15,150 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
Uncle Kenny
Feedback

Donate one?

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageӇΦдⱤDIȠᎶUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

I brought up a point about flash spaces, mostly zOMG in another thread, but I thought I post it here as well.

Quote:
Aldo Simoncini
I'm undecided. There are 2 kinds of people I'd block:

1. Trolls, stalkers, etc. They shouldn't see me when I ignore them.

2. People I block on zOMG, because they spam the chat and make me lag. Those are only annoying as long as I have to be in one screen with them, but I don't want to block them from seeing my threads, etc. Sometimes I forget to remove zOMG blocked people from my ignore list later...

I'm more concerned about the zOMG (any flash area) issue, as I do the same. Except, the people on my ignore list from zOMG were mostly leechers (very few times it would be one of the ones that go 'poacher!' in certain areas, and therefore I don't want to see them at all). And so, just because this user was acting like a 'leech' in a game, doesn't mean that they are the same in the forums. If that user made a valid thread in SF for example (and let's say for argument sake that they were the only one that made such a thread), and I can't see it to comment it. That would be a issue to me. The reasons for blocking someone in a flash space may be different then blocking someone in a forum(s). I want to be able to see their posts. But as far as I know, the ignore system connected to the flash spaces is the same as the ignore system for the forums; they are not two separate ones.

And so...I am in a small dilemma. Do I have to start remembering usernames (or ID's) in zOMG and forums? I'm bad at remembering usernames as it is. xd The only solution I can see from my end is if I use one account for zOMG and another for the forums, which is something I am not use to and never did as others may have done (to start over in zOMG, one would start a new account). It seems tedious too, but I guess if I really wanted to, I'll do it.

I know that the flash spaces will not be effected by the new ignore system. however, if I block somebody from a flash space for a different reason, I may still want to view their posts in the forums (as it is the same ignore system). The user may have been acting silly in the game, but that doesn't mean they are in the forums. This is pretty much my only concern with the ignore system when it's updated. I have to look at my list now and try to figure out/remember why I put them there; was it from zOMG/another flash space/area or the forums?

Is it possible to add to the system where the person was ignored? Maybe it could say/read 'User was ignored at zOMG' and the last part changes (for forums, it could just read forums and not a specific place).

I know that I could go on another or create another account and use it for zOMG only, but that would be...well, making myself sound lazy, would be hard work and tedious. I would have to start over on the game itself and then try to do whatever else I did. This would include doing DMS over- which took months to get to the current level I am on now- long hours- time I don't have now as I did then. That's all I have to say about this ignore system. 3nodding

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageḈдҠЄϛUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Frozen Mist
Hikarulawl
Chibi Halo
Hikarulawl
So let me get this straight. Judging by what I am reading here it seems that whenever someone ignore me; I'm technically auto ignoring them when I am the ignore-e not the ignore-er. Although I'm glad you have in a way that the person who ignore me can no longer keep up with all activities I do. So those people who have me on ignore can stop temporary un-black list me just to post a reply in one of my threads or even quote me in someone else thread. But everything else I don't agree with. I do not want to be auto ignoring someone when someone else ignores me. They make the choice to block me. I did not. And I certainly don't wish to hop on a mule just to get the whole story in threads that contains a decent amount of discussion just because that person who is discussion with someone else had me on ignore.

Okay devils advocate time here. Flip that whole situation around where you are ignoring someone because they've been giving you some very nasty treatment. You don't want to see them or deal with them and when you do that you're doing so because you don't want them responding to you and giving you trouble. If it was only a one way street you'd have to get them to agree to ignore you back so they would stop with the nasty treatment. This way you ignore them and they can't see a lick of what you're doing and posting.

That's why it's done the way it is. Sometimes you have to put yourself in the role of the person doing the ignoring and imagine a reason that would cause you to go that route.

Once again let me reiterate. For the person who is doing the ignoring this is ideal. But for the person who is being ignored when it comes to conversations in threads with a group of other people the conversation will become skewered if the person who have ME on ignore becomes invisible to ME when I didn't Ignore them. The ignore system will auto forced the person to ignore anyone who is chooses to black list them. My choice have been taken away from me. I do not wish to hop on a mule just to get the full conversation in discussion.

If there is a conversation going on that involves them you wont even know unless they have been quoted - in which case you will see what they say.
And generally, in discussions, replies are (or should be) based on what the person has said, which should essentially summarize whatever you wouldn't be able to see.

Many people have felt the ignore list has been backwards, myself included. If someone has caused me trouble I want THEM to be barred from my life, not the other way around.
I like that Gaia is making the option double sided. I guess I'd probably just prefer it flipped, but then again if I blocked someone do I REALLY want to see their posts reminding me of why I blocked them in the first place? Basically, it can be an irritant that causes drama out of nothing just because of old issues.

If someone does NOT want you to see what they have to say, you should NOT be able to. That is the person's decision, if they feel strongly enough to block you, not yours.

Well I don't wish to auto ignore when I did not make the decision to ignore the person in the first place. The person who is doing the ignoring is making sure everything of me is invisible to them. I can understand I would not be able to make my presence know to the person who have me on ignore. But I don't want to read a multiple conversation amongst 4 and more people going at it and that one person who is engage in the discussion just so happens to be the person who ignored me. It's ok they're reading a broken conversation like listening to someone arguing over a phone but you only can heard one side of the arguing, (there is a study out there that agrees how aggravating that is,) because they chose that way. I did not. There are some things about this new system I'm glad they put in place. Such as the people who ignore me can no longer see my threads. I can't tell you how many times a person who have me on ignore temporarily un-black list me just to put in their two cents. Then they make sure to place me back on ignore just so I'm unable to reply to them. There is only one small problem with this feature that I wish they mods and devs reconsider. Other than that. I'm ok with everything else.

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
hibi-tea
Uncle Kenny

Now, does this mean that I can't physically see them listed in the forums and sub-forums?

Because as it stands, if neither party can see each other's threads or comments (regardless of who ignored who), it seems like you can easily start mud-slinging without a second glance. If the ignoring party can't see their ignoree's posted threads, then the ignoree could hypothetically continue harassment without the ignoring party being any wiser to them.

Someone else would have to do the reporting for harassing behavior, and unless MODs can see who is and isn't ignored (although, I'm guessing they can, but for the sake of my argument let's say they can't), then how are they supposed to know if a friend is just being a butt (good or bad) to another friend or if they're legitimately attempting to take that person down?

Just because someone can't see they're being harassed, doesn't mean they still aren't being harassed, and if the person being harassed can't see they're being harassed, how're they supposed to report it?

Ignorance is a bliss.The person who did the ignoring have no way of knowing if the person who they ignored continues "harassing" them behind their backs, because they made that person virtually invisible to them in anyway. If they're that damn paranoid about people talking about them; they wouldn't even use the ignore feature in the first place. Which ironically would make them the harassers.

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
ezaire
I'll never understand why not being able to read a thread of someone who has ignored you is important. If you choose to look at it, since you can't interact with them, it shouldn't negatively effect them. Guess it's time to browse the site on an unknown mule so I can read threads of people that ignore me for stupid reasons. >.>

It's not viewing the person who places you on ignore threads is the problem. It's about being unable to get the full conversation of multiple parties in someone else thread. A thread that doesn't belong to neither the ignore-er or the ignore-e. I am in no means a lurker in any form of definition. I engage in numerously heated discussion every since I first made an account on this website. Having my out look of people's conversation just because someone wants me to stop liking what they don't like shouldn't be taken away from me because of their choice. It's like a court trial without a defendant. You're only going to get one side and one point of view. And it takes two to tango. Well in this case, many to make a conga line.

Friendly Smoker

5,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Finally I won't have to see annoying people's threads or posts anymore.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
this is wonderful! about time!

Cuddly Cottontail

Deandriea
" no last login date"
I'd really like to keep the last login date, because I often ignorelist tolls, and if someone has been banned or hasn't logged in in a year, what use is there keeping them on my ignore list?

Ditto I'd like it kept as well.

Graceful Believer

Looks like you've covered all the bases. Good work!
We could use an applause icon here so instead I'll send you a emotion_hug

Anxious Friend

hibi-tea
Uncle Kenny

Now, does this mean that I can't physically see them listed in the forums and sub-forums?

Because as it stands, if neither party can see each other's threads or comments (regardless of who ignored who), it seems like you can easily start mud-slinging without a second glance. If the ignoring party can't see their ignoree's posted threads, then the ignoree could hypothetically continue harassment without the ignoring party being any wiser to them.

Someone else would have to do the reporting for harassing behavior, and unless MODs can see who is and isn't ignored (although, I'm guessing they can, but for the sake of my argument let's say they can't), then how are they supposed to know if a friend is just being a butt (good or bad) to another friend or if they're legitimately attempting to take that person down?

Just because someone can't see they're being harassed, doesn't mean they still aren't being harassed, and if the person being harassed can't see they're being harassed, how're they supposed to report it?

Why would it matter then? The harassment is directed at your, for you, to harass you. When you ignore someone now it is like they don't exist for you and thus the harassmetn directed at you ceases to exist for you.

So again, why does it matter? The point is that now there is no way for the person to harass you when before there were ways for them to still harass you.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Hikarulawl
Frozen Mist
Hikarulawl
Chibi Halo
Hikarulawl
So let me get this straight. Judging by what I am reading here it seems that whenever someone ignore me; I'm technically auto ignoring them when I am the ignore-e not the ignore-er. Although I'm glad you have in a way that the person who ignore me can no longer keep up with all activities I do. So those people who have me on ignore can stop temporary un-black list me just to post a reply in one of my threads or even quote me in someone else thread. But everything else I don't agree with. I do not want to be auto ignoring someone when someone else ignores me. They make the choice to block me. I did not. And I certainly don't wish to hop on a mule just to get the whole story in threads that contains a decent amount of discussion just because that person who is discussion with someone else had me on ignore.

Okay devils advocate time here. Flip that whole situation around where you are ignoring someone because they've been giving you some very nasty treatment. You don't want to see them or deal with them and when you do that you're doing so because you don't want them responding to you and giving you trouble. If it was only a one way street you'd have to get them to agree to ignore you back so they would stop with the nasty treatment. This way you ignore them and they can't see a lick of what you're doing and posting.

That's why it's done the way it is. Sometimes you have to put yourself in the role of the person doing the ignoring and imagine a reason that would cause you to go that route.

Once again let me reiterate. For the person who is doing the ignoring this is ideal. But for the person who is being ignored when it comes to conversations in threads with a group of other people the conversation will become skewered if the person who have ME on ignore becomes invisible to ME when I didn't Ignore them. The ignore system will auto forced the person to ignore anyone who is chooses to black list them. My choice have been taken away from me. I do not wish to hop on a mule just to get the full conversation in discussion.

If there is a conversation going on that involves them you wont even know unless they have been quoted - in which case you will see what they say.
And generally, in discussions, replies are (or should be) based on what the person has said, which should essentially summarize whatever you wouldn't be able to see.

Many people have felt the ignore list has been backwards, myself included. If someone has caused me trouble I want THEM to be barred from my life, not the other way around.
I like that Gaia is making the option double sided. I guess I'd probably just prefer it flipped, but then again if I blocked someone do I REALLY want to see their posts reminding me of why I blocked them in the first place? Basically, it can be an irritant that causes drama out of nothing just because of old issues.

If someone does NOT want you to see what they have to say, you should NOT be able to. That is the person's decision, if they feel strongly enough to block you, not yours.

Well I don't wish to auto ignore when I did not make the decision to ignore the person in the first place. The person who is doing the ignoring is making sure everything of me is invisible to them. I can understand I would not be able to make my presence know to the person who have me on ignore. But I don't want to read a multiple conversation amongst 4 and more people going at it and that one person who is engage in the discussion just so happens to be the person who ignored me. It's ok they're reading a broken conversation like listening to someone arguing over a phone but you only can heard one side of the arguing, (there is a study out there that agrees how aggravating that is,) because they chose that way. I did not. There are some things about this new system I'm glad they put in place. Such as the people who ignore me can no longer see my threads. I can't tell you how many times a person who have me on ignore temporarily un-black list me just to put in their two cents. Then they make sure to place me back on ignore just so I'm unable to reply to them. There is only one small problem with this feature that I wish they mods and devs reconsider. Other than that. I'm ok with everything else.

I think your complaint isn't taking into account a pretty important issue that the devs have attempted to solve with this update, though: The implementation of these features helps to prevent harassers from continuing to stalk victims. Does it suck that maybe someone got mad at you and you might miss out on their conversation? Well, yeah, that's less than ideal. But as someone who's been the victim of some pretty intense harassment on this site, I'm very happy that those who I choose to ignore will now be unable to see my posts and harass me through that. People have used my posts to see where I am, what I'm up to, and so on and I don't like the fact that there was no way, until now, to prevent them from seeing what I was doing without removing myself completely from the Gaia community.

I think this is a great solution to an actual, serious problem that occurs with a tragic deal of regularity on the site, and I feel the minor inconvenience to users such as yourself is vastly outweighed by the increase in safety and security to those who have found themselves the victims of bullying and harassment on this site.

Maybe in the future "levels" of ignoring could be set up (so you can just not have to see what someone says vs. completely blocking them from your Gaia life), but for now I think this is an important, necessary feature and I for one am extremely glad to see it.

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
wonderfinch
Hikarulawl
Frozen Mist
Hikarulawl
Chibi Halo
Hikarulawl

I think your complaint isn't taking into account a pretty important issue that the devs have attempted to solve with this update, though: The implementation of these features helps to prevent harassers from continuing to stalk victims. Does it suck that maybe someone got mad at you and you might miss out on their conversation? Well, yeah, that's less than ideal. But as someone who's been the victim of some pretty intense harassment on this site, I'm very happy that those who I choose to ignore will now be unable to see my posts and harass me through that. People have used my posts to see where I am, what I'm up to, and so on and I don't like the fact that there was no way, until now, to prevent them from seeing what I was doing without removing myself completely from the Gaia community.

I think this is a great solution to an actual, serious problem that occurs with a tragic deal of regularity on the site, and I feel the minor inconvenience to users such as yourself is vastly outweighed by the increase in safety and security to those who have found themselves the victims of bullying and harassment on this site.

Maybe in the future "levels" of ignoring could be set up (so you can just not have to see what someone says vs. completely blocking them from your Gaia life), but for now I think this is an important, necessary feature and I for one am extremely glad to see it.

*Sigh* I fully understand and even agree with 99.9% of what the new ignore system will have! But that one freaking percent. That one single problem I have that isn't any way shape or form can be use as harassment if my enjoyment of reading third party threads is hinder because of someone else CHOICE to ignore me for petty reasons! They made the choice to make me invisible to them. I did not! Reading a post from someone who I can not interact should not be made invisible to me because of their decisions. You most likely do not engage in extensive heated discussion as much as I have. And when communicating in those kind of thread happens; you must be aware of all parties point of view if you wish to stay on topic. So when a person who is just as active as I am in a forum and decides they want to engage in a third party thread that I so happens to join in; conversations will start to look like it was lost in translation. Yes I get it. The good out weigh the bad by a long shot. But such a small problem that will become a big deal down the road should be an easy fix. That's my only concern.

Blessed Nerd

8,275 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100

I think this is really nice, and am excited for this feature - if anything, to help ensure a safe environment for fellow Gaians =]

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Hikarulawl

*Sigh* I fully understand and even agree with 99.9% of what the new ignore system will have! But that one freaking percent. That one single problem I have that isn't any way shape or form can be use as harassment if my enjoyment of reading third party threads is hinder because of someone else CHOICE to ignore me for petty reasons! They made the choice to make me invisible to them. I did not! Reading a post from someone who I can not interact should not be made invisible to me because of their decisions. You most likely do not engage in extensive heated discussion as much as I have. And when communicating in those kind of thread happens; you must be aware of all parties point of view if you wish to stay on topic. So when a person who is just as active as I am in a forum and decides they want to engage in a third party thread that I so happens to join in; conversations will start to look like it was lost in translation. Yes I get it. The good out weigh the bad by a long shot. But such a small problem that will become a big deal down the road should be an easy fix. That's my only concern.

Considering I've been on the site much longer than you have, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes, I have, in fact, engaged in as much extended, heated discussion as you have. Hell, I will even say that I have engaged in much more extended, heated discussion than you have. So I understand what you're saying- that it can be difficult to follow the flow of a thread if content is missing or invisible to you. That sucks and is annoying but it's not the end of the world and it certainly isn't as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. If you're in a discussion and fear others may think less of you because you're missing some content of the post, all you have to do is say, "Hey guys, I think person X is ignoring me, so I'm sorry that I can't respond to their points unless someone else quotes them." There's such an impossibly easy fix for it that I don't understand why you're even pitching a fit about it.

This is not something that is a big deal, nor will it ever be a big deal. A "big deal" is protecting the safety and security of those who have been the victims of bullying and harassment and had their real-life safety threatened by individuals on this site. If someone blocks you and doesn't want you to see their posts, that's their decision and it's not actually up to you to decide for them or get mad about it- even if it is for so-called "petty" reasons. I think it's completely fair and valid that a user of a site be able to control who gets to see media they generate. If you annoy someone or do something to upset them, then they should definitely have the right to deny you the ability to see what they say. It's hard to swallow the fact that you may have no say in the matter but at the end of the day it's not for you to decide.

Tiny Shapeshifter

Hikarulawl
Like you and a couple of other people (me included), we all tried to explain our problems (both today and yesterday to other people) but they (some people) seem to just dismiss it all because it's a small problem/thing, especially when compared to harassment cases. I would like it if they would at least consider our problems rather than just say "don't let it bother you" and bring up harassment as a reason for them to not bother/deal with our concern.

I made a suggestion thread in SF about letting us have a secondary option that work separately to that of the improved ignore feature. The staff is considering my idea, and I am happy to hear that. My only disappointment is the fact that it won't fix the ignore/block problem (people are going use ignore over my suggestion with petty reasons in mind for ignore), and my idea's not going to happen in the near future due to technical difficulties.
Glad to see that Gaia is getting around to fixing the flaws in the Ignore List system.

Now, one of the issues that was brought to light in the Spring Cleaning/Proposals forum is that the Ignore List's system is so flawed that people may accidentally place themselves on their own Ignore List by mistake, and when they try to remove their name, an error message along the lines of, "Ha-ha! Can't do that!" appears.

A similar thing happens when people place themselves on their own Friends List by mistake.

Will this issue be fixed in the update so that people don't fall victim to such a system oversight?

There's been a small amount of cases of people accidentally placing themselves on their own Ignore List, and the disasterous thing about this Ignore List flaw is that because the way the system works, every post and topic these affected users make are completely invisible to them, making it totally impossible to get technical assistance unless he or she creates another account.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff