Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Powerhouse

So someone is going "WTF is this" and you're mad because Gaia mods don't think that's a violation (protip: it is not a violation), so you want Gaia to give you the power to do it yourself?

You are seriously unreasonable.

Virtuous Prophet

11,500 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Invisibility 100
I can understand your frustration, but I think an ability to delete other users' posts would do more harm than good, pretty much like the Ignore System already does. Just like Ignore it would likely be largely used for bullying or manipulating apparent general opinion and the course of discussion as it's done in the Chatterbox. There's too much that's allowed in the CB as it is, but that option to delete posts just makes the CB the perfect place for user A to trash user B if they wish it, seeing as user B can't even say anything about it because their posting is simply suppressed by the bully. So you see the problem in giving new liberties to users is that those privileges tend to be misused. It's been done before and reporting didn't make any difference.
That leads us to a problem that should instead be the very solution: moderation, or rather, moderators.

Like I said I can understand your complaints in general, but particularly regarding the moderation we have in Gaia. Moderators are an heterogeneous group. So what should be our solution is often unreliable when there are dead weights in the moderation team, or worse, those that do not work for Gaia but for themselves. English isn't my language so dead weight is probably not the right expression because it suggests they'd be neutral/inconsequential which isn't always the case. So it's perhaps something more comparable to a parasitic/opportunistic situation, where someone gets to a position of power to serve themselves and their personal interests and not to serve others and the best interests of a community. There are those that just don't care or have forgotten they were only allowed access to moderation tools for the purpose of promoting good behavior and keeping the peace.
I've always respected fellow users, even when they themselves are disrespectful or hateful. I don't like quarrels, I don't seek them and I don't feed them. But the few times I spoke with mods about such situations they abused the powers they were entrusted with, either by favouring friends or abusive users, or moderating selectively according to personal bias, convenience and pride. It happened 3 out of 4 times dealing with mods - a very bad ratio of abuse of power by any account - but it serves to remind that mods are basically regular users who do certain things such as for example reporting other fellow users to meet a quota that qualifies them to be considered for the moderation team. Enough said.

So if mods can be unreliable, I really don't know if there is any efficient solution for the kind of situation you described, I just don't think the ability to delete other people's posts is that solution. The solution for most problems in the forums would ideally be good moderation or well-intended moderators with a sense of commitment and justice, or good ol' common sense and less vanity/empty pride.
But overall my experience in Gaia so far leads me to 2 sad conclusions: that in the case of some mods at least, the real reasons for wanting to become moderators may not have been the most noble to begin with, and the other conclusion I've come to is that abuse and bullying in Gaia is a reality that pacific/rule-abiding/good-natured users have to expect and endure because many times nothing will be done about it. This isn't to say it's not right to protest, only that one should not expect something good to be done about it and risk disappointment.
Like I said English isn't my language but I hope I could convey the general idea.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
Rhaego
dreamsk
OP should read the TOS. All of this nonsense could have been avoided if he had known what was reportable.

I reported the Incident!

Its been 3 months now. Moderators are too busy to deal with the report, they do not read pms or they do not reply at all. instead of it. they do have the time to give me a warning for reporting the incident Twice!

reporting the post for 3rd time would be an AUTOBAN!
and you know how hard it is to contest a BAN.?
it can take months, in some cases 1 year.

if you're curious and want to know what the remark is, the one i want it to be deleted.
the translation in english is more like " What that ******** is this?

@Gaia Staff give me the delete button. your moderators are busy. but i´m sure they find the time to come here to shut me up for any technicality.´ gonk
Well technically you were breaking the rules for spamming the report system...

Did you explain why it was offensive/trolling in the report? I dont really have any context to go on, but it doesn't really seem like just that statement is offensive.

You could have ignored the user too. You'll never see their posts again and they wont be able to post in your threads. wink
that slang in spanish is what bothers me, that remark was rude in the context.
I´m NOT really asking Moderators to penalize the user, since for some average native speakers, that Slang is not offensive because it's what they commonly use as part of their vocabulary.
yet for some other Native speakers that saying its considered "Vulgar" and Offensive.
i have nothing against the guy. this is not personal.
but what bothers me the most is Moderators Ignoring my request. 3 months of waiting.
what am i suppose to do when they refuse to address my concerns.?

Then you move my Gaia International thread into the Chatterbox, once my Topic is there i will be able to delete posts!

or better give me the ability to move my own threads into the Chatterbox.
90% of all misplaced threads go to the Chatterbox!!
dreamsk

Did you explain why it was offensive/trolling in the report? I dont really have any context to go on, but it doesn't really seem like just that statement is offensive.

You could have ignored the user too. You'll never see their posts again and they wont be able to post in your threads. wink

explain to me why moderators say they're too busy they say that my report is already in the queue and they want me to wait months. (currently 3 months)
if i´m impatient and decide to report it again, they see it and they do have time to warn me for supposedly abusing their Holy Report System instead of handle my previous reports.
Im sorry but from my perspective that is a WTF!!

say its not Trolling. okay. but it can be considered as a low content post. Spam.

having users on Black List will not prevent others people to see their posts. it will not prevent other people to quote their post.
Bring Up My Post 082814 833am

User Image
Bring Up My Post Ago.29.2014 0840hrs
@Administrators
User Image
Bring Up My Post Ago.29.2014 2131hrs
User Image
Bring Up My Post 083014 1042hrs

@Gaia Staff

I abide by your Rules, yes.
but Rules can always be re-written wink

Please gimme the feature i want heart
Bring Up my Post

/t.92370849_85/#85

Fallen
Ago.30.2014 1757hrs
User Image

Unsealed Member

I want the ability to delete this thread.
Bring Up My Post August.31.2014 843am
/t.92370849_85/#87

@ Gaia Staff

Please read my previous posts.

sadly i'm not allowed to retaliate
and i´m forced to use the ignore systems as a preventive measure.
i know that. just gimme the power to moderate my own thread, please.

Invisible Phantom

Delete them from your heart with the powers of forgiveness and love

Unholy Knight

10,575 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
there's always the ignore button

Dapper Shapeshifter

8,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Rhaego

having users on Black List will not prevent others people to see their posts. it will not prevent other people to quote their post.

Don't worry about other users. That's their problem. Don't worry about offensive remarks. People on Gaia see my avatar and call it "Chocolate Girl" and "Cocoa" on Towns 2. I just put them on ignore. Done. Can't stop flying, flinging morons.

And, the more you balk about whatever-this-is-you're-balking-about, you're just helping the offenders win by balking about them.

They did it. They successfully trolled you. Sorry dear, that's just how it is and that's how I learned to cope with the Internet. :c

Plus: As for the Forums, expect things you don't like to be said. Again, Ignore command performs miracles.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff