18,475 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Magical Girl 50
Miles To Go
The Abuse of Love
Miles To Go
The Abuse of Love
I would hate to see newer members get the bad of the deal with rules like these. Just saying.

Since the elimination would be subjective, based on a staff review, that is highly unlikely to happen.

Worst case scenario, an account raises suspicion of being mule, and they crosscheck the IP. But, there's usually enough evidence that a quick skim is enough to prove or disprove.

I do NOT think the elimination should be based on 1 factor alone, therefore newer members (as long as they've BEEN active) should be safe.

Again, as long as it is a PERSON determining whether they (the WINNERS) are mules, and not automated factors, it should be fine.

IP checks are hardly reliable seeing as sometimes a computer is used by more than one person. For example, a few years back two of my cousins came to visit and they both made Gaia accounts at the time. So they were both new accounts with few items, few posts, and from the same IP. Not to mention my sister also played, so that was 4 accounts for one IP, two of which would have looked like mules. So I don't think there is way to weed out mules without also weeding out people that have just as much right to win.

Again.. I can't help but feel you are looking at this from the perspective of 1 factor alone.
They would only be picked off if it was obvious (blatant). MULTIPLE factors would have to come to the same conclusion, for it to be positive.

And this argument is moot I suppose, since an admin publicly condoned using mules to massfarm points.

afk crai.

I can't help but think the same of you.

Either way, I couldn't feel right about knowing that someone could possibly get screwed out a prize just because they aren't a hardcore user or mistaken for a mule.

And while I realize its easy to spot if one IP has twenty accounts versus one or two. Where would you call the line? One IP may have two accounts while another has nineteen. How can you be sure that the one with two doesn't have a mule? And if they can have a mule in the contest why can't the person with nineteen? It just gets tricky weeding out the mules, that's my point.

Wealthy Millionaire

maydayp_p
they could also look for duplicate isp (or what ever it is) that tells you the location of the person in question. which they can do now.
Then that would hurt a families chance. What if you and your brother or sister share the same IP. then you both would be disqualified.

@OP: Those rules would hurt all the new people that just signed up. Which will make alot of people angry.

Cluttered Champion

26,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
But then what about the Rally-Hoes...
NVM YES PLEASE

In a relationship with PoshuI

I think it'll be fine. This isn't the first time Gaia has done a contest where entry was to log in.

Gambino Medalist

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
The Abuse of Love
Miles To Go
The Abuse of Love
Miles To Go
The Abuse of Love
I would hate to see newer members get the bad of the deal with rules like these. Just saying.

Since the elimination would be subjective, based on a staff review, that is highly unlikely to happen.

Worst case scenario, an account raises suspicion of being mule, and they crosscheck the IP. But, there's usually enough evidence that a quick skim is enough to prove or disprove.

I do NOT think the elimination should be based on 1 factor alone, therefore newer members (as long as they've BEEN active) should be safe.

Again, as long as it is a PERSON determining whether they (the WINNERS) are mules, and not automated factors, it should be fine.

IP checks are hardly reliable seeing as sometimes a computer is used by more than one person. For example, a few years back two of my cousins came to visit and they both made Gaia accounts at the time. So they were both new accounts with few items, few posts, and from the same IP. Not to mention my sister also played, so that was 4 accounts for one IP, two of which would have looked like mules. So I don't think there is way to weed out mules without also weeding out people that have just as much right to win.

Again.. I can't help but feel you are looking at this from the perspective of 1 factor alone.
They would only be picked off if it was obvious (blatant). MULTIPLE factors would have to come to the same conclusion, for it to be positive.

And this argument is moot I suppose, since an admin publicly condoned using mules to massfarm points.

afk crai.

I can't help but think the same of you.

Either way, I couldn't feel right about knowing that someone could possibly get screwed out a prize just because they aren't a hardcore user or mistaken for a mule.

And while I realize its easy to spot if one IP has twenty accounts versus one or two. Where would you call the line? One IP may have two accounts while another has nineteen. How can you be sure that the one with two doesn't have a mule? And if they can have a mule in the contest why can't the person with nineteen? It just gets tricky weeding out the mules, that's my point.

I can't help but feel concerned about those who can only access Gaia through an Internet Cafe or Dorm/Student living. Usually the IP is the same for everyone in situations like that, right? So you can have multiple persons living in a Dorm all on different computers but using the same internet connection. Couldn't that also be mistaken one person using mules?

Apocalyptic Streaker

17,850 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Streaker 200
Masquerade! Paper faces on parade. Masquerade!

Sorry, but this is absolutely impossible to enforce without screwing half of the active userbase over. Users access Gaia from many different IP locations with the same identification, some being universal IPs used by libraries, schools, college/university campuses, recreational centers, and the list continues. People can easily change their proxies any moment they wish. You have family members and roommates using the same IPs for their place of residence. There are plenty of users that lurk only in Flash spaces, Guilds, or just lurk the forums without posting for the majority of the time, making their post counts extremely low. The opposite can be said about mules since there are many that are used for RPs or used as secondary "main" accounts that users enjoy breaking out a few times a week. There are even users that take long breaks from Gaia for one reason or another, accounting for their odd lack of posts between X day of X month of X year and Y day of Y month of Y year. Just because an account may only have a few cheap items on it means nothing as new users join every day and there are users who prefer to have a very small inventory of cheap clothing because they are not worried about appearance nor how many items they can accumulate.

There is just no way to weed out the mules over legitimate individual accounts that share the same things you listed as what determines an account being a mule. It is impossible for any site to do that unless they have the psychic ability to tell who is who and what is what.

Hide your face so the world will never find you.
Jesus. Mention the word IP and the community turns its blinders on.

First of all, blatant. BLATANT. So obvious that there is 0 doubt. There are certain accounts you can just TELL are mules.

Example: if one of those minions were to win.

2nd of all, I left any mention of IP checks from the OP for a reason. I am well aware of the issues with it. Matching IP wouldnt = auto disqualified, but if you have the same IP as someone you frequently give event items (ONLY event items), its a major HINT. I guess thats my bad for not elaborating more? Again, the overall decision would still be a group factor, based on SUBJECTIVITY of an OVERALL, OPINION based assessment. Because, as I thought I made clear in OP, humans minds can catch things a 1 or 0 system cannot.

3rd of all, "half the community" would NOT be screwed because of this, I clearly said just the winners, and again, only if it were PAINFULLY obvious.

4th of all, I clearly said these were just examples of ideas, and that staff could create a more well rounded view of options - especially since they have access to account info (beyond just IPs) that normal players dont see. I do not claim to have an end all be all solution, but Im not gonna post a thread complaining of something, without atleast trying to be CONSTRUCTIVE about it. blaugh

Dedicated Loiterer

14,625 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
I don't really mind. But my mules have pretty creative names, so I can imagine users would just become creative in naming their mules and thus work around this method. In the end it might not work.

Dangerous Visionary

I wondering if a person could opt out of the contest. As I don't need another Wii and the other prizes I have no use for.

Invisible Gaian

20,775 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Miss-dark8607
I wondering if a person could opt out of the contest. As I don't need another Wii and the other prizes I have no use for.

No worries there, Gaia isn't going to force its Wii on you if you win. (inb4 TWSS)

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
maydayp_p
they could also look for duplicate isp (or what ever it is) that tells you the location of the person in question. which they can do now.
So my roommates should be disqualified for sharing an IP address with me? No, I don't think so.

Dangerous Visionary

OddBird
Miss-dark8607

No worries there, Gaia isn't going to force its Wii on you if you win. (inb4 TWSS)

chuckles like a kid there* Well that's cool cause if I do win I'll decline.

Invisible Gaian

20,775 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Miss-dark8607
OddBird
Miss-dark8607

chuckles like a kid there* Well that's cool cause if I do win I'll decline.

You might be interested in the alternative, though! This quote also addresses the "mules" aspect:

siskataya
Miserable pile of secrets
siskataya
ScarredRavens
What I want to know is this contest open for everyone? I mean not just US citzens, I looked and it doesn't say. neutral

Heya! I just posted this in another thread, but I'll repost it here since it answers your question:

The Wii contest is open to all Gaians regardless of where they live as long as their country allows them to enter such contests. That said, the one drawback might be that since the Wii is a North American model, it might not work regionally for users who don't live here if they have no way of adapting it to their area.

Still, if you don't want the Wii, you could also opt for the $150 worth of Gaia cash which is being offered as a substitute for the console in case a winner doesn't want the Wii.

Hope this answers your question!
Sisky
hi, since you're here i will be able to have an entry for all of my 101 rp mules right?

you know what, actually i will make 299 mules and rename this account to King Leonidas.

Yep, if you want to take the time to login on your 101 RP mules, you are free to do so. And if you *do* change your name to King Leonidas and make 299 mules, let me know - I'll give you my Spartan spear item. Just don't kick me into a deep and bottomless well though, ok? XD

Take care ^^
Sisky

Post sauce can be found here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out