Welcome to Gaia! ::

Can there please be an option to turn this off somewhere in your profile? It slows my browser down alot and sometimes interferes with the page and makes it load incorrectly. The word filter is an optional feature, I believe that this should be too. I have read the warnings and if I enter my password somewhere and get duped to all hell... it's my own damn fault.
I'm pretty sure that the redirect feature isn't optional because you might be linked to a site that's off of Gaia that looks like it is Gaia, but it's asking for your password and it's a spoof site; you won't be fooled into entering your password and possibly having your account compromised.
It's for our own protection. You may be smart enough not to trust hoax pages, or enter your username and password into an off-site login screen, but many Gaia users are not. It's relatively simple to imitate one of GaiaOnline's pages, I've seen it done in the name of parody before. The redirect frame acts as a reminder or warning to users; and it's easily close-able once you reach your web page destination. Simply use the "Click to close this frame" link, and the web page will appear in it's entirety.

The option to turn it off would be a security risk, and would result in more users losing their accounts and items to fraudulent web pages.
What about "on by default"?

500 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Aesthetically Displeasing
Can there please be an option to turn this off somewhere in your profile? It slows my browser down alot and sometimes interferes with the page and makes it load incorrectly. The word filter is an optional feature, I believe that this should be too.

i've been thinking about that too, it would be a great idea for it to be optional!
Escargot Pudding
What about "on by default"?

and if they do make it optional it would be a great idea to have it as a default setting. because hey,if you 'think' your smart enuf to turn it off you should know better then to give out your password and such.
AnarchistPoptart
It's for our own protection. You may be smart enough not to trust hoax pages, or enter your username and password into an off-site login screen, but many Gaia users are not. It's relatively simple to imitate one of GaiaOnline's pages, I've seen it done in the name of parody before. The redirect frame acts as a reminder or warning to users; and it's easily close-able once you reach your web page destination. Simply use the "Click to close this frame" link, and the web page will appear in it's entirety.

The option to turn it off would be a security risk, and would result in more users losing their accounts and items to fraudulent web pages.

As I said, if I get hacked it is my own damn fault. I don't care if it can be closed once the page loads, it frequently makes my pages load incorrectly and makes it load noticably slower than sans-frame pages. It should default to being on, and there should be a warning when you turn it off, but DAMN I am sick of having to reload pages like that. My net can handle it, but sometimes when I am running a lot of things simultaneously... it's just an unneeded hassle.

Besides, if a page ever asked me to re enter my password I'd just reload the original gaia page... Faster than typing my username. My cookies ought to do it for me, if they don't, and I haven't cleared them recently... Then I go to a different website and wait for my browser to stop spazzing.
My browser is a special one, it is an overlay that builds off of internet explorer and it is made specially by my ISP. It is very convienient, seeing as it makes access to my email and instant messenger fast and easy... BUT sometimes it doesnt cooperate with frames so well, ESPECIALLY the redirect frame. Pages will mysteriously dissapear, say they don't exist, and overall, just NOT work how they should. This doesnt happen all the time, but it happens at least 1/3 times I click a link here, and it gets VERY annoying. Also as I mentioned previously, it makes the page load twice, very unnessecary and very annoying.

The ability to turn it off should come with a disclaimer forcing users to acknowledge that if they turn this off, it is THEIR fault if they get hacked. It should probably require visual verification or maybe even password/email input, but it should be an option. Just because a few people on Gaia are easily mislead and easily fooled does not mean all of us should have to suffer.
My comp recently got hit bad by a virus and pages now take about 60 seconds to load instead of 3 or 4. When I use the re-direct, they just -don't- load and cause my internet to stop responding , therefore it closes out, I have to wait 10 minutes while my comp beeps a lot, and then try again... only to have it happen again.

I think it should be optional with email/password consent.
And of course, defaulted on.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces