Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lavish Lunatic

A mali
Morally bankrupt? I guess Gaia is filling that hole in its soul with gold?

I wish they'd fill it with hookers and alcohol genuine care for the users instead.

Impassioned Misfit

Let's not play a game of telephone. Sources?

IIRC, the thing they said about the economists wasn't that the economy would go back to normal but that it was healthy. That didn't turn out to be true, obviously, but someone should dig up sources
X_Gokai-Okuzuko_X

IIRC, the thing they said about the economists wasn't that the economy would go back to normal but that it was healthy. That didn't turn out to be true, obviously, but someone should dig up sources

Sources to what?

There was a sticky thread that was removed from GCD that was a FAQ about why they were being released. In that, it did state they were temporary and they were aware of the economy would take a small hit, and they stated it would not negatively impact the economy in the long run because it would not be a permanent release. When people started calling them out on it after the third or fourth time of Flynn's Booty being released then they removed it to cover the fact that they said would not be a permanent item.

If you are speaking of Lanzer stating they were most likely done with it, you can look here:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/ask-the-admin-archives/ask-the-admin-09-30-2013/t.88231095_675/#675

...and the economy being called "healthy" was stated at the recent Fanime panel:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-community-discussion/fanime-panel-the-gaian-economy-is-healthy/t.92235927/

There wasn't an economist involved in what they said at the Fanime panel from what I can tell. It was just something stated by one of the panelists (loose translation from what people have written), "More people are using it which signifies growth, and therefore it's healthy."

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but you can always search for the information yourself if you are in doubt.

Liberal Fatcat

I knew I didnt believe a word of that "temporary" s**t. If they cared about the economy at all, which a year ago was pretty damn good in my opinion, they would have never released them in the first place.

Lavish Lunatic

This Isnt Sparta
I knew I didnt believe a word of that "temporary" s**t. If they cared about the economy at all, which a year ago was pretty damn good in my opinion, they would have never released them in the first place.

I know, man. crying
I know.

Ice-Cold Angel

34,125 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Pie For All! 300
I get it now. The CEO is playing God and he wants to make it seem like a year is just a passing moment for him. rolleyes

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Quote:
Is that why you then made an 18+ tumblr ripoff, just to cover your asses?

IIRC, they were already starting work on their 18+ site before they released the first gold gen aka Flynn's Booty.

Unstoppable Seeker

15,325 Points
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Squash Smasher 50
Eal Cat
Amoreyna
Buuuut Flynn's Booty was temporary! They are all temporary!
It's just that there is one after another in quick succession, but technically, they're temporary!

rolleyes

Pretty much this. Smoke and mirrors are their main tactic.
Pretty much why I don't buy into gold gens. Everything I have wasn't bought with GC unless I saved up through offers for an MC once in a while gonk Gold gens and GC would render me poor with little payback these days! Not buying the whole 'they're just a temporary thing' at any rate stare

Lavish Lunatic

Sakura Latte
Quote:
Is that why you then made an 18+ tumblr ripoff, just to cover your asses?

IIRC, they were already starting work on their 18+ site before they released the first gold gen aka Flynn's Booty.

They still used the money from the gens to pay for it. mad

Impassioned Misfit

I have a tissue
X_Gokai-Okuzuko_X

Sources to what?

There was a sticky thread that was removed from GCD that was a FAQ about why they were being released. In that, it did state they were temporary and they were aware of the economy would take a small hit, and they stated it would not negatively impact the economy in the long run because it would not be a permanent release. When people started calling them out on it after the third or fourth time of Flynn's Booty being released then they removed it to cover the fact that they said would not be a permanent item.

If you are speaking of Lanzer stating they were most likely done with it, you can look here:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/ask-the-admin-archives/ask-the-admin-09-30-2013/t.88231095_675/#675

...and the economy being called "healthy" was stated at the recent Fanime panel:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-community-discussion/fanime-panel-the-gaian-economy-is-healthy/t.92235927/

There wasn't an economist involved in what they said at the Fanime panel from what I can tell. It was just something stated by one of the panelists (loose translation from what people have written), "More people are using it which signifies growth, and therefore it's healthy."

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but you can always search for the information yourself if you are in doubt.
Sources to the information the person the person I was responding to was abridging. The OP. In this case, the burden of proof is on the person making the claims, not the person asking for sources.. exclaim

Lanzer didn't say they were for sure done with it, he made no promises or other indications. He did not say that they were most likely done with it. He literally said "I think so". There's a huge difference between those statements. I'm not saying this take apart anything or to ~play devil's advocate~, because all of this entire business is shitty and I am staunchly opposed to what Gaia has become and is doing, it's just that with how easy misinformation spreads, we need to be certain to quote exactly when possible and not just summarize, because although the ideas behind saying the different things are similar, they have different connotations and those ball up something nasty.

Lanzer said, "I believe so" in response to a person asking if, "Will Flynn's Booty really "fly away" this time?" But somehow, that turned into, as the OP put it, "I thought that you were only making them so that you could make some quick cash to cover your asses temporarily," and, "You said in AtA that they were temporary." Neither of these things were stated. Lanzer only said that he believed Flynn would go away. Based on the things you linked, literally no one ever said, "Gold sinks are temporary", which OP quoted as if someone *had* said it. Distorted truth is still not truth. Do you get what I mean?

Velvetine Zealot

37,225 Points
  • A Magnificent Epilogue to Our Youth 500
  • Dauntless Sovereign 500
  • Melonsta X 500
Cause they're ******** lying. They're pathological liars, all of them.
X_Gokai-Okuzuko_X
I have a tissue
X_Gokai-Okuzuko_X

Sources to what?

Sources to the information the person the person I was responding to was abridging. The OP. In this case, the burden of proof is on the person making the claims, not the person asking for sources.. exclaim

Lanzer didn't say they were for sure done with it, he made no promises or other indications. He did not say that they were most likely done with it. He literally said "I think so". There's a huge difference between those statements. I'm not saying this take apart anything or to ~play devil's advocate~, because all of this entire business is shitty and I am staunchly opposed to what Gaia has become and is doing, it's just that with how easy misinformation spreads, we need to be certain to quote exactly when possible and not just summarize, because although the ideas behind saying the different things are similar, they have different connotations and those ball up something nasty.

Lanzer said, "I believe so" in response to a person asking if, "Will Flynn's Booty really "fly away" this time?" But somehow, that turned into, as the OP put it, "I thought that you were only making them so that you could make some quick cash to cover your asses temporarily," and, "You said in AtA that they were temporary." Neither of these things were stated. Lanzer only said that he believed Flynn would go away. Based on the things you linked, literally no one ever said, "Gold sinks are temporary", which OP quoted as if someone *had* said it. Distorted truth is still not truth. Do you get what I mean?

I do not believe what he said was fully misconstrued, though. "I believe so" can be taken as, "I strongly think this is true".

If it wasn't true that they were done for good then it should not have been said- "thinking" is not the same as "positively", but they both have the same inherent connotations dependent on how you usually accept phrases colloquially. Since there was nothing to dispute otherwise put into that post, if I saw it when it was posted, then yeah, I would take it as partial confirmation.

But, then again, they never should have said they were temporary, either. What he said ignited a lot of people into false hope all over again.

The weight of what Lanzer said comes from people looking to Lanzer as the leader of the community- he created the site, after all.

If Lanzer is not someone we can rely on then who can we rely on?

Impassioned Misfit

I have a tissue
X_Gokai-Okuzuko_X
I have a tissue
X_Gokai-Okuzuko_X

Sources to what?

I do not believe what he said was fully misconstrued, though. "I believe so" can be taken as, "I strongly think this is true".

If it wasn't true that they were done for good then it should not have been said- "thinking" is not the same as "positively", but they both have the same inherent connotations dependent on how you usually accept phrases colloquially. Since there was nothing to dispute otherwise put into that post, if I saw it when it was posted, then yeah, I would take it as partial confirmation.

But, then again, they never should have said they were temporary, either. What he said ignited a lot of people into false hope all over again.

The weight of what Lanzer said comes from people looking to Lanzer as the leader of the community- he created the site, after all.

If Lanzer is not someone we can rely on then who can we rely on?
But what it was apparently taken as may not have been what he /meant/, that's what I'm saying. "I believe so" can also be taken as, "As far as I'm aware," or, "I don't know for certain, but I'm inclined to think this is true". Note that he didn't use absolutes. He didn't say yes, or no, he said what he did, which is like a positive version of "definitely maybe".

Lanzer has had a long list of... not necessarily getting things /wrong/, but saying things in a way that users will think it means one thing and then it either doesn't end up happening or the opposite does. He's really not much more than a figurehead corporate trots out when things are bad anymore. Like when the survey shenanigans went down last year. He's a familiar face, many users associate him with good memories, so him being their talking piece isn't as much of a surprise as I wish it were.

Considering it's becoming very clear that Gaia has made it clear via their actions that they knew exactly what they were doing since they started with these gold gens last year, I'm wondering if maybe he answered in a noncommittal way on a company line to get us sedated for a time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff