Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

I think a Vocaloids Forum or Sub is a ...

Great Idea! :)...Why Didn't I Think of It? 0.48344370860927 48.3% [ 73 ]
A Bad Idea...Why'd You Have to Mention It? 0.3046357615894 30.5% [ 46 ]
Gold! 0.21192052980132 21.2% [ 32 ]
Total Votes:[ 151 ]
1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 >

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
Having just discovered Vocaloids and looking for a place to discuss them here, I've quickly found that they don't seem to have a place to call their own.
Perhaps it's because they're more than music, games or programming, there doesn't seem to be a place where they fit any of the existing Forums (and where a guy can post a Topic without it ending up in the Chatterbox or Recycle Bin gonk )
For the uninitiated, Vocaloids, at their core, are a computer program which allows users to create their own music and accompanying vocals using synthetic singers.
But their popularity has spawned a substantial variety of products and culture beyond their core.

-There is of course, the program, which has gone through a large number of updates and expansions...discussion topic there.
-There is the creative process...the creation of music and lyrics.
-There is also the music, which is surprisingly popular and broad based in it's appeal.
-There is the fandom for many of the more accomplished/prolific producers.
-There's also a pretty large number of Vocaloid games for a number of different gaming platforms.
-There's merchandise in the form of collectible figures, books and almost anything you can think of that can carry an image of a particular Vocaloid character.
-There's associated spin-off software which allows people to make their own Vocaloid videos.
-There's concerts in which Vocaloids, accompanied by a live band, play to live crowds, as well as dance parties and MMD (Miku Miku Dance) parties.
-There's also the cos-play angle, and probably a batch of other ranges of interest that I haven't even thought of yet, so it's pretty apparent that the Vocaloids subject is not one that can be neatly pigeon-holed into one of Gaia's existing Forums and, imo, would benefit from having a single base where people who were interested could go and be assured that they would find people who shared their interest.

For what it's worth, when it comes to issues of popular culture, Gaia is often my first stop when I want to learn more and share my enthusiasm, and it's kinda disappointing that something that seems to have as wide a following as Vocaloids doesn't have a place of their own on here.

Hoping this can be rectified.

Thanks. smile

Edit: ... Since posting this Topic almost three months ago, it's become apparent that Vocaloids seem poised for a push into Western society. Sega is launching their first ever English version of the Project Diva game (Project Diva F), Crypton Logic is launching their first ever English version of the Vocaloid software (Hatsune Miku English) and Vocaloid concert films are having theatrical releases in Western cities so it seems possible, if not likely, that interest in Vocaloids is going to spike in the near future.

Edit 2: ... I've created a Vocaloid Guild as a temporary method of having a place where people interested in anything related to the subject can gather and chat while we wait for a sub of our own. Don't be surprised if you get an Invite if you Post here in favour of a Vocaloid Sub. wink

Edit 3:...
A really great "Introduction to Vocaloid" article from Australia.

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
I thought that the Vocaloid craze had been dying down since a few years ago sweatdrop . I don't think there would be enough interest though in making a full subforum for it sweatdrop .

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
Zandykins
I thought that the Vocaloid craze had been dying down since a few years ago sweatdrop . I don't think there would be enough interest though in making a full subforum for it sweatdrop .

That's possible.
I do seem to be a bit late in jumping on the bandwagon, but I noticed they've done a live concert as recently as early this year, and there's apparently more and more software being released all the time, so I'd have to imagine there's still a fair bit of interest, even if it's not as substantial as it may have been a few years back.

My problem is that I've tried posting in a couple different Forums that I thought might be appropriate and had them end up in the Recycle Bin.
Add to that, the "music purists" (haters), and it can be tough to get a discussion started or a question answered.

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
Erogenous Jones
Zandykins

That's possible.
I do seem to be a bit late in jumping on the bandwagon, but I noticed they've done a live concert as recently as early this year, and there's apparently more and more software being released all the time, so I'd have to imagine there's still a fair bit of interest, even if it's not as substantial as it may have been a few years back.

My problem is that I've tried posting in a couple different Forums that I thought might be appropriate and had them end up in the Recycle Bin.
Add to that, the "music purists" (haters), and it can be tough to get a discussion started or a question answered.

Hmm, that's odd. I am not 100% familiar with Vocaloid stuff, but if it's music related, I don't see why it would be moved to the Recycle Bin.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
They're supposed to go in World Music, since there hasn't been an American one, yet IIRC. There've been English ones, but not from the USA. I think strictly software discussion can go in CT too. I do often see misplaced threads in the AMC, though.

Since Gaia has been getting TinierMe's sponsors, it might luck out and get Crypton and that usually nets a Hot Topic.

Magical Girl

26,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
I'm not sure it would be active enough to be useful.

But, I do realize the issue of not knowing where to post threads about them. Maybe the rules of the A/M/C could be modified to allow Vocaloid topics? I think the forum would actually generate useful discussion on the topic if it were allowed.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Lucidly

But, I do realize the issue of not knowing where to post threads about them. Maybe the rules of the A/M/C could be modified to allow Vocaloid topics? I think the forum would actually generate useful discussion on the topic if it were allowed.

No they probably wouldn’t , Vocaloids have nothing to do with anime manga or comics as they are a computer program and as someone said topics about them can go in the world music forum.

I have to agree with the others OP, I don’t think there is enough reason to make a sub-forum. Usually they’re made for topics with tons of threads to contain them and there’s barely been any vocaloid threads besides yours.

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
Tenko72
They're supposed to go in World Music, since there hasn't been an American one, yet IIRC. There've been English ones, but not from the USA. I think strictly software discussion can go in CT too. I do often see misplaced threads in the AMC, though.

Since Gaia has been getting TinierMe's sponsors, it might luck out and get Crypton and that usually nets a Hot Topic.

Actually there was a live concert in Los Angeles.
While I was searching "Hatsune Miku Live", I came across a video for a concert they did in LA.
I was absolutely blown away by the size of the crowd. eek

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
Tsuki_Kirkland
Lucidly

No they probably wouldn’t , Vocaloids have nothing to do with anime manga or comics as they are a computer program and as someone said topics about them can go in the world music forum.

I have to agree with the others OP, I don’t think there is enough reason to make a sub-forum. Usually they’re made for topics with tons of threads to contain them and there’s barely been any vocaloid threads besides yours.

I agree that there's not a lot of Vocaloid Topics out there, but I'm kinda have to wonder if part of that has to do with others not knowing where to post either.
If others are posting in the wrong place as I have been, and having their Topics go to the CB or Recycle Bin because the Mods don't know where to put them either, that would go a long way towards explaining why there's little to be found on the subject.

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
Lucidly

Because they so closely resemble anime characters, that's where I made my first Topic.

Strike One apparently as it was moved to the CB, which, as everybody knows, is pretty much death for any Topic.

Tiny Shapeshifter

Vocaloid is a voice software (with a mascot character to represent it on the box cover), often used in the music side of the field. The media of Vocaloid goes as far as original voice software to its latest versions of them (1, 2, 3, Append, English banks if non-English), simple 3D program (MikuMikuDance, which is free), multi-game platform (rhythm music game called Project Diva), advertisements on television (Dominoes and Toyota), live performances with hologram in multiple countries, mini-manga, and couple of appearances in other websites for homage/cosplay purposes (such as Tinierme and the MMO Mabinogi). The one big thing they are known for though, is the music videos that the users create and upload onto nico/youtube. /omg-fanatic-on-the-loose.

The upcoming community project might allow Vocaloid a special spot for users to discuss about them since they encompass a lot of areas. If Gaia(n) doesn't want that, we can always ask Gaia to provide an internet entertainment forum of some sort, a place to talk about viral videos, memes, webcomics, Vocaloid, popular youtube uploaders for whatever they do, etc.

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
Yen Quest
Vocaloid is a voice software (with a mascot character to represent it on the box cover), often used in the music side of the field. The media of Vocaloid goes as far as original voice software to its latest versions of them (1, 2, 3, Append, English banks if non-English), simple 3D program (MikuMikuDance, which is free), multi-game platform (rhythm music game called Project Diva), advertisements on television (Dominoes and Toyota), live performances with hologram in multiple countries, mini-manga, and couple of appearances in other websites for homage/cosplay purposes (such as Tinierme and the MMO Mabinogi). The one big thing they are known for though, is the music videos that the users create and upload onto nico/youtube. /omg-fanatic-on-the-loose.

The upcoming community project might allow Vocaloid a special spot for users to discuss about them since they encompass a lot of areas. If Gaia(n) doesn't want that, we can always ask Gaia to provide an internet entertainment forum of some sort, a place to talk about viral videos, memes, webcomics, Vocaloid, popular youtube uploaders for whatever they do, etc.

Thanks for a great Post. smile
You've nicely explained why (I think) it's kind of hard to find a slot into which Vocaloid discussions would fit perfectly.
Heck, on top of that, there's collectible figures as well, so the range of Vocaloid topics is broader than most, and as such, could fit into a lot of existing Forums, and just as easily be bounced from a lot of Forums.
As I mentioned before, I think one reason there's not a large amount of Vocaloid Topics on Gaia is simply that people don't know where to go to post them, and as often as not, post in an inappropriate Topic, only to be CB'd or Recycled.

Add to that, the fact that there's a lot of people who really dislike Vocaloids (as witness some of the responses to this Topic, as well as the Poll results and Like/Dislike rating), and you could easily see people who did like and want to discuss them, becoming quickly discouraged.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately wink ) I'm not easily put off something that I like, so the the nasty responses I've received in other Topics where Vocaloids have been discussed (before being moved to the CB wink ) aren't enough to make me turn and run.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Erogenous Jones
hinThat could be, every so often we get them in the AMC forum. However, they are not enough to need a sub-forum. Perhaps instead there can be a sticky or something in the AMC that says vocaloid threads go in the world music forum to help them with knowing where to place them.

Edit: Yen Quest’s idea is also good.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
Erogenous Jones
Tenko72

Actually there was a live concert in Los Angeles.
While I was searching "Hatsune Miku Live", I came across a video for a concert they did in LA.
I was absolutely blown away by the size of the crowd. eek
I think you misunderstood me. If Buck-Tick did a concert in the USA, it wouldn't make it a USA band, so it'd still go in World Music.

That's awesome news BTW. emotion_kirakira I actually am a fan.

Angelic Blob

Zandykins
surprised Noooo
It's still quite lively and the popularity of Vocaloid2 has resulted in Vocaloid3 and many more voicebank languages being released. Hatsune Miku continues to dominate the charts but there have been many others that have been in use since Vocaloid1 engine.

Anyway. I don't think it strictly needs a forum, but it would be nice to draw some attention to the Music forum for it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff