Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Noob

A long, long time ago, there was another forum where people who liked a game used to hang out and talk about that game and other things. One day, a member there said there was a site called Gaia where we could do magical things like dress up avatars and sell art for gold and that if we joined via her referral link, she would get rewarded. And that's how I found Gaia.

For those who weren't around while the referral system was alive, if someone joined via your referral link, you got a little bit of gold and an increased chance of random events(not sure if that part actually worked, but still).

I'd like to see a return of the referral system. Not with gold rewards because hello economy, but I think it could work with a raffle. For every person/X people joining via your link, you'd get a raffle ticket and have a chance of winning a cool item when the raffle was drawn(red devil mini wings, or a new item along those lines perhaps?). I know we have the feature that allows us to invite friends via email, but all my friends either joined already or don't want to. I don't think sending them emails would change that. Random strangers on other sites though(where referral links are allowed)...

Why? Because it'd bring in new users. It's basically free advertising for Gaia. And because raffles are cool :B

Gaia already has ways of telling if another account is yours and you wouldn't get your ticket if your referee was invalid or didn't verify their account(maybe they would have to be a member for X amount of time first or something as well?).

Maybe with a limit on how many people you could refer per day as well or make it so that only the first X referrals a month earned you tickets to give everyone more of a fair chance of winning.

Edit - 18/07/13: Ooh, and! People who joined via a referral link could get a little referred-newbie pack with some extra things to get them started. Nothing game-breaking, maybe an extra newbie outfit, a thing of pet food(since pets seem to be coming soon), etc. None of the items should be able to be sold back to stores either(trash option would still be there, etc.), just some little freebies to encourage people to use the referral link.

Dangerous Bloodsucker

I really like this idea. ^^ Even if not a raffle, I think the referral system could use a revive of some kind. I had another account (not this one) when it existed and I think it was pretty useful in getting new members to join, which I think is something Gaia could really use right now.

Clean Streaker

14,550 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Elocutionist 200
Reviving the referral system sounds like a great idea!
It's basically free member-generated advertisement for Gaia, and it would be fun.

Scholarly Storyteller

29,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
They could restrict prizes by IP. To discourage the mule thing. so you only get a raffle ticket if your IP is different from the person you referred.

Lonely Lunatic

Ha, I actually originally found Gaia through someone's referral link, I think, though I don't think I actually joined until a little bit later.

Reviving it certainly isn't a bad idea. 3nodding

Intellectual Sex Symbol

I would love to see this

Dapper Noob

Dapper Noob

Legal. heart
Good idea! whee

(I think you were right about the increased chance of random events; but the occurrence would only last for a week or something? It balanced things out. c: )

Fluffy Bear

15,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
This is a really good idea, I had no idea that it was dead... That is such stupid business practice to let free advertising rot away like that.

Dapper Noob

Nights-Rune
This is a really good idea, I had no idea that it was dead... That is such stupid business practice to let free advertising rot away like that.

Well, there's still the ability to invite friends via email here which gives 100g, but I think referral links are more likely to get people to actually join and even stay than emails. >.>

----

Even if I were to email my friends, that's only a small group of people. They're not likely to join(if they even read the email) and if they did join, they'd be joining because I asked them to, not because they think the site looks interesting.

Vs

A referral link with our avatar and a cute background or something that we can put in signatures(on sites that allow it). A lot more people will see it(as Nights-Rune said, it's free advertising :3) and the people who do join are joining because they think it looks interesting, making them more likely to stick around.

~Added a bit about referred-newbie packs to the OP.

Dapper Noob

~Legal bump heart

Lonely Fairy

15,050 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
there was a bidding war thing and it was horrible. and once u bought tickets you never got ur gold back when they shut it down. but a raffle is a good idea.

Omnipresent Streaker

23,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
User Image

I love it.

Omnipresent Streaker

23,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
dragonlover5
there was a bidding war thing and it was horrible. and once u bought tickets you never got ur gold back when they shut it down. but a raffle is a good idea.

User Image

You were able to get your gold back, you mustn't have done it in time, which really sucks.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff