Welcome to Gaia! ::

wow really, i mean wow. that post is almost offensive at some points.

and you can make thousands of unique outfits? please go right ahead
i would like to see what kind of avi's you can come with, 'cause looking at the one you have atm, it's not very impressive...

i think it's strange that you think i’m funny 'cause he never did

xxx_kings_xxx

Doc Arkham's Husband

Savage Punk

i concur!! *insert something inspirational here*

Tipsy Warrior

14,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
xxx_kings_xxx

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

please by all means make these supposed thoughts of unique outfits. while your at it, dont make it metro or frilly.

lets get some MAN on and get that grity nitty dirt stuff. id love love love to see your examples.

anything else i really had to say i wont because well Awenita REALLY knows how to phrase her stuff and covered that already.

i will add however, ive known plenty of dudes with off color hair, in fact one of my best friends has a purple mohawk right now. a deep purple mohawk.

not everyone has your mind.

Decayin[g]_Sou[l]'s Significant Otter

Demonic Hellhound

Man, I have missed a bit of drama in this thread.

xxx_kings_xxx

It always struck me as odd the argument that "men don't care as much about fashion as women," considering there are male fashion designers, men who make it a point to dress a certain way--whether it's nerdy, goth, punk, high fashion, nice suits with a matching tie, polos of a color that go well with the perfect shade of khaki--just the same as there are women who throw on a pair of ratty jeans and a guys' basic cotton t-shirt every day instead of spending an hour picking out the perfect outfit for the day. Sitcoms and cartoons lead the majority of disconnected people to believe that men don't care how they look and women only care about how they look, but it's quite contrary to the real world where yes, people of both genders care.

YOU might not care as much about fashion as some other men do, but that doesn't mean all men don't care about fashion. On top of that, this is a website where we can dress our avatars up as we see fit... If girls have the option of dressing their avatars up in any color, style, cut, or length dress as they want with the ability to match it perfectly with any style of hair they want, how come guys can't dress their avatar up in any type of military outfit they want of any accurate or inaccurate color?

I also take a bit of offense at you saying most men have brown, black, or grey hair. There are naturally blond men and naturally redheaded men too (I am the former and honestly would prefer more red hair options in styles that are not aimed towards women). On top of that, as other people have said, men do dye their hair. For example, this guy has blue hair and this guy has yellow hair. Pretty sure they're walking around in real life.

Aaand, your point about the threads not being clear enough or well thought out. Some might be just small rants while other threads might be a bit long. But you know what? People who work at Gaia and take ideas from users are paid by Gaia to go through the request threads. It's their job to go through and decipher the most well thought out threads and the most muddled, confusing threads if the threads have support and the items have demand to be made. If an "advanced class" person can or cannot go through them, that doesn't matter. If you have a complaint with the threads not being worded to your delicate standards, please also go complain in all the threads requesting frilly / cutesie items that do have the requests granted--because it has happened.

The fact of the matter is that whether or not you CAN make "thousands of unique" avatars on TekTek or not, there is a startling difference between the amount of good quality items available to those that prefer to be girly and those that do not. There should be gender balance--Lanzer said it himself that they "strive" for gender balance--on a site that does not cater specifically to one gender and that is the point. Overreacting would be to quit the site and spend countless hours writing bad reviews about this site and encouraging people to switch from Gaia to another avatar-based forum site. Overreacting is not requesting that Gaia have more gender balance and stating why you feel that way and how you feel the gender imbalance should be remedied.

Spiritual Recalibrator

33,440 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Champion Cardholder 100
The Body Farm
just the same as there are women who throw on a pair of ratty jeans and a guys' basic cotton t-shirt every day instead of spending an hour picking out the perfect outfit for the day.

Just a minor correction here, but a pair of ratty jeans and a guy's basic cotton t-shirt IS the perfect outfit (for me)! xd

Screw heels and makeup!

To add to your point, yes, there are women here who (in real life) do not care for a lot of the fashion highlights of today aimed at them. However that doesn't excuse the website for not delivering on an equal basis.

Invisible Gaian

20,775 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
wait, more female artists than male - is lanzer implying that we have more than one male artist

idk any manly man artists except boog

do they exist

i think they are a myth

and i will not be fooled u cant give a female artist a strapon and try to sell her off as a male artist in this debate scream

Demonic Hellhound

Witty Genius

Totally legal

Aged Wench

12,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Megathread 100
Interesting topic but don't you think that they are just re-creating what has been successful in the past? If masculine items don't sell as well then what is their motivation to cater to a potentially penny-pinching client base? I will be honest that I haven't read this whole thread but there has to be some merit to the designs available.
As a woman I like to see the frilly and lacy items but I never buy or wear them. I am more into colorful items. The statement that there aren't any premium items with blue or green male hairstyles is ridiculous. The Compass of Seidh has alot of masculine items including a dark blue hairstyle and this hairstyle I have on from the Seracila Pendant is more masculine than feminine. It's like a fantasy ninja hair.
That's where this whole masculine thing becomes blurred for most people because the items are meant to be fantasy. No woman really can wear that much lace and frill irl unless they had a serious budget just the same a man could not have fantasy armor or hair under the same prejudice. I'm always making tekteks and avis so I have a good feel for what is available and there is no argument that male items need to be paid special attention to but I feel like they are already trying. In the past two years I've seen alot more male items including dirty, gritty and gory ones come into play. I'm not sure the specific requests of this thread but I wish you good luck.

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
defloweredmind
Interesting topic but don't you think that they are just re-creating what has been successful in the past? If masculine items don't sell as well then what is their motivation to cater to a potentially penny-pinching client base?

We are not asking for remakes of successful items. We are asking for new items. Just about every link is asking for new items.
A very detailed thread on requests WITH PHOTOS of new and improved male items.

defloweredmind
I will be honest that I haven't read this whole thread but there has to be some merit to the designs available.

I feel like there's going to be an 'I told you so' at the end of this but; you should probably read my entire thread.

defloweredmind
As a woman I like to see the frilly and lacy items but I never buy or wear them. I am more into colorful items. The statement that there aren't any premium items with blue or green male hairstyles is ridiculous. The Compass of Seidh has alot of masculine items including a dark blue hairstyle and this hairstyle I have on from the Seracila Pendant is more masculine than feminine. It's like a fantasy ninja hair.

I've never directly said that. Ever. Also, not everyone wants one premium hairstyle that is blue and one premium hairstyle that is green--and never make another premium hairstyle with the same color again. That's like having one biancamella and nevermaking another biancamella ever again. But that didn't happen did it? So no, men should not have to settle on having lets say a premium green haired item but never having another recolor of the premium haircolor/having another premium item of a different variety with the same haircolor.

To put it even more simply just in case that didn't make sense:
Women have a lot more premium hairstyles than men. Plain and simple, though I never went into statistics with any of it. Women's hair continues to grow and have variety while men have to settle? No thank you.

defloweredmind
That's where this whole masculine thing becomes blurred for most people because the items are meant to be fantasy. No woman really can wear that much lace and frill irl unless they had a serious budget just the same a man could not have fantasy armor or hair under the same prejudice. I'm always making tekteks and avis so I have a good feel for what is available and there is no argument that male items need to be paid special attention to but I feel like they are already trying.

It's already clear that gaia makes both IRL based items as well as fantasy items, and even their fantasy item in the male genre is lacking in quality. They're dishing out cheap and/or poorly made items that are clearly outnumbered by high quality female items. The one time they DO make a high quality male item--it's so high in price because its such a precious item that's drooled over that it becomes unattainable to the population. I.E. Nice Suit For Work. I had to sell a good chunk of my inventory just to get it.

And they are not trying. Even Lanzer said that because majority of the artist staff are women, no matter what they decide on it's swayed towards female items anyway. Or did you not read far enough down to see that?

defloweredmind
In the past two years I've seen alot more male items including dirty, gritty and gory ones come into play. I'm not sure the specific requests of this thread but I wish you good luck.

I'm not sure what items you're considering dirty and gritty and male that have come out in the past two years but we are looking for quality AND quantity. Quantity is our concern. Again, the thread I linked you, that will give you a good idea on just what is going on.

Also, my thread is not a request thread. I'm pretty sure If you read the entire thread you would see that. It is an "Oh hey, I turned male for a year and gasp! I have first hand experienced that you gaia, have been snubbing out a certain part of the male population! AND you know about it because according to Lanzer, no matter what they do it always sways to women's favor since majority of the artist staff have lady bits!

Which was the most sexist, pompous, obnoxious thing Lanzer could have ever said. It is no excuse considering some of the gaia artist I follow on DA have some pretty HOT male drawings. :/ They sure as hell know what they are doing and it is not going unseen.

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200

Demonic Hellhound

Smoker

Fluffy Bunny

So true. stare Easy to make girl avi but hard to make a manly boy avi.
To make my current avi, I search for hours to find a good hair for boy avi.
And those abs, damn it. I only found TWO items with abs. stare
Gaia, can't you just do something with this!? scream
It's been years of requesting and still...! GAH!!! gonk

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
Sanzeni Nagi
So true. stare Easy to make girl avi but hard to make a manly boy avi.
To make my current avi, I search for hours to find a good hair for boy avi.
And those abs, damn it. I only found TWO items with abs. stare
Gaia, can't you just do something with this!? scream
It's been years of requesting and still...! GAH!!! gonk
We do keep in mind you can only make so much of a certain thing; hence only two type of abs. I don't really expect any more varieties of it because they pretty much nailed the 'semi-workout-abs' and the 'hardcore-workout-abs'.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff