Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm sure they would make more money if they offered it to all of their users... which makes me think they CAN'T do it. Like most people have said, it's probably a licensing issue. They're not punishing other countries or just being mean.

Firebreathing Kitten

11,675 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tipsy 100
siskataya
Eerie Doll
said Gaia Online... NEVER.

Real nice of you Gaia to make items that only people who live in U.S can partake in.

Not just talking about the Tiger & Bunny CI but Mecha Neko in general for anyone outside of the states.

Your non-U.S users get left out a lot... pretty pathetic for a community website if you ask me.

Thanks so much for the feedback, and for letting us know how you feel about this!

We know that it can be frustrating for some of our International users to be unable to get into the Mecha Neko. Just so you know, in certain cases (for licensing reasons) we have to release items this way - it's that or not have them available, and we feel that it is better to have them on Gaia than not. Besides, they will make their way into the marketplace, and everyone can pick them up there. Please know that we like all Gaians regardless of where they live - the diversity of our members is actually one of the things we love most about this community. 3nodding

(FYI - Your thread made me laugh because I just helped someone from Australia with a billing issue this afternoon, and I thanked them for the purchase. So, in fact, Gaia *has* thanked Australian users for their money. hehe! 3nodding )

Be well ^^
Sisky

Thanks, I wasn't intending on being snarky, I was just having a bad day sweatdrop

Firebreathing Kitten

11,675 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tipsy 100
AKB0048
Anne Packrat
Eerie Doll

Yeah it's like this, I just think it would have been nice if they could have done some kind of free parody item for international users just to show that they aren't forgotten about.
Seems sometimes like they are.
I never said anything about not wanting Gaia to earn money, this is something that everyone is just assuming about me like I am some SF noob.
I understand how the site works, I understand how making money and making a profit works.
You've all just jumped to conclusions.

talk2hand

You're against them taking lucrative and user-requested sponsorships because they by law have to restrict the initial sale to US users. You want them to turn down something that will make them a lot of money.

If you want them to specifically make items for international users than you should update your opening post to reflect this. Making an item exclusive to Australian users is probably not going to happen as they make up a very small percentage of the site.

I like how no one pointed out that it would be a stupid idea in the first place. I mean c'mon. You partner with a company and then parody something involving their IP during the sponsorship. And seriously no one can see why this is a bad idea?

It would be a really fast way to not only burn a bridge, but also be potentially sued.

As in, it wasn't very smart to start an idea that on an international site, would end up excluding some of their international users?

I understand they need money to run, but they'd have to have realized it would rub some people up the wrong way?

Mysterious Trickster

Eerie Doll
AKB0048
Anne Packrat
Eerie Doll

Yeah it's like this, I just think it would have been nice if they could have done some kind of free parody item for international users just to show that they aren't forgotten about.
Seems sometimes like they are.
I never said anything about not wanting Gaia to earn money, this is something that everyone is just assuming about me like I am some SF noob.
I understand how the site works, I understand how making money and making a profit works.
You've all just jumped to conclusions.

talk2hand

You're against them taking lucrative and user-requested sponsorships because they by law have to restrict the initial sale to US users. You want them to turn down something that will make them a lot of money.

If you want them to specifically make items for international users than you should update your opening post to reflect this. Making an item exclusive to Australian users is probably not going to happen as they make up a very small percentage of the site.

I like how no one pointed out that it would be a stupid idea in the first place. I mean c'mon. You partner with a company and then parody something involving their IP during the sponsorship. And seriously no one can see why this is a bad idea?

It would be a really fast way to not only burn a bridge, but also be potentially sued.

As in, it wasn't very smart to start an idea that on an international site, would end up excluding some of their international users?

I understand they need money to run, but they'd have to have realized it would rub some people up the wrong way?

That's how all walks of life are. If every business cared how a product would "rub" people, they wouldn't be in the business for long.

AKB is completely right. Asking for a knock-off just after making a deal is complete asinine. It would certainly burn bridges, loose money and make it difficult for Gaia to get future sponsors, all because some wanted to have knock-offs in addition to the sponsor items.

It sucks, but you have to deal with it. Honestly, is it worth getting upset? No. As I said several times, at there is the option to buy off of the MP. If the sponsor items were truly meant for US-ONLY users, those items would be soul-bound to the accounts.
Could you imagine the absolute bitchfest that would erupt on Gaia if Mecha Neko items were soulbound? neutral

Honestly, as everyone else keeps saying, I don't know why it's really a big deal on the end, because those items are still obtainable on the market.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Patanon
I'm sure they would make more money if they offered it to all of their users... which makes me think they CAN'T do it. Like most people have said, it's probably a licensing issue. They're not punishing other countries or just being mean.

See, now, why can't people realize this? Even if you don't really have any knowledge of copyright laws, it only takes a minimum level of basic logic and common sense to realize that there's probably a bigger reason that Gaia is only selling these items in the US. Gaia loves money. Basic logic dictates that Gaia would not refuse a purchase unless there was a good reason. But no, people see "This store is not available in the US" and automatically think it's because Gaia hates international users, or some other reason that makes no sense in any universe, ever.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Eerie Doll

Gaia may be open to users in other countries, but it's a US-based site that's aimed mostly at people in the US. Gaia does care about international users, but they can't get around laws. The items are still available for everyone on the MP, and that's way better than not having them at all.

Also, do you even realize how hard it would be to make the items available for cash purchase in other countries? Mecha Neko items are only available for cash purchase in the US because anime comes from Japan. The Japanese companies that own the anime usually give licensing rights for different countries to other companies that are local to that country. We'll use Funimation for the argument here. Gaia gets a partnership from the Funimation branch that works in the US, but ONLY that company and ONLY that branch. Now, maybe Gaia can go find the companies that hold the rights in other countries. But that's a LOT of companies. And even if Gaia does decide to contact all of them in hopes of working out a deal, it's highly unlikely that all of them would agree. If I was running an Australian company that owned the licensing rights to, say, Fullmetal Alchemist, I wouldn't make a deal with Gaia. Why? Because Gaia is a US-based country. There are some Australian users but they make a small percentage of the site, and advertising on the site would be kind of pointless to me.

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Eerie Doll
siskataya
Eerie Doll
said Gaia Online... NEVER.

Real nice of you Gaia to make items that only people who live in U.S can partake in.

Not just talking about the Tiger & Bunny CI but Mecha Neko in general for anyone outside of the states.

Your non-U.S users get left out a lot... pretty pathetic for a community website if you ask me.

Thanks so much for the feedback, and for letting us know how you feel about this!

We know that it can be frustrating for some of our International users to be unable to get into the Mecha Neko. Just so you know, in certain cases (for licensing reasons) we have to release items this way - it's that or not have them available, and we feel that it is better to have them on Gaia than not. Besides, they will make their way into the marketplace, and everyone can pick them up there. Please know that we like all Gaians regardless of where they live - the diversity of our members is actually one of the things we love most about this community. 3nodding

(FYI - Your thread made me laugh because I just helped someone from Australia with a billing issue this afternoon, and I thanked them for the purchase. So, in fact, Gaia *has* thanked Australian users for their money. hehe! 3nodding )

Be well ^^
Sisky

Thanks, I wasn't intending on being snarky, I was just having a bad day sweatdrop

I didn't think you were being snarky at all to be honest - it did make me laugh! Not at your complaint or feelings of frustration, but because I literally had just helped someone from Australia when I read this thread.

Trust me, I think Australia (and lots of other places too!) is fabulous! There is a Sisky the Wombat item after all hehe! biggrin

Dangerous Visionary

Ryxios
Could you imagine the absolute bitchfest that would erupt on Gaia if Mecha Neko items were soulbound? neutral

Honestly, as everyone else keeps saying, I don't know why it's really a big deal on the end, because those items are still obtainable on the market.

You know they SHOULD do that next time. Just to spite EVERYONE.

Thieving Rogue

Quote:
(Due to licensing issues, we're only able to offer this CI in the Mecha Neko cash shop to customers in the United States. Sorry!)

Would you rather Gaia break contract and licensing conventions and get taken offline forever because of it? It's not Gaia's fault, how many times did all of us say this with the FMA CI? It's VIZ's fault, not theirs.

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Eerie Doll

No. I was refering to people who are like- why don't they make a knock off for interational users?

And, I think it's fine. Technically, the sponsor could go the extra mile and soulbound the items. It'd be within their rights. Everyone can buy it on the MP and the difference is no different than people who can buy cash versus people who can't.

Prophet

7,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Eerie Doll
Move to the United States.
We win wars.

Prophet

7,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sospel
Quote:
(Due to licensing issues, we're only able to offer this CI in the Mecha Neko cash shop to customers in the United States. Sorry!)

Would you rather Gaia break contract and licensing conventions and get taken offline forever because of it? It's not Gaia's fault, how many times did all of us say this with the FMA CI? It's VIZ's fault, not theirs.
+1

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces