Welcome to Gaia! ::

Skilled Genius

So we all know, or at least should know, that there's 100,000 byte limit for signatures. The problem is and you can find this running quite ramped in the Chatterbox threads, users with animated GIF signatures that are several hundred thousand bytes, and sometimes even a few megabytes. Which means for users that report signature content sizes there is a lot to report. All those reports bog down a moderators job to deal with more severe violations sooner, such as sexually explicit content and abuse/harassment. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

By adding in an analyzer to check the byte size of the content being submitted (and to check signatures retroactively as well would be nice), including the image byte size this would greatly reduce signature content violations.

Updated
Rgoodermote pointed out where Carbonphyber said it's more than likely not going to happen.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/site-feedback/improve-signature-system/t.73170783_23/#23
This makes me sad. Gaia should at least host the images in the signatures then! 3nodding

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Ohhh that sounds like a good idea. I bet it would help users and mods alike.

Newbie Noob

Not quite sure how something like this would work as far as coding, but I LOVE the idea to bits. Yes please!!

Skilled Genius

Darth Acheron

It would! Then signatures would only get reported for violating content, e.g. gore, small byte-sized animated flashing GIFs, things like that. Thus saving them from having to pay 10, 100, 1000, 10k, 100k, etc in fines for going of the byte size. Then as I also said it would reduce the reports moderators deal with allowing them to get to more severe violations.

Skilled Genius

Rinapon
Not quite sure how something like this would work as far as coding, but I LOVE the idea to bits. Yes please!!

It's very feasible, just requires some server-side scripting. http://userstyles.org/ does it for screenshots you try to upload with the UserStyle CSS. If the images byte size is too big it'll reject it.

Newbie Noob

Knight Yoshi

It's very feasible, just requires some server-side scripting. http://userstyles.org/ does it for screenshots you try to upload with the UserStyle CSS. If the images byte size is too big it'll reject it.
This just makes me even more excited about the idea. Something like this getting implemented would be downright heavenly! emotion_kirakira

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
Knight Yoshi
Darth Acheron

It would! Then signatures would only get reported for violating content, e.g. gore, small byte-sized animated flashing GIFs, things like that. Thus saving them from having to pay 10, 100, 1000, 10k, 100k, etc in fines for going of the byte size. Then as I also said it would reduce the reports moderators deal with allowing them to get to more severe violations.
Or if they blatantly ignore it, if they could. Sounds like a win-win to me. Perhaps there could be a pop up that explains why the img or gif was rejected and a way to offer to resize it.

Skilled Genius

Darth Acheron
Knight Yoshi
Darth Acheron

Or if they blatantly ignore it, if they could. Sounds like a win-win to me. Perhaps there could be a pop up that explains why the img or gif was rejected and a way to offer to resize it.

There's that too, some people simply do not care. I had a friend who did that. I was texting her and I told her that her signature was too big. She said she didn't care, I said it would get her signature disabled if reported and she still blatantly didn't care. So I reported it, and she hasn't talked to me since. lol
Well that would end up being in the return of the request why it was rejected. 3nodding

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
Knight Yoshi
Darth Acheron
Knight Yoshi
Darth Acheron

There's that too, some people simply do not care. I had a friend who did that. I was texting her and I told her that her signature was too big. She said she didn't care, I said it would get her signature disabled if reported and she still blatantly didn't care. So I reported it, and she hasn't talked to me since. lol
Well that would end up being in the return of the request why it was rejected. 3nodding
I think that would be a lot of the CB and the GD. Cool, I'm not too familiar with the server side coding, still trying to learn some of the languages.

Wheezing Elder

22,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Survivor 150
This would be fantastic and if implemented might actually push me towards reenabling sigs.

Healing Healer

17,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PLEASE.

I have wondered for so long why they don't already have this. So many other sites do not allow you to upload/link a file if it's too big (either in dimensions or file size), namely forum avatars. It must be possible for Gaia to make it so that it won't save if there's a problem with the linked image, and it would be well worth the effort because moderators should never have to waste their time disabling signatures when Gaia could screen them out itself.

This is pretty important, if Gaia still cares about users' bandwidth and moderators' efforts.

Skilled Genius

Bluecandescent
This is pretty important, if Gaia still cares about users' bandwidth and moderators' efforts.

Yep, otherwise they might as well do away with the 100k byte limit rule.
Bluecandescent
So many other sites do not allow you to upload/link a file if it's too big (either in dimensions or file size)

I've wished for a long time that they made it so that it just wouldn't save somebody's signature if it was over the size limits, instead come up with some red text telling them that their file/files are too big.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
This would be awesome, I've gone over the byte limit before, but it was a complete accident.

Something like this would be really helpful for everyone.

Visionary

19,825 Points
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
I've had issues with signature size a couple times in the past. Something like this would be very helpful.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff