Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fortuitous Phantom

Please no more gold rigs, this is just ridiculous. You're ruining the market.

Items that were only worth 3mil a few days ago are now worth 100mil today. Can't you guys see what you're doing to Gaians that don't have real currency to buy items or gens with?

I give you, for example, Germany after WWI. They thought it was a good idea to just print more money to boost the depression they found themselves in. However as we learned from them, the market hyperinflated, causing prices upwards of 500% of the original prices.

Let's not end up like Germany after WWI; sound like a plan?

Edit 4/11:
Make it hurricane. Win up to 2 Billion. WTF Gaia. Seriously. WTF.

Edit 4/20:
MAKE IT POUR. WIN UP TO 3 BILLION. You're doing an IMPECCABLE job at keeping the market steady, Gaia neutral

Edit: 4/22:
So this happened in the GE today:
User Image

Are you happy now, Gaia? You've destroyed the worth of gold so people are now forced to use GC to buy things on the Exchange. The Exchange. It's all happening as you planned, isn't it?

Edit 4/25:
On the spot which pays out 5 BILLION gold. Good job, Gaia.

Edit 5/5:
Cat's Cradle. Win up to 7.5 BILLION gold. It's official. Gaia doesn't give a $#@% about it's users.

Edit 5/8:
I gave a lengthy explanation as to why Gaia's gold generators are a direct cause to hyperinflation in the market which can be seen here. If you would like to use it in your pursuit to spread the word, or to correct those who still believe users are the sole cause of inflation, please feel free to use it. A clip of the explanation is below.

Quote:
Ignorant User
Inflation has never been something Gaia has effected nor been able to control since 2008. Its all on the users.
You're like a shiney pokemon. One of the few who is still so blind to what Gaia is responsible for.

It is Gaia's fault for inflation. And I'm going to give you an economics 101 lesson on this very topic. Albeit with all the facts floating around this site as to HOW it is Gaia's fault, I can't imagine you'll change your mind, seeing as you've kept yourself blind for so long.

We're going to clarify what it is exactly Gaia is doing, and use that definition for the rest of the explanation. First of all, these gold generators introduced into the system are akin to the real life practice of printing money. "Printing money is a colloquial term for quantitative easing. Quantitative easing is a mechanism by which The Fed can inject more money into the economy, virtually out of thin air." As defined in this article here. So by this very definition, it can be agreed these gold generators (upwards of 7.5 Billion payout) is like printing money, or "quantitative easing". There is no substance or worth behind the GG that is being introduced to the system, it is literally coming out of thin air in this scenario.

That being said, Gaia's practice of "quantitative easing" has driven prices upwards, causing inflation. What is inflation exactly? "Inflation is defined as a sustained increase in the general level of prices for goods and services. It is measured as an annual percentage increase. As inflation rises, every dollar you own buys a smaller percentage of a good or service." As defined in this article here. So for every new GG introduced to the system, the less the overall worth of the GG becomes. Because of this, you need MORE GG to purchase something that, before gold generators were introduced, was originally worth less before the practice of this "quantitative easing".

Breaking it down frame by frame, the more GG in the system, the more people have to spend. More importantly the more people are WILLING to spend. Gaians that once found themselves poor JUMP at the chance to buy these items previously out of their price range. Once this happens, one of two things can occur. They either buy all items that are listed on the market, or only the most egregiously priced items are left. When these over-inflated prices in the market are the only ones left, it narrows the market of those who are able to purchase them, thereby becoming unavailable to the average joe as they were before (at a higher price, of course). However come the next gold generator, Gaians produce for themselves more GG, allowing them to buy the over-inflated prices of the item. We are again in the same scenario where either all the items on the market are sold, or only the highest prices remain. It's not until the next gold generator cycle that these items are able to be purchased, pushing the ABP upwards once again. This is both where your argument and the argument of Gaia needing to produce gold generators to keep up with inflated prices comes in (even though it is clear by this cycle that the gold generators are enabling the inflated prices. If you don't have gold generators, you can't produce more GG to buy outrageously priced items, and the prices will either come down or stabilize which is explained below). You argue that the market's inflation is caused solely by the users greed. This does have a helping hand, yes, but it is NOT the cause of inflation.

It is important to remember that "quantitative easing" leads to an increase in the amount of GG, but not an increase in product, as defined in this article here. So this product, once the available stock on the market has been purchased, is still at the same amount. The majority of those purchasing this product are doing so for keeps, decreasing the available stock on the market. This is where we come to the concept of "supply and demand". As supply decreases and demand either increases or stays the same, a shortage of the product occurs, leading to a higher equilibrium price, as defined in this article here. This is also seen here where it's explained that it's not a "buyers" market, but a sellers market. This is because there is so few stock of items circulating through the site that sellers are allowed to set the price. If there was more supply, or not enough GG to purchase these over-inflated prices, then the price for the items would decrease according to "supply and demand".

So after learning that more GG in the system means the decrease worth of the GG, that the initial rush of people to buy the items they want decreases the supply in the market, and that with this decrease in supply, the equilibrium price for product increases, we've inadvertently learned the very definition of inflation. WITHOUT the increase of "quantitative easing" in the market, the GG's worth remains at a healthy equilibrium, there is no rush to the market to buy up whatever supply the users can, and the price of an item remains the same as the supply stays relatively stagnant (for the purposes of explaning why gold generators create inflation, I have assumed for this argument that item generators do not exist. As you can see from the market, however, once supply increases, prices drop. This goes back to the concept of "supply and demand" ).

But I will go a step further in my explanation to say we are WELL beyond inflation and have reached the point of HYPERinflation. Yes. This is a thing. The most famous example of hyperinflation is Germany after WWI. After losing the war, the country found itself in the midst of a great depression. Their answer for that was to print money, or as we've learned by now, "quantitative easing". This act of printing money lead prices skyrocketing upwards of 2,500% their original in less than a month. Sound familiar? "Hyperinflation is when the prices of most goods and services skyrocket, usually more than 50% a month. It usually starts when a country's Federal government begins printing money to pay for fiscal spending. As the money supply increases, prices creep up as in regular inflation." as defined by this article here.

So that's the reality of it. Yes users have to do with an increase in the pricing, but the main culprit is Gaia and their gold generators. Let's realistically look at your argument for a moment. With the increase of GG in the market, you're expecting users to keep the prices of their items to the same prices before the flood of GG entering the market. But what, then, do users do with all of this extra GG they now have? Buy more items that are supposed to be priced before this flood of GG? It's EXTREMELY unrealistic. In a perfect world, sure this would work. But as history has shown us time and time again, this is not the case. It's human nature to ask for more when there is more money, and ask for less when there is less money. It will happen no matter what. That WON'T change. What DOES have the ability to change, however, is Gaia increasing the amount of GG in the market. If you pay attention to the daily spending chart in the market, you can tell that the only thing sustaining this hyperinflation is Gaia continually pumping out these gold generators. The points where the market levels out or even DECREASES in amount of daily spending, are the points where there is a gap in gold generator releases. However the point where more gold generators come out is also the point where the daily market spending increases. If they stopped cold turkey, we'd see a decrease in spending on the market, followed by stabilization. However that can never happen until Gaia stops releasing gold generators, which they never will.

Whether you disagree with this or not, it is fact proven and re-proven by the examples of time. Gaia's gold generators are a direct cause of the hyperinflation of the market. You can yell at me or others until you're blue in the face, but it won't stop you from being wrong.

Edit 5/12:
Project companion. Win up to 10 BILLION gold.

deadflie's Husband

Snarky Man-Lover

16,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Hiss of Love 200
It is ridiculous |8 Last week I was worth about 100m and this week its more like 750m like no stop
Last week La Victoire let people buy 100-packs of Make it Rain for about $21.00. How long will it take for people to stop caring about gold, I wonder?

Sparkly Fatcat

5,075 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
they're literally throwing gold machines at us at this point
like they're not even putting any thought into them
like "here's a snazzy new name for the same exact thing we've released fifteen times, we're sure no one will notice lawl"
To get similar sales, they have to keep increasing the payout to keep up with inflation. There has to be a limit, though, right? When they're giving items that grant a quadrillion gold, nobody is going to care about it anymore. People will just be trading items for other items, and gold will have no value.

Unholy Werewolf

17,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
They know exactly what they are doing.
I doubt they will listen now as this has been going on for several months.

Fortuitous Phantom

Skullmiser
To get similar sales, they have to keep increasing the payout to keep up with inflation. There has to be a limit, though, right? When they're giving items that grant a quadrillion gold, nobody is going to care about it anymore. People will just be trading items for other items, and gold will have no value.
Exactly, the VERY definition of hyperinflation. I thought they realized they couldn't do anymore after the dragon hoard one, but I suppose I was wrong. Soon enough (if not now) gold will be absolutely worthless.

Fortuitous Phantom

True Sefirosu
They know exactly what they are doing.
I doubt they will listen now as this has been going on for several months.
I don't even know if there's any going back. crying Its just sad to see what Gaia has become...

Fortuitous Phantom

Tiny Shapeshifter

Non-GC users in the eyes of marketing team?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
User Image ζɑʂɦʊɾȉ Ҁɦɑɳ User Image

Has anyone noticed there are a lot of items with no listings? It's like everyone got what they wanted and scrambled and now only the gens of that item are the only ones left because they are so high in the millions. It's weird.

Fortuitous Phantom

Lashuri Chan

Has anyone noticed there are a lot of items with no listings? It's like everyone got what they wanted and scrambled and now only the gens of that item are the only ones left because they are so high in the millions. It's weird.
Exactly, and when the items are relisted, they're put at 5x or higher the cost of what they were going for originally. It's bloody frustrating.

Fortuitous Phantom

Yen Quest
Non-GC users in the eyes of marketing team?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
History is apparently not their department either....

Lonely Humorist

10,650 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
Their latest ploy is the best yet, I think.

"Don't want any more gold? You could get official Gaia art for all to see, an exclusive achievement, and a billion gold!" and if you don't get the ticket......you STILL have the chance to win a billion gold.

They're successfully playing to the desires of actual fans of Gaia, getting people to buy their bundles while simultaneously flooding more gold onto the market. It's brilliant. And by brilliant, I mean the prices of everything on my wishlist has tripled in a matter of days.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Kyasuri
Lashuri Chan

Exactly, and when the items are relisted, they're put at 5x or higher the cost of what they were going for originally. It's bloody frustrating.

So true! But I got lucky today. I'm helping a friend with a quest and there was no listing for an item that was only 600k and lucky me when a listing did come the user listed it for 400k. So there are some (very few) nice users who won't take advantage of their item being the only listing there. It does suck everything is so high now though. It's like if you have under a 100mill you're still poor or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff