Welcome to Gaia! ::

Golden Fairy

11,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Ghorza
What if you sold them back to users for real life money?

Like put certain prices to buy them back for each different violation.

I mean, I know a few people that would buy instantly and wouldn't mess up again. 3nodding

Feedback?
your not the first to come up with this idea. others have already asked and obeously nothing has happened.

Grumpy Codger

26,875 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Worthy Challenger 25
On the surface it would sound like a good idea to pay a sort of fine to get an account back. The reality would be pretty different. Moderators already come under fire for bans that many banned users unsurprisingly feel are unfair. If money becomes directly involved in this it will only lead to more headaches for staff.

An important point to consider: An account being banned from the site doesn't actually ban a user from the site. What it does is deprive that user of the account they were being disruptive on. They can, for free, create a new account. They can then use their own money to replace the stuff they lost on the banned account. This is, in effect, pretty much what you are suggesting anyway. The difference being that the amount of money a user is willing to spend to get an account "back" will vary with how much stuff they risked by being disruptive on their old account -- as opposed to being based on some sort of sliding scale determined by the offense.

What is permanently lost with a ban is the access to personal information contained in private messages and the account name. This is fair. If a user is being disruptive or malicious, there needs to be a cost for that or there is no incentive to change that behavior.
Ghorza
What if you sold them back to users for real life money?

Like put certain prices to buy them back for each different violation.

I mean, I know a few people that would buy instantly and wouldn't mess up again. 3nodding

Feedback?

Hello Ghorza

Im here to give constructive feedback and try to improve your idea which is good!
you have my support. heart
the thing here is the involves real life currency that for some rich kids money wouldnt be a problem.

but what is the infractors could get their account back by doing some community service?
idk... do these achievements such as helping a newbie, donate some items, being nice to people.. idk something like that . you get the idea!

you want your account back ? be nice to people.

then you can your account back. gaiaonline will help you out to redeeming yourself .

Sitefeedback should be a place where Users help Thread creators to improve their ideas, not to lashing out on others nor bashing people's ideas

is there an Admin out there reading this?

if you are, please post! heart

lurking forums is not paying out

also Downvoting people's thread is a form of cyberbulling.
and OP im giving you a thumbs Up <3 User Image heart and a Cookie User Image
smile and be happy smile

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
A ban is a punishment that is to take away the offender's accounts, so allowing them to "pay for it" back defeats the purpose of it. Those people deserve to have it banned unless it was a varied violation (such as getting hacked and the hacker banned the account and whatnot).

Besides, you are supporting something that is against the TOS and that is Offsite Trading.

And on your first post, you're only acting like you are because people are not agreeing.

This is Site Feedback; people are ALLOWED to give their opinion and disagreement.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
Ravyn Raptorr
dreamsk
How much would they pay for their account back?

100$?
1000$?

Seriously. I hear people saying "I'll pay money for X feature!" and then when the feature comes around, then they suddenly dont have the money to pay for it. I believe in putting up, because if your not going to follow through then what's the point of even giving out the idea?

The price for getting the account back all-in-all would fall on the shoulders of the staff. But it could be paying how much your account is worth. Maybe the severity of the 'crime'.
If people want to say that they'll pay x amount of money for x feature and they don't do it. That's on them. If they say they want to pay for their account back, but don't get it back. That's on them.
It just annoys the crap out of me. If you want this feature, you should be willing to back it with your wallet. Or else what's the point for the staff? If there's such an interest, then the staff make the feature, but then there actually wasn't as much interest as the community gave them, then they wasted their time on something that they could have spent on the inventory arranger or other features. I honestly wouldn't mind if they based the fee on offense/account worth, but you should tell the staff honestly if you would even use this feature, not your friends, not other users, but you.

Put up or shut up is the basic idea. If you're not willing to pay for a feature you suggest, then don't suggest it at all. Dont burden other people with an idea you don't even believe in.

Lonely Dragon

Don't think it would work (unless you made people pay huge huge huge sums of money, like a fine).

I do think the items of permabanned accounts should be sold in raffles or whatever since those items are never going to be used again.

Professional Cat

Eh, but I really believe the point in being "yes, I read the terms and conditions, and no I won't violate them or risk getting my account permanently banned." Of course I say this while never having been banned before.

I'm sure it is very difficult to gain everything you had on a banned account, and you may never get certain achievements back, but like many others mentioned, it is a form of punishment. What kind of punishment would it be if you could just pay your way out of it? I'm not sure why it could be seen as an okay gesture. I also believe no other forms of action should be exchanged for the account back either. "You were banned, sorry, but if you want, make a new account, and learn your lesson."

Also wanted to mention, to all users who have been wrongfully banned, you should be able to file a ticket to appeal with proof they were banned wrongfully. Probably won't always work out, but you at least have a chance.

I'm sure people are only downvoting because they use it to show they disagree with the idea. It's common in SF. Hope I don't seem to be attacking you. Definitely not my intention.

Demonic Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
On one side, it's a good idea
On the other hand, who's actually going to know this crap when it's released besides people who already made an account after?

Sukuya's Partner

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
MOTHER OF GOD NO.
Otherwise it just encourages those with access to money to just violate the rules repeatedly.

Heart Tamer

Or they can get a new account and pay for Gaia Cash to get back what was lost if they care enough about it. No one is stopping them from buying GC on a new account.

kayla wasabi's Husband

Friendly Friend

they should do it
this site lost most of it's self respect/integrity years ago
not much of anything holding them back from doing so
make it be worth $1000 lol

kayla wasabi's Husband

Friendly Friend

Ghorza
I think it's amazing how you can logically compare an online ban to murder as if the they can even be compared.
that's gonna be the main argument you'll be hearing
jeez it's a website, jumping to irl crime comparison is just silly

reviali's Waifu

Sparkly Fatcat

27,025 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Team Kitten Star 75

Unstoppable Krampus

Rhaego
also Downvoting people's thread is a form of cyberbulling.

Jesus ******** Christ no it isn't. It's just a way of showing disagreement with a thread. People are using the feature exactly how it was intended. emotion_facepalm

User Image

vikinghalex's One That Got Away

Sparkling Star

30,175 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Torii Gatekeeper 500
I can agree and disagree with most of the posts here. Yes there is a such thing as due punishment to learn a lesson, but the banning system in place on this website is the harshest I have ever seen. 9 times out of ten the ban is PERMANENT. The system is also too inaccurate to be as harsh as it is. Innocent users slip through all the time with permanent bans as a result of something they didn't do or was out of their control.

I used to use an auto poster on this site years and years ago, and eventually I was permanently banned - on the first offense. Sure, it was a shitty immature thing that I did. But this was nearly 9 years ago. Do you think the offense fits the punishment?

Now I don't really agree with the OP's suggestion, but at the same time I feel like Gaia's banning system is too totalitarian and outright broken.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff