- Posted: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:48:17 +0000
Please keep sending in your emails...we need more data samples.
Hi there everyone,
We’ve been hearing that a small (ok, tiny) percentage of you are experiencing some severe lags in our pages loading. We’ve heard reports of some ridiculously-slow page loads, like it taking 6 minutes to load a single page! Holy cow, nobody should have to put up with that! So we need your help so that we can help you back. This is mainly intended for those who are seeing it take multiple minutes to load a single page .
We need some detailed data about any super slowness you might be experiencing. Anecdotal comments like "it's laggy" or "around 2 minutes" or "it's super slow" doesn’t give us much to go on, nor does it tell us exactly HOW slow. We need to know in exact measured seconds, so that it’s really clear, we can investigate the cause, and hopefully fix it for you. So, if you’re experiencing VERY slow page loads (it takes more than 1 minute to load a page), then please take the following measurements and send them to us. If we get enough data, we might be able to make it faster for those who are having such an experience. I know it’s a lot of info we’re asking for, but we’ve been digging high and low for the cause, so now we need this much info to continue our investigations. Thanks in advance for your help in improving the Gaia experience for as many users as possible.
Note: We need the following test results from people who are experiencing EXTREMELY slow speeds only. IE: a Gaia page consistently takes longer than 30 seconds to load. It's looks like a wall of text, but it's really not -- and we'd REALLY appreciate anyone taking the time to provide us with your data. CLEAR YOUR BROWSER’S CACHE BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING TESTS:
Copy and paste the info between the lines and add your answers to the end of each line/question:
- Is the slowness on just certain pages or on all pages on Gaia? On other websites you visit too?
- If the slowness is on certain pages only, what’s the URL of the page you’re having this issue on? From the time you click a link to the time the page finishes loading, how many seconds does it take for you?
- How long has it been like this for you? (don't give answer in seconds! blaugh )
- Which OS version are you using? (ie: XP, Vista, W7 Ultimate, Mac OS 10.x, etc)
- Which browser and version # are you using? (version number is important)
- Is the slowness in just one browser or in different browsers too? Important: compare with both IE as well as Firefox (free from www.Mozilla.org)
- What’s the download speed measurement you’re getting from this speed test web site? Go to www.speedtest.net and click the “Begin Test” button. If possible, please include a screen capture of the results page since there's additional data on that page.
- If you know how to record a video of your screen (using cell, camera, or screencasting software), send us a video of how slow it is. A video is worth a thousand words! =)
- What’s the name of the company you get your internet service from? (ie: AT&T, SBC Globalnet, etc)
- What’s the type of internet connection you have? (ie: DSL, fiber optics, dial-up, smoke signals)
- What city, state, and country do you live in? Do not give us an exact address.
- What’s your username?
- For Windows users: Open up a command prompt and type in the following 3 commands. Each of the commands will display the route (path), test the connection speed, and display the test results. After running all 3 commands, right click on the black screen, and choose Select All. Then hit CTRL-C on the keyboard to copy all of it to your clipboard. Paste it into your email that you’ll be sending us below. Enter these 3 commands separately:
- tracert www.gaiaonline.com
- For Mac users: Mac OS has a slightly different command to test connection speeds. Open a new Finder window. Go to the "Applications" folder, and then open the "Utilities" folder inside that. Search for a program called "Terminal" and run it. It should have a black box icon with >_ in it. Input each of the command lines below and press Enter after each one.
- traceroute www.gaiaonline.com
Paste all the results into your email.
Please DO NOT post your answers here so that we can look into it. Instead, copy/paste the above info into an email and send it to usertalk at gaia online dot com (reformat before sending email). Make sure to put “Speed Measurements” in the Subject line so that we don’t miss your email. Thanks again for all your help! We intend on making performance improvements that'll minimize the # of users experiencing extremely slow speeds.