• Bookworm 100
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Master Librarian 500
x-Garethp-x
RevvRaptor
x-Garethp-x
RevvRaptor
x-Garethp-x

It's not disaster statements at all. That's just standard cover-your-a** TOS things that you'll find anywhere. I'd wager you'd find them in the TOS for WoW, LoL, DotA and many more. Hell, I bet you'd find them in the TOS for Steam

The thing is, that part was added-in after the current management team took over. They recognized early enough that the amount of flak they'd catch for their actions would be on an enormous scale, so sliding that in became a dire necessity.

Doubtful. Any decent new management would have a proper lawyer look over the TOS, ask them if there were any possible liabilities. Any decent lawyer would just go "Well, you probably want to put xyz in just in case".

It's less about recognizing the amount of flak, and more about not being negligent with your TOS

Not necessarily, this is Gaia we're talking about after all, it's easy to tell the current management team is more oriented towards the cover-rears-from-flak mentality with no proper fore/insight applied elsewhere.

And Blizzard doesn't have the type of overt shutdown-of-services clause that Gaia has implemented, they don't threaten to shut down overall services without notice, only to shut down service if their ToS is breached.

Quote:
Your continued use of the Game following any revision to this Agreement constitutes your complete and irrevocable acceptance of any and all such changes. Blizzard may change, modify, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the Game at any time. Blizzard may also impose limits on certain features or restrict your access to parts or all of the Game without notice or liability.

Quote:
You acknowledge and agree that you are not entitled to any refund for any amounts which were pre-paid prior to any termination of this Agreement. Blizzard may terminate this Agreement (and your access to the Game) with or without notice for any reason, or for no reason.

Quote:
BLIZZARD DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE GAME OR THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE GAME OR THE SERVICE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. BLIZZARD EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.

And these are just a couple of small things from their TOS. Other gems include their allowance to scan your RAM and CPU and make a list of all programs running on your PC. As well as allowing them to monitor any voice chat programs you have. Blizzards TOS actually covers much much more a** than Gaias. And their clauses do cover them if they shut down their service all together.

Like I said, it's standard TOS stuff

I love how no one acknowledged your amazing statements or your own research. You sir deserve a cookie! This was freakin' brilliant and I know I've been a little iffy on the whole Blizzard ToS myself but still use it just like I still use Gaia
xReilinax
x-Garethp-x
RevvRaptor
x-Garethp-x
RevvRaptor

The thing is, that part was added-in after the current management team took over. They recognized early enough that the amount of flak they'd catch for their actions would be on an enormous scale, so sliding that in became a dire necessity.

Doubtful. Any decent new management would have a proper lawyer look over the TOS, ask them if there were any possible liabilities. Any decent lawyer would just go "Well, you probably want to put xyz in just in case".

It's less about recognizing the amount of flak, and more about not being negligent with your TOS

Not necessarily, this is Gaia we're talking about after all, it's easy to tell the current management team is more oriented towards the cover-rears-from-flak mentality with no proper fore/insight applied elsewhere.

And Blizzard doesn't have the type of overt shutdown-of-services clause that Gaia has implemented, they don't threaten to shut down overall services without notice, only to shut down service if their ToS is breached.

Quote:
Your continued use of the Game following any revision to this Agreement constitutes your complete and irrevocable acceptance of any and all such changes. Blizzard may change, modify, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the Game at any time. Blizzard may also impose limits on certain features or restrict your access to parts or all of the Game without notice or liability.

Quote:
You acknowledge and agree that you are not entitled to any refund for any amounts which were pre-paid prior to any termination of this Agreement. Blizzard may terminate this Agreement (and your access to the Game) with or without notice for any reason, or for no reason.

Quote:
BLIZZARD DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE GAME OR THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE GAME OR THE SERVICE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. BLIZZARD EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.

And these are just a couple of small things from their TOS. Other gems include their allowance to scan your RAM and CPU and make a list of all programs running on your PC. As well as allowing them to monitor any voice chat programs you have. Blizzards TOS actually covers much much more a** than Gaias. And their clauses do cover them if they shut down their service all together.

Like I said, it's standard TOS stuff

I love how no one acknowledged your amazing statements or your own research. You sir deserve a cookie! This was freakin' brilliant and I know I've been a little iffy on the whole Blizzard ToS myself but still use it just like I still use Gaia

Yeah, Blizzards TOS is a bit iffy, but it really is standard. It doesn't mean that they intend to take away your account for no reason, or that that they intend to install virus'. It's there for instances such as if their servers get hacked and hackers send out a small thing in an update that infects your machine, they won't get hit with a class lawsuit, or if they ban someone for a reason that's not 100% obvious, that they're not taken to court for every cent that user has ever spent.

Naturally they take security very seriously, and won't go around banning people for no reason, but companies that operate online with real cash, or even without, have a lot of ways people can try to sue them under the US legal system, and it's just ridiculous to expect them not to have a cover-the-a** thing in place

Self-sustaining Simp

Nicki Weston90
To be honest I will admit that when I saw the announcement that zOMG! was being taken down for maintenance even I had the gut feeling that it won't come back and I never ever got the chance to play the game ^^;;

Which is one part of the TOS I hate >< Why not tell us?
Don't Gaia Inc even realise that there are some people on this site that would love to say goodbye and make arrangements with Friends on here to meet on another site share Skype or something ><

Well, bear in mind that they're just reserving the right not to tell us, that doesn't mean they absolutely wouldn't tell us in that situation, they're just covering their backs for if they don't. My personal opinion is that they're aware that we love this site, have friends here, etc. and would give us warning.

I don't know if you're familiar with tentacl at all, but it's a site owned by the same company. It's closing down and they gave advanced warning of that and told users that they could contact the cs team and ask for (free) site currency to play around with between now and the site closure, which I feel is a nice gesture and reflects well on Gaia Interactive. I'd hope they'd do something similar here(not contact cs for freebies because this site is much larger and that's not really feasible, but give us some warning and possibly let us get our hands on previously unattainable items).

suqarbabey's Husband

Loiterer

When I made that thread revealing ToS changes months ago, the point wasn't the content added that talked of shutting down. The point of the thread was to ask Gaia why they chose to change ToS WITHOUT notifying the users of the change, when the previous ToS stated that we would be notified of ANY changes in the ToS. Yeah maybe they added that stuff to cover their greedy asses, but they went about it in a shady manner and that's what people should be paying attention to. HOW THEY ARE DOING THINGS IS WRONG.

Of course the thread was eventually deleted. No, not moved, not locked, deleted. I was fear mongering and my thread did not belong in the Site Feedback forum. If that was the case why not just move the thread? Why delete it? Silly. It's obvious and in everyones face but people still want to defend a very very corrupt cold business minded ******** running this place. Sorry, not sorry, you're all very silly for doing that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff