Welcome to Gaia! ::

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Jisen Meizuki
My Best Enemy
The thing is that this month is LGBT(insert some other letters here) awareness month. They did this as a celebration of that. So *shrug*

February is LGBT awareness month? I thought February is Black History month. sweatdrop

Please excuse my naive mind about not being fully aware about it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
" A Houngan is wandering, away from its swarm. "

||| I believe it's both. We had a MLK item earlier in the month as a freebie grant.

" The wandering Houngan logged out "

Feral Flatterer

Tatsumari
Eden-san

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Not every straight person is a bible guided idiot. Straight people can want to be recognized just as much as the LGBT community. What's wrong with a straight guy or girl being proud of their sexuality? If the LGBT community can be, then so can everyone else. Saying otherwise is kind of closed minded. Saying only certain people should be able to celebrate their sexuality is just as bad as the prejudice from those bible thumpers.

Sorry if I sound like an a**, but I don't think it's fair to be like that.

i'm a straight bible thumper but i still support everyone.. and i think it'd be cool for everyone to get a flag

Here, here! Although, none of my friends believe that I'm religious since I basically blaspheme every other time I open my mouth, but that's beside the point. But, in regard to the actual topic at hand, if people won't concede to having a heterosexual flag made here on Gaia (What's the official design on that, anyway? No, seriously. I'd like to know. The one I saw looked like the Asexual one.) then maybe we can agree to an ally flag to represent equality for everyone?

Widow

Dedicated Regular

34,115 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Megathread 100
All this pointless bickering should be over now, they answered why there isn't one already X.x;

Deadly Sex Symbol

14,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Survivor 150
Jisen Meizuki
My Best Enemy
The thing is that this month is LGBT(insert some other letters here) awareness month. They did this as a celebration of that. So *shrug*

February is LGBT awareness month? I thought February is Black History month. sweatdrop

It's both. I wonder if Gaia made a Black pride symbol, would their be a call for a White Pride symbol as well (especially since White Pride is often tied to racist movements)?

Stubborn Gifter

My Best Enemy
Jisen Meizuki
My Best Enemy

It's both. I wonder if Gaia made a Black pride symbol, would their be a call for a White Pride symbol as well (especially since White Pride is often tied to racist movements)?

There was a MLK freebie few days ago. Does that count? sweatdrop

Deadly Sex Symbol

14,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Survivor 150
Jisen Meizuki
My Best Enemy
Jisen Meizuki
My Best Enemy

There was a MLK freebie few days ago. Does that count? sweatdrop

If a month counts as a few days then sure, it does. XD
January isn't Black History month, so it's slightly out of context to mention it here. Especially since the item itself was made a day after MLK day.

Just noticed the typos in my post above. Ehh... too lazy to fix them.

Antaresia's Kouhai

Shy Hellhound

13,875 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
lmao @ these angry tumblrinas taking any chance they get to deny str8 people a flag on a ******** forum site.

as part of the lgbt community, i want there to be a straight "pride" flag, too. who the ******** cares if they get one?

grow up. i'm so tired of the lgbt community whining about the pettiest things like straight people wanting a flag.

Heart Tamer

-o-Dragonball-o-
Gash Thrashum
You don't need a pride flag/day/month/movement if you're straight and cisgender. Why anyone who was born as the default, socially accepted gender and sexual orientation would feel left out is baffling to me. You don't face any hardships for being heterosexual or cisgender; The reason why there's black pride, gay pride, etc. among other things is because pride flags and movements are a means to empower, fight against the status quo and bring recognition in the hopes that others will become more tolerant, which is sad considering people are being brutalized and dehumanized for something they can't change. You don't even need to think about or question your sexual orientation, gender or how people are going to perceive you. You don't have to worry about being mistreated or being refused work because you're transgender or gay. You don't have to worry about being disowned by your family for coming out or the psychological trauma that comes with the territory.

I'm a straight cisgender male, and I perfectly understand these things. I don't need a flag or pride; I have no need for them. I'm lucky I don't have to deal with the extra hardships, and that is enough. I don't have to worry about anyone bringing me down for being a straight cisgender male, and the thought never crosses my mind. That is more than any flag or movement can ever give you, yet you still feel the need to complain about some supposed double standard? In an ideal world where we can erase history and put everyone on equal footing, sure. However, that's not the way things are.

Yes because there are never homosexuals that bash straight people, that never happens.
Ever. Because the LGBT community can do no wrong, right?

That's a joke and you know it, regardless of the fact that the media capitalizes on heterosexuals bashing gays, it still happens.

Requesting to be included in the pride flags doesn't trivialize any kind of LBGT movements or pride marches. To think that it does is completely asinine.

It's just a flag, that's all the request is for a straight pride flag.

Even if there are homosexuals (already a very small minority) that bash (for illegitimate reasons? an even smaller group) straight cisgender people, it's really benign because there's no history of discrimination or discrimination currently happening against them. There's no real offense because being straight and cisgender is the norm everywhere in the world. It has about as much impact as someone calling the ultra-rich greedy, capitalist scum; it might make them feel bad for a little while, but that's about it. That's what we call punching up. When you attack those who are already at a social and systemic disadvantage, that is called punching down, which of course, is much more serious. We can't just ignore history or context when we analyze these things. It's the same reason why the term "cracker," while potentially insulting (and I don't encourage anyone to use it against others), will never hold as much hatred or weight as calling someone a "******."

Eye of Yog's Rizzler

Camp Otaku

32,475 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Consumer 100
Gash Thrashum
-o-Dragonball-o-
Gash Thrashum
You don't need a pride flag/day/month/movement if you're straight and cisgender. Why anyone who was born as the default, socially accepted gender and sexual orientation would feel left out is baffling to me. You don't face any hardships for being heterosexual or cisgender; The reason why there's black pride, gay pride, etc. among other things is because pride flags and movements are a means to empower, fight against the status quo and bring recognition in the hopes that others will become more tolerant, which is sad considering people are being brutalized and dehumanized for something they can't change. You don't even need to think about or question your sexual orientation, gender or how people are going to perceive you. You don't have to worry about being mistreated or being refused work because you're transgender or gay. You don't have to worry about being disowned by your family for coming out or the psychological trauma that comes with the territory.

I'm a straight cisgender male, and I perfectly understand these things. I don't need a flag or pride; I have no need for them. I'm lucky I don't have to deal with the extra hardships, and that is enough. I don't have to worry about anyone bringing me down for being a straight cisgender male, and the thought never crosses my mind. That is more than any flag or movement can ever give you, yet you still feel the need to complain about some supposed double standard? In an ideal world where we can erase history and put everyone on equal footing, sure. However, that's not the way things are.

Yes because there are never homosexuals that bash straight people, that never happens.
Ever. Because the LGBT community can do no wrong, right?

That's a joke and you know it, regardless of the fact that the media capitalizes on heterosexuals bashing gays, it still happens.

Requesting to be included in the pride flags doesn't trivialize any kind of LBGT movements or pride marches. To think that it does is completely asinine.

It's just a flag, that's all the request is for a straight pride flag.

Even if there are homosexuals (already a very small minority) that bash (for illegitimate reasons? an even smaller group) straight cisgender people, it's really benign because there's no history of discrimination or discrimination currently happening against them. There's no real offense because being straight and cisgender is the norm everywhere in the world. It has about as much impact as someone calling the ultra-rich greedy, capitalist scum; it might make them feel bad for a little while, but that's about it. That's what we call punching up. When you attack those who are already at a social and systemic disadvantage, that is called punching down, which of course, is much more serious. We can't just ignore history or context when we analyze these things. It's the same reason why the term "cracker," while potentially insulting (and I don't encourage anyone to use it against others), will never hold as much hatred or weight as calling someone a "******."

So because straight people aren't discriminated against they can't have a flag to show pride in being straight?
Is the LBGT community that petty?

OhaiBai's Waifu

Phantom

Reingard
Triana Orpheus Venture
Reingard
I think straight flag is great idea.

I know it is LGBT month, but I can't see how that would disallow Gaia releasing flag item for straight people too.

My question is this: What would be on a flag for straight people?

I wrote my comment while doing some internet searching on these flags generally (I was not familiar with meaning of all the different flags, and I got interested), and learned that there really isn't settled flag for hetero sexual people, which I find a little unfortunate. There apparently exists few proposed flags, but I guess there should be definitive design before Gaia could do anything.

I saw comment suggesting that hetero sexual people could use the rainbow flag for the meantime, since they had always understood that it stood for "every sexual orientation". I know some people interpret rainbow flag to be for homo sexuals, but I thought their interpretation was good and respectful, especially when, at lest I, understood that this flag item update was made to celebrate pride AND equality.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I did some searching too and even something like this would be fine. Straight ally flag. But yeah, using the rainbow one as a stand in is a good idea.

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
Myrielle
I think these distinctions are superficial personally because I prefer to see the person and not the race or gender or class. I don't like to play from that deck anyway. sweatdrop

This is my sentiment exactly! I don't care what a person is categorized as by today's society - I just care about whether the person is a genuinely kind individual 3nodding .

HalIows's Wife

Girl-Crazy Wife

Do you want a 'not handicapped' sign for your car too? o.O

EDIT: I'll add a bit of seriousness to my post....

I could care less if one exists. But it's so pointless, and silly, and confusing.
I have a hard time believing anyone is serious with this argument... cat_sweatdrop

"As someone who is not a member of any minority and has faced no oppression or injustice,
I want to have a special flag to represent my pride in the fact that i am average and normal person not facing any adversity... "

.... just.... really? cat_sweatdrop It's not about making everyone feel special, it's about a movement for people who are different just trying to fit in. If you aren't different and already fit in, you have NO NEED for a pride flag. Not saying you don't deserve one... It's just as silly as putting a 'not handicap' sign on your car... all you are doing is pissing off the people who ARE a member of that group, and that is why so many LGBT people are upset about this suggestion, because it devalues their movement so that the people they are trying to 'fit in with' don't have to feel left out... when LGBT not feeling left out form that 'normal group is the entire point of the movement in the first place...

Put a 'not handicapped' sign on your car and people will take it as insulting and degrading, just as wearing a 'not queer' flag will be taken is insulting and degrading by some...

Deadly Sex Symbol

14,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Survivor 150
Throttle Kitty
Do you want a 'not handicapped' sign for your car too? o.O
I laughed harder than I should. lol

You're perfect~ XD

O.G. Firestarter

22,425 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
"Straight pride" just feels completely unnecessary in a society that assumes heterosexuality is normal (and therefore default). Yeah, it's common, but that's no reason to view anything else as ~unnatural~ or ~omg weird~ like people tend to do.

Plus "pride" in this context is about countering the ******** of s**t thrown at people who aren't cis or hetero. A few little jokes about "wow straight people color code their kids" is not at all comparable to kids being booted out of their houses or fired from their jobs for being a little too visibly different.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff