Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Bleeding Apocalypse
There were a lot of request threads I've read through the years that asked that rare events get a nice update. Not just the pink links/pink boxes, but even the Pink, Blue and Brown Magical Giftboxes and Golden and Wooden Trunks. They could use an update, too. Maybe (and this is totally my selfish side speaking here) they could put some Alchemy ingredients in there? Some that are harder to find?

*CoughMagentaBedouinTunicsCough.*

Totally agreed.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
I've never in my life wanted a trunk or giftbox because the items are are 1g. sweatdrop If they get an update, please put in 99gc quality items/old RIG items/old RIGs/MANtises/ext.

Writer

dreamsk
I've never in my life wanted a trunk or giftbox because the items are are 1g. sweatdrop If they get an update, please put in 99gc quality items/old RIG items/old RIGs/MANtises/ext.

To restore them to what they were in old-school Gaia, they would need to be more than 99GC or something similar in worth. They would need to put actual good items in them.

It was still hard to get something truly spectacular, but the best items from back then, such as nitemare headbands and fresh grass skirts, came out of the pink boxes. So, it was really really really a good option to just sell the pink box and make like 55,000 gold, which back then was awesome.

A surprise that gives nothing loses its effectiveness, and I think the giftboxes/pink links still have potential to be one of the best surprises. It's really nice to get something you weren't expecting, and it doesn't cost GC or 1/2 a day spent in the Marketplace.

Writer

KittieCupcakes
Here's the problem with this: Gaia giving its users gold for free is detrimental to its business plan.
Also, when there's too much gold in a system, more gold is not the answer.

Rare events are not gold gens, though. Gold gens are a certain thing, they are sold prominently, and they give out a LOT of gold. If you have an economy where 55,000 buys a fairly good item and once in three weeks or less a user gets 10,000 that's not going to cause any inflation. It'll be a pleasant surprise, but no more. I know this because before the inflation started the pink boxes and blue boxes and pink links were something everybody looked forward to and appreciated. And in all my years on this site, nobody seemed visibly worried that rare events would unbalance the economy. Your concerns stem mainly from the prominence of inflation in current discourse. Something that gives you a nice item or some gold once in a blue moon won't do that. Only systematic massive influxes of gold can do that.

Brainy Kitten

17,775 Points
  • Team Carl 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Serenicus
KittieCupcakes
Here's the problem with this: Gaia giving its users gold for free is detrimental to its business plan.
Also, when there's too much gold in a system, more gold is not the answer.

Rare events are not gold gens, though. Gold gens are a certain thing, they are sold prominently, and they give out a LOT of gold. If you have an economy where 55,000 buys a fairly good item and once in three weeks or less a user gets 10,000 that's not going to cause any inflation. It'll be a pleasant surprise, but no more. I know this because before the inflation started the pink boxes and blue boxes and pink links were something everybody looked forward to and appreciated. And in all my years on this site, nobody seemed visibly worried that rare events would unbalance the economy. Your concerns stem mainly from the prominence of inflation in current discourse. Something that gives you a nice item or some gold once in a blue moon won't do that. Only systematic massive influxes of gold can do that.
If you say so. I didn't think that "gold gen" was dependent on the amount received, but whatever. I always defined it as gold being added to the system, whether a lot or a little. But really, it makes no difference to me. I don't think that people are concerned about rare events because gold gens have a much larger impact, thus the disconnect between the two. I think, however, that if they thought about it for a little bit, they might realize that adding more gold to an already hyper-inflated system is not even close to the answer.
In any case, I'm over it. I can't bring myself to care anymore about this economy. After all, why should users care when the staff doesn't?

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
Serenicus
dreamsk

To restore them to what they were in old-school Gaia, they would need to be more than 99GC or something similar in worth. They would need to put actual good items in them.

It was still hard to get something truly spectacular, but the best items from back then, such as nitemare headbands and fresh grass skirts, came out of the pink boxes. So, it was really really really a good option to just sell the pink box and make like 55,000 gold, which back then was awesome.

A surprise that gives nothing loses its effectiveness, and I think the giftboxes/pink links still have potential to be one of the best surprises. It's really nice to get something you weren't expecting, and it doesn't cost GC or 1/2 a day spent in the Marketplace.
The 99gc items in Meganeko are good items I think. emotion_dowant

Writer

dreamsk
Serenicus
dreamsk

I mean, I know cheap items are not necessarily bad items. I am just pointing out that in the spirit of the "old ways," the pink giftboxes contained some of the more desirable but accessible items on the site. Not the absolute best items, but ones you'd be really happy to get. Of course,you could get something cheap and not that great. But the prospect of a Nitemare Headband or Fresh Grass Skirt, back then, was a really happy thought for people.

I am not sure this model fits with Gaia as it is now. I am just saying that's what it was like back then.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
Serenicus
dreamsk
Serenicus
dreamsk

I mean, I know cheap items are not necessarily bad items. I am just pointing out that in the spirit of the "old ways," the pink giftboxes contained some of the more desirable but accessible items on the site. Not the absolute best items, but ones you'd be really happy to get. Of course,you could get something cheap and not that great. But the prospect of a Nitemare Headband or Fresh Grass Skirt, back then, was a really happy thought for people.

I am not sure this model fits with Gaia as it is now. I am just saying that's what it was like back then.
The grass skirt used to be a super popular item, but I don't recall how much it cost. I don't recall ever getting/wanting one. But I think our expectations on quality of items has gone up since then. An item with at least a few poses with rich coloration.

Writer

dreamsk
Serenicus
dreamsk
Serenicus
dreamsk

The grass skirt used to be a super popular item, but I don't recall how much it cost. I don't recall ever getting/wanting one. But I think our expectations on quality of items has gone up since then. An item with at least a few poses with rich coloration.

My memory of prices back then is a bit fuzzy at this point, but I remember the fresh grass skirt was worth a good amount.

Since almost everything right now is subject to eventual re-release, I am fairly sure they could figure out what to put in the rare event boxes. I admit it would take a pretty decent amount of time for them, but there does seem to be a trend where they are correcting various outdated things. For example, AutoCash used to give 200 bonus cash on a 5000 Gaia Cash subscription. They updated that to be 1000. Etc.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
Serenicus
dreamsk
Serenicus
dreamsk
Serenicus
dreamsk

My memory of prices back then is a bit fuzzy at this point, but I remember the fresh grass skirt was worth a good amount.

Since almost everything right now is subject to eventual re-release, I am fairly sure they could figure out what to put in the rare event boxes. I admit it would take a pretty decent amount of time for them, but there does seem to be a trend where they are correcting various outdated things. For example, AutoCash used to give 200 bonus cash on a 5000 Gaia Cash subscription. They updated that to be 1000. Etc.
They have a looot of items to choose from. emotion_drool I would kind of like if they took out the old items (except furniture/angelic/demonic items) and replaced them with decent items.

Surl E Dean's Fangirl

Invisible Lunatic

23,025 Points
  • NPCon Fanatic 500
  • NPCon Attendee 100
I'd love to see the rare events updated. One thing I'd love (but would never see) is maybe adding some of the CIs that are used in alchemy.

Writer

dreamsk
Serenicus
dreamsk
Serenicus
dreamsk

They have a looot of items to choose from. emotion_drool I would kind of like if they took out the old items (except furniture/angelic/demonic items) and replaced them with decent items.

I think some of the old items are pretty good. Just, not a huge number of them.

The Angelic Scarf has always been my favorite, but in the old system it was the cheapest of the '03s. Now, it's more expensive than some of the others. And I think it's good enough to create avatars with even now. Some other ones I can think of that people like are the KiKi Kitty plushie and some of the earliest EIs: Hermes Moon, Nano-C, etc.

Compared to some of the stuff now, they aren't as detailed, but I don't think they're really irrelevant or wholly inferior.

I do agree some of the older items are just terrible. The original AFK and Emo Bag had a lot of us wondering if there was any way to make a good avatar with them. I am sure some people found a way. I wasn't one of them, lol.

High-functioning Detective

10,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Timid 100
Gaia doesn't care about us.
They take forever to update things.
And when they finally do - they are too late and they are out the date again.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff