Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
Of cause they are different. Do you understand principles of concept? stressed They don't have to be alike them selves, its the concepts that are being discussed.
Actually, I thought we were using examples from other places to demonstrate to each other how the Gaian economy works. So ******** your "concepts", they need to be similar. One can learn nothing about the Gaian economy from something so unlike the Gaian economy that no significant parallels can be drawn in the subtleties of their workings.

Quote:
While the main focus on those games are indeed market controlled trade - the multiplayer elements have free trade in them which is much like what we have here. I will also tell you that the reason the people that made those games have made money out of it, is because it has rule sets that are followed. People don't trust each other, they trust something more concrete, and are often happier dealing with a system they can understand instead of being paranoid of getting 'scammed' sky high.
The reason the people that made those games made money out of it is because they made the games. No further embellishment is needed for the developers themselves to make money. But I think you just contradicted yourself. Free trade, regulated by a concrete system of rules? Sounds to me like those so paranoid of being scammed are simply idiotic; with a concrete system of rules, it is possible to learn the rules so well that victory is practically guaranteed.

Quote:
... I have really worked you up over this haven't I? eek
Nah.

Quote:
Another thing I have been noticing is that your replies are relying on things happening. That is dangerous in any economy, never assume that someone will supply, after all - how can they get something from somewhere else if it isn't going to be there. ( the underlined bit. )
There is plenty of supply for all but the rarest of items. But without supply, there is no goddamn economy in the first place, so I think it's safe to assume that there is a goddamn supply. rolleyes

Quote:
The important part is the part I just bolded. Which is rather funny, (no offence.) Not everyone is a reseller - and they are the only ones making enough to keep up with themselves.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. I don't resell, and I don't plan to sell the letters I have anytime soon, yet I have paid 8k-12k every month for two to three letters a month since February 2004, despite the fact that the only thing I do to earn gold is posting, and I still have yet to fall behind - in fact, thanks to knowing the right people, I got discounted letters and some extra cash this month which means I'm actually AHEAD, well ahead, of the game.

Quote:
A big issue of inflation is income. Gaia's income to the 'masses' does not go with the inflation which is an economic flaw isn't it? People 'work' as it were, and as time goes by - request a pay rise. The rise in cash flow causes the inflation on market prices as the gold value drops. And the cycle keeps going, but here on Gaia the income increase is missing. The prices are going up and a large portion of the users are getting nothing to compete. In short, instead of having an economic system, that for the most part takes care of itself, but could bottom out or even get stronger - we have a giant mess.
On the contrary; the poll cap has been lessened, fishing is now available for those who want to make money, donation letters are a popular currency for everyone, and it should be noted that just about ANYONE who has EVER bought a donation letter (unless it was a May '04 letter, haha, poor bastards) has or will profited/profit from inflation. For example, let's take the June '04 letter. After the relative disappointments of the previous two months, letter prices were somewhat lower than usual, and one could easily pick up a letter at a solid 4k. Now, almost a year later, EVIL values those same letters at 75k. Imagine how much, say, the Guitars will be worth a year. Scraping together enough gold for three or four letters now could mean MAJOR PROFIT later.

Quote:
Now as for Gelmax's statement, define 'many people'. A few that can buy does not make a large demand. That many people better be the majority of Gaia, before you make a statement like that.
Well, let's put it this way. I have over a million gold worth of items, and I've never had more than 20k pure at any one time ever period, and my income last year was 13-15k a month (decreased this year to 9k-12k a month for unknown reasons, probably having to do with decreased activity and less posting). Apparently, 99% of all gold I have ever possessed, EVER, was acquired simply by NOT selling stuff and FORGETTING MY STUFF EVER EXISTED. Based on that, I'd say there's a fair amount of people who've actually worked for gold, sold Pink Boxes when they got them, donated for letters, and/or run minishops, and are a HELL OF A LOT RICHER THAN I AM.

Quote:
Suppose that the cigs were a limited to just one, would you pay 5mill gg for it? or get a better item that is not 5mill. Personally even if there was only one cig - I could never appreciate a 5mill price.
Depends on how bad I want that cig. If I have 5 million gold and I MUST HAVE that one cig, I'd pay 5.5 million gold (just to overcome the other people who are probably already throwing offers at you for the same reasons). Which, again, goes back to the demand part of "supply and demand". If someone wants something badly enough that they MUST have it, the sellers will raise prices as much as they can to make as much profit as they can.

Original Gaian

Silver Archangel
Zahir
Wolf Lycanthe
Taeryyn
As much as inflation sucks, it is the fault of Gaian users. And in reality, the only reason prices are the way they are is because people have that much gold and will pay that much for their desired items.
Honestly, people b***h and complain, but then they sell their items at the going rate, and continue to buy overpriced items. confused
Sell your items for lower prices. Refuse to pay the high prices.

I really dislike the idea of the admins stepping in and setting a limit on how much you can sell your items for. I just do not think that's the right way to handle the situation.

I didn't say admins.

I said mods and users would work together to set the prices, and prevent insane inflation.

Wait wait wait. Are these the same mods who you spend big chunks of this thread decrying as being power-hungry, arrogant, abusive and corrupt? surprised
would you be offended if I said I loved you? whee
Hey, I have no objection to the platonic manlove. xd
Quote:
So why not make a system, where the moderators set the prices on these donation items, and prevent inflation from skyrocketing?
Because they'd have to completely do away with trades. As long as there are trades and pms, one can still sell an item for as high or low as they want, avoiding any regulation created by a system. Someone sending 100,000 gold to someone, and getting an item in return could just be borrowing it or using it for collateral.

Yes inflation makes it so that I'll never get any of those 03 and likely never any 04 item, but oh well. Frankly those items were a gift to those who donated then. Inflation of those items will likely never drop but oh well, there are those stupid enough to pay for them. You said vets complain about having to pay alot but it's there own fault. So is inflation as a whole. As long as someone is willing to pay for the item at that price, that's how much it's going to sell for.

The only true way to stop inflation is the end all kill all. Put all donation items in the store and get rid of items as gifts for donating. I'm not supporting this but that is the only solution to stop inflation on a limited addition item that's rising of time just like it would in real life.
I like inflation, I'm not against. I like economy, I am not against. I am against fear of the wealthy. Some are under the impression that the economy should continue forever up and up for them and they wont make a loss - I say teach them a lesson and to stop being ignorant.

An economy only works if it is believed to exist Gelmax - because the people are what interact with it. If they see no economy to interact with, and no evidence of pricings and so forth, they will forever argue that there is no economy. Just a *this is a stick up, your money or your life* in like situation.

Nearly every economy exists because it is known. It is defined because it is known, and people trade because it exists. Your re statements that gaia's economy isn't real and so forth mean little. Because and economy is still an economy. The only thing that it isn't real means, that anything that happens to an outside economy, won't be the cause of what is inside; But an economy is an economy.
Kyoto of the Wildfire
Because they'd have to completely do away with trades. As long as there are trades and pms, one can still sell an item for as high or low as they want, avoiding any regulation created by a system. Someone sending 100,000 gold to someone, and getting an item in return could just be borrowing it or using it for collateral.

Indeed, I never said that would cease, (the direct trades) there always would be a gaian black market to keep it both fun and annoying.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff