Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

Ozzy the naive again.

We all know the term 'questing' on Gaia. Some think of games where an old dude sends you on an epic adventure, or some measly errand. But for us, questing is about repeating the same thing over and over until we get the item(s) we want.

User Image

Grinding, basically. And that's okay. The payoff is great!

What usually helps though, is an official game-focused quest notice; with progress bars, updates, and a big, happy 'COMPLETE' stamp when it's all said and done. There's been science on this. We like to see a mark when we punch something. Or make something go away! >:3

In our 'My Gaia' menu we have the Quest Log. Some quests were advertisement-related, some were event-related, and most were zOMG related.

User Image

So how about... an 'ITEM QUESTING' ...quest?
An actual, official, that's-what-we-call-it-and-that's-what-it-IS... Item Quest? :{D~

You just go to 'start new quest,' write down a cool title to get you pumped (like 'The Purple Pixelholic'), tell it what your goal is item/gold-wise, and when you reach it, it's done! Celebrate.

Further possibilities:

- The addition of an 'Add to Quest Log' when you look at an item in a gold shop or the marketplace.

- It could count how many personal quests you've made/completed, and give you an achievement or something. I personally don't care about achievements, but some do!

- I always have to ask or dig around a friend's profile to find out if they're questing so maybe I can help them out (and wish lists are usually too piled and disorganized for me to know what they're really focusing on in their list). How about an upfront addition to 'Friends' or 'Notices' on our My Gaia that shows you what quests your friends are on? They'll see yours too, of course.

- Totally lie to us, okay? Advertise the hell out of this feature with that stereotypical 'BIG FANTASY ADVENTURE YEAH!' theme, so we have a nice way of looking at it when we're mindlessly gold grinding in zOMG or Booty Grab. I don't mind a lie if it's pretty. I mean hell, look at your log-in screen! Where IS that giant magical castle anyway? I don't know, but I want in! :{D~

- Going beyond quests, you could allow us to make our own progress bar/quantity-based quests for things like: Gold sink contribution goals, personal friend amount goals, posting goals, etc.

- Have a 'dedication reward' for completing a quest you made. Nothing exploitable; just something nice. Like a 'most dedicated users this week' front page spot. I dunno.

- Maybe allow us to set it so all the gold we earn doesn't pile up on our Log In/Out menu, but goes directly into a specific quest or all quests at once (and even be able to take gold out of a quest in progress if we so choose).

About tektek's quest bars:

BTW: Yes, the idea is very similar to tektek's quest bars, but why I think this idea will be helpful is threefold:

- Having an official version helps give Gaia's classic user-coined term 'questing' a more visual and goal-oriented experience that can help our already-unique site stand out even more on an official/'owning the term' level than just 'using Jason Schwen's tools on tektek and Gaia not joining its users in use of the term 'questing.' Joining us in the use of our slang also helps us feel like we helped make Gaia in ways besides just paying money, white-listing ads, and frequenting Site Feedback >:3

- Gaia hasn't merged with or bought tektek (for some reason) and newcomers to Gaia Online only see what's in front of them; they don't learn about tektek's quest bars right away. If Gaia had it's own item questing system, it would be right in front of the new users to see when they go digging through the marketplace for things to buy or put on their wish list. It would make for a much better first impression because any game with a constant reminder of how close you are to achieving your next goal is addicting. Just look at Gaia achievement completionists :{D~

- It will bring a dead feature back to life just like that *snap*. Any game with roots in increasing numbers and bars, passing through milestones of progression, and the spending of said numbers on highly diverse items (many of which are going to take several days to obtain)--is going to benefit from having a tool like this.

I love this site. Questing can be agonizing, but I love it. It's fun to come up with something new.
And we all know that's never going to change...
User Image

...So best make a game out of it >;3

Hardened Member

Ahh do want.

This of course, has nothing to do with my own personal quest :'D

BUT, since the feature was long abandoned, I'd love to see it revisted.

This also could help with the long sought after "bank concept" where it's like trades, with password verification and you can dump gold to accomplish said quest. Also, an option to show it in your signature under accounts like you can with cars and aquariums (as well as being able to opt out). I think this could also allow a user to have multiple item quests instead of just one. Maybe up to 5 at a time to keep it from being ridiculous.

The amount of gold dropped in can show progress bar in siggy/profile content/ect aside from on the quests tab (along with the title of whatever you changed it to be).

Maybe?

I do like your suggestion a lot!

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
I actually like that idea. I'd use it.
User Image

Salty Cutie-Pie

<3 Imma fan

Obsessive Vampire

22,500 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
This is a pretty good idea, and is definitely something that I would make use of if it was implemented.

Rainbow Lover

19,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
I rarely quest for items, so this isn't something I would do much with, but since questing is a big part of Gaia I think this would get a lot of use from people.

Lucky Bunny

Slick Southpaw
Ahh do want.

This of course, has nothing to do with my own personal quest :'D

BUT, since the feature was long abandoned, I'd love to see it revisted.

This also could help with the long sought after "bank concept" where it's like trades, with password verification and you can dump gold to accomplish said quest. Also, an option to show it in your signature under accounts like you can with cars and aquariums (as well as being able to opt out). I think this could also allow a user to have multiple item quests instead of just one. Maybe up to 5 at a time to keep it from being ridiculous.

The amount of gold dropped in can show progress bar in siggy/profile content/ect aside from on the quests tab (along with the title of whatever you changed it to be).

Maybe?

I do like your suggestion a lot!
That would be really cool! I love the idea of being able to make savings accounts for quests without creating mules.
Love the thoughts and feedback, everyone. Thank you :]

Shameless Exhibitionist

11,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I had TOTALLY forgot about that feature... I think this would be a great way to revive it and make it relevant for the average user again. I would be nice to be able to track may way towards my Lobo ;_;

I wouldn't mind if they figured out a way to attach it to achievements either, as I would like to help my friends where I could. Like "FriendX has added Angelic Halo to their Quests List"

I can then go tell them to dream on xDDDD

Animal Lover

16,350 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Add Alchemy in too. I'm questing a Glacemella and so my goal would be in terms of items and things like Candy Mountains more than gold. I have one Candy Mountain down and still have to create ten more since the first one will be used to create a Minthamella as I don't want to destroy the Minthamella I quested for and had crafted.

So maybe gold and in terms of how many items you've gotten for you Alchemy quest? They're a big pain as well. I've been working to get my gold back up from the first Candy Mountain. I have the recipe and the Sugar Crystals I just have to buy the other components and they still take a good chunk of change out of you in the end.

Versatile Consumer

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
heart This is a fierce hot couture idea from a great mind heart I think we need something more official for questing. To me, for all of those who do quest, you find that it is easy to get lost in the shuffle of the crowd. Why not have something that says, "HEY, I am questing" and keeps it all together instead of getting lost in the shuffle. heart

Devoted Prophet

That's a fair suggestion. Certainly has potential.

Romantic Reveler

User Image
Jester Says...

.................. i forgot that fricking feature of the site.

YEEEEEEEES please! when i first started, i thought that's what it was FOR. DX i haven't used that since i spoke to moira waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when. i wonder what i even have to do now. *goes to gawk at it* hopefully they do this. it would make it so much more fun.

User Image
    This is a great way to update an old feature that's no longer use.
    Especially since it would tie in with person item and gold quests so well, and other random user-made, personal quests.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff