Welcome to Gaia! ::

O.G. Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
This. This right here. This. This right here.
This is the COO, correct? Granted, I do not know the proper context as I searched and found this image on flickr after seeing this picture in another thread. However, this image of a slide presentation likely being presented by someone who should be representing the community is, to me, very disturbing.

I'm not easily offended. I'm really not. When I saw this image in another thread earlier, I just could not believe, we the community, are being compared to lab rats. That we are dehumanized as well as objectified. That gives me a sickening feeling and, if I am interpreting this correctly, illustrates that clearly those in power do not care about those who care for their product.

As I've mentioned in another thread I posted in SF, for unrelated reasons I doubt that I'll be on this site for much longer. So while I'm not nearly as personally offended, I'm offended for the community as a whole. So many people on this site give it their heart, soul, and goodness, even their cash now and then. For one reason or another, they find happiness here and are willing to give their support via money. I did too for a long time. I'm heart-broken for the rest of the community since their devotion is only valued as long as it's monetarily.

Yes, I know, Gaia is a business. So does a large part of the community. We understand Gaia needs money to survive and we'd be glad to give our money for the right reasons. Now here's the thing; I've worked for a corporation. I worked part time for a hotel chain for many years. I cannot begin to explain the emphasis the company put on customer service. Our guests were not just guests; we were trained to treat them more than that. I know hotels are not the same as online forums but this has taught me that the better you treat your customer base, the more likely they are to return.

Being compared to a rodent does not make me want to return.

This may not be about Gaia Online specifically. Again, I admit I do not have proper context other than this is an image tagged with the COO. But the fact the COO, specifically tagged with Gaia Interactive, is pictured with this slide brings in a negative association and a very bad taste in my mouth. I'm deeply saddened that a person representing this site would think so lowly of not only our community but of people in general.

Edit: Some clarification from Uncle Kenny:
Uncle Kenny
This wasn't a presentation given to Gaia employees or the company. That's not even our office.

Uncle Kenny
I don't know what the presentation is, so I can't really say. I only know it wasn't something in Gaia.

Also worth noting:
Tamichan
I did a quick bit of digging since I was curious about the context of this presentation.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.466013143497580.1073741833.413379182094310&type=1

He's giving "new insights to loyalty/retention/monetization".

Flynn, is that you? Flynn, is that you?

Narumi's response to the pics posted by frozen_water in AtA
Narumi Misuhara
Hi frozen_water, I can definitely understand your concerns, however it's important to understand that those images are out of context. They had nothing to do with Gaia.

Regarding managements vision of Gaia, yes, we all want to see Gaia do well and thrive. Gaia has an amazing community and none of us want to see that go away. Not sure why the idea is going around that we don't care about the community. We continue to have mini-events, we've recently had amazing gold only item recolors and we have tons of free contests going on all the time.

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

"Humans (and lab rats) can't resist seeking pleasure/rewards"
I get where you're coming from. I actually want to laugh really hard to be honest, because I can clearly see how you would relate this to Gaia.

Ohhh my god. rofl emotion_facepalm

Bibliophile

What the actual-

Well this just makes the whole survey-scandal sound less and less like an 'honest mistake'. Based on this presentation I feel like Gaia employees are taught to dehumanize their users. They don't see us like people, they just see us like consumers.

O.G. Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
castigat ridendo mores
I get where you're coming from. I actually want to laugh really hard to be honest, because I can clearly see how you would relate this to Gaia.

This looks like it comes from the same presentation. There's Flynn if I'm not mistaken.

Scurvy Pirate

TasteChaos
What the actual-

Well this just makes the whole survey-scandal sound less and less like an 'honest mistake'. Based on this presentation I feel like Gaia employees are taught to dehumanize their users. They don't see us like people, they just see us like consumers.

This wasn't a presentation given to Gaia employees or the company. That's not even our office.

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

Uncle Kenny
TasteChaos
What the actual-

Why why why why why why why is Flynn used as an example? gonk

And why is the COO of a company giving presentations to anyone lightly comparing someone to a lab rat?

Fluffy Werewolf

15,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hunter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
Darkend Light
castigat ridendo mores

This looks like it comes from the same presentation. There's Flynn if I'm not mistaken.

That's definitely Flynn. neutral Just from looking at these two images I'm getting the feeling they think we're all stupid to fall for this bullshit...oh wait I was already thinking that with everything they've been doing as of late. lol

Enduring Shapeshifter

I'm slow clapping and laughing.

I called it, the apology was hollow and meant nothing they meant to dish out that survey and they didn't care about who it hurt as long as they keep getting money.

Gaia, you've become disgusting.

O.G. Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
Uncle Kenny

Thank you for some context. Much appreciated.
Uncle Kenny
TasteChaos
What the actual-

But what do you plan to do about Gaia's content in said presentation huh?

Scurvy Pirate

castigat ridendo mores
Uncle Kenny
TasteChaos
What the actual-

And why is the COO of a company giving presentations to anyone lightly comparing someone to a lab rat?

I don't know what the presentation is, so I can't really say. I only know it wasn't something in Gaia.

Scurvy Pirate

A Pup Named Scamp
Uncle Kenny
TasteChaos
What the actual-

There's not much I, personally, can do about it. I don't know anything about it. I've forwarded the concern on, but I don't really have any answers or knowledge on the subject.
Uncle Kenny
A Pup Named Scamp
Uncle Kenny
TasteChaos
What the actual-

There's not much I, personally, can do about it. I don't know anything about it. I've forwarded the concern on, but I don't really have any answers or knowledge on the subject.
But you did take some action by forwarding. n.n *wags* Thank you Uncle Kenny!

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

Uncle Kenny
castigat ridendo mores
Uncle Kenny
TasteChaos
What the actual-

It's an introduction to the use of game dynamics to influence behavior. That is what "gamification" is. Add gaming dynamics to non-gaming activities and it raises a person's interest in that item/activity/what-have-you.

I'm just kind of shell-shocked at the person and the content, even if it's not actually related to Gaia.

This is a print-screen, sorry it's in link form: http://prntscr.com/1vpo40
"Anyone you want to engage repeatedly in order to elicit a particular behavior."

I find myself wondering what behavior is expected, in any company that uses this approach. I guess I'd like to say that comparing people/consumers to lab rats was kind of a bad move on making the presentation, even if it was made to seem more scientifically valid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff