Welcome to Gaia! ::

Scurvy Pirate

Hi all, I'm happy to announce that the Ignore system will be getting some much needed upgrades very, very soon. Before I get into the decisions that led to this, I know what you really want to know is what will be changing and how the Ignore system will actually function now. So here you go, this is the master list of the changes for each area of the site that you'll encounter when you add another user to your Ignore list.

Arenas
  • You cannot submit a comment on their artist profile and they cannot submit one on yours
  • You cannot comment on any of their Arena entries and they cannot comment on any of yours
  • Any existing comments by them will be hidden for you and any existing comments by you will be hidden for them

Item Exchanges
  • You cannot start a trade with them and they cannot start a trade with you
  • You cannot send them a gift from your inventory and they cannot send you a gift from their inventory
  • You cannot buy an item and have it delivered to them through the Cash Shop and they cannot buy an item and have it delivered to you through the Cash Shop

Friends Feature
  • You cannot add them as a friend and they cannot add you as a friend until neither of you are on each other's Ignore List
  • Your Ignore List tab will only show the ignored users as offline, with no link to their profile, no status, no user options, and no last login date

Journals
  • You cannot view their journal or journal entries and they cannot view your journal or journal entries
  • You cannot comment on their journal entries and they cannot comment on your journal entries
  • Existing comments by you will be hidden for them and existing comments by them will be hidden for you

Profiles
  • You cannot view their profile and they cannot view your profile
  • You cannot comment on their profile and they cannot comment on your profile
  • Existing comments by you will be hidden for them and existing comments by them will be hidden for you

Private Messages
  • You cannot send them a PM and they cannot send you a PM

Forums
  • You cannot view or enter any of their threads and they cannot see or view any of your threads
  • You cannot post in their threads and they cannot post in your threads
  • You cannot tip their posts or threads and they cannot tip your posts or threads
  • You cannot like/dislike their threads and they cannot like/dislike your threads
  • A notification is not sent to them if you quote them and a notification is not sent to you if they quote you
  • Existing posts by you will be hidden for them in threads and existing posts by them will be hidden for you in threads
  • Existing posts by you will be hidden for them in "Recent Posts" in the Post Preview and existing posts by them will be hidden for you in "Recent Posts" in the Post Preview
  • You cannot view or search their topic or post history and they cannot view or search your topic or post history

Ignoring Staff
All of these come with an additional condition though: Gaia Staff members (Site Moderator and above) are exempt from most of these restrictions. The only things that Gaia Staff members cannot do if you ignore them is...
  • They cannot start a trade with you
  • They cannot send a gift to you from their inventory
  • They cannot buy an item and have it delivered to you through the Cash Shop
  • They cannot add you as a Friend as long as either of you are on each other's Ignore List
  • They cannot tip your posts

They bypass all other restrictions meaning they can still see all of your comments, posts, etc. and you can see all of their comments, posts, etc. All restrictions aside from the viewing restrictions mentioned previously are still in place for you.

Why?
In the simplest sense, because we feel this is how the Ignore system should have been created initially. Unfortunately, as new features and permissions came out, the use of the Ignore list was not taken into consideration so many features were left out of any restriction at all. We want all of our members to have the best experience they can on the site and part of that includes not having to tolerate any other user that decides to be a jerk to them. In many senses, this is more than just an upgrade. It is basically our attempt to provide you with the tool needed to self-moderate the site on your own. If someone is being a jerk to you, you no longer have to wait for them to be banned to get them to stop. You can simply add them to your Ignore list and you no longer have to deal with them at all. This allows you to shape your experience on the site and provides you with the ability to keep you safe and undisturbed while enjoying any of our many available features.

Note
This update will not include any updates to the Flash spaces as our Flash resources are still focused on bringing Towns 2 up to speed. We are in discussion on what our options are for adding additional Ignore restrictions to the Flash spaces and once we are closer to making those happen, we'll let you know.

Feedback
Now we know that not everyone is going to like the lengths to which these restrictions go but we do feel that this is in the best interest of the community as a whole so we don't intend on drastically reducing the restrictions. That said, if you have a concern, complaint, or feedback for these changes feel free to post them here. We plan on releasing this early next week and will be monitoring this thread, and Site Feedback in general, both before and after its release to address any concerns you have.

Demonic Cultist

That's nice.

Winged Demon

16,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Finally getting it updated, can't wait! biggrin

Revered Seeker

❤ "Thank you for putting this in! I know many users were having issues with people in their ignore list still being able to quote you in other threads, and I (I think I can speak for many users on this) are very happy to see this instated!"

Dapper Noob

all i ever wanted it to where i can't see people i've ignored topics and i can't see theirs if im on their ignore.

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
          This is fantastic! I usually don't use the ignore system but it's nice for people who do.

Shirtless Cat

Finally! emotion_donotwant

iReaIist's Comrade

Gaian

12,975 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Gaian 50
amazing surprised

Casrial's Bae

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
So if we are on someone's ignore list and we click their thread, we won't see it?

Or is it the other way around and that person won't be able to view the threads of people s/he has ignored?

or is it both?

Cheery Scrooge

13,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
oh god thank you so much

Edit: first page. ninja
~King Awesome

Perfect Saint

Hope those work well.

I was waiting for this.
Quote:
A notification is not sent to them if you quote them and a notification is not sent to you if they quote you

It's so annoying to get notifications that lead to invisible things. They don't even realize they were ignored so I can't blame them.

MP

Will we still see their items or their store? If we do, will we be able to buy them?

Invisible Phantom

Otherworldly Lunatic

17,875 Points
  • Advent Attendee 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
sounds good

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash