Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cosmic Trickster

Hey, codemonkey! I've been reading some posts that some people don't like it zoomed in like in Rally, Virtual Hollywood, etc. How about we choose which function is zoomed in or out like in many flash games? Like this, for example:
User Image

Aged Genius

Aural Sky
Towns should have different accessible towns, like if you could go into Durem, Aekea or gambino. And since its towns, there should be more scenic areas, like streets with shops lines up, or shopping malls, or a park area with ponds, benches and a playground, and a walkway all around it.

Plus, I'd like to have the option of choosing a different houses for Towns 2.0. Like a treehouse, Kiki, NKS, Gwee, RuRu, Coco or Grunny Head homes, village hut, teepee, gingerbread or mushroom house- like the gnome encampments seen in zomg. Or to have a trailer-type house, or boathouse; submarine, castle, beaver damn, salt & pepper shaker shaped houses, a home shaped like a Clutch Purse from zomg, pumpkin, space-station, cactus, or a camping tent. Or even a large boot-shaped house, to play off nursery rhyme about the woman who lived in a shoe

Plus, new flowers and bug to collect, so the exchange system can get an update with the new stuff.

I really like the idea about the different houses. As for different accessible towns, we are thinking about public transportation going between the towns, like subways, trains and boats.

Aged Genius

-Gentle Curls-
Hey, codemonkey! I've been reading some posts that some people don't like it zoomed in like in Rally, Virtual Hollywood, etc. How about we choose which function is zoomed in or out like in many flash games? Like this, for example:
User Image

um, What don't they like zoomed in?

Cosmic Trickster

codemonkey37179
-Gentle Curls-
User Image

Possibly the flash itself. Some like the flash zoomed out like Towns 1.0 because they can see more of the avatars and the background. Some like it zoomed in because of the details of the avatars and sometimes the background like in Rally and Virtual Hollywood.

Aged Genius

Roderich Edelstein
Sunflower Sunday

+ I like the idea of having a block all to oneself after building a house, perhaps with this sort of system we could place/expand a garden, plant trees, place outdoor furniture, paths, etc? The main problem I see with this is that Towns would need to be expanded, and a lot, to make up for the spread-out of homes.
+ The ability to password-lock your house block, so you could invite your friends without worrying about strange people barging in out of nowhere or watching/stalking you without you knowing (i.e. by hiding behind the trees)
+ It would also be really handy if guilds could use their funds to purchase the rights to a neighborhood- that is, only members of the guild could put up their houses in that neighborhood. It's really cool to have neighborhoods with your friends, but really stressful when you have to worry about someone else hopping in and grabbing a house they'll probably never touch again.

I find these to be interesting ideas, especially with locking neighborhoods for friends or guild members. This makes me curious though, will neighborhoods have a certain set amount of house lots like we have now? Or would it be possible to add as many houses to a neighborhood as we like?

We are not quite sure yet how the houses or neighborhoods will be designed. Lancer has strongly advocated having a neighborhood of friends, so we are thinking something along those lines. Probably you will have a space all to yourself with paths leading to your friends house. It is still in the thinking stage.
-Gentle Curls-
codemonkey37179
-Gentle Curls-
User Image

Possibly the flash itself. Some like the flash zoomed out like Towns 1.0 because they can see more of the avatars and the background. Some like it zoomed in because of the details of the avatars and sometimes the background like in Rally and Virtual Hollywood.

This seems like a good compromise to me. I like how in Towns 1.0, you can see who is in the square with you (Not entirely, but you have a wide enough view). In other flash spaces you can only see people who are in your immediate surrounding. But I can understand that some people like to see the detail on avatars.
codemonkey37179
Roderich Edelstein
Sunflower Sunday

I find these to be interesting ideas, especially with locking neighborhoods for friends or guild members. This makes me curious though, will neighborhoods have a certain set amount of house lots like we have now? Or would it be possible to add as many houses to a neighborhood as we like?

We are not quite sure yet how the houses or neighborhoods will be designed. Lancer has strongly advocated having a neighborhood of friends, so we are thinking something along those lines. Probably you will have a space all to yourself with paths leading to your friends house. It is still in the thinking stage.

I feel like I'm posting too often, but I find the whole development so exciting. ;w; Towns is the main reason I come to Gaia.

Maybe users could be offered the choice between living in "locked" friend/guild neighborhoods or "open" neighborhoods with random lot assignment? Because old users will have lots of friends they want to group up with (and people love the secret clubhouse feel xD), but new users won't have anyone to group up with yet and some people might enjoy meeting new people this way.
What I like about Towns 1.0:

-The amount of text you can post. My friends and I are literate roleplayers, and the amount of text freedom Towns 1.0 makes it the preferred meet-up place. The other flash meet-up places (Friend Chats, zOMG!, Rally, etc) have very limited character limits and you often have to practically spam a couple of extra posts to get what you could fit into one Towns post.

-I have to agree with people that I enjoy the more "zoomed out" look. When you're in a group of large people, you can still all be in the same area without feeling closed in. It also makes the area around you appear larger and more spacious. Its not claustrophobic that way. Although its nice to see the detail of peoples' avatars, I really don't see the point of it, but that's just my opinion.

-Seasons. I love seasons! ..Though I wish summer would last longer, lol. I love the pools!

-Day/Night. Also love this. Also love your can turn it off with 12341234 if you don't want dark.

-ZIPCODES. I really want to keep them, My friends and I have two entire zipcodes with nothing but out own houses, and typing in a zipcode into the directory to find it is simple and easy.

What I dislike about Towns 1.0:

-The ability to just spam your heart away. This goes for not only hackers but the *ahem* less considerate people on towns
WHO
TALK
THIS
O
M
G
W
T
F
B
B
Q

-Self-replicating insects. I know lots of people like the bugs/trash in towns (though I never used them much), but there's a glitch that makes it where, if you stay in a non-5 block for too long, and don't catch the bugs, they tend to multiply until they're completely swarming the Towns block, and by that point, they become uncatchable and lag the area. The only thing you can do is refresh the square, and it gets kind of annoying.

-Booooring. The neutral scenery is nice but...after a looooong time of being on Towns, it just gets kinda dull.

What I want to see in Towns 2.0:

-I agree with the scenery, however, with a twist. Wouldn't it be awesome, that if we had lakes/streams/rivers/etc, that we could "swim" in them? It would be an awesome alternative until pools arrive, and I know lots of people would love "pushing" each other in to streams in the middle of winter as a prank. razz

-Spam prevention. It could just be something as simple as not being able to post X amount of posts in X amount of seconds. Doing so would still allow for the long-winded posts of roleplayers, and make sure hackers/inconsiderate people don't flood the box within seconds. Doing so would put a sort of X-minute ban on their avatar, and they wouldn't be able to speak during that time.

-Seasons, not weather. Random weather is nice, but think about how much lag that rainstorm would cause? Or a blizzard? You would need a more powerful system to process that many graphics moving at one time, and people don't have those. However, the soft snowing of winter (like we already have) or maybe cherry-blossoms falling in spring wouldn't be bad. I still like our seasons, though I would like more definition. (Currently there's only Halloween, Winter, Christmas, and Pools. Where's Fall and Spring?!)

-Locked zipcodes. Pleaspleaseplease! I would love for a truly "private" area. Also on that note, wouldn't it be truly unique if you could customize your own private area? Like if Towns had X amount of basic towns templates, and you could choose from those. It would make everyones' private zipcodes unique. smile
-Gentle Curls-
User Image

That might be a good compromise. o:
It really would be a pity to lose the zoomed-out view we have in Towns 1.0, it's really the most efficient for meeting up in larger groups or playing team-based games with different "bases" etc.

Sunflower Sunday
+ It would also be really handy if guilds could use their funds to purchase the rights to a neighborhood- that is, only members of the guild could put up their houses in that neighborhood. It's really cool to have neighborhoods with your friends, but really stressful when you have to worry about someone else hopping in and grabbing a house they'll probably never touch again.

Agreed. xD We once organized a total of 78 houses to move into two neighbouring barton complexes. It took a lot of planning in advance, communicating with a lot of people at the same time to direct who goes where, and we surprisingly did a pretty good job of it too. That is, until someone autoplotted their house square in one of the bartons. vuv;; It was pretty frustrating to say the least. The house is empty and unused to this day. *fistshake*
Although admittedly this may not be a problem which affects a lot of people... it would arise though with the whole friend-neighbourhood idea.

Unterseeboot U-1224
-Locked zipcodes. Pleaspleaseplease! I would love for a truly "private" area. Also on that note, wouldn't it be truly unique if you could customize your own private area? Like if Towns had X amount of basic towns templates, and you could choose from those. It would make everyones' private zipcodes unique.

Ooh basic town templates sounds like a good idea... For the housing areas especially.

Wild Bookworm

Please please don't make Towns laggy. Keep it simple. Nice graphics and animation are nice, but I want Towns to be easy to move around in.

What I like about Towns -

The music. I know it's old, but it's also very nostalgic and I would miss it.
Bugs, flowers etc, naturally.
Night and day, I like the changes (changing weather would be fun too).

What I don't like about Towns -

The night is a bit too dark.
Accidentally moving to another area when trying to pick up stuff near arrows, it would be better to have to click on the arrows.

What I would love to see in Towns 2 -

Being able to design and construct my own home - maybe not straight away, but as a future development to keep in mind when coding the new Towns.
New flowers and bugs and trash - long overdue.
Gardens to sow stuff in.
A "play alone" option.

Aged Genius

Antiq
Please please don't make Towns laggy. Keep it simple. Nice graphics and animation are nice, but I want Towns to be easy to move around in.

Accidentally moving to another area when trying to pick up stuff near arrows, it would be better to have to click on the arrows.

Being able to design and construct my own home - maybe not straight away, but as a future development to keep in mind when coding the new Towns.
Gardens to sow stuff in.
A "play alone" option.

Well, I never decided, hey I know I'll make houses laggy. LOL

That error should be fixed now, I copied the old towns code as closely as I could.

I'm thinking about being able to change music like we did in the valentines event.

Interesting idea about the weather. We have it snowing in towns right now, but a little rain may be fun, or how about a tornado?

Wild Bookworm

codemonkey37179
Antiq

Gardens to sow stuff in.
A "play alone" option.

That error should be fixed now, I copied the old towns code as closely as I could.

I'm thinking about being able to change music like we did in the valentines event.

Interesting idea about the weather. We have it snowing in towns right now, but a little rain may be fun, or how about a tornado?

Arrrgh! Could we have optional old and new music maybe? Not an important issue, I know, but....
Of course you didn't set out to make it laggy, but that tends to happen when you guys want stuff all shiny and new lol Ok, my computer is a bit on the old side, and that's my problem, but many people don't have up to the minute computers.
Lol! Weather, yeah, maybe not tornadoes, people who live in tornado country might not find that funny xd

Aged Genius

Antiq
codemonkey37179
Antiq

Gardens to sow stuff in.
A "play alone" option.

Arrrgh! Could we have optional old and new music maybe? Not an important issue, I know, but....
Of course you didn't set out to make it laggy, but that tends to happen when you guys want stuff all shiny and new lol Ok, my computer is a bit on the old side, and that's my problem, but many people don't have up to the minute computers.
Lol! Weather, yeah, maybe not tornadoes, people who live in tornado country might not find that funny xd

The reason they were laggy is quite interesting, but very geeky. The old music will probably be the default music, but that's probably up to DarkNrgy, as he is overall in charge of the project, and wrote the music too.

Maybe if I put a cow in the tornado?

Shameless Tipper

18,225 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Generous 100
I'm pretty excited about this. I don't have any questions, but I wanted to just say that about being excited. Well, than and every time I see your username, I think about how much I like it. >_>

Oh, I would like for dusk and dawn to last longer. Some of the flowers/papers mostly show up during those times, and they each last about 15 minutes, whereas day and night last much longer. So the balance in number of trash you can get at any given time is way off.

Bugs are also limited in the spawn rate for each user per day, so getting rid of that would be awesome since they're being used in alchemy.

Wild Bookworm

codemonkey37179
Antiq
codemonkey37179
Antiq

Gardens to sow stuff in.
A "play alone" option.

The reason they were laggy is quite interesting, but very geeky. The old music will probably be the default music, but that's probably up to DarkNrgy, as he is overall in charge of the project, and wrote the music too.

Maybe if I put a cow in the tornado?

Ok, how can I possibly resist a cow in a tornado? Do it. And if you don't, I will come back whining about how you prommmisssedddd! razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff