Welcome to Gaia! ::

Empyrean Spirit

Oh, yes please. emotion_kirakira
I'm quite fond of the hair ornaments and front-heavy obi sashes. Perhaps they could make the ornaments separate, or even incorporate them into wig styles and colors as they do with new hair sets (e.g. light, dark, etc.).

Versatile Fashionista

NAM-JAI

Oh, yes please. emotion_kirakira
I'm quite fond of the hair ornaments and front-heavy obi sashes. Perhaps they could make the ornaments separate, or even incorporate them into wig styles and colors as they do with new hair sets (e.g. light, dark, etc.).

yeah i wish they will make some wigs with hair ornaments and some without hair ornaments so that we can decorate the wigs ourselves.

Versatile Fashionista

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
I keep seeing this ad on youtube... Fergie dancing with some "geisha."
Of course they are actresses... unless they actually went through the trouble of hiring a couple and transporting them all the way to LA.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
At least they look pretty good.
I especially love the wild kimono print.
That is from a LA hairstylist's instagram.

Versatile Fashionista

Kelso The Great
I keep seeing this ad on youtube... Fergie dancing with some "geisha."
Of course they are actresses... unless they actually went through the trouble of hiring a couple and transporting them all the way to LA.
At least they look pretty good.
I especially love the wild kimono print.
That is from a LA hairstylist's instagram.

heart i like the print. they must be actresses since i think real geisha wouldn't go for this maybe (idk, maybe they would but i think geisha like to be accurate and so far i've never seen a real geisha in japanese commercials dressed wrong. the real geisha and maiko in commercials are dressed accurate) and the style isn't legit since the kimono were not put on right and wasn't cut right for them. supposed to be a fold underneath the obi so that the kimono won't touch the ground but the kimono was cut short so there wouldn't have to be a fold and the collar is peeking out on the side.

that's why people use a special cloth to tie around the kimono so that the flap will hide the rest of the kimono's collar and raise the kimono off the ground. also it looks like the sleeves were kinda cut wrong but still an awesome kimono. i wish their hair ornaments could have matched the colorful graffiti on the kimono. their hair ornaments looked like it would have been better on a kimono that's much plainer. would have been better if they put on colorful kanzashi even though that would make them look like maiko but who cares xD. it would have matched the craziness of the kimono. the hair ornaments and the kimono go together like night and day. it just doesn't go together to me >__<.

this is what's used to tie a kimono and make it fold underneath or use the koshihimo to tie the sleeves back:

so that there will be a fold underneath to raise the kimono off the ground so it won't drag if you plan on walking the streets and don't want to get the kimono dirty. i've seen geisha and maiko actually hold their kimono up while they walk. i guess they need to show off the elegant kimono for the routine they are doing. so they don't use the koshihimo to raise it off the ground.
User Image

I don't get why they don't use the koshihimo though. some do, some don't. i don't get it. why not use the koshihimo when you know you have to walk the streets and when it's time to perform and just untie it when you have to perform?

Red thinks.... xD

oh wait!... would look weird to untie in front of guests, i guess. so i guess for some performances they need the koshihimo and for other routines they don't need a koshihimo to hold it up. depends on the story of the dance they are telling, i guess. i bet it is kinda annoying for the first timers when they have to hold on to their stuff and hold the tail of the kimono up. i know that would annoy me but i would also be happy that i'm doing what i love to do. in my mind, i would be like: I'M PART OF ART, YEAH MF!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe the reason why some don't use it is because they like flaunting all of their kimono without the hassle of untying their kimono while others on some days just feel like tying that shat up and be done with it xD.

Versatile Fashionista

probably the reason why i really don't see any oiran items and the popular sign was taken off the thread, could be because i've been ranting too much and the rants are negative sometimes. >__< reason why i've been ranting because it should have been done by now. it's the next best thing an artist could make for gaia. i shouldn't have ranted but i'm just tired of seeing a repeat of the same things. the stuff is cool and drawn greatly but i wish oiran could be added.

well at least gisaeng or being noticed. i wish we could get more korean hairstyles though. the one for seongmi isn't legit but it's still beautiful. we only have one legit hairstyle for gisaeng style. i want more braided updo's. mrgreen let me hush my mouth, i know artists be like Red needs to stfu we doin' the best we can atm xD.

DAT FANTASY!!!! emotion_kirakira
User Image

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
I think the difference in tying your kimono up VS letting it drag is the setting and occasion.
It seems like the more formal styles let it all hang out, while more casual styles keep it short and sweet.

As well as seasonal changes, I would prefer a lighter and shorter kimono over a large heavy one for the summer.

As well as tying the sleeves back... I see it being used more for when you are working with your arms and need to restrain the fabric... say when you are washing something.

CASUAL VS FORMAL
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Both Furisodes are similar enough, featuring bright patterns and colors, but there are a few differences... The casual kimono has more contemporary patterns, and follows a more casual wear, where as the Formal is much more similar to the Junihitoe Kimono, multiple layers, a heavy bottom hem, and excess of decorations comparatively.

SUMMER VS WINTER
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Summer Kimonos are commonly made from light breathable fabrics like cotton and silk, the thread counts in the fabric is probably much lighter. Winter Kimonos usually include a heavy lining.
The winter Coming of Age Festival has some of the best examples of Winter Fashion... Furry Lapels are all the rage. The Naked Barbie kimono came from there. Just check out these amazing Maru quality obis!
Remember the Maru Obi is worn when they are revealed as official Maiko in the Erikae ceremony. One of the most formal occasions in a Geisha's life.

Versatile Fashionista

Kelso The Great
I think the difference in tying your kimono up VS letting it drag is the setting and occasion.
It seems like the more formal styles let it all hang out, while more casual styles keep it short and sweet.

As well as seasonal changes, I would prefer a lighter and shorter kimono over a large heavy one for the summer.

As well as tying the sleeves back... I see it being used more for when you are working with your arms and need to restrain the fabric... say when you are washing something.

CASUAL VS FORMAL

Both Furisodes are similar enough, featuring bright patterns and colors, but there are a few differences... The casual kimono has more contemporary patterns, and follows a more casual wear, where as the Formal is much more similar to the Junihitoe Kimono, multiple layers, a heavy bottom hem, and excess of decorations comparatively.

SUMMER VS WINTER
Summer Kimonos are commonly made from light breathable fabrics like cotton and silk, the thread counts in the fabric is probably much lighter. Winter Kimonos usually include a heavy lining.
The winter Coming of Age Festival has some of the best examples of Winter Fashion... Furry Lapels are all the rage. The Naked Barbie kimono came from there. Just check out these amazing Maru quality obis!
Remember the Maru Obi is worn when they are revealed as official Maiko in the Erikae ceremony. One of the most formal occasions in a Geisha's life.

i know why it's used for the sleeves.

yeah i figured as much, that it's used for special occasions.

the spoiler won't open for me.

Invisible Senshi

YES.
GOOD IDEA.
I just hope those Zeevex cards would be available! THEN I would be interested in buying Gaia Cash!

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Got another Yokai to share!
KERAKERA-ONNA!
倩兮女
けらけらおんな

TRANSLATION: cackling woman
HABITAT: alleys near red light districts
DIET: none

APPEARANCE: Kerakera-onna are gigantic, horrid yokai found in red light districts, who get their name from the cackling sound of their laughter. They appear as an enormous, middle aged woman in colorful brothel kimonos, with thick make-up and slathered-on lipstick. They skulks around in alleyways and on empty roads, dancing, laughing, and mocking the profession that worked them to death. They are rarely seen outside of the pleasure district responsible for their creation.

INTERACTIONS: When a man passes a lonely street or alley haunted by a kerakera-onna, she unleashes a horrible, shrill cackle that can only be heard by him. A weak-hearted man faints right on the spot, but one who has the constitution to run away finds that no matter where he goes or who he turns to, the cackle echoes in his ears, and nobody but he can hear it. Eventually these men are driven insane by the incessant laughing – repayment for the lifetime of abuse the kerakera-onna went through.

ORIGIN: During the Edo period, the average lifespan of a prostitute was only 23 years, as the demands and hardships of such a life were too much for most to bear. Work hours were long and difficult, pay was low, and abuse was commonplace, both from clients and employers. Very few women made it to middle age, but like most long-lived things in Japan, those who did were said to become very powerful. When a prostitute died after serving in such a painful world for so long, her ghost could not pass quickly and easily on to the next life. These ghosts become the kerakera-onna.

Versatile Fashionista

another rig without any oiran items. i saw one asian item, but again it's geishaesque. they could have made a winter oiran. add some snowflakes to the obi and kimono. =( well here goes another disappointment, but i still like the items though. i guess i'll just post in here for fun since i was told a person did look at the thread, but yet i still do not see any oiran stuff. just looks like it is not gonna happen until i guess someone miraculously discovers the style or a popular anime character comes out with a oiranesque style. i notice kill la kill characters got copied very quickly and that is now a popular anime. other oiranesque characters aren't that popular and get overlooked quickly.

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Frost Maiden
or Wisteria Maiden? I love the skirt and sleeves.

Versatile Fashionista

Kelso The Great
Frost Maiden
or Wisteria Maiden? I love the skirt and sleeves.

I saw it and it's nice, but still they could have made a snow oiran or something or at least make the sleeves look like kimono sleeves. they keep making us kunoichi dresses that you can put with half of the kimono to make one dress. they could do far much better.
i hate to say this, but these artists are lacking imo when they try to make kimonoesque looks. what the phuq is up with these little *ss sleeves we keep getting, when they can make us long flapping glorious sleeves. it's like no one sits down and thinks of these things. i'm tired of getting chinese sleeves on what looks like a japanese kimonoesuqe look. give us some d*mn long flapping sleeves. THAT WOULD BE WAY COOLER! but no, since i'm ranting no artists wants to follow my ideas, i guess. since they don't want to then oh well then, continue being in a box artists. they saw this thread and turnt their noses up, i guess, and continued with the same crap. i'm happy they finally payed attention to gisaeng but oiran continues to be skipped over while i see a repeat of the same old cutesy wootsy, demonic, cosplay, angelic stuff.

Versatile Fashionista

nice parasol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff