Welcome to Gaia! ::

LobsterJohn
Morbid Gnome
LobsterJohn
I agree with everything said so far but this statemant especially. Helpers are so limited that they become almost pointless. I mean seriously, they are even limited in what forums they can move threads to! Also the reason why the picture post mods are on sparingly is 1: Becuase they are all in the aruound same time zones and 2: Becuase many of them have more important things then Gaia in their lives (which is entirely understandable). Just yesterday there has a huge spam thread in the picture post, and the only person on in ALL of the art forums was the art discussion helper, who of cource was entirely powerless. I mean really, that's just not acceptable.
We can move threads to any forum we want. But, we can only move threads from certain forums. If we aren't listed as a helper of a forum, we can't touch those threads.

Just because we can't handle TOS problems doesn't mean we're pointless. In my forum, Anime/Manga/Comics, the helpers do the majority of the cleaning.

I didn't mean to insult you, I'm very grateful for the work that you do. It's just that it seems you can't do as much as you should be able to. And also i'm sorry for my fallacy, it's just that leloi told me that the picture post mods could only move to the chatterbox or art discussion.

No they can move to any forum. Minishops, R&C, etc. the problem is they can't see reports and people (including myself) are much too lazy to PM them. Our helper, god bless her, but she's not in the PP very often she regs adifferent forum so we didn't exactly understand her appointment. We are still very grateful she;s there, but the spam threads haven't really reduced.

9,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100
LobsterJohn
I didn't mean to insult you, I'm very grateful for the work that you do. It's just that it seems you can't do as much as you should be able to. And also i'm sorry for my fallacy, it's just that leloi told me that the picture post mods could only move to the chatterbox or art discussion.
I'm a bit confused about what else you would want us to do. Part of the purpose of the helper system is for Forum Regulars to be able to move the lower-priority non-tos breaking threads so the moderators can concentrate on the worse stuff. The only problem with the system is that since helpers cant get to reports, the queue still gets backed up with thread move requests even after a helper has already moved the thread. @_@
CatsGame
LobsterJohn
I'm a bit confused about what else you would want us to do. Part of the purpose of the helper system is for Forum Regulars to be able to move the lower-priority non-tos breaking threads so the moderators can concentrate on the worse stuff. The only problem with the system is that since helpers cant get to reports, the queue still gets backed up with thread move requests even after a helper has already moved the thread. @_@

That's my only issue with the helper system, i don't know about john.
Well, perhaps slightly off-topic, part of what would solve a lot of the flame wars that break out would be to not give Picture Posters permission to make "this doesn't belong here" posts.

Quote:
If you see a misplaced thread, don't keep posting in it to say that it is misplaced. Repeated posting in a topic telling the creator that their thread is in the wrong place does absolutely nothing to get the thread moved. Therefore, it can be viewed as just another form of spam. If you see a newly made thread that shouldn't be in this forum, you can make a post to guide the person to the right place, but please make sure to report it also. If somebody else has already done this, move on.

If you see a post that violates the rules, don't jump on the person who made it. It is alright to let a user know that what they have posted is unacceptable and that they should delete it, along with reporting the post in question. However, if someone else has already done so, again, just move on. Please do not respond to trolling, abuse or flaming - at best, you're making yet another post for the moderators to remove, and at worst, you risk starting a flame war. Report the problem and go find some bigger and better posts to respond to.

You have the initial confusion that a person has over a misplaced thread. They can be embarrassed, or maybe scared they'll get into trouble, any number of things. It's rather inevitable that someone gets angry over other users doing what really does look like mini-modding more often than not. For instance, in elementary school - how would the average kid react to being told what to do/told what he did wrong by another kid of his age vs. the teacher?

While users can/do fight back when a moderator does something, a moderator is not likely to start a flame war about it and has the power to end it right there.

In addition, discussion over why the thread is misplaced just keeps the thread on the front page longer (spamming). The worst case scenario I've seen is when people started trolling the misplaced thread creator. x_x;

Anyway, my point is that users shouldn't tell the person that their thread has been reported, because it's like a ticking bomb waiting to explode. Some threads that would otherwise have died (leaving misplaced threads off of the first page), stay up a lot longer.
Morons who disrespect mods need to be banned. It is intolerable when people such as that roam Gaia.
CatsGame
LobsterJohn

that 3nodding
Alexandrea Zenne
Well, perhaps slightly off-topic, part of what would solve a lot of the flame wars that break out would be to not give Picture Posters permission to make "this doesn't belong here" posts.

Quote:
If you see a misplaced thread, don't keep posting in it to say that it is misplaced. Repeated posting in a topic telling the creator that their thread is in the wrong place does absolutely nothing to get the thread moved. Therefore, it can be viewed as just another form of spam. If you see a newly made thread that shouldn't be in this forum, you can make a post to guide the person to the right place, but please make sure to report it also. If somebody else has already done this, move on.

If you see a post that violates the rules, don't jump on the person who made it. It is alright to let a user know that what they have posted is unacceptable and that they should delete it, along with reporting the post in question. However, if someone else has already done so, again, just move on. Please do not respond to trolling, abuse or flaming - at best, you're making yet another post for the moderators to remove, and at worst, you risk starting a flame war. Report the problem and go find some bigger and better posts to respond to.

You have the initial confusion that a person has over a misplaced thread. They can be embarrassed, or maybe scared they'll get into trouble, any number of things. It's rather inevitable that someone gets angry over other users doing what really does look like mini-modding more often than not. For instance, in elementary school - how would the average kid react to being told what to do/told what he did wrong by another kid of his age vs. the teacher?

While users can/do fight back when a moderator does something, a moderator is not likely to start a flame war about it and has the power to end it right there.

In addition, discussion over why the thread is misplaced just keeps the thread on the front page longer (spamming). The worst case scenario I've seen is when people started trolling the misplaced thread creator. x_x;

Anyway, my point is that users shouldn't tell the person that their thread has been reported, because it's like a ticking bomb waiting to explode. Some threads that would otherwise have died (leaving misplaced threads off of the first page), stay up a lot longer.

That isn't neccessarily fair to say zenne. You have no idea the rest of the stuff in that thread, i've never ever gotten such a reaction. He was obviously a troll from the other things he said in that topic. I don't think you can realize that from all the stuff i cut out. I feel kinda like you're somewhat aiming this at me, i however didn't even report it for that fact, we have a helper now so we aren't really supposed to report misplaced threads. I merely let the user know he wasn't in the correct forum, and he clearly said to me "yea well i don't feel like going through the subforums" I can't help that. Then the conflict elevated when another user came in and started flaming this guy. I can see where he got offended even, but the way a user reacts is out of our control. It's not the same situation as teacher/student. It's more like a club type thing, an older more experienced user is letting you know that your thread should be placed in a different forum. Newer users don't always know where to post or read the stickies, if other users don't tell them to they never will. You can't forbid users from telling people where the propoer forum is, then you just have other users with a lot of questions on why their topics were moved. Please don't assume things even if you don't have all the information.
Quote:
That isn't neccessarily fair to say zenne. You have no idea the rest of the stuff in that thread, i've never ever gotten such a reaction. He was obviously a troll from the other things he said in that topic. I don't think you can realize that from all the stuff i cut out. kinda like you're somewhat aiming this at me, i however didn't even report it for that fact, we have a helper now so we aren't really supposed to report misplaced threads.
Hm? I wasn't aiming that at anyone - I've long held the opinion that regular users shouldn't be allowed to go in and say "this doesn't belong here." Some of those comments were (very obviously) the result of that kind of thing - however, if people weren't allowed to respond to misplaced threads, from what I can tell (unless you post the entire thing, people can only base what they say off of what they see, by the by) some of that may not have happened.

"not really supposed to report misplaced threads" I don't know what context you're putting this in, but it sounds awful fishy to me. : P

In any case, I put a "this may be slightly off-topic" disclaimer there for a reason.

Quote:
I merely let the user know he wasn't in the correct forum, and he clearly said to me "yea well i don't feel like going through the subforums" I can't help that.

And that would be part of my point - it's like a ticking bomb waiting to explode. if it doesn't happen one time, good, but it's somewhat inevitable. A lot of conflicts I've seen, not all, but a lot of them, result from users going "this does not belong here"

Quote:
Then the conflict elevated when another user came in and started flaming this guy. I can see where he got offended even, but the way a user reacts is out of our control.
Exactly, it's out of your control - meaning when someone does go off, you don't know when, where, or how, but you can get rid of the leading causes.

Quote:
It's not the same situation as teacher/student.

Teacher = moderator
Student = users on the same level

The reaction might not go off every time, but it happens, and it happens because of an unneccesary factor - normal users going "this does not belong here."

Quote:
It's more like a club type thing, an older more experienced user is letting you know that your thread should be placed in a different forum.

No. By "older more experienced user" you mean "forum regular." (because we can't assume that misplaced threads are all made by newbies, can we?) It's hardly ever viewed as a club - it's more likely to be viewed as "forum nazi regulars" "forum regulars" "me vs. the bitchy forum regular." And again, it doesn't always happen that way, but it can. Users saying "this thread is misplaced" is an uneccesary factor in the entire equation.

Quote:
Newer users don't always know where to post or read the stickies, if other users don't tell them to they never will. You can't forbid users from telling people where the propoer forum is, then you just have other users with a lot of questions on why their topics were moved. Please don't assume things even if you don't have all the information.

Oh, but I'm not assuming things. You're just assuming that I am. : ) The majority of what I said is not based on what went on there, but parts of it; since you didn't show the whole story, I can't very well know it all, can I? But part of what you've shown does relate to what I'm saying, which is why I said, "this may be slightly off-topic."

Actually, you can forbid users from telling people why their threads are misplaced (to disprove that, people aren't supposed to post in misplaced threads in ED). The user will either get a message saying why the thread is moved, or PM an online moderator, or (and this happens little, and even so, I tend to expect it if it happens in the forum from which the thread was moved) make a thread in Q and F or something - all of those options are far, far better (safe) than the time bomb that is forum regular "this doesn't belong here." Also, "this doesn't belong here" is a spam-bomb when the user asks "Why?" in the thread.
Quote:
Quote:
It's more like a club type thing, an older more experienced user is letting you know that your thread should be placed in a different forum.

No. By "older more experienced user" you mean "forum regular." (because we can't assume that misplaced threads are all made by newbies, can we?) It's hardly ever viewed as a club - it's more likely to be viewed as "forum nazi regulars" "forum regulars" "me vs. the bitchy forum regular." And again, it doesn't always happen that way, but it can. Users saying "this thread is misplaced" is an uneccesary factor in the entire equation.

That's not at all what i meant by that. I meant somebody who knows the rules. It doesn't matter to me whether or not a person regulars the forum, but more so that they know the basic etiquette of the forum. It's common courtesy to read a forums rules before you post there. I didn't assume that all misplaced threads are made by newbs, in this specific case however the user was a n00b, obvious from the posts he was making. I know a lot of flamers personally, and he was definitely an experienced flamer. I'd rather have someone tell me a thread was misplaced and where it belongs then continuing to post not knowing it was misplaced. Once again zenne i'm not really interested in debating about this subject. This thread is about a need for more moderators, which there is, not about forum regulars (which we all know you love to talk about).
eek his posts are discusting and....insulting......WEIRD eek

rofl its kinda funny though
The Plus
Quote:
Quote:

That's not at all what i meant by that. I meant somebody who knows the rules.
In the context you put it in, yes, that phrase fits rather nicely.

Quote:
It doesn't matter to me whether or not a person regulars the forum, but more so that they know the basic etiquette of the forum.

A person new to the Picture Post can read the rules and no them, which rather effectively cancels out using, "older more experienced users."

Quote:
It's common courtesy to read a forums rules before you post there. I didn't assume that all misplaced threads are made by newbs, in this specific case however the user was a n00b, obvious from the posts he was making. I know a lot of flamers personally, and he was definitely an experienced flamer. I'd rather have someone tell me a thread was misplaced and where it belongs then continuing to post not knowing it was misplaced. Once again zenne i'm not really interested in debating about this subject.

An inference, really. But whether or not you mind it doesn't mean that others won't. So...in any case, I've seen plenty of spam and anger generated from the unneccesary "this doesn't belong here"

Those posts shoudn't belong in the forum, because more often than not it's spam, or generates spam (from what I've seen) - if it's important enough to do that about, may as well take it to PMs in the first place. Under the guise of a PSA or something similar, used to do that all the time in ED instead of spamming up the forum.

Quote:
This thread is about a need for more moderators, which there is, not about forum regulars (which we all know you love to talk about).

And I'm talking about one less problem for them to have to deal with.

Oh, but of course I find space to talk about forum regulars, sometimes they do the oddest things.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff