Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Worshipper

30,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I wish I could find the video I saw but I saw a good video that talked about how much of your donations are actually going towards research and how the majority is going elsewhere.

kayla wasabi's Husband

Friendly Friend

no thank you

Magic Seeker

12,625 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Sakura Latte
xFyex
I'm sorry, but in California, the whole idea of the Ice Bucket Challenge is regarded as "stupid" here. Right now, we are suffering in a severe drought that covers 97.5% of the whole state so the idea of wasting clean ice water that can be used for other means is very controversial. I understand that it's an easy challenge that other people can do to help raise awareness, but here, we are literally surviving with a 3-4 month supply of water.

Actually, even though it seems like people are wasting water, it doesn't violate any water regulations at all:

California Water Board: Ice Bucket Challenge Doesn’t Violate Our Regulations

Quote:
"It doesn't violate any of our regulations," said George N. Kostyroko, director of the California State Water Resources Control Board's office of public affairs, in an email.

"People should always use good judgment whenever they use water while we're in a drought. On the other hand, we understand that this is a charitable event," Kostyroko added.

Even though it doesn't violate any regulations, the fact remains that the challenge is very debatable as evident from people tagging "#droughtshaming" on Twitter. Also, there has been some water inspections done by patrols, but instead of enforcing, it's more of educating. Click here for more info.

Benevolent Strawberry

27,600 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Well, isn't a charitable donation for a pixel item better than actually doing the challenge yourself?

There's been concern for the challenge here in Australia too but more because of the health risks it poses. Dumping a bucket of ice and very cold water over yourself in winter is not very good for ones health.

I think Gaia DOES have the potential to raise a lot of money, not only for this particular charity, but many others over the course of time. For the money they make on LQs, Gold Gens and RIGs, surely they could have one or two items dedicated to charity once in a while...

Shameless Wench

Lucht
Well, isn't a charitable donation for a pixel item better than actually doing the challenge yourself?

There's been concern for the challenge here in Australia too but more because of the health risks it poses. Dumping a bucket of ice and very cold water over yourself in winter is not very good for ones health.

I think Gaia DOES have the potential to raise a lot of money, not only for this particular charity, but many others over the course of time. For the money they make on LQs, Gold Gens and RIGs, surely they could have one or two items dedicated to charity once in a while...

Exactly! Thank you!

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
xFyex
Sakura Latte
xFyex
I'm sorry, but in California, the whole idea of the Ice Bucket Challenge is regarded as "stupid" here. Right now, we are suffering in a severe drought that covers 97.5% of the whole state so the idea of wasting clean ice water that can be used for other means is very controversial. I understand that it's an easy challenge that other people can do to help raise awareness, but here, we are literally surviving with a 3-4 month supply of water.

Actually, even though it seems like people are wasting water, it doesn't violate any water regulations at all:

Quote:
"It doesn't violate any of our regulations," said George N. Kostyroko, director of the California State Water Resources Control Board's office of public affairs, in an email.

"People should always use good judgment whenever they use water while we're in a drought. On the other hand, we understand that this is a charitable event," Kostyroko added.

Even though it doesn't violate any regulations, the fact remains that the challenge is very debatable as evident from people tagging "#droughtshaming" on Twitter. Also, there has been some water inspections done by patrols, but instead of enforcing, it's more of educating. Click here for more info.

Honestly, we waste more water when we shower than dumping a single bucket of water filled with ice over our head. The challenge is most likely done only once whereas people shower on a daily basis. If I were to participate in the ice bucket challenge, the amount of water dumped on my head would have nothing on the amount of water I've used total over the years when taking showers.

Magic Seeker

12,625 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Sakura Latte
xFyex
Sakura Latte
xFyex

Quote:

Honestly, we waste more water when we shower than dumping a single bucket of water filled with ice over our head. The challenge is most likely done only once whereas people shower on a daily basis. If I were to participate in the ice bucket challenge, the amount of water dumped on my head would have nothing on the amount of water I've used total over the years when taking showers.

Exactly, so the most effective conclusion, in my opinion, is to not do the Water Bucket Challenge (but donate instead) and lower our use of water.

Shameless Wench

momo-ai13
I wish I could find the video I saw but I saw a good video that talked about how much of your donations are actually going towards research and how the majority is going elsewhere.

Untrue:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/als.asp

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

❤
I was nominated for the ice bucket challenge, but because I'm in California and my towns lake looks like this when the water is usually up to the tree lines, I decided not to participate.

That said, I see nothing wrong with a pixelated item to raise awareness and maybe gaia donating something or linking people to where they CAN donate. I know that "there are worse diseases" and "some people need our help more" and gaian's have ALWAYS said this kind of crap. There is always someone/thing out there that's "worse" and "needs more help" and "is suffering", but for gods sake, don't talk like the people with ALS are doing fine and dandy. Yes, the influx of money they're getting will help but this is great for their research and helping the people with it.

Shy Shoujo

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea, but...why?
Everyone knows about the ice bucket challenge and ALS. It's on Youtube, on TV, everywhere. So it stands to reason those who are able to donate would after seeing one of the many videos.
Others have said they hope that most, if not all of the proceeds would go to the charity; but how would we know with Gaia how much of it would really go to charity? They're kind of untrustworthy, imo. It'd be better to just donate directly, rather than spend money on some (probably cheesy) item (because really, a bucket? Who would actually want to use it?)

Mama Ame 's Partner

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
As someone who's already donated $10 to ALS and done the ice bucket challenge himself IRL, I agree it'd be fun to have an item. smile

Feral Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Flatterer 200
As much as I think it's a good idea to donate for a cause, I think the way they go about is very wasteful. I'm sure they could of figured something else to do then waste water when other people are having droughts and trying to conserve.

However, I don't see to much harm in having pixel items about it. Though not sure I want to promote wasting water like that.

TasteChaos's King

Duck

You mean an item in the Cash Shop that raises money to be donated to ALS?
I'd like this actually, if they could sell an item with a few poses for 3-5$ and all that money is donated then i'm all for it, it doesn't hurt anyone (except for Gaia's wallet). The problem is that I don't trust Gaia with the money.

RowanMoonGuard's Fangirl

Ursine Champion

18,900 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Bookworm 100
I think this would be a great idea. Gaia did something very similar for the Halo of Kannon and the Halo of Bayanihan. I haven't been nominated for the Ice Bucket Challenge, but I'm considering doing it just because. heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff