Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Friend

15,475 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • 1 Win 50
  • PvP 200
A Wandering Houngan
It almost seems like they have an individual that just sits there and slaps color overlays on the items and then calls it a "recolor" without putting in any effort whatsoever.

" I did everything you asked! "
Yep, that sounds like something they would do. And then they probably turn around and ridicule the people dumb enough to buy them. They'll do anything and everything they can get away with to entice the lab rats into spending money here, and they have zero respect for us. This is evidenced by the prices they charge for some of this crap and the fact they never respond to any feedback.
So many bad recolors in the past couple days.
Beyond Cream, French and Strawberry Bunilla, Mewkola (I like the sweater but the leg mods are ew)...

Beyond Cream is pretty much entirely one color. Recolored shading on Bunilla's and Mewkola's leg mods are horrible. And they all follow the same, predictable color palette of recolors. huhhhh

edit: oh dear, forgot to mention Magical Ascension. Leg mod is already an awkward pose but that pink outline on white stockings? For $15?

Sparkling Hero

they don't even recolor all the time...
          i was looking through the halos and found this.
          User Image

the mythrill halo from 2007 is on the left and the angelic quartz halo is on the right. they literally just renamed an item and lowered it a bit but it's worth so much. so... freaking... lazy.

Familiar Shapeshifter

17,125 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Brandisher 100
G0LD NUGGET
Beyond Cream, French and Strawberry Bunilla, Mewkola (I like the sweater but the leg mods are ew)...

Beyond Cream is pretty much entirely one color. Recolored shading on Bunilla's and Mewkola's leg mods are horrible. And they all follow the same, predictable color palette of recolors. huhhhh

edit: oh dear, forgot to mention Magical Ascension. Leg mod is already an awkward pose but that pink outline on white stockings? For $15?

I hope I don't see a CHOCOLATE Bunilla in the time lapse of less then a week.
Mikola. The two leg poses look very different in the color of the socks. One of them is far more faded looking than the other.

Also, how come they made the sweater so similar to the one in the original Nekola, but instead of making it regular ol' black (since some people were sad that it seemed to have a slight brown tint in the original), they made it blue tinted and paler?
Glad someone else thinks the same as me, I am so fed up of all these low quality recolors and them charging a hefty price for some of them, but what has also caught my attention is that some of the new wigs are also like this, not all of them are in the same color/s and are hard to match up >.<

Also the new Summer Haircut is utterly pointless and leaves your avatar looking like a pixelated mess!

User Image

User Image

I mean the hair is hanging in mid air! There's so many pixels missing from the wig after you equip the Summer Haircuts! o.o
Not worth the money in my opinion!

-ScourgeTheHedghog-
G0LD NUGGET

I hope I don't see a CHOCOLATE Bunilla in the time lapse of less then a week.

Oh jeezus another opportunity for more BROWN.
It'll look like this: blonde hair, brown band-aid, dark brown purse, brown clothing, brown leggings with slightly darker brown shoes.
At best, maybe some red detail that harkens back to Sundae Sweets.
New recolor RIG is out.

Graceful Crimson Shoes. This isn't a particularly egregious case, but it more speaks to my bafflement about Gaia's recolor habits. These leg mod/shoes have black stockings. Midnight Crimson Shoes, which we already have, have black stockings. They did not use the black stockings from the midnight shoes and instead recolored them black again, but more faded looking this time. Why? D: Copy-paste = quicker already anyway. Meanwhile, it looks like they did use the exact same cream stockings for two of the other new recolors though.

Here's the midnight shoes, the graceful recolor we got, and then the graceful shoes with the midnight stockings (I touched up the shoes a little while I was at it too, but that's not all that noticeable a difference.)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Edit: There's a new purple and black pair with the same problem. Forgot to check them since I didn't think I would end up using them myself.

Additionally, I was looking at the new highwire recolors. The umbrellas all have white stripes where the old highwires had black ones. Not all of these new umbrellas have the same shading on their white stripes though. The black and white one especially has much heavier shading than the pink and periwinkle versions. Again, why? The light colored lace at the bottom of these umbrellas is too dark too. sad

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I wonder if Gaia has an Art Lead anymore? Back when Juno used to be Art Lead before she left (in Feb. 2011), IIRC, part of her job entailed making sure the finished product was of appropriate quality before it could be released.

I also remember when milkbun and Buki affirmed once that recoloring took up a lot of time due to having to go through the layers individually and recoloring each of them. In fact, here's a quote from Buki (who doesn't work at Gaia anymore) two years ago:

Buki
Like manually going into several of the 200+ individual layers that hue shifting is just not good enough.

Source

But now it seems like they've decided doing that is good enough.

Virtuous Prophet

11,500 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Invisibility 100
I know I shouldn't but I still lolled. Wow. Thanks for posting this, you even did the color count to be sure, great post.
So, I found this post in the avatar item glitch sticky. It seems to lend more support for what I've suspected for a while now -- that recoloring is not being done by the people who create original items.

Miori
SuccuViv
Miori
godina (original) should now work with lestelle tops ;>
That's great C: could the same change be applied to: Chocolate, Caramel, Mint, Raisin, Blueberry, Cherry, Strawberry, Lavander and Milady Godina? <3

I only had a hand in the original, so hopefully the artists responsible for the recolors see this
i'll also pass it along to someone who may be able to look into it

Invisible Bibliophile

7,100 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
I saw that in the avatar item glitch sticky too, it makes me wonder what exactly is going on. The recolors are just so bad that I figured it couldn't be from the original artists, but I feel a lot of the items have lost that spark that artists used to have in creating them.
Pink Dragoness -> Black Dragoness. What the hell are you guys doing? Are you even still trying to get this right? emotion_facepalm

I was gonna post something about the boots from The Baron's Rose, but then I saw the original boots. (I didn't follow that original EI because I'm not into the color scheme.) The original looks just as odd. What is going on with those boots?
How did this even get out the door? emotion_facepalm

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff