Welcome to Gaia! ::

What are your thoughts on Flynn's Booty?

Love them. 0.022727272727273 2.3% [ 3 ]
Don't care. 0.090909090909091 9.1% [ 12 ]
Hate them. 0.88636363636364 88.6% [ 117 ]
Total Votes:[ 132 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

Paladin

MY WORDS ON THE DIRECTION GAIAONLINE HAS TAKEN

(For the sake of organization, I have chosen to include all updates here until further notice.
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST OR THE OP.)

-- words of wisdom from a doctor --

I'm not a really big fan of Dr. Phil, but he has said a couple of powerful things that just make too much sense to be ignored. In one of his pet sayings, he makes this point: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, and expecting different results.

Another of his favorites is: "How's that working for you?"

The point he makes is that as soon as you realize you are attempting to reach a certain goal but constantly fail, you need to take a step back, review your situation and how you got there, retire your current methods and try a different approach.

Change is inherently a good thing, even in the midst of uncertainties.

-- so, how *is* that working for you? --

I'm not trying to make accusations here, nor do I by any means believe or intend to imply that Gaia staff is "insane". That is not the point I am trying to make here. Rather, I am trying to appeal to their rationally-thinking, creative minds in the hopes of inspiring positive change in the community.

There have been quite a number of events which have caused reactions ranging anywhere from confusion and discomfort to outright rage. Gaia members are authentically, understandably, hurt. Gaia staff has made some decisions that were not beneficial to its users, and I hope they see and acknowledge this, but more importantly, I hope they have learned from their mistakes, or are in the process of learning from them. I do at least believe that they CAN learn and that everything is not a lost cause, as many members currently believe.

I would like to address some of these issues, one point at a time, borrowing quotes from various threads I've seen in forums, guilds, and the community at large, followed by some of my personal insight to these issues.

-- why should my voice be heard? --

Why is anything that I have to say important, especially with thousands of other voices clamoring to be heard at the same time, on the same topic, and often with the same opinion as my own?

I believe it is right to stand up and speak up for what you believe in. I believe the correct way to do this is with a professional, non-combative, open-minded, creative problem-solving attitude. I believe it is not the number of voices that matter-- it's the amount of heart and conviction behind those voices. I simply wish to take my turn to voice my concerns, to be heard, for my opinion to be reguarded as equal to all others involved in this matter, and in so doing to encourage other members to do the same.

I love Gaia for what it has been in the past and for what it has the potential to be. But a large part of that image is beginning to crumble, not just for myself but for thousands of other users. I would like to see some changes made to improve the site without causing discomfort and anger in the community and without insulting the intelligence of the users.

-- "I believe it is not the number of voices that matter-- it's the amount of heart and conviction behind those voices." --

Some of the quotes used below are abbreviated, appended, or rearranged for the purpose of addressing certain topics in a particular order. None of the words have been edited in any way except to be excluded for expedience, and rearrangement is not an attempt at changing the essense of the original speaker's intent.

-- my words on "Big Wheels Keep on Turnin' the Community Keeps on Burnin' " posted by frozen_water --

frozen_water

I am not a cash cow, and I will not allow myself to be treated as one. I work hard for every dollar I make, and when I chose to spend my money here it was because I love this site and wanted to give something back to not only increase my enjoyment to help ensure it stayed around for years to come.

However, during the month of September you made not one, but several mistakes that in my opinion are very serious as they demonstrate a lack of consideration for your users and the community that's developed here over the years, and now with October just beginning we already seem to be off to a shaky start.

September's Hot Topics: During This Month Gaia...

Re-Released Flynn's Booty only a month after the last sale.
Inflation is still rampant after the last release, and as many times as I've heard staff ... telling us that the inflation is temporary, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the economy has not had enough time to recover.

Released Flynn's Chest (An Even Larger Gold Generator) at the Same Time
Apparently this one is "twice as nice" as it is guaranteed to make you a millionaire, and has the chance to contain up to 250 million gold!

Released even more Halos
To help promote their new game Gaia released 6 more halos, the most coveted item on the site.

Also...

frozen_water

10/04: Re-Release of Flynn's Booty for the 3rd time in less than two months

My words:
These actions confuse me, especially considering that some of these happened in the middle of a gold sink-- something which is designed to take gold OUT of the economy in order to help stabalize it. Flynn's Booty has obviously and undeniably created a surge in Marketplace prices. Gold sinks have accomplished nothing (or if they have, I shudder to imagine how the MP would look without them). The constant, repeated deliberate release of FB and FC-- after staff verbally agreeing with the Gaia community that the Gaia economy needs a gold sink-- shows either a lack of comprehension of the needs of its users or a blatant disregard for them. In other words, it's either "We don't know" or "We don't care." To not know is to not pay attention to what is going on, to lack direction, purpose, and organization. To not care is heartless and demeaning.

Both are damaging to your cause.

I find little consolation in the words "inflation is temporary" because the result of the inflation is to almost completely prohibit a large percentage of users from being able to participate in the Marketplace. It is causing an ever-growing strain on the community with no sign of relief in the near future. Additionally, I would like for it to be clarified why it will only be temporary, how "temporary" it is expected to be, and what the positive results from this will (ideally) be.

Among other downsides I see to this is the fact that the above actions could potentially encourage users to scam/ bot/ cheat for gold in desperation to finally be able to afford expensive quest items. I can easily see users rationalizing such actions this way:

"Yeah, it's cheating, but Gaia has been cheating us, so turnabout's fair play. Besides, I've been working endlessly on this quest, and at this rate I will NEVER be able to afford this thing! It was bad enough when I was only two or three thousand gold behind when the prices went up again, but I just saw it jump up by three hundred thousand in only one night. How could I possibly afford it any other way? Besides, if I just do this now and get it over with, at least I can catch it before the price skyrockets again-- like, by a million. At least that way, I won't be botting *quite* as much as I could be if I wait another couple of days..."

frozen_water

Released a HIGHLY Offensive Survey
Gaia released a survey that was unprofessional and body-shaming. After scrolling through several uncredited images of cat woman, users were then treated to a series of images that had real life people shown in swimsuits partnered with insulting titles such as "whale" and "Fat as Fatass".

Re-Released Essentially the Same Survey
Yup that's right. Forget Gaia acting on it's apology and proving to users that it actually does care, and it was an honest mistake. They decided to go the opposite route and release the exact same survey, just with the offensive titles (but not even the watermark on the offensive image) cropped out.

I certainly hope this needs no further clarification. There simply is no justification for this action. What's done is done, and I hope this does not continue and that we never, ever have to see something so atrocious and deliberately insulting happen again.

frozen_water

Introduced Pop Up Adds
Everyone's favorite! Oh wait, no it's not. Gaia has now resorted to outright spamming their users with pop up adds. Apparently disabling adds (due to donor status) will not prevent these from appearing either.

Introduced Flash Space Ads
To the dismay of many users Gaia introduced new ads to the flash spaces. This has caused issues for several users who have had the ads adversely affect how flash spaces run on their computer and their experience in general.

My words:
This is the definition of counter-productive. This does not encourage sales, it chases users away. Also, while the ads are causing pages to crash, it's not likely you will be rewarded for your efforts.

frozen_water

Introduced Centered Site
Despite asking the opinion of users and receiving negative feedback on the idea, Gaia decided to push the new change through anyway. Now users are stuck dealing with the bugs and new issues from a site change most did not want.

My words:
I understand that just because there was a majority vote in favor of one thing does not mean staff is required, either by law or regulations, to comply with the majority's wishes. (Also there have been some arguements of what counted as a "majority vote" and how the votes were tallied, etc.) But the fact is I think it is (at worst) bad form, especially considering the bugs involved and the fact that it was NOT MADE OPTIONAL. That last, I think, is the most important point in this. It used to be optional, and we're having trouble understanding why it no longer is.

frozen_water

Officially announced they were delaying the long awaited Guild Update (Again)
On Sept. 3 in a journal update from Narumi Mishuhara, we recieved the sad news that despite having planned the long overdue revamp to Guilds, they would be delayed because it was decided to focus on areas that generated more revenue.Link.
Quote:
Guilds
At the beginning of the year I had hoped to start production on it in Q3, which is around now, unfortunately because of the amount of time production would take (about 3 months) and because it needs to make back it's cost. I can't justify the project. Here is where I could use the communities help. If you have ideas on cool features that guilds could have that you would be willing to pay some gcash to use please post about them in SF, or send me a PM or reply to this journal. Remember these would need to be sustainable ideas so something like a kick-starter would not be an option. Otherwise, feel free to pass your ideas along!

My words:
Okay Narumi, I was sorta with you up until you said the words "GCash". The community at large cannot stress enough that we DO have a full understanding that this site is a business and as such requires funding, but you need to understand that in light of all that has been going on, the more you utter the words "GCash" the more it stings for us to hear, and the harder we will resist your ideas. This especially applies when we are not certain whether there will be feasible alternatives (or if they are definitely denied) for those of us who cannot afford GCash. (Read the previous point on site centering and the reaction to the lack of options.) There are other creative and effective ways to meet standards, and we are asking that you please consider some of those.

That said, I looked over some of the options posted in her journal and some of them look fairly decent. So long as spending GCash is made optional and not standard, and provided guild functions are reasonably affordable from BOTH sides (no $50 purchases or six-digit gold drops), and depending on how the updates are handled in general, I *might* be willing to support this. At the very least if it is decided that GCash options are feasible and staff decides to proceed with it, I would like to be assured that if it fails IT WILL BE COMPLETELY REVERSED, and not at the expense of guild owners and users. I'm not against experimentation so long as there is a fallback plan to restore things in a reasonable and organized way.

frozen_water

All the while they continued to shove sales down our throats

My words:
Again, this is a business, and a business needs money. But it's rude to get up into our faces constantly, and it makes us squirm away and resist answering your pleas.

frozen_water

October's Hot Topics:

10/01: Use of Staff Advertisement to Make GC Push
This one may seem nitpicky, but this is particular upsetting to me because we were told in AtA that they were looking at a way to separate out Cash Pushes from the Staff notices, and then shortly after we began receiving pop-up adds. It was believed the Pop-Ups were the new feature, but now we're left to wonder if they plan on continuing their cash pushes in the staff alerts despite telling us otherwise, or if there's another way of spamming users with GC offers in store for us.

My words:
It's upsetting to me, too. Pop-ups are not an acceptible alternative, but I don't believe cash pushes belong in staff updates. We need an organized and dedicated location to view bug alerts and fixes. This would be staff updates. We need an organized and dedicated location for GCash ads. This would be announcements. Flashing more and more ads into our faces in more and more locations is counter-productive. We don't like them. We ignore them. As long as you keep finding new ways to shove these ads into our faces, we will keep ignoring them. Ignoring is a heck of a lot easier to do than all the work you're going through to keep your ads in our line of vision. You're still spending money, time, and creativity designing all these ads and incorperating them into so many areas of the site. It takes no money, time, or creativity to ignore them (and eventually grow frustrated and abandon the site). You lose in this scenario.

Also, I'm confused about why there seems to be a question of how to "seperate out" the cash pushes from staff alerts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from where I'm standing it looks like the process of placing an ad in the staff alerts goes as follows:

- Dev logs into staff alerts.
- Dev posts comment including details of sale.

It would seem to me that the solution would be:

- Dev logs into staff alerts.
- Dev DOES NOT post comment with details of sale.

Am I missing something here? This isn't sarcasm-- I'm genuinely confused.

frozen_water

10/02: A Flash "Sale" Charging Double the Value
That's right folks, despite advertising the item like a deal, it's actually going for double what they initially released it for.

10/03: Release of Recolor of Rosamund for $30
The last recolor of Rosamunds was released in the REI Bundle #6 for $13 as a bonus. You heard correctly, for $13 you got 3 REIs (*compare also to the sale of Dark Heart for $10) and a recolor. Now they expect us to pay triple the price, for 1/4 the value (if that).

10/03: Began Running "Sales" for Runcible Spoon for $10
Another "sale" charging double the original cost. This one was advertised via the new pop-up ads.

My words:
Don't insult our intelligence and assume we wouldn't notice this. This is blatant dishonesty. It is also gouging. It is 100% deplorable and unethical. There is no justification for this. Do not ever be dishonest with your customers. You're digging your own grave here.

frozen_water

10/02: The Introduction of Concierge Services
For the outlandish price of $50 Gaia will help you "locate" the item you've been questing. ... FUN FACT: They peg the additional fee on based on the MP value, which is currently suffering from massive inflation due to Gaia's release and re-release of Flynn's Chest/Booty.

My words:
This is a cry of desperation, pure and simple. It is obvious that previous attempts at correcting cashflow through increased sales ("sales" ), pop-up ads, and other cash pushes are failing miserably. Once again, you're digging your own grave with this one.

-- my words on "This Upsets Me Greatly, Gaia" posted by Darkend Light --

Darkend Light

This. This right here.
This is the COO, correct? Granted, I do not know the proper context as I searched and found this image on flickr after seeing this picture in another thread. However, this image of a slide presentation likely being presented by someone who should be representing the community is, to me, very disturbing.

Yes, I know, Gaia is a business. So does a large part of the community. We understand Gaia needs money to survive and we'd be glad to give our money for the right reasons. Now here's the thing; I've worked for a corporation. I worked part time for a hotel chain for many years. I cannot begin to explain the emphasis the company put on customer service. Our guests were not just guests; we were trained to treat them more than that. I know hotels are not the same as online forums but this has taught me that the better you treat your customer base, the more likely they are to return.

Being compared to a rodent does not make me want to return.

In case you are unable to see the slideshow linked, allow me to give you a description of the starting image. It pictures Gaia's COO standing in front of a projection screen.

(Note: The link to the slideshow no longer works. Instead here is a screencap of the starting image.)

The screen reads as follows:

Quote:
Why does it work?
Dopamine, baby!

- Gamify the most mundane activity and you'll 100x the interest
(sugarcoat a bitter pill)

- Humans (and lab rats) can't resist seeking pleasure/ rewards
(Stimulate to the point of starvation???!!)

- Evolution has wired us to hoard and gather
(Collection Theory)

- Holy Grail of Gamification is Addiction

- Digital Nation generation are GAMERS

At the bottom-right of the screen is a photograph of two rats-- one is drinking from a bottle of alcohol, the other is smoking a cigarette. Additionally, there is at least one image taken directly from Gaia: that is a picture of a Flynn's Booty ad.

My words:
There. Is. No. Excuse.

This has to be THE single most insulting thing to come from Gaia's headquarters. (Which office was involved during presentation does not mean these practices are not involved with Gaia.) It is degrading and it reveals a very disgusting attitude toward its users. Comparing people to lab rats, especially using the image of rats drinking and smoking, and portraying US as helpless, mindless beings, with no individuality or moral compass-- it is beyond my capacity to describe exactly how atrocious this attitude is!

But there was something else that bothered me about this situation.

Uncle Kenny
This wasn't a presentation given to Gaia employees or the company. That's not even our office. ... I only know it wasn't something in Gaia.

Some people accepted this statement as reasonable evidence that this slideshow didn't have any direct connections with Gaia Online, and I'm sorry, but I DO NOT.

This response is a little insulting to me also, because it implies that the location and particular audience were the focus of our outrage.

It was not.

Where, when, and to whom the presentation was performed make absolutely no difference whatsoever. That is the COO of Gaia. He is effectively comparing us (yes, we Gaians are included in his presentation via his example of Flynn's Booty) to lab rats. The points made in his presentation have been and are currently being used against us. We are not stupid. We already know this. We knew this before we had the images to confirm it! And it is not funny.

But to be compared to mindless prey animals, as something beneath human just for the purpose of raising some money? Some of these practices are currently in place within Gaia HQ, and the fact that it goes on and has not been stopped is a signal that this demoralizing behavior is being supported by the rest of staff.

-- other disquieting issues --

my words on Flynn's Booty

I won't update every single time FB is released, but it seems worth mentioning just one more time.

As of this writing (10/24), Flynn's Booty has been released at least six times since its introduction in August, and in some instances merely days apart, which includes four releases in the month of October (which currenly has seven days left, so there's certainly room for one more release). More and more Gaians are getting upset with this, there are Gaians who have bought it in the past who regret their actions, and there have already been many threads with polls contesting the constant releases of Flynn's Booty. The argument that "some users ... do not like this item, but ... a lot of users ... do like this item" is NOT enough reason in their minds. In fact, the more time passes, the more users are convinced that Flynn's Booty is not a popular item at all.

The sales figures, as seen through the eyes of staff, may in fact be the only "selling point" (so to speak) of the continued release of the dreaded item.

my words on Halloween 2k13: Vengeance

Is this event inherently a bad idea? No. Personally, I find it a little trite, and it appears many others agree with me. And that's fine, I'm not protesting the event itself. In fact, for the most part, Gaia has done some good things with this event.

For those of you not participating and don't know what it's about, allow me to describe the key points in the event.

You have three options for participating in the events.

TRICK-OR-TREAT. Pretty standard on Gaia. You go from shop to shop, and as you visit each shopkeeper they will give you candy. After you have collected enough, you cash in the candy pieces for a Halloween-themed item. (At the time of this writing, some of what is equipped on my avatar comes from this event-- the vest, the rod, and the bow.)

SWITCHEM. This is a Flash-based game similar to Bejeweled or Candy Crush. Addictive to those who haven't worn themselves out on both of those titles (as myself). Pays out in gold and items as you win. Has a Gaia Cash option to tweak your odds of winning.

FORUM BATTLE. Here, you pick a team to side with-- either Jack or the Easter Bunny-- and you choose what battling class you wish to be. Choices are Knight, Rogue, Cleric, etc. with different stats in magic, luck, attack, and so forth. Loosely similar to Dungeons and Dragons or other role-playing games. After you have chosen your team and class, you initiate battle with other Gaians of the opposite team by clicking an icon to attack. When you run low on hit points, there are designated forums where you can be healed.

It is actually this event that has brought anger to the Gaians because recently a Gaia Cash function was added to it. To start with, Gaians are tired of seeing GCash options slapped onto every feature, but what makes this particularly hurtful is the fact that there is an option to GUARANTEE WINNING THROUGH MONEY.

Yep, that's right. For the low, low price of $250 you can buy the ability to have BOSS-LIKE powers for the duration of the Halloween event, and for $500 you can buy a shield to protect you from all attacks for the duration of the event. [Source.]

Pay money, win instantly, no participation necessary. Slap all other players in the face with your payed-for "special privileges" which elevates you above the scum of society.

-- this makes me feel angry --

I have to admit that right now, after spending all this time typing up this post and researching my references, my heart is racing and my blood pressure is up a few notches. It is impossible to deny the anger and the feeling of betrayal that rises while rereading my work (and at this time of writing, I am not yet finished). I am angry that I, and so many other users, are being so badly mistreated. I am angry with this feeling that our words may be falling on deaf ears. I am angry that money became a larger priority than people. I am angry that the changes made in this site are running it into the ground. And I am angry that I have, at current count, EIGHTEEN EXAMPLES in the span of five weeks of Gaia making one bad decision after another, and the fact that there are already just as many more examples to be found elsewhere.

-- what about the employees? --

And now to address a particular concern that's been floating around lately, and that is the question of whether anyone on Gaia's staff has spoken out against these practices.

As it turns out, there have been a few voices raised, at least in reviews on Glassdoor, where employees and former employees have reported their opinions about the workplace. Here are some things these employees had to say:

Quote:
Pros? I don't know if there are many nowadays. ... Prior to the shakeup, I met many of the most brilliant coworkers I'd ever had... and there was little to none of that "office politics" culture that occurs at many startups. It was friendly, respectful...

Cons – With new management this year, the vibe immediately became unpleasant. Exhibiting unabashed cronyism... Together, they've turned what was once a pleasant, enjoyable workplace into a humiliating grind... I don't believe any of the remaining employees (sans management) are under the impression that positive change is occurring...

Quote:
When I worked for Gaia, the main focus of the company was the community and all the components that made Gaia Online such a great place to hang out online. We were all in it together to build the best online community around! The users loved it and so did the employees. ... There have been so many changes at the company that they seem to have lost focus of Gaia Online.

Quote:
Cons – New management has no idea what they are doing nor has direction of the company. It's sad to see a company that had great potential find the wrong leaders that steer the ship into the ground.

Advice to Senior Management – Be accountable and learn to treat people with respect.

Quote:
Left because I no longer felt fulfilled or valued.

Advice to Senior Management – - If someone is asking for support, don't promise anything if you don't intend to follow through.

Quote:
- Morale is currently at an all-time low.
- We are losing valued coworkers weekly.

Quote:
“Definitely glad to have left.”

-- the results --

Do you see what is happening here? We members of the Gaia Online community are not the only ones hurt by this. Some of the workers have been enduring these hardships as well, and they have had to deal with it all directly. They have had to work in a fast-crumbling environment until they were laid off or walked out, and they surely had to deal with stress from not just management but from us users as well. Let's face it, a lot of angry Gaians have been ruthlessly attacking any and all members of staff with little regard to "who's who". And somewhere in their hearts, some of these employees-- even in the midst of these attacks and wishing to defend themselves-- may have felt like they carry at least some of the blame (whether or not their feelings are unfounded). They may be angry at being unfairly attacked, but at the same time, part of them empathizes with us, and they wish they could somehow initiate some change.

Well, they have allowed their voices to be heard, and they are an inspiration to the rest of us. They are a model of people who stand up for what is right and speak out for what they believe in. It's risky to take the spotlight, even under the guise of anonymity on another website, by speaking out the way they did. Some of them have felt that as long as they worked in Gaia's office it was impossible to speak out at the risk of adversity or even getting fired. But at the same time, they recognize that it's even more risky not to speak up: the consequences could devastate this website and these projects that they once loved and put so much of their time and their heart into.

-- my beliefs --

I am not interested in a war. I do not necessarily want to see any of Gaia's current staff replaced-- unless it is necessary or unavoidable.

I feel as though I owe the former employees of Gaia Online a simple debt of gratitude for doing the right thing by speaking up and letting my own voice be heard with them.

What has attracted me most to Gaia Online were all the friends I have been able to make. Due to these drastic, negative changes occuring on this site, people are leaving this site with no intention of returning.

My friends are my reason for being here on Gaia.

My friends are leaving.

I want to be where my friends are.

-- has Gaia done anything right?? --

Sure. Among their jewels are such things as updating the Flash game Smashblox, which now allows you to spend gold to play, rather than restricting you to spending Gaia Cash. Also, quite a bit of thought has gone toward coding the Halloween event to ensure it plays fluidly, removing bugs, etc. (It's still a work in progress, but it is making progress.)

The releases of recolored CS items have arrived with mixed feelings. Some Gaians do not like this as it is technically a re-release of items that were previously never intended to be re-released. Others prefer this over the re-release of original versions of CS items, and many Gaians are pleased with the new color options.

There is in fact an entire thread which points up some of the positive accomplishments Gaia has made recently, so you may wish to see it for yourself. They have indeed made Gaians happy with these works.

These things, at least, continue to bring hope to those who are frustrated with the direction Gaia has taken, and perhaps they can refresh your spirit as well.

~ GOOD NEWS! 2-9-14 ~

Check it out, everyone! Gaia has recently RE-HIRED some of their past artists! You can watch this event unfolding in Winter Hue's thread, Welcome Back! (The Grand Return of Several Artists) <3

-- what can *I* do to have my voice heard and inspire change in Gaia Online? --

ANSWER: There is plenty! Check out some of these options, try something out and see what suits you.

speak in a guild

Currently there is a guild called Revolution: Gaia which is dedicated to inspiring a peaceful revolution. The members there are very smart and creative, and they have been working tirelessly to speak up to allow their voices to be heard, and they gladly encourage YOU to do the same. There have been many creative ideas for Gaia members to do such as:

- Wearing certain items to show support of our cause
- Entering avatars into the arena, using items which voice our concern for the direction the site is taking
- Sending letters and email to Gaia staff

...and much more. The list is growing each day! Also included in the guild is a list of questions members ask at the AtA, along with the answers given. This is especially informative to look into!

speak in an event

If a guild isn't your thing, perhaps you would like to participate in this event, where once a week members refuse to post in forums-- or even to log in at all-- every Sunday, starting October 13.

speak through your signature

You can include a message in your signature, stating your frustration with Gaia and your request for change.

speak in the forums

Or, perhaps you want your own voice to be heard personally. As always, there are plenty of threads being created each day in the Site Feedback and Gaia Community Discussion where you can state your opinion, or you can create one of your own. Just remember that you must follow Gaia's Terms of Service when you post in or create a thread. We want our voices to be heard, but we want this to be done peacefully!

your opinion matters

If you are not sure what to say, perhaps you can include this phrase in your journal, signature, profile, or thread comments:

~
I am a proud member of Gaia and I support a peaceful revolution! I am not happy with the way things have changed on this site, but that does not mean I am ready to give up! Gaia Online-- my voice will be heard!
~

-- the voices of other users --

Below are links to some threads which hold information which I believe is relevant to this topic. They are the reactions of the users of Gaia, including opinions on site development, petitions for change, reflections on the words of developers, etc. They are not by any means the only threads on the topic, nor even the only ones with anything relevant to say. They are chosen based on the opening posters' ability to express their ideas and concerns in a peaceful, original, organized, creative, and well-written manner.

Some opinions included may be opposed to my side of the argument, some may even be misled about the intentions of site developers, but that does not make them any less important or valued. When visiting and posting in these threads, please remember to read and understand the opening posts thoroughly, and be considerate to everyone involved in their discussion.

Welcome Back! (The Grand Return of Several Artists) <3 by Winter Hue (Gaia Community Discussion; original post 2-8-14)
Don't Let It Ride, Make It Stop! by TS Sailor Cronus (Site Feedback; original post 1-29-14)
Big Wheels Keep on Turnin' the Community Keeps on Burnin' by frozen_water (Site Feedback; original post date 9-26-13)
This upsets me greatly, Gaia - now including an AtA response by Darkend Light (Site Feedback; original post date 10-6-13)
In Other Words... [Short OP] by The Aero Initiative (Site Feedback; removed)
This is Why I'm Bothered: A plea for discussion with staff. by Doom Lemons (Site Feedback; removed)
Say No To MP Prices and GC! - Do Not Buy! by Siera Serenity Star (Petitions; original post date 10-9-13)
Gaia, You Can Do It by sodium (Site Feedback; original post date 10-6-13)
Want The Execs to Notice ; Letterbomb approach (TY Siskatya) by mechromancy (Gaia Community Discussion; removed)
Perhaps a more hard truth by The Aero Initiative (Site Feedback; removed)
Users against depreciation? by Chibi Halo (Gaia Community Discussion; original post date 10-8-13)
A Question To The Staff About The CEO Censoring by fuzzybrick (Site Feedback; original post date 10-15-13)
Why Flynn will keep coming back, or economics is fun! by Starshine (Gaia Community Discussion; original post date 10-16-13)

FOR AN ADDITIONAL LIST OF LINKS WHERE YOU CAN READ THESE TOPICS AND OTHERS LIKE THEM, PLEASE VISIT THIS PAGE.

-- final note --

By the way, a quick note before this turns into a flame war of any kind: Be mindful of Gaia's ToS when responding. Threads addressing similar concerns have been shut down already, and I do not wish to see it happen here. This thread is in no way meant to be a source of personal attacks against Gaia staff. There is a difference between saying "I wish staff would not do this, it is wrong," and saying "So-and-so should be fired/ reported/ hurt" in any way. The central message I am trying to convey with this thread is that WE WANT STAFF TO LISTEN TO OUR CONCERNS AND GIVE THEM CAREFUL CONSIDERATION, TREATING ALL OF ITS USERS AS EQUAL, REGARDLESS OF OUR BACKGROUND, MONEY-SPENDING HABITS, OR EVEN OUR MOOD TOWARDS THEM. It is NOT against the terms of service to be angry at the actions of Gaia staff. It IS against terms of service to attack them, slander them, etc. so please remember this if you wish to post here.

Thank you for taking the time to read this extensive and daunting thread post, and for replying with your valued opinion. Whether or not you agree with my thoughts, I believe that what you have to say is important, and you have the right to say what is on your mind on this topic without having to suffer unfair critisism.

-- "I am a proud member of Gaia and I support a peaceful revolution! I am not happy with the way things have changed on this site, but that does not mean I am ready to give up! Gaia Online-- my voice will be heard!" --

Dapper Gekko

11,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Gonna throw out a comment about Flynn's Booty, as I feel parts of it have been misunderstood.
I do believe that the intent of Flynn's Booty has been to increase the volume of sales in the marketplace for the purpose of taking gold out of the economy via the tax.
That the inflation it has caused has only lead to more gold being taken out of the economy this way.

What it's problem is, is that it hasn't been taking out as much gold as it has been putting in, primarily because the increase in sales tops out at a certain point when inflation on items grows too much. I feel that Gaia may be repeatedly rereleasing Flynn's stuff in an attempt to strike while the metal is hot, to utilize these inflated marketplace values and the spending frenzy to take as much gold out of the economy as possible.

Whether or not this strategy is taking out nearly as much gold as it has put in, is up for debate. And it seems that someone did their math wrong here.

Dangerous Man-Lover

Xenrac
Gonna throw out a comment about Flynn's Booty, as I feel parts of it have been misunderstood.
I do believe that the intent of Flynn's Booty has been to increase the volume of sales in the marketplace for the purpose of taking gold out of the economy via the tax.
That the inflation it has caused has only lead to more gold being taken out of the economy this way.

What it's problem is, is that it hasn't been taking out as much gold as it has been putting in, primarily because the increase in sales tops out at a certain point when inflation on items grows too much. I feel that Gaia may be repeatedly rereleasing Flynn's stuff in an attempt to strike while the metal is hot, to utilize these inflated marketplace values and the spending frenzy to take as much gold out of the economy as possible.

Whether or not this strategy is taking out nearly as much gold as it has put in, is up for debate. And it seems that someone did their math wrong here.

Gaia is repeatedly releasing Flynn's Booty because it makes them rich. gaia_diamond

Paladin

Xenrac

I think they could have put a lot more thought into that. Taxes aren't going to balance out the influx from FB nearly enough to justify releasing it this way. I could have told them that myself. :/

Desirable Sex Symbol

12,400 Points
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Torii Attendant 100
  • Cool Cat 500
fuzzybrick
Xenrac

Gaia is repeatedly releasing Flynn's Booty because it makes them rich. gaia_diamond
its gonna ruin them in the long run,though, they'll go bankrupt, they should do it ,I love that booty, but less often due to the marketplace inflations

Paladin

Edited and added to the top post.

Beloved Vampire

11,200 Points
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Team Edward 100
looks like a lot of gaians are getting really heated up against gaia, a lot of my Gaia friends have left as well. If not for a few people I know i'd probably have left gaia a long time ago. Now it's getting to the point we can't even complete our dream avatars cause gaia is allowing people to charge 100 times the sellback value of an item.

Saint Gekko

User Image

I don't know if this is a credible source, but it doesn't look good. Look at the posting graph since the around release of Flynns booty.
Alexa traffic graph for Gaiaonline.

Paladin

I am a proud member of Gaia and I support a peaceful revolution! I am not happy with the way things have changed on this site, but that does not mean I am ready to give up! Gaia Online-- my voice will be heard!

Paladin

Having some editing issues... please forgive me and wait a few moments while I correct.
I still can't understand the idea that guilds/other features can't pay for themselves, so an update can't be justified. Um... they do. Maybe not directly, but good features make people want to stay around, and can attract new people who may be willing to spend money. Having a bunch of broken or unappealing features gives people less reason to stay and can't attract new people. So... that's people who spend money leaving, and people who might be willing to spend money not joining the site because the features aren't good.

Paladin

Okay, the OP has been updated, the format has been edited, and some broken links were fixed.

Thank you very much to everyone who has read and responded to this page.

Paladin

Added a section on the voices of other users on this matter.
I personally felt really hurt by the image of rats smoking and drinking...

A good way to make people upset, compare something they love to a drug.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff