Welcome to Gaia! ::

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
abandoned_nr_19857864

They are trying, they have apparently released a bunch of gold sinks, if they weren’t doing that then they wouldn’t be trying. And if you don’t consider that trying, then what would you consider them trying? Yes, they are , and they probably need to fix the DC and other orafices to give out meager gold amounts. However, they are also trying to sink something before the gold generators return which is still good. Even a little effort on their part is good at this point. The fixing the orafices spewing gold is a whole other issue from what’s being suggested in this thread and to discuss it would be going off topic. This is about the event, which is a needed goldsink.

How is this a punishment? No one is being warned or banned, they’re trying to make a fun event which is in no way a punishment. Nor is it a hinderance. No but they can easily earn gold, as I pointed out earlier gold is worthless, and as you pointed out it’s coming out of every orifice.
Tsuki_Kirkland
abandoned_nr_19857864

They are trying, they have apparently released a bunch of gold sinks, if they weren’t doing that then they wouldn’t be trying. And if you don’t consider that trying, then what would you consider them trying? Yes, they are , and they probably need to fix the DC and other orafices to give out meager gold amounts. However, they are also trying to sink something before the gold generators return which is still good. Even a little effort on their part is good at this point. The fixing the orafices spewing gold is a whole other issue from what’s being suggested in this thread and to discuss it would be going off topic. This is about the event, which is a needed goldsink.

How is this a punishment? No one is being warned or banned, they’re trying to make a fun event which is in no way a punishment. Nor is it a hinderance. No but they can easily earn gold, as I pointed out earlier gold is worthless, and as you pointed out it’s coming out of every orifice.

I already told you what would be genuinely trying: permanently discontinue the gold gens - that's what caused the inflation to begin with. Please read my comment more closely before asking what I've already answered.

Putting out gold sink while releasing gold gens is very obviously nothing but empty gestures. It was very recently that they raised the gold output in the daily chance, which on one hand means new users gets more equal footing but on the other hand normalises outrageous sums of gold as pocket change.

It is a punishment in the sense that they very recently had a kickstarter gold sink for this event where users were encouraged to give as much gold as they could. Users who didn't sink gold then would have more gold to spend now. Further, new users who hasn't had the opportunity to amass gold for either kickstarter or event doesn't get a chance to participate in what's supposed to be a fun site-wide event.

When I joined back on 2006 I came in smack in the middle of the zerg event. Which, admittedly was confusing as heck since I showed up in the middle of the action with no idea what was going on, but I could still participate to the best of my understanding from the get-go while gathering gold for slowly dressing up my avatar.

So while I heartily encourage gold sinks, event participation should NOT EVER be depending on how much gold or cash you have. The events should be equally enjoyable for all users, new and old alike.

Timid Lover

yeah agree 100%.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
abandoned_nr_19857864

But If I recall right, they aren’t yet. And there is a point to putting out these sinks , the richer are putting their gold in and taking it out. So something is being done, even though you think there’s no point. So doing multiple sinks to get more and more out is punishment? I have to disagree, the more gold they remove ,especially if those modified gold generators haven’t been released yet the better .

No one is being punished , as you point out gold is easy to get so they can amass gold now to participate. Not to mention there are users in the event giving out gold to others and items they can sell for gold.Also, you don’t have to spend gold to participate so no one is being punished or hindered.

13,550 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
abandoned_nr_19857864

They're not trying, they want to look like they're trying. Which does not deserve praise. Really trying means following through the whole way, which in this case would be discontinuing gold gens permanently and lower the daily chance gold.

Yes, they basically just added charms to the choice generators, and pretended it was a new item. I don't feel finally fixing the problem they created in the first place, after users have complained about hyperinflation for approximately a year would deserve any praise either.

Devoted Informer

To me to event seems a bit boring. The games really aren't worth the prizes.

As for the pay to play, we need as much gold taken out as possible. Everything on gaia is bought and sold for gold, so it's not really a big deal that you pay gold for the event. At least you don't have to pay Cash, gold is free.

Unholy Spark

42,875 Points
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Tsuki_Kirkland
abandoned_nr_19857864

But If I recall right, they aren’t yet. And there is a point to putting out these sinks , the richer are putting their gold in and taking it out. So something is being done, even though you think there’s no point. So doing multiple sinks to get more and more out is punishment? I have to disagree, the more gold they remove ,especially if those modified gold generators haven’t been released yet the better .

No one is being punished , as you point out gold is easy to get so they can amass gold now to participate. Not to mention there are users in the event giving out gold to others and items they can sell for gold.Also, you don’t have to spend gold to participate so no one is being punished or hindered.
Using the Daily Chance and just the daily chance on a mule, it took me 1 week to amass 1 million gold. That's one large attack in the game. If a person doesn't spend money on GC to get large amounts of gold, doesn't know how to vend, or can't make art, they're kind of screwed. They might be able to do GC offers depending on where they are in the world. If they're unlucky enough to be outside the US, they could maybe get 20GC before the event is over. But hey, they might get a charm they can sell from the DC, though a heart charm is 13m, 13 large attacks, which miss half the time. Could get 27m from a star charm, but hey, that'll go fast too. Lucky people to get a diamond might be able to do the event comfortably. Of course people could go fishing or collect trash, but playing a game so you can play a game seems kind of... stupid.

So yeah, making gold isn't easy peasy for everyone. I think gold sinks are good, but they do need to come in moderation. I don't need to have some feature wanting to take gold from me every time I turn around. Can't save for quests. Can't get items, and getting items is the point. It siphons from the poor and barely scuffs the rich, and the rich is where the gold is hoarded. Basically, gold sinks like the one in the event don't effect the rich and screw over the poor. The rich will breeze through the event and the poor will struggle. If prices ever do go down, the poor will still be poor because of things like this, because that's where their gold's going if they want to participate with any success. Goldsinks can be a detriment to the enjoyment of a thing, and there are bad ways they can be employed and they don't need to pop up in everything.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Adnama Lavode

It may not be , but a week is not that long to make gold . Moderation is good sometimes, but as I believe I’ve already said getting a large amount out using this gold sink is good. Perhaps they can not do some for a while after this, but there’s no need for everyone to complain about them doing what users have been asking for while the gold generators were running rampant. If they can’t save for quests, that’s a user problem . And they can get items , as the only items have been the free handouts for the day ( The two masks) so that point is moot.

How do they not effect the rich? The rich are most likely the ones spending on this which is good as they have more gold that needs to go out. and no, the poor shouldn’t struggle if prices go down. There should be more items afforable to them , which is not struggling at all. It’s okay if you don’t like the goldsink from the event, but it’s needed.

Wealthy Wife

Tsuki_Kirkland
Adnama Lavode

It may not be , but a week is not that long to make gold . Moderation is good sometimes, but as I believe I’ve already said getting a large amount out using this gold sink is good. Perhaps they can not do some for a while after this, but there’s no need for everyone to complain about them doing what users have been asking for while the gold generators were running rampant. If they can’t save for quests, that’s a user problem . And they can get items , as the only items have been the free handouts for the day ( The two masks) so that point is moot.

How do they not effect the rich? The rich are most likely the ones spending on this which is good as they have more gold that needs to go out. and no, the poor shouldn't struggle if prices go down. There should be more items affordable to them , which is not struggling at all. It’s okay if you don’t like the gold sink from the event, but it’s needed.

I'm just replying to the bolded part.

The "rich" as we're called are not the ones spending on this. I played the spin game once, saw it ate 50,000 gold - made back 34,000-ish gold and quit. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't give a crap about this event (or any event since the Overseer vs. Sentinel era) and have yet to participate in a gold sink.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
krijgsdos

and then why give a darn about this one? They ‘re just doing what users asked for with a goldsink. we have no idea who may be participating but people are, which is the point of an event and goldsink.

Wealthy Wife

Tsuki_Kirkland
krijgsdos

and then why give a darn about this one? They ‘re just doing what users asked for with a goldsink. we have no idea who may be participating but people are, which is the point of an event and goldsink.

I don't care about the event. I just wanted to reply to your logic on the rich and how we're spending our apparent billions on it.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
krijgsdos
Tsuki_Kirkland
krijgsdos

I don't care about the event. I just wanted to reply to your logic on the rich and how we're spending our apparent billions on it.

That’s fine, but replying hasn’t changed a thing. I still think the event is fine except for a few tweaks not mentioned here and doesn’t need the overhaul the OP is suggesting.

Wheezing Star

15,050 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Crack Shot 50
Swipesy Cakewalk
The reasons for this being:

1. every aspect of it is pay to play. Even after we all dumped tons of gold into the kickstarter just to be allowed all of the games and stuff. Not cool. People who don't gave much gold are being excluded.

2. Even after we pay so much for the attacks, they constantly miss! I tried two or three times to do a mil-level attack and it never landed.

3. the wait is way too long. And the only reason it is that long is so gaia can try to sell a bypass for gcash. with a 5 minute wait, how are we ever going to be able to kill anyone?

4. As someone pointed out in another thread, it is impossible to tell who you have already attacked and/or when you can attack those people again without actually opening the attack window. And on my slow computer, that takes time.

What these four issues add up to is an event that is impossible to play. especially not with any spirit of competitiveness. I could play lowest level attacks and heals and go through the motions of trying to get whatever items are available, but it will feel so hollow.

I don't know what you guys were thinking. I know a lot of effort was put into turning out an event for the summer and I appreciate that. I love Gaia events. They are the highlights of my year normally. I just don't know why it has to be a gold sink when there is basically constantly a kickstarter going on.

but there are free attacks and heals. neutral and
I think they are trying to balance the economy back out after the destroyed it.

Quotable Ally

Okay. Yes, Gaia needs goldsinks, desperately.

BUT!

A major, sitewide event IS NOT THE PROPER PLACE FOR ONE.
Sure, sinking gold can be a part of it, but it should not be the ONLY FUNCTION OF THE EVENT.
It alienates way too many people because of how disproportionately high a "small" amount of gold is considered.

Making this event gold-only isn't going to do a goddamn thing to help the current state of the economy.
When a Kickstarter goldsink can remove over 150 trillion(?!) gold and not make a dent in the inflation, there's no way in hell this event is going to help any.

Not to mention all the items are in the ******** Cash Shop, big surprise there emotion_eyebrow

Eloquent Cutie-Pie

17,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
the fluff event was the worst event ever.
i hate the new window for every action thing. XP
domokun stargate

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas