Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gariels's Wife

Original Cat

Inquisitive Cutie-Pie

I'm a 10 year veteran of Gaia and to be honest, it's lost its luster for me. I used to dedicate my after school hours to posting in the forums with my friends (some of whom I've remained in contact with even after all these years) and following event storylines closely. I remember several holidays where my mom would have to pry me away from the computer, too busy finding Easter eggs or trick-or-treating in the shops to realize she'd called me to dinner five times. I remember Gambino vs. the Von Helsons.

Gaia used to be fun. And though part of my disinterest could be attributed to getting older and more apathetic, a large chunk of it was because of the introduction of Gaia Cash and the subsequent fall of the Gaian economy. I came back from a hiatus earlier this year and was surprised when I got 50000 gold in the Daily Chance, thinking this was a huge deal. When I told one of my friends, she laughed. "Yeah, the economy got f*cked so 50k is chump change now," she said. "It's like Zimbabwean dollars, you'd have to bring a wheelbarrow to the store to buy a loaf of bread with Gaia gold." I've never bought GC and don't intend to since I've got more important things to spend my hard-earned money on. If something isn't done about this economic mess soon, Gaia's going to see more and more of their members jumping ship.

tl;dr sign me up for this cause, Gaia used to be fun but now it's just money-hungry.

Skilled Smoker

11,225 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Generous 100
i have been here since 08 and i would like to see change. the MP price of stuff is ridiculous. i do not have money left in my budget for Gcash so i dont buy it. every "announcement" is about club verge or the gcash shops. maybe once in a while there might be something that is not gcash related... now its so hard for me to not seem like im stuck in "newb" cause my avis are not that expensive. i even sold half of the items i have to get what i do wear on here. i do believe that gaia is using the money for something other then on here. i mean there sister site you have to pay for the diamonds... so. sign me up.

Pro Pirate

30,225 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Rat Conqueror 500
I've been on this site since '06. I remember being ecstatic when I finally earned 10k and was able to buy a Water Meat plushie in MP...I must've fished for hours. I had an abundance of friends to hang out with in Towns and Rally. I remember V. Hollywood coming out and everyone was so excited! I remember all the newbies in their starter clothes asking for donations and being so happy when I gave them anything over 1k. I remember when I made my first million gold...all the weeks of saving and when I finally made it I yelled something so ridiculous I can't even believe it..."NOW I CAN BUY THIS WHOLE SITE IF I WANTED TO!!"

Now, because of the inflation and how you can't do half the "events" on this site without using GC...all my friends are gone. The only PM's I get now are MP notifications and the occasional thank you from people I donate to, but even that doesn't happen anymore because all I have is 4bil. Can you believe that? A few years ago 4bil would seem like all the gold in the world, and now it's nothing.

I've never purchased GC, and I never will. Because of that, I'll be like one of the poor passengers of Titanic, trapped in the lower quarters, waiting for the ship to go down.

Versatile Gaian

Been on since 08.
I might've done this before or something, posted in this thread, but whatev.

I've met my long-time penpal (Even though we can communicate instantaneously thanks to technology) and have had meaningful discussions.

Unbeatable Trader

8,100 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
is alright if i get a sig?
I feel this way and that the site has become something terrible and the site feels dead now
i have an idea, since most of the ridiculous overpricing is done in the market place, why dont we gather a bunvh of rich gaians, and start buying all the expensive stuff and put them all back on sale for an insanely low price! then people who usually cant afford these items have a chance at them without buying GC, and people who over price in the billions have to other choice but to comply with the current low price if not they wont sell! feedback anyone?

Ursine Warlord

12,350 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Marathon 300
  • 50 Wins 150
EdCosmic
i have an idea, since most of the ridiculous overpricing is done in the market place, why dont we gather a bunvh of rich gaians, and start buying all the expensive stuff and put them all back on sale for an insanely low price! then people who usually cant afford these items have a chance at them without buying GC, and people who over price in the billions have to other choice but to comply with the current low price if not they wont sell! feedback anyone?

Problem.

The 'overpricers' buy the cheap product and then resell them at the still-inflated price.
Ardent One
EdCosmic

Problem.

The 'overpricers' buy the cheap product and then resell them at the still-inflated price.
well tyats the point, let them sell it high! that way they wont sell due to the overwhelming of low prices for the same item, nobody is going to want to buy from them thus making them lower the price just to sell

Ursine Warlord

12,350 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Marathon 300
  • 50 Wins 150
EdCosmic
Ardent One
EdCosmic

Problem.

well tyats the point, let them sell it high! that way they wont sell due to the overwhelming of low prices for the same item, nobody is going to want to buy from them thus making them lower the price just to sell

No, you're missing the point.

Say there are ten apples on the market, each costing 100 gold.
Consider three parties here:
The tycoon: Makes money on MP. Sells high to make money.
The Gates: Already rich. Willing to help fix inflation.
The Peasant: People who can't afford the expensive items.

Say the Gates undercut the tycoon by dropping their apples to 20.

In THEORY: This would make the tycoons also drop the price of their apples to 20 gold to stay competitive.

In PRACTICE: The Tycoons now buy all the apples that were dropped to 20 gold, while still selling Apples at 100 gold. They now control a greater market share and will make more money.

Now you might say "well, surely, the Tycoons couldn't buy ALL the apples."

Well, they can. Because if there were that many apples on the market, the price would never have gotten that high to begin with.

In a relationship with Bates

Bloodthirsty Sleuth

Due to various personal reasons I don't want to go into, this isn't my first account with Gaia. My original account was made in '07 and I have been on and off this site for seven years now.

Gaia needs to stop. I honestly cannot believe how greedy and pathetic gaia has gotten with gaia cash. The only new items that are being released seem to be exclusively for GC only, and it's a constant stream of LIMITED EDITION ITEMS, BUY NOW. Every single day there seems to be more new items that can only be bought with $5+ amounts of real world money, and they seldom give people good items they can earn with gold since it's all about the GC. I can't even turn off the announcements that are constantly spamming me with 10+ posts about some GC item crap. Not to mention that the promoting forum threads feature costs real money too, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Most of gaia's user base doesn't have this money to spend, especially not when there are things that cost $70. What the actual hell is wrong with you, gaia? Your site is directed primarily towards younger teens who can't even legally work let alone afford that much dish out the money every other day to get some pixels they like unless they ask their parents. It's come down to the point where gaia is nabbing money from the parents and using the kids as their proxy, and it's disgusting.

The site used to be fun. It used to have a story line that kept users engaged with the NPCs and lore of gaia, and now I don't even know half these characters who are trying to sell me stuff. Gaia used to make me feel good about donating because I actually felt like my $5 was going towards helping a site I liked and that they appreciated my donation, but now they shove the ads down my throat and punish me for not giving them money by holding back basically every single item they come out with now.

Invisible Noob

16,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100

I have not been on Gaia since the very beginning, but I've been a loyal member since '07 and I can say I am not pleased with the direction Gaia has gone. I remember when Gaia Cash wasn't even a component on Gaia and now it seems to be the only thing they care about. I hate to admit it, but I'm one of those Gaia Cash users, but with the insane inflation and copious amounts of limited quality cash items, I see no other option.

I honestly have no idea how I could even begin to afford some of the items Gaia has to offer now without the exclusive help of Gaia Cash. Moreover, I don't understand how anyone who doesn't use Gaia Cash can even function on the site, or more appropriately, why they're even on it. Gaia has unfortunately adopted the "pay to play" notion and sadly, I indulge them. But not anymore; I've given them more than enough.
Ardent One
EdCosmic
Ardent One
EdCosmic

Problem.

No, you're missing the point.

Say there are ten apples on the market, each costing 100 gold.
Consider three parties here:
The tycoon: Makes money on MP. Sells high to make money.
The Gates: Already rich. Willing to help fix inflation.
The Peasant: People who can't afford the expensive items.

Say the Gates undercut the tycoon by dropping their apples to 20.

In THEORY: This would make the tycoons also drop the price of their apples to 20 gold to stay competitive.

In PRACTICE: The Tycoons now buy all the apples that were dropped to 20 gold, while still selling Apples at 100 gold. They now control a greater market share and will make more money.

Now you might say "well, surely, the Tycoons couldn't buy ALL the apples."

Well, they can. Because if there were that many apples on the market, the price would never have gotten that high to begin with.

Yeah, makes sense, hmmm back to the thinking chair!

Cluttered Businesswoman

Sign.~

I keep dreaming up ideas to gold sink and fix the economy. Most, if not all, are very flawed, but still..

I really wish for the economy to return to its former glory.

100k = rich people item, 1mil = rich man's dream. emotion_kirakira
Those were my favorite years.. mainly because it didn't make 2000yen irl seem like scrap. lel

My most recent dream: clothing items and hats (like the poses on many gc items), be recolored/rereleased
and sent to be sold on the gold shops. Gold shop poofs your gold out of the flow.
This could be turn into some sort of event.. aside from bumping up gold shop prices, releasing
cute clothes should be a thing.. ahhh the new gold shop clothes are the cutest! But I'd like to
see them get more items / redesigned old... sinks my gold, at least sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces