Welcome to Gaia! ::

KanauCin
So, I'm posting to disagree with this thread. Let me clear a few things before I get into it. I'm in no way affiliated with Gaia staff, am being paid by them, or have any interest if GC stays or not. With that out of the way, let me make a few points.

A website costs money to run. You need to pay the domain holder for the .com, you need to pay for utilities if you run the server, or pay for the server access so they can pay their utilities.

Employees at Gaia need to be paid. From people who respond to tickets, to marketing, artists, website designers, etc. Assuming they receive fair wage for these positions, entry level cost for each person should be about 40k/year.

Just like any other company, they want to make more than what they're spending. Why? Because that money gets used to grow the site with research and development to help the site grow and the company keep solvent.

Do you need to spend GC to use the site? No. It's free to use. People who do use it are not gaining any more access to the site then you are by not spending money. They only get digital media that, in the end, isn't worth anything more than having aesthetic changes to your character.

Does this make gold worth less than normal? Yes, and this part could and maybe should be fixed. How? Inserting items worth gold only may drive the economy up. Also, inserting deals that make people want to spend more GC also make gold go up. How? Someone spends GC to buy an item. They turn around and sell that item for gold. Now that they have that gold, there is less gold on the market, which makes the value of gold go up, as there is less of it to have. They later get bored of the item, it has gone down in value because more of them have been bought, so they sell it at less than what they bought it for. More gold is lost because of that, which increases the value of gold since now there is less of it. Mind you I'm no expert on economics, but this is generally why GC can be a good thing for gold.

Do you like using the site? Does it provide something to you? If not, then why are you here? If you think the site is in danger, the answer is to support the site. Which means donating, or spending money to see that the site has a future. If you don't think the site has a future because they're running campaigns to try and stabilize the economy... I'm not sure what to tell you other than the points I've made already.

In the end, the more people who do spend GC, the more this site grows and will become better. Does Gaia or any business running with them have to promise that they'll use any money you spend to grow this site..? No. That's when you have to ask: Is what I'm spending money on worth it for me..? If not, don't spend money and either use the site normally, or find a different hobby. In life, if someone gives you something, you give them something in return. Gaia is giving you a place to post and be free to chat. They're not asking for anything in return. They only ask that if you like this, support them with GC.

The sad thing is, I use to agree with that sentiment completely. Look, no one is going to deny, Gaia is a business, and as a business they need to make money in order to the site to continue on as it has. A lot of us in this thread had supported Gaia at one point or another, because we understood to have this site continue to grow, it needs money to run. Anyone growing up with Gaia for the past decade or so understands this.

The problem isn't the GC, it is how the GC system is currently being used. For a lot of us who haven't left the site, despite our complaints, haven't left because we've been here for years and we truly love the site. This is where our friendships came from, and as oldies, frankly most of us who have been here for longer than five years and spent at least a bit of real money on this site is well off enough that we could pay the MP if we wanted to.

However, it doesn't remove the fact that Gaia's business practices, their push towards marketing, the increase in the need for GC and the constant inflation which makes it impossible not to buy something to get ahead isn't good for getting new users. Yes, they need us to support them, but they also need new users to support them as well. Especially as older users leave the site due to life rather than Gaia.

I completely understand that Gaia is a business, and if I like it I should support it, but you know what. I'm here because I've been here for a long time, I no longer trust or like Gaia enough to support the site. The business practices of the last few weeks have been incredibly questionable (the so called discounts on certain gold gens), and the fact that there are a lot of gold gens has less than impressed me.

The amount of ads in the announcements is just ridiculous, and while site does need money to survive. The fact there is more "stuff" in the cash shop than there has been in probably all the years that shop has existed is telling and worrisome. There has also been a larger focus on that, than any site wide event that doesn't include gold donations.

The list for me of things Gaia no longer cares about is very long, but you know it could be the changing times. Either way, there is something to be said about not spending GC, because it is the only way to tell Gaia you're displeased, money talks.

Fused Lunatic

i leave the site for 15 minutes and i get 10 announcements on the latest GC sale or gold gen.

pls
halp me

Blessed Muse

Add me to the list.

I've been on this site... seven years? (I know, my account is new, I had another account and decided it was time for a fresh start.) And it worked fine back then.

Employees were obviously getting paid (they continued to work), the site was fun and sociable. I made friends - lifelong, important friends.

Sure, there were hiccups here and there, but that was to be expected - nothing is perfect.

Slowly, I saw focus shift onto Cash. It didn't faze me, because the majority of stuff was still free. I understood that the site was getting bigger, needed better funding, that was all fine.

Then I took a couple of years out.

My return... God the site had changed. EVERYTHING had changed. I was a bit shell-shocked and took some more time out.

By the time I returned properly and made my new account, I was in despair. EVERY SINGLE ANNOUNCEMENT was about Cash or Cash Shop Items.

No more Gold Shop updates, no more daft events just because.

Flynn's Booty, Jet and Cygnus and CASH, CASH, CASH. That's all it was, that's all it's become.
I understand them wanting to make a profit, but I can't help but wonder where that profit is GOING.

They were obviously making a profit (or at the very least breaking even) BEFORE, when I was new and in the first few years of me being there, because otherwise they wouldn't have kept going.

I remember the days when an announcement was an exciting thing - we got a few per week tops. Now I can't even write out a post without being BOMBARDED with them. I wish I could filter them or turn them off.

I'm sick of seeing Admin, Flynn and Joke & Corrupt. I'm sick of the constant "reminders" to buy cash. I'm sick of what this site has become.

I remember when 1mil was practically unobtainable - just by clearing out my inventory (not even all of it), I have over 730,000,000 gold.

What the ********, Gaia?
WHAT IN THE ACTUAL ********]

Devoted Wife

21,700 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Married 100
Kara Winters
KanauCin
So, I'm posting to disagree with this thread. Let me clear a few things before I get into it. I'm in no way affiliated with Gaia staff, am being paid by them, or have any interest if GC stays or not. With that out of the way, let me make a few points.

A website costs money to run. You need to pay the domain holder for the .com, you need to pay for utilities if you run the server, or pay for the server access so they can pay their utilities.

Employees at Gaia need to be paid. From people who respond to tickets, to marketing, artists, website designers, etc. Assuming they receive fair wage for these positions, entry level cost for each person should be about 40k/year.

Just like any other company, they want to make more than what they're spending. Why? Because that money gets used to grow the site with research and development to help the site grow and the company keep solvent.

Do you need to spend GC to use the site? No. It's free to use. People who do use it are not gaining any more access to the site then you are by not spending money. They only get digital media that, in the end, isn't worth anything more than having aesthetic changes to your character.

Does this make gold worth less than normal? Yes, and this part could and maybe should be fixed. How? Inserting items worth gold only may drive the economy up. Also, inserting deals that make people want to spend more GC also make gold go up. How? Someone spends GC to buy an item. They turn around and sell that item for gold. Now that they have that gold, there is less gold on the market, which makes the value of gold go up, as there is less of it to have. They later get bored of the item, it has gone down in value because more of them have been bought, so they sell it at less than what they bought it for. More gold is lost because of that, which increases the value of gold since now there is less of it. Mind you I'm no expert on economics, but this is generally why GC can be a good thing for gold.

Do you like using the site? Does it provide something to you? If not, then why are you here? If you think the site is in danger, the answer is to support the site. Which means donating, or spending money to see that the site has a future. If you don't think the site has a future because they're running campaigns to try and stabilize the economy... I'm not sure what to tell you other than the points I've made already.

In the end, the more people who do spend GC, the more this site grows and will become better. Does Gaia or any business running with them have to promise that they'll use any money you spend to grow this site..? No. That's when you have to ask: Is what I'm spending money on worth it for me..? If not, don't spend money and either use the site normally, or find a different hobby. In life, if someone gives you something, you give them something in return. Gaia is giving you a place to post and be free to chat. They're not asking for anything in return. They only ask that if you like this, support them with GC.

The sad thing is, I use to agree with that sentiment completely. Look, no one is going to deny, Gaia is a business, and as a business they need to make money in order to the site to continue on as it has. A lot of us in this thread had supported Gaia at one point or another, because we understood to have this site continue to grow, it needs money to run. Anyone growing up with Gaia for the past decade or so understands this.

The problem isn't the GC, it is how the GC system is currently being used. For a lot of us who haven't left the site, despite our complaints, haven't left because we've been here for years and we truly love the site. This is where our friendships came from, and as oldies, frankly most of us who have been here for longer than five years and spent at least a bit of real money on this site is well off enough that we could pay the MP if we wanted to.

However, it doesn't remove the fact that Gaia's business practices, their push towards marketing, the increase in the need for GC and the constant inflation which makes it impossible not to buy something to get ahead isn't good for getting new users. Yes, they need us to support them, but they also need new users to support them as well. Especially as older users leave the site due to life rather than Gaia.

I completely understand that Gaia is a business, and if I like it I should support it, but you know what. I'm here because I've been here for a long time, I no longer trust or like Gaia enough to support the site. The business practices of the last few weeks have been incredibly questionable (the so called discounts on certain gold gens), and the fact that there are a lot of gold gens has less than impressed me.

The amount of ads in the announcements is just ridiculous, and while site does need money to survive. The fact there is more "stuff" in the cash shop than there has been in probably all the years that shop has existed is telling and worrisome. There has also been a larger focus on that, than any site wide event that doesn't include gold donations.

The list for me of things Gaia no longer cares about is very long, but you know it could be the changing times. Either way, there is something to be said about not spending GC, because it is the only way to tell Gaia you're displeased, money talks.

▌▌

Your facts... your facts are so wrong... and backwards.... my head just spun trying to even understand that... How on earth does what you were saying about gold growth actually work out in your mind... last I checked, everything you just said, is what is driving the gold DOWN. not up. Down. more gold in circulation means gold value DROPS, not rises. that logic... it's backwards...
If you want to disagree with this idea, that's fine, freedom of opinion. I don't even care to argue, my only complaint in reading this was how inaccurate your thought process was on how the economy works... I mean, it wasn't just a small miss understanding... you really... believe... that more gold in circulation means it's value RISES? really? no no no no no nonooooooooooo. that's so not how it works.
Anyway. that was my only comment to this post...
I still fully 100% stand with Occupy Gaia. <3

▌--- ▌

iYennPool's Compadre

Timid Noob

Devoted Wife

21,700 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Married 100
Magically Clueless
Sweet Angel Mary

actually 5 or 6 times your worth and that's with any 03 or wings. So yes inflation of items is scary.

that's BAD.

i honestly don't know why ANY business owner would see this as a good idea.

▌▌

Because they want to crash the site into the ground... >.> thats the solid feel I have now about it. =<

▌--- ▌

Rich Wife

I sign.

This is just ridiculous.
S u r f For L o v e
Kara Winters
KanauCin

▌▌

Your facts... your facts are so wrong... and backwards.... my head just spun trying to even understand that... How on earth does what you were saying about gold growth actually work out in your mind... last I checked, everything you just said, is what is driving the gold DOWN. not up. Down. more gold in circulation means gold value DROPS, not rises. that logic... it's backwards...
If you want to disagree with this idea, that's fine, freedom of opinion. I don't even care to argue, my only complaint in reading this was how inaccurate your thought process was on how the economy works... I mean, it wasn't just a small miss understanding... you really... believe... that more gold in circulation means it's value RISES? really? no no no no no nonooooooooooo. that's so not how it works.
Anyway. that was my only comment to this post...
I still fully 100% stand with Occupy Gaia. <3

▌--- ▌

You're quoting KanauCin when you say that right? I didn't mention anything about the rising gold or even agreeing with him. sweatdrop

Romantic Werewolf

11,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Fluff Rehab 200
hi just popping in to say hi
I would sign, but the owner left gaia over a year ago.

Lonely Lover

just got this pm:

Quote:

Dearest Verge member,

We hope you've enjoyed the exclusive Verge experience for the past year. We'd love to keep you on the right side of the velvet rope, so here's a quick reminder that your membership might expire next month.

Club Verge is open to all Gaians who spend 9999 Gaia Gold within a 12-month period. To qualify for another year of fabulous Verge benefits, you'd need to spend an additional {number} Gaia Gold within the next thirty days.

However if you are subscribed to Autocash on Plans 24.99 or 49.99 there is nothing to worry about, since you will stay a member of Club Verge as long as you are subscribed to autocash.

Whether or not you decide to renew your Verge membership, we'd like to thank you again for your amazing support! It's been an honor having you in the club.

mind you, i didn't edit out the number, that's what it says, number. lol

i haven't used cash since december when i couldn't find cash cards anywhere. then things started going to s**t. i don't miss it either.

Meimiko's Significant Otter

Unleashed Pawn

Sign me on, I have spent too much cash on this site and for what?
"Gold item one: Earn up to 20bil!" - a month later: "Gold item fifty: Earn 1 trillion!!!"

It's reflecting in the MP.
I have gotten infected too by it since I have to sell for a high price to afford the things I want too.
It's a vicious cycle...

I'm saying No to buyin gaia cash from now on.

Weiss Hawk's Wife

Kindly Bard

15,175 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
  • Super Jumper 500
User ImageTired as hell from this site, it used to be fun. It used to be frustrating(in a good way) to earn gold. Now... I'm just really bloody bored and annoyed. I feel sorry for the poor buggers that have joined up in the last few months or are joining up now. Well almost thanks to the (add friends for shed loads of cash!) crap they advertise now.

Oh yes, the advertisements/announcements... Holy ******** you money grabbing sponges...

It's so ******** stupid on this site now.

6,900 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100

Feral Phantom

12,375 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Generous 100
I am a college student. I barely have the money to eat and getting DAILY SPAM with 20+ notifications for the "NEW CASH SHOP ITEMS!" Is kind of annoying. The fact of the matter is that I feel they're releasing FAR too many cash-based options into the Gaia Market, and not enough of the shop-based gold options, leaving the market to inflate ridiculously. Seriously, the fact that I've started to say I ONLY have two billion gold in my savings....Does anyone else find this absolute idiocy? Not to mention the fact that I miss being able to browse the gold shops for items worth spending gold on.

I've been around on Gaia on different accounts since 2006. Gaia has always been a lovely community, where I've made amazing friends and experiences, and now? I'm hesitant to even step FOOT on the site, knowing that as soon as I do? Here comes the flood of messages about all these cool new items and gcash spending that I should be doing.

The market is going to hell in a hand basket. I have been in absolute shock over how the release of so many cash-based gold gens has managed to almost completely tank Gaia's economy over a matter of a year with next to no explanation. I feel like we're being played for suckers! It seems as though, with no explanation, Gaia is suddenly a mass merchandising company, and no longer about the sense of community it used to be.

We deserve an explanation.

The value of a single gold is tanking. EVEN 10K doesn't get you what it used to any more. I miss the days when I'd look at items for 100k and sigh wistfully. Now I look at items worth 3 trillion and hope one day I might be able to afford them. It's time for a change.

I, Wish of Tevarae, sign this petition.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces