Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
wonderfinch
Hikarulawl

*Sigh* I fully understand and even agree with 99.9% of what the new ignore system will have! But that one freaking percent. That one single problem I have that isn't any way shape or form can be use as harassment if my enjoyment of reading third party threads is hinder because of someone else CHOICE to ignore me for petty reasons! They made the choice to make me invisible to them. I did not! Reading a post from someone who I can not interact should not be made invisible to me because of their decisions. You most likely do not engage in extensive heated discussion as much as I have. And when communicating in those kind of thread happens; you must be aware of all parties point of view if you wish to stay on topic. So when a person who is just as active as I am in a forum and decides they want to engage in a third party thread that I so happens to join in; conversations will start to look like it was lost in translation. Yes I get it. The good out weigh the bad by a long shot. But such a small problem that will become a big deal down the road should be an easy fix. That's my only concern.

Considering I've been on the site much longer than you have, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes, I have, in fact, engaged in as much extended, heated discussion as you have. Hell, I will even say that I have engaged in much more extended, heated discussion than you have. So I understand what you're saying- that it can be difficult to follow the flow of a thread if content is missing or invisible to you. That sucks and is annoying but it's not the end of the world and it certainly isn't as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. If you're in a discussion and fear others may think less of you because you're missing some content of the post, all you have to do is say, "Hey guys, I think person X is ignoring me, so I'm sorry that I can't respond to their points unless someone else quotes them." There's such an impossibly easy fix for it that I don't understand why you're even pitching a fit about it.

This is not something that is a big deal, nor will it ever be a big deal. A "big deal" is protecting the safety and security of those who have been the victims of bullying and harassment and had their real-life safety threatened by individuals on this site. If someone blocks you and doesn't want you to see their posts, that's their decision and it's not actually up to you to decide for them or get mad about it- even if it is for so-called "petty" reasons. I think it's completely fair and valid that a user of a site be able to control who gets to see media they generate. If you annoy someone or do something to upset them, then they should definitely have the right to deny you the ability to see what they say. It's hard to swallow the fact that you may have no say in the matter but at the end of the day it's not for you to decide.

*Face palm* First of all this isn't my first account. Second of all I have been all over different types of forms in all 8 years of being on Gaia. Including the ED. And in each any every forum I participated in I became a regular of that particular forum because I engage in vast amounts of extensive discussion. Don't assume my character just because right now I'm settle on a more lay back kind of forum as of right now. I don't know how many times I have to reiterate this message to you that I'm all in favor of everything else the new ignore feature will include. I fully understand what the devs main goal is to insure the safety of their customers. Unfortunately the reality of the matter that nearly 70-80 percent of people who uses the ignore use it to block for petty reasons. This feature is ideal for those who want to use it. For those who don't want to block everyone that disagrees with them should not be force into an auto-ignoring just because someone else place them on ignore.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Yen Quest
Hikarulawl
*Sigh* I fully understand and even agree with 99.9% of what the new ignore system will have! But that one freaking percent. That one single problem I have that isn't any way shape or form can be use as harassment if my enjoyment of reading third party threads is hinder because of someone else CHOICE to ignore me for petty reasons! They made the choice to make me invisible to them. I did not! Reading a post from someone who I can not interact should not be made invisible to me because of their decisions. You most likely do not engage in extensive heated discussion as much as I have. And when communicating in those kind of thread happens; you must be aware of all parties point of view if you wish to stay on topic. So when a person who is just as active as I am in a forum and decides they want to engage in a third party thread that I so happens to join in; conversations will start to look like it was lost in translation. Yes I get it. The good out weigh the bad by a long shot. But such a small problem that will become a big deal down the road should be an easy fix. That's my only concern.
Like you and a couple of other people (me included), we all tried to explain our problems (both today and yesterday to other people) but they (some people) seem to just dismiss it all because it's a small problem/thing, especially when compared to harassment cases. I would like it if they would at least consider our problems rather than just say "don't let it bother you" and bring up harassment as a reason for them to not bother/deal with our concern.

I made a suggestion thread in SF about letting us have a secondary option that work separately to that of the improved ignore feature. The staff is considering my idea, and I am happy to hear that. My only disappointment is the fact that it won't fix the ignore/block problem (people are going use ignore over my suggestion with petty reasons in mind for ignore), and my idea's not going to happen in the near future due to technical difficulties.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is frustrated on how so many people keep on disregarding our freedom to choose not to ignore others is being affected. The Site Feedback and the ED will become greatly affected by the change. Hell every forum will.

Hilarious Member

Uesugi Ankit
Finally getting it updated, can't wait! biggrin
Lazarus Larkin
Wait, we won't be able to see threads if the person has us on ignore? At all? I do not like that idea at all.

I don't like this bit either.
Ew, seriously?
I can understand them not wanting to see my stuff and all, but if I was ignored by them..
I mean, I can understand that they don't want me to see their profile or threads, but really? Existing comments from them are removed for me?
They may not want to see my comments anymore and so be it, but if someone I used to like/be friends with blocks me, I still want the memories (comments) from them to remain on my page. Why are you punishing me for them being a d**k?

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Hikarulawl

*Face palm* First of all this isn't my first account. Second of all I have been all over different types of forms in all 8 years of being on Gaia. Including the ED. And in each any every forum I participated in I became a regular of that particular forum because I engage in vast amounts of extensive discussion. Don't assume my character just because right now I'm settle on a more lay back kind of forum as of right now. I don't know how many times I have to reiterate this message to you that I'm all in favor of everything else the new ignore feature will include. I fully understand what the devs main goal is to insure the safety of their customers. Unfortunately the reality of the matter that nearly 70-80 percent of people who uses the ignore use it to block for petty reasons. This feature is ideal for those who want to use it. For those who don't want to block everyone that disagrees with them should not be force into an auto-ignoring just because someone else place them on ignore.

Then please don't make assumptions about my character or participation in online forums, either, if it has you so upset! You were the one who clearly called into question my experience with extended discussion on online forums, not vice-versa. I feel I'm pretty well-versed in communicating online, and contrary to your initial implication I don't think I suffer some inability to comprehend the problem due to a lack of online experience as I have been on the internet for well over a decade. I have acknowleged the legitimacy of your complaint multiple times and even proposed a possible solution that would easily accommodate both our very valid concerns (from my first post: "Maybe in the future "levels" of ignoring could be set up (so you can just not have to see what someone says vs. completely blocking them from your Gaia life), but for now I think this is an important, necessary feature and I for one am extremely glad to see it." Other people have proposed having Flash-area-only blocks and to build on that I'm sure you could make a system where you could check off what things you wanted the person you were blocking to be able to see/not see- e.g. you didn't have to see their posts but they could still see yours, or you can ignore them in ZOMG but not on forums). I firmly believe that the actual, real-world safety of members should come first but that doesn't mean I think you're spouting some baseless concern, even if it isn't something that worries me personally.

I legitimately don't understand why someone not wanting you to see their posts is so problematic to you, and it also doesn't sound like you're really on board with what the new ignore feature will entail? Maybe I'm biased because I, and most of the other people I know, only use the "ignore" feature for people who are actively trolling and harassing so we don't have to see what they say before the developers can get to them. I'd say this represents about 90% of the cases I know of the "ignore" feature being utilized, since it's often the only way to block those individuals due to the high wait time for dev/mod responses. That's why I think that using this feature in a way that prioritizes members' security is important, since it's one of the few ways members CAN ensure their security. It makes sense to beef up this feature instead of, say, trying to hire new devs or mods to personally handle them.

While I obviously don't represent every Gaian I think you're over-representing the number of people who use it for "petty" reasons, though I think we will probably have to agree to disagree on that point since I suspect we frequent different forums and interact with different users who may utilize it differently, and the devs don't exactly track who ignores other users and why. With this expansion of the "ignore" feature I imagine people will think twice before they use it to block what someone is saying due to the reciprocal nature of the block. It sounds like your concern is that your ability to participate in a discussion will be limited by someone using the feature against you for a "petty reason", which is a valid concern, but perhaps one that has little basis- it makes the other person look just as silly, if not more so, since instead of engaging you they'll look dumb for blocking you and ignoring your response and everything you may say in the future, rather than constructing a thoughtful rebuttal.
i wana know why i put them on ignore
in 6 months i wont remember it

i want an ignore list sort by:
marketplace incident
user doesnt keep their word
user canceled trade
forum incident
troll
hacker
scarmme
Hikarulawl
So let me get this straight. Judging by what I am reading here it seems that whenever someone ignore me; I'm technically auto ignoring them when I am the ignore-e not the ignore-er. I do not want to be auto ignoring someone when someone else ignores me. They make the choice to block me. I did not.

I agree completely.

Other people can control who's posts they wish to see and who's they don't, that's fine, but I don't want them controlling whose posts *I* see on my end. I want control of that myself, especially on the public forums. If they wish to make posts I cannot see they can make them in a guild, or in PMs to someone else.

Public forum threads & posts should be open for everyone to see, unless we ourselves choose not to see them.

Romantic Millionaire

7,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
ezaire
I'll never understand why not being able to read a thread of someone who has ignored you is important. If you choose to look at it, since you can't interact with them, it shouldn't negatively effect them. Guess it's time to browse the site on an unknown mule so I can read threads of people that ignore me for stupid reasons. >.>

Because if you're in the middle of a conversation (this is especially true in SF) and the OP decides they don't like that you don't see 100% eye to eye with them and ignore you, all of a sudden you're basically banned from their thread.

I don't like that this is basically giving thread level mod powers to regular users. This will end badly.

Premium Doll

19,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Uesugi Ankit
Finally getting it updated, can't wait! biggrin

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
I love the changes, it would be so helpful for those who use this ignore list function. I may use it too, I think I will

Enduring Paladin

14,825 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Tycoon 200
Thank the gods! This is most of the stuff I've asked for in my petition. It's good to know both myself and other users will have more piece of mind when we don't want to be bothered with a person. Gotta update my petition thread with this info when I get in front of an actual pc again. Thank you, Gaia! 3nodding
Great.. biggrin

Dapper Knight

7,850 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
good news smile

6,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Thank god!!!