Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
xxx_kings_xxx
i personally see no problem, or i just dont understand it, i have gone thru this thread and all i can say is i think everyone is over reacting

First off, don't comment on what you do not understand. If you understand BUT you still feel that the small quantity of male items to choose from is good enough for you, THEN by all means; say your peace.

xxx_kings_xxx

maybe gaia is having the same issue. and i have followed the links in this thread and they have all but given me a headache trying to read them

Majority of what I linked either had simple requests or statements or were thoroughly thought out with detail requests that gaia requires you to do in order to fulfill said requests. Trust me, gaia doesn't get a headache from detail. It helps them fulfill demand and request. However I did add frustrations that people had in the links because that's what this situation is: frustrating.

xxx_kings_xxx

maybe if those pages were simplified or fewer requests it would help gaia out
but as it stands if a regular user in advanced classes in school is having issues with understanding this then artists here on gaia is gonna have the same issues too

Again, the point of request threads is to list detail wants and demands in order for gaia to provide. Unfortunately because gaia has not adequately provided for this sect of male item needs, there is a hefty list. That is gaia's fault more or less. Thankfully artists on gaia are more or less out of school by now and are doing what they KNOW best: art, and so they don't have a full day of advanced classes to make their brain hurt by my thread that isn't for someone who's bogged down with school work. How about you come back to this thread when you're not busy, then.

xxx_kings_xxx
comment on hair color, most men have grey, white or black / brown hair
when irl have you seen pink hair on a guy? a pink beard? a pink anything on a guy?
lets keep hair realistic like it is now

You know what? I actually feel offended personally by your comment. I have had fire engine red, pink, green, blue, and purple hair at points in my life and none of them were real. And YES, men have had the SAME exact thing. It's called hair dye. It's called hair chalk. It's called punk rock and fun times. Women aren't the only ones who enjoy some wild and crazy detailed sprite style on their avatars AND in real life. Men do too, so yes, the color pallet NEEDS some new colors. Rarely have I seen male green hair or male purple hair on gaia that isn't default goldshop hair or cheap unisex wigs.

By the way, IRL fashion is NOT gaia fashion. Gaia fashion has a complete separate set of intricacy and standards. Maybe that is why you do not understand why this is a valid situation to be addressed. Where in real life you could not easily dress up as a centaur or paint yourself green and dress as a pixie in every day life, gaia lets you express the opportunity on your avatar. Gaia is NOT IRL, therefore you can not hold IRL standards, ever, to how gaia's item system goes. For pete's sake there are fairy wings and homestuck horns on here. Why are you even saying anything about keeping gaia's male fashion IRL?! (Yes, hair is lumped into fashion.)

By the way. Pink dyed hair and Pink dyed beard. Yeah; they happen. Men do it. I've seen it.

Edit: I'd also like to add for the record that gaiaonline is an anime based website. Do you know what hair colors are natural in anime? Pink, green, blue, purple, cyan, yellow, and lavender. So don't tell me to keep it real. Anime isn't real, so your comment is invalid to gaia's hair system already.

xxx_kings_xxx
also one other thing and i know ppl will wanna disagree with this but lets face it, MOST MEN ARE WELL LESS THAN CONCERNED WITH FASHION IRL so why be so concerned about it online in a virtual world

Yikes. Be glad you're being responded to by a female and not a male who would actually take high offense to that. Like y'know, my damn husband. He takes longer to get ready for the day than I do and that's with me doing full makeup, making and eating breakfast, and maybe getting a quickie art order in before we leave for the day. You might disagree with this but lets face it, not all men have your mindset. So don't lump all the men on this site with your one sided view.

There are many who are concerned about an online virtual world. If they weren't, there wouldn't be this big of an outcry. I highly advise you re-think what you say before you say it if you even respond to this. Some of the things you've said are already semi-offensive.

Playful Kitten

Gemiinii
Frozen Mist
Not only does Gaia seem to follow this target demographic, but I'm sure the artists struggle to break away from it since there are very few examples to run on for male fashions irl (aside from blatant overdone stereotypes and genres, which Gaia has mostly covered).

I agreed with the majority of your post, except for maybe this part. I have seen some huge threads here in SF with some fantastic examples, that if implemented on a regular or even semi regular basis would have users that love masculine items over the moon with joy.
I do feel like we get a lot of "we need more masculine items" threads, but I rarely see any specific examples of actual item suggestions other than "more facial hair" and "less tiny feet/shrunk anatomy for male leg mods". sweatdrop If more ideas are out there it would definitely be a good idea for someone to make a composite list of all of them, so that artists can find the masculine suggestions without digging or being scattered (for easier reference and more spotlight). I mean with how many items we get, they are probably the busiest members on Gaia's team and likely rely on 'telephoned' suggestions from devs/admins/mods. sweatdrop

Hot Lop

I dislike the amount of overly girly/frilly/kawaii/whatever else items we get not only because there are fewer masculine items to balance it, but because I feel like I'm one small voice that doesn't like them even as a girl in a sea of girls that love them to death. I do use my female avatars more than my males but I do strive to dress my male ones nicely. It's hard for me to even avoid flipping out anymore every time one more pile of girly dressup items comes out with maybe one or two masculine ones to compensate.

Shy Noob

13,575 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200
  • Inquisitor 200

It's ridiculous trying to come up with a decent male avi.
Unless you want to dress your avi in starter clothing.

The variety in high quality male items is practically non-existant.
Simply Grim

There are also plenty of people with female avatars that want to dress more masculine too.

..*awkwardly raises hand*

oWo;; Tom-boy here believe it or not. I don't really like cutesy girl avatars/clothes, but that's just me. oWo;; my opinion. if more dude-clothes came out, if I liked it enough, I might wear it. excluding the hair of course. xD;;
Awenita

Guuurl, you brought yo' can of whoop-a** out cat_talk2hand You tell dem oWo heart

Dapper Fatcat

5,600 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Hygienic 200
I would personally like more better curly hair. In RL colors aswell as odd colors like purple, red, etc.
None are very good in the goldshop hair salon.. And not very much in general even.

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
Hayes28
Awenita

Guuurl, you brought yo' can of whoop-a** out cat_talk2hand You tell dem oWo heart
Oh mah gah I was seething by the time I hit the pink hair crap.

Shirtless Fairy

It's much easier to make a masculine female avatar than a masculine male avatar simply because most items, male or female, seem to be made for the female base. neutral

Serious support for this thread.

Sir Schmerz's Husband

Thieving Sex Symbol

35,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Frozen Mist
Gemiinii
Frozen Mist
Not only does Gaia seem to follow this target demographic, but I'm sure the artists struggle to break away from it since there are very few examples to run on for male fashions irl (aside from blatant overdone stereotypes and genres, which Gaia has mostly covered).

I agreed with the majority of your post, except for maybe this part. I have seen some huge threads here in SF with some fantastic examples, that if implemented on a regular or even semi regular basis would have users that love masculine items over the moon with joy.
I do feel like we get a lot of "we need more masculine items" threads, but I rarely see any specific examples of actual item suggestions other than "more facial hair" and "less tiny feet/shrunk anatomy for male leg mods". sweatdrop If more ideas are out there it would definitely be a good idea for someone to make a composite list of all of them, so that artists can find the masculine suggestions without digging or being scattered (for easier reference and more spotlight). I mean with how many items we get, they are probably the busiest members on Gaia's team and likely rely on 'telephoned' suggestions from devs/admins/mods. sweatdrop

You know, I think the gold shops are a very good starting point for more masculine items. I can make a pretty good-looking male avatar with gold shop items. I think part of the problem might also be that we get way more Cash Shop updates than gold shop updates (obviously, with gold shop updates coming only once a month), and of those Cash items, many of them lean towards cute/feminine. So many times if I'm looking for a good pair of pants to come up, I'm pinning my hopes on the one gold shop update we get per month. To even it out, I'm crossing my fingers only 12 out of the 365 days we have in a year that we'll get an update that'll include pants that fit well on the male base.

And yes, yes, yes about the examples. Examples are always given when requested (and Lord, to people press for them), but I don't think until Body Farm's thread we had a single specific place that lists all of these such examples for a more general masculine update. Body Farm's thread doesn't just request the inclusion of pants like mine does. His includes not only facial hair and pants, but also accessories, formal wear, casual wear, etc. Many examples. Hopefully this very organized thread goes a long way in helping to "provide examples," that ever-present mantra. It's actually a pretty hefty list of examples.

But honestly, with the frequency of these threads popping up, it should be glaringly obvious to Gaia's artists that the imbalance IS being noticed by a larger part of the population and there IS a demand for more balance. If Gaia's artists can come up with a thousand different ways to draw a skirt all on their own and without examples, they can do the same for pants.

Witty Genius

xxx_kings_xxx
also one other thing and i know ppl will wanna disagree with this but lets face it, MOST MEN ARE WELL LESS THAN CONCERNED WITH FASHION IRL so why be so concerned about it online in a virtual world

emotion_facepalm

BECAUSE IT'S A FRIKIN' VIRTUAL WORLD! It's a world where you can be a tin can if Gaia has made/does make a frikin' 'I AM' pose. Since when do we solely rely on RL logic and reason in a virtual world?

And pretty much every other response to this specific quote and everything else in your original response has been said by Awenita, so I need not to repeat what has already been said.

13,550 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
Yet they manage to have lots of male NPCs. Are there more guys working on the comics/shop artwork, then?
emotion_eyebrow

13,550 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
Hayes28
Simply Grim

There are also plenty of people with female avatars that want to dress more masculine too.

..*awkwardly raises hand*

oWo;; Tom-boy here believe it or not. I don't really like cutesy girl avatars/clothes, but that's just me. oWo;; my opinion. if more dude-clothes came out, if I liked it enough, I might wear it. excluding the hair of course. xD;;

emotion_yatta I dunno, I kind of like some of the guy hair. I don't mind some frilly stuff, but other options would be nice. Women wear pants, etc too. Everything doesn't have to be pastel and covered in lace 100% of the time.

Balmvng's Significant Otter

Spoopy Hipster

Bless this thread emotion_kirakira

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out