Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

I think a Vocaloids Forum or Sub is a ...

Great Idea! :)...Why Didn't I Think of It? 0.48344370860927 48.3% [ 73 ]
A Bad Idea...Why'd You Have to Mention It? 0.3046357615894 30.5% [ 46 ]
Gold! 0.21192052980132 21.2% [ 32 ]
Total Votes:[ 151 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 >

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

Erogenous Jones
Strike One apparently as it was moved to the CB, which, as everybody knows, is pretty much death for any Topic.

Gosh. Are you sure? I've seen the CB have excellent discussions about manga and such, which I did like better than what was put out in the A/M/C. sweatdrop Additionally there are heaps of Vocaloid fans there.

But well, if you want to talk about its software or you're developing your own sound synth, maybe ask a mod if it can go to the Tech Talk forum? I think you could post it in the A/M/C if you're just talking about the anime/manga character Miku - there is a Vocaloid manga put there. What were you discussing, specifically?

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
BOMB4Y

Gosh. Are you sure? I've seen the CB have excellent discussions about manga and such, which I did like better than what was put out in the A/M/C. sweatdrop Additionally there are heaps of Vocaloid fans there.

But well, if you want to talk about its software or you're developing your own sound synth, maybe ask a mod if it can go to the Tech Talk forum? I think you could post it in the A/M/C if you're just talking about the anime/manga character Miku - there is a Vocaloid manga put there. What were you discussing, specifically?

The Topic was about Live Vocaloid Concerts
Being new to the whole Vocaloid thing, I'd just discovered that such a thing even existed, and being pretty enthused about it, I hoped to discuss it as well as learn more.

The trouble with posting in disparate subs is that there isn't really one place where people could go and expect to find discussions they could join or post questions they were hoping to have answered.
If there were one sub, then at least people would know they had arrived at a place where their Topics would be seen by people of similar interests and perhaps there'd be more discussion overall, as I see the question of "where should I Post" being something that could negatively impact people Posting in the first place.
To answer your question re: what my interest is, to be honest, because I'm new to the subject, it's extremely broad right now.
I've had questions about what's available to buy and where would be the best place to buy it.
I've wondered about how the whole Vocaloid thing works....is it software only? Is that software suited only to musicians? Can it be found for PC?
With regards to games, I was wondering about what types of game it is and how to play it, what software/hardware requirements there are, etc.
Because it's produced in Japan, I was wondering about the availability of games/software/video in English.
I've also had questions about names of songs that appear on the CD's I've bought because the text is in Kanji.
I've asked if there were versions of Vocaloid songs that were performed by real people.
I've considered buying some figures and wanted to know if I should be buying direct from a store in Japan, or if it was safe to buy from an Ebay seller.

And on, and on, and on....

Because Vocaloids is something that covers a substantial and diverse number of topics (from software, to collecting, to music, etc.), I thought it would be nice if there were a "central clearing house" as it were, where people who wanted to discuss/ask questions could go and know immediately that they were in the right place.

As for the CB issue...
I could be wrong, as I've tended to stay away from the CB as a rule because of the general tenor of the Forum, but I've never really thought of it as being a place for any kind of serious discussion.
However, regardless of that, because of it's very nature (completely unfocused Topics), it's not what I'm hoping for.

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

Erogenous Jones

Sorry! I hadn't seen your quote. It kinda got buried under a heap of others. redface

But thanks for explaining! I kinda see where you're coming from in this case.

It's kinda true that without a specific forum dedicated to a subject with a lot of facets to it, it would be hard to gather all points and mash them together to learn more about them, or discuss them - and still have an environment that isn't a mishmash of a lot of things. I'm not sure if we have any Spring Cleaning this time, but it's always worth a try asking. 3nodding

Having a one-stop is never a bad idea, and if Vocaloid is popular, perhaps Gaia might consider it. Have you tried petitioning for it as well?

I know you're facing a problem with disparate subs, but it's unfortunately what you can do for now, if you really want to discuss something at the moment - having a craving so to speak. Breaking it up into bits and pieces and making different threads about it in specific forums might work, if only a little. If a discussion topic is specific to a certain theme, it can then belong to a certain forum. If it's a Vocaloid concert you're talking about, it can go to the Music or Entertainment forum, after all. If it's a collectible for example, you could probably post it in the Toys and Collectibles forum. You might want to ask a moderator before that, however.

You'd be surprised at how serious the CB can get when it comes to certain things. I was pleasantly surprised myself. Give it a shot, bump your thread up - you've got nothing to lose, right? There will be off-topic chatter, but to a certain degree fans tend to be quite agreeable and are very excited and happy to talk about it.

Questionable Conversationalist

I actually am into a good bit of Vocaloid music and can understand why you'd want a sub-forum for it and Vocaloid discussion. My only worry would be actually having enough to civilly discuss (enough to convince Gaia it's worth the extra coding and bandwidth to make in the first place and then let it continue to exist) and issues arsing because of that.

Vocaloid has no canon but many fans of the music are fangirls/fanboys of the mascot images and fans of canon and shipping and all manner of nonsense (nonsense I partake in as well but for the sake of this, it's poppycock). Discussion points could easily turn into discussing the technical aspects and how to help others understand the softwear to discussing the hidden or obvious meanings in music videos but then it might devolve into "THAT SONG WAS ABOUT RIN AND LEN BEING A COUPLE" "EW GROSS THEY'RE BROTHER AND SISTER" "YOU'RE BOTH WRONG THEY'RE JUST MIRROR IMAGES WITH NO CANON" "FORGET ALL OF YOU, NICO SINGER XYZ SUNG THIS SONG WAY BETTER THAN THE KAGAMINE TWINS AND SOMEONE MADE A SAILOR MOON VERSION OF THE MUSIC VIDEO THAT LOOKS WAY BETTER SEE" and then that brings in the Nico singers and things just get really really messy when that fandom is brought in too? And what about people trying to start Vocaloid rp in the forum?

And then would people be able to discuss the release of Vocaloid figures as well? Figures are completely different from technical software and music, but they're still very much part of the Vocaloid fandom.

I just think it would take some time for mods to decide on what to figure out for the parameters of on-topic Vocaloid discussion since there's so much that makes up the Vocaloid fandom but to prevent misplaced or tossed threads mods would need to know what to generally expect and how to write the rules in regards to that, if that makes sense?

I'm not trying to be overly negative though, I think a Vocaloid subforum would be pretty useful and still generate a lot of attention. Naruto, Adventure Time, and MLP have their own seemingly permanent sub-forums, I think Vocaloid has enough to get one, but it might not be a priority to mods because much of the fandom live in Youtube comments or on NicoNico or in other forums I think? Best of luck though, man, Lolita Fashion got a Hot Topic several months ago and Gaia gave it to us as a permanent Sub-Forum, I hope you get your Vocaloid forum as well c:

KuroKageHane's Queen

Sparkling Star

Hello, I followed you here from the AtA!

I love everything Vocaloid, but I especially collect images and wallpapers of them. I'm not sure there's a big enough community to get an actual forum or sub-forum, but it would be nicer than a guild in my opinion..

KuroKageHane's Queen

Sparkling Star

Milady Alluca
And then would people be able to discuss the release of Vocaloid figures as well? Figures are completely different from technical software and music, but they're still very much part of the Vocaloid fandom.

I just think it would take some time for mods to decide on what to figure out for the parameters of on-topic Vocaloid discussion since there's so much that makes up the Vocaloid fandom but to prevent misplaced or tossed threads mods would need to know what to generally expect and how to write the rules in regards to that, if that makes sense?

That was part of the point the thread creator made in the AtA tonight. That we should have a sub-forum because Vocaloid has so many different mediums and ways to interact/celebrate it. Obviously the RP part wouldn't be allowed, and any other anime/manga/music area probably has their own arguments over shipping, etc at one time or another, right? 3nodding
I've seen good discussions over pairings and just general romantic/love stories though, not everything is an argument.

I have no idea what to expect out of the fanbase of Vocaloid since there isn't really any one single place to go for every single need in regards to it. I also don't know what the average age is. eek

Level Min's Partner

Beloved Ally

20,575 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
I think this would be a great idea considering that people never know where to post Vocaloid-related stuff. While most of Vocaloid stuff is about music, people like to discuss the characters, as well (amongst other things). I suggest if they make a Vocaloid sub-forum, it can also contain Utau-related stuff. My friend once wanted to find other Utau users on Gaia but she kept posting in the wrong forums-- seems music wound up to be the best fit... but anyways-- a Vocaloid sub-forum will probably save a lot of trouble.

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
Milady Alluca
I actually am into a good bit of Vocaloid music and can understand why you'd want a sub-forum for it and Vocaloid discussion. My only worry would be actually having enough to civilly discuss (enough to convince Gaia it's worth the extra coding and bandwidth to make in the first place and then let it continue to exist) and issues arsing because of that.

Vocaloid has no canon but many fans of the music are fangirls/fanboys of the mascot images and fans of canon and shipping and all manner of nonsense (nonsense I partake in as well but for the sake of this, it's poppycock). Discussion points could easily turn into discussing the technical aspects and how to help others understand the softwear to discussing the hidden or obvious meanings in music videos but then it might devolve into "THAT SONG WAS ABOUT RIN AND LEN BEING A COUPLE" "EW GROSS THEY'RE BROTHER AND SISTER" "YOU'RE BOTH WRONG THEY'RE JUST MIRROR IMAGES WITH NO CANON" "FORGET ALL OF YOU, NICO SINGER XYZ SUNG THIS SONG WAY BETTER THAN THE KAGAMINE TWINS AND SOMEONE MADE A SAILOR MOON VERSION OF THE MUSIC VIDEO THAT LOOKS WAY BETTER SEE" and then that brings in the Nico singers and things just get really really messy when that fandom is brought in too? And what about people trying to start Vocaloid rp in the forum?

I'm not trying to be overly negative though, I think a Vocaloid subforum would be pretty useful and still generate a lot of attention. Naruto, Adventure Time, and MLP have their own seemingly permanent sub-forums, I think Vocaloid has enough to get one, but it might not be a priority to mods because much of the fandom live in Youtube comments or on NicoNico or in other forums I think? Best of luck though, man, Lolita Fashion got a Hot Topic several months ago and Gaia gave it to us as a permanent Sub-Forum, I hope you get your Vocaloid forum as well c:

I'm really hoping so as well, simply because the more I get into Vocaloids, the more there seems to be to know and do.
I'll readily admit that I'm too close to the subject to honestly judge the overall level of interest...because I've become so enthralled by almost everything about them, I'm constantly discovering new things to be interested in.
I can see where the forum might be a handful, and have no real idea of who/what to expect, but I think that's like most forums when you get right down to it.
As you point out, Vocaloids appeal to an extremely broad range of people simply because they exist in such an array of media. There's undoubtedly going to be the fanboy/girl segment, but hopefully when things got too "messy", the mods could step in.

And Thanks! smile

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
MageQueenHoshi
Hello, I followed you here from the AtA!

I love everything Vocaloid, but I especially collect images and wallpapers of them. I'm not sure there's a big enough community to get an actual forum or sub-forum, but it would be nicer than a guild in my opinion..

And that's an aspect of them I hadn't even consider ( as much as I love Miku, my favourite cat is, and will always be my wallpaper. wink ).

Since I got the Vocaloid bug about a month ago, I've bought a concert DVD, several CD's, and a couple of figures.
I'e also looked into the Vocaloid software and games, and being completely new to the whole thing, I've had tons of questions.
For some reason, I'm most comfortable discussing this sort of stuff on Gaia and would really like to be able to do it here, but not having a central area for the topic has made it surprisingly challenging.

There are a lot of Vocaloid fans here, I'm sure, but I think the fact that they have to really look hard to find a place to discuss them has discouraged a lot of conversation.

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
Level Max
I think this would be a great idea considering that people never know where to post Vocaloid-related stuff. While most of Vocaloid stuff is about music, people like to discuss the characters, as well (amongst other things). I suggest if they make a Vocaloid sub-forum, it can also contain Utau-related stuff. My friend once wanted to find other Utau users on Gaia but she kept posting in the wrong forums-- seems music wound up to be the best fit... but anyways-- a Vocaloid sub-forum will probably save a lot of trouble.

That's a good point.
I think part of the problem with Vocaloid stuff having to go into Forums for which they are only really a small part ( a small part of Music, a small part of Collecting, a small part of Gaming, etc., etc., etc.) is that it's tough to find folks of similar mind amidst the crowd of other interests.

By centralizing Vocaloid topics in one place, I wouldn't be surprised if all those small parts added up to a decent sized community. smile

Heck, since I've been listening to so much of the music, I've also been searching out the lyrics and even that opens doors for discussion seeing as some of the lyrics are so contrary to what you might have expected them to be from the music. (Thinks Merry Merry Christmas which has terribly sad lyrics and Rakshasa and Carcasses which is just eek )

KuroKageHane's Queen

Sparkling Star

Erogenous Jones
And that's an aspect of them I hadn't even consider ( as much as I love Miku, my favourite cat is, and will always be my wallpaper. wink ).

Since I got the Vocaloid bug about a month ago, I've bought a concert DVD, several CD's, and a couple of figures.
I'e also looked into the Vocaloid software and games, and being completely new to the whole thing, I've had tons of questions.
For some reason, I'm most comfortable discussing this sort of stuff on Gaia and would really like to be able to do it here, but not having a central area for the topic has made it surprisingly challenging.

There are a lot of Vocaloid fans here, I'm sure, but I think the fact that they have to really look hard to find a place to discuss them has discouraged a lot of conversation.

Have you heard of Reddit? Community website for seriously EVERYTHING on the earth just about. You can customize it in a ton of different ways.
I'm sure there is a sub-reddit for Vocaloid there, and if not you can make one! I can also point you to a sub and other sites where there are plenty of images posted, mostly of Miku and Luka, sometimes Rin. 3nodding
Of course YouTube has lots of videos/songs. I've watched a lot of the live concert footage on there, was so jealous all the concerts I could go to were sold out! emo

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
MageQueenHoshi
Erogenous Jones

Have you heard of Reddit? Community website for seriously EVERYTHING on the earth just about. You can customize it in a ton of different ways.
I'm sure there is a sub-reddit for Vocaloid there, and if not you can make one! I can also point you to a sub and other sites where there are plenty of images posted, mostly of Miku and Luka, sometimes Rin. 3nodding
Of course YouTube has lots of videos/songs. I've watched a lot of the live concert footage on there, was so jealous all the concerts I could go to were sold out! emo

I've heard of Reddit, but never been there.
To be honest, Gaia is about the only place I regularly frequent for Forum type activities.
I've always found there to be so many people here with so many interests and talents, that I never really needed or wanted to go anywhere else.
I may be being selfish, but I'd like for it to stay that way. redface

I've watched at least three of the concerts on YouTube so far (Tokyo and Saporro 2011 as well as SIngapore) and loved them all, which is why I bought the DVDs from CDJapan (haven't received them yet though emo ).
And Yeah, YouTube has also been a goldmine for videos.
Trouble is, it just makes me want to buy the games and software, and that leads to a whole batch of new questions! xp

KuroKageHane's Queen

Sparkling Star

Erogenous Jones
To be honest, Gaia is about the only place I regularly frequent for Forum type activities.
I've always found there to be so many people here with so many interests and talents, that I never really needed or wanted to go anywhere else.

I've watched at least three of the concerts on YouTube so far (Tokyo and Saporro 2011 as well as SIngapore) and loved them all, which is why I bought the DVDs from CDJapan (haven't received them yet though emo ).
Trouble is, it just makes me want to buy the games and software, and that leads to a whole batch of new questions! xp

Reddit isn't a forum at all though. It's...well. It's Reddit. You only see what you want to see if you make an account, which means you can unsubscribe from everything that's default (which I recommend removing most of the defaults anyway, pure trash) and add in the good stuff, like anime, awwnime, manga, ..pick something you like and there's probably a sub-reddit for it. There's also gaming, fantasy, so many freaking things.

If there's already one in place, however, we would have to abide by the rules the mods have made there, sadly. Unless it's completely dead and unused I supposed we could petition admins..but I'm getting ahead of myself.
I only brought it up simply because it's a great place to bring together everything for Vocaloid if for some reason Gaia/users decide(s) to not give a subforum here. 3nodding

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
MageQueenHoshi
Erogenous Jones

Reddit isn't a forum at all though. It's...well. It's Reddit. You only see what you want to see if you make an account, which means you can unsubscribe from everything that's default (which I recommend removing most of the defaults anyway, pure trash) and add in the good stuff, like anime, awwnime, manga, ..pick something you like and there's probably a sub-reddit for it. There's also gaming, fantasy, so many freaking things.

If there's already one in place, however, we would have to abide by the rules the mods have made there, sadly. Unless it's completely dead and unused I supposed we could petition admins..but I'm getting ahead of myself.
I only brought it up simply because it's a great place to bring together everything for Vocaloid if for some reason Gaia/users decide(s) to not give a subforum here. 3nodding

Nope. If it can't happen here, I'm entirely open to making it happen somewhere else.
Gaia has been my home for well over three years because it's had pretty much everything I've wanted in an online community, but I'm finding my inability to delve more deeply into something that's really caught my interest to be kind of frustrating, so if divided loyalties is what it takes, divided loyalties it is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff