• Team Kitten Star 75
*regarding >w<"

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100
Legal bump

This is important stuff! I can't believe that we still only have the vague 'a few weeks' with no official word on down time start/end.

A Hoarder

21,525 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Thanks for making this thread Lady! I was totally unaware that z! was coming down for a bit. Now that I'm just learning this I feel a little nervous about its fate...answers from the staff would be wonderful...

Peaceful Bibliophile

19,475 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Mark Twain 100

I am very interested in this issue. I have always loved zOMG.

Fluffy Noob

Zomg is my daily hangout.. what will I do while I wait... ;n

Saxy Coder

Kyorukki
*regarding >w<"
emotion_facepalm Spell check works in my text boxes but not the title boxes...

(It used to be "Questing Regrading ..." until my other friend picked up on it XD)

Innovative Duck

I will say, gaia doesnt even bother to care about zomg, in my opinion

Divine Sex Symbol

Everyone I believe I know what the "critical issue" is!

Lately when I've been going into zOMG! my gold count has been a negative number (-500000 something). As I have several billion gold in my account right now, I believe that holding so much gold broke the counter.

I have asked around and at least 2 other users with over 3 bil gold in their accounts are seeing the counter on zOMG! as a negative number. This can only mean that it is not a glitch on my end, but a failure of zOMG! to correctly display the gold count.

I saw a thread the other day here in SF where a user quoted a dev as saying that they had upgraded the system that counts gold from 32 bit (gold cap max: 2,147,483,647) to 64 bit (gold cap max: 18,446,744,073,709,551,616). It is this upgrade to the gold system that has allowed Gaia HQ to release hundreds of different types of gold generators without consequence.

Gaia HQ is completely aware that they have broken the economy. That's why a second mass goldsink was released just days after the first one. They know. And they do not care about zOMG! because it does not bring in money. This fact was acknowledged by [JK] before he stopped working on zOMG!

So why does Gaia HQ suddenly seem interested in fixing zOMG! after neglecting the game for so long? Isn't it odd that the announcement to take down zOMG! came around the time of the Elysium's Gate goldsink and when gold generators rose to a 40-75 bil top payout (and now over 100 bil top payout)? Don't you think that Gaia HQ may be trying to cover this problem they created themselves by taking down zOMG! to upgrade its gold counter display to reflect the new site wide gold cap?

With the gold cap so high now, Gaia HQ must be factoring in that user gold counts will continue to rise for years to come. It is not unreasonable to think that even users who do not buy gold generators or vend will someday hold over 2,147,483,647 in their accounts. That includes users who play zOMG!. Therefore, it only makes sense to upgrade parts of the site that were coded when the gold cap was still using 32 bit. zOMG! is one of these parts of the site. To prevent the game from becoming completely obsolete it must be upgraded to reflect 64 bit Gaia, and I believe that is the reason why Gaia HQ is taking down the game.

Mega Hoarder

Bitchboots

Lately when I've been going into zOMG! my gold count has been a negative number (-500000 something). As I have several billion gold in my account right now, I believe that holding so much gold broke the counter.

I have asked around and at least 2 other users with over 3 bil gold in their accounts are seeing the counter on zOMG! as a negative number. This can only mean that it is not a glitch on my end, but a failure of zOMG! to correctly display the gold count.

I saw a thread the other day here in SF where a user quoted a dev as saying that they had upgraded the system that counts gold from 32 bit (gold cap max: 2,147,483,647) to 64 bit (gold cap max: 18,446,744,073,709,551,616). It is this upgrade to the gold system that has allowed Gaia HQ to release hundreds of different types of gold generators without consequence.

Gaia HQ is completely aware that they have broken the economy. That's why a second mass goldsink was released just days after the first one. They know. And they do not care about zOMG! because it does not bring in money. This fact was acknowledged by [JK] before he stopped working on zOMG!

So why does Gaia HQ suddenly seem interested in fixing zOMG! after neglecting the game for so long? Isn't it odd that the announcement to take down zOMG! came around the time of the Elysium's Gate goldsink and when gold generators rose to a 40-75 bil top payout (and now over 100 bil top payout)? Don't you think that Gaia HQ may be trying to cover this problem they created themselves by taking down zOMG! to upgrade its gold counter display to reflect the new site wide gold cap?

With the gold cap so high now, Gaia HQ must be factoring in that user gold counts will continue to rise for years to come. It is not unreasonable to think that even users who do not buy gold generators or vend will someday hold over 2,147,483,647 in their accounts. That includes users who play zOMG!. Therefore, it only makes sense to upgrade parts of the site that were coded when the gold cap was still using 32 bit. zOMG! is one of these parts of the site. To prevent the game from becoming completely obsolete it must be upgraded to reflect 64 bit Gaia, and I believe that is the reason why Gaia HQ is taking down the game.

Interesting possibility. It would be nice if they would just tell us.

However, I doubt the gold counts will rise for years to come, I expect this site to be dead by the end of 2014.

Saxy Coder

Bitchboots

We've known about that gold cap for a while actually o3o (some of my friends even made jokes about it a while back)
If that's deemed a "critical issue" though, I wonder why the Cash Counter (which has been stuck at zero for months now) wasn't an "issue" as well...

My guess was that it had to do with the "Silent NPCs" bug (listed in that "Master Glitch List" which I have linked in the first post)
Seems that problem has been popping up more frequently now, which leaves many new players at a loss of what to do.

Divine Sex Symbol

RafiCat

Interesting possibility. It would be nice if they would just tell us.

However, I doubt the gold counts will rise for years to come, I expect this site to be dead by the end of 2014.

It is unlikely that Gaia HQ will put in the time to explain what exactly they are fixing in zOMG!. After all, it took 5 pages of Site Feedback flooded by users angry about the gcash flash sale PMs AND hundreds of users reporting admin for the PM spam for Gaia HQ to say anything on the matter. By contrast, the voice of the zOMG! community is very small.

The inflation alone will contribute to even the most casual users selling their items for hundreds of millions and even billions. With the daily market fluctuations items that were selling for 5 million gold today could sell for 30 million gold tomorrow. Likewise items that are selling for 100 million gold today could sell for 500 million gold tomorrow. And so on. Enough of these fluctuations and a user will easily go over 3 billion gold. That is what I meant when I said that user gold counts will continue to rise for years to come.

As much as we all like to say that Gaia is going to crash and burn by the end of this year, I think that is unlikely too. There are millions of users on Gaia, and many of them have been or are become Gcash buyers. Gaia continues to release new gold generators because they are massive money makers for the site. That is not to say that many older users haven't or won't leave; they have, and as Gaia HQ continues to mention the new invite rewards in every single cash shop announcement.. they certainly know it. But even with as many users leaving, there are enough of them on the site to support Gaia through the end of this year and on into the next one.

Swashbuckling Sentai

i'd like to know what they plan to do about the alchemy ingredients that can only be obtained in zomg

Divine Sex Symbol

Lady Saxophone
Bitchboots

We've known about that gold cap for a while actually o3o (some of my friends even made jokes about it a while back)
If that's deemed a "critical issue" though, I wonder why the Cash Counter (which has been stuck at zero for months now) wasn't an "issue" as well...

My guess was that it had to do with the "Silent NPCs" bug (listed in that "Master Glitch List" which I have linked in the first post)
Seems that problem has been popping up more frequently now, which leaves many new players at a loss of what to do.
But that begs the question of why take interest in fixing zOMG! now? The only major change to Gaia in the last year or so has been the inflation.

We all know that there are no devs working on zOMG! right now, and that there haven't been any for a while. Unless Gaia HQ has made enough money from all these gold generators, recolors, limited releases, etc, from a business standpoint, why would they want to hire someone, even on contract temporarily, to fix zOMG! when they could just continue to use their revenue to release more things that make money?

What has prompted them to fix the game now? The silent NPC glitch, not being able to catch chickens in Bill's Ranch glitch, and many others have been around for a while now. There is no critical bug that popped up recently that could possibly warrant anyone at Gaia HQ to want to fix the game. And as it does not bring in money, from a business standpoint, there is no reason to fix the game at all.
Why are some people saying they think zOMG! will be removed permanently when it goes down? This gold sink's first tier prize is a "beach party" on gold beach, isn't it?

Bitchboots's Prince

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

bluecherry
Why are some people saying they think zOMG! will be removed permanently when it goes down? This gold sink's first tier prize is a "beach party" on gold beach, isn't it?
Gold Beach in Towns 2. We've known for awhile they're planning to port zOMG assets to Towns.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff