Welcome to Gaia! ::

Have you noticed this?

Yes, it's a pain. 0.45994065281899 46.0% [ 155 ]
Yes, but it doesn't bother me. 0.12462908011869 12.5% [ 42 ]
No, I don't edit my profile enough to notice. 0.091988130563798 9.2% [ 31 ]
No, I don't use any of those panels, or I place them below everything. 0.053412462908012 5.3% [ 18 ]
No, I use a Classic profile, but I can sympathize. 0.10385756676558 10.4% [ 35 ]
Gold? Where? 0.16617210682493 16.6% [ 56 ]
Total Votes:[ 337 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 56 57 58

Loyal Gaian

HyruleanHero
I know all about CSS, but not everyone does, or should have to, in order to edit their profiles. Profiles should be as user-friendly as possible, and I believe this would help.
Oh, good. So then you should know all about HTML as well, since you should know HTML before CSS, since CSS is only used to change the visual aspect of HTML lol

There is no object element in those panels when in edit mode and the panel's height is set to auto. Since there's no large object to take up space, the panel collapses. The fact of the matter is, and this was pointed out last month, this thread has been around since 2010. With no changes made. The staff are well aware that the profile system in general needs an overhaul, I've pointed this out in the AtA about the Current profile template glitches. However, they will not be changing anything soon, since profiles are not a primary concern.

Supportive Regular

12,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
Knight Yoshi
HyruleanHero
I know all about CSS, but not everyone does, or should have to, in order to edit their profiles. Profiles should be as user-friendly as possible, and I believe this would help.
Oh, good. So then you should know all about HTML as well, since you should know HTML before CSS, since CSS is only used to change the visual aspect of HTML lol

There is no object element in those panels when in edit mode and the panel's height is set to auto. Since there's no large object to take up space, the panel collapses. The fact of the matter is, and this was pointed out last month, this thread has been around since 2010. With no changes made. The staff are well aware that the profile system in general needs an overhaul, I've pointed this out in the AtA about the Current profile template glitches. However, they will not be changing anything soon, since profiles are not a primary concern.

I never implied that I expected it to be done anytime in the near future. I know these things are low-priority. I'm simply reminding them that it's a constant concern.

Well, I don't see why they couldn't implement a placeholder. Just because there isn't any object there doesn't mean it wouldn't help to have one. It's a little awkward editing a profile when you don't know how things will look when you're done, and you aren't aware of CSS coding. Not everyone knows how to do research on these kinds of things. Not everyone knows that a Profile Discussion forum even exists, seeing as users constantly make topics about profiles in SQ&A and Bug Reports, when that forum is often a better option. Therefore, making profiles user-friendly should be a priority, even if it takes years to update them.

Loyal Gaian

HyruleanHero
Knight Yoshi
HyruleanHero

I never implied that I expected it to be done anytime in the near future. I know these things are low-priority. I'm simply reminding them that it's a constant concern.

Well, I don't see why they couldn't implement a placeholder. Just because there isn't any object there doesn't mean it wouldn't help to have one. It's a little awkward editing a profile when you don't know how things will look when you're done, and you aren't aware of CSS coding. Not everyone knows how to do research on these kinds of things. Not everyone knows that a Profile Discussion forum even exists, seeing as users constantly make topics about profiles in SQ&A and Bug Reports, when that forum is often a better option. Therefore, making profiles user-friendly should be a priority, even if it takes years to update them.

I don't believe there should be a placeholder. One reason is what would the use for it, a div with a fixed height and width, well then that would confuse users more. Because you can't use an empty object element, it must have a data and type attribute, which must have legal values. If you really want to work on a profile. If you're running Firefox, use the Style Editor, (Shift+F7.) You can edit any style sheet in the page in real-time, copy the changes and save them in edit mode. Now before you say, "not everyone uses Firefox" or "not everyone knows how to use this." That is true, many users use Chrome as well. Guess what, it also can use third party extensions, and some of which are for web development purposes and have similar functionality as Firefox's native developer tools.

There are reasons why they don't have the object on the profile in edit mode. While I do understand your point, you're not understanding the other side of it. I'm not sure of the entirety behind omitting it in edit mode, probably something along the lines of when the profile is saved, in normal view it calls the data of the account that the profile belongs to and loads it on the server-side. The fact that edit mode allows you to add and delete panels at will would make incompatible with this, since server-side processes such as that are only available when submitting and receiving information to the server.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games