Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demonic Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
The one time of the year where i look up for the halloween events, and it was executed terribly.I don't know how terrible or good last year and the year before that were because i was on hiatus, but every other event before that was great (Was not exactly a fan of the sin vs boo event, but the werewolf gro-grain and the pre-zomg battle were pretty great and memorable)

1: The first major problem so far is the fact that people pick what they prefer best, which is why demons are winning in the first place while most angels are dead. It's the same with kitsune vs tanuki. People prefer wolves over raccoons.

2: The second problem is healing spots. There aren't any which are safe. I remember in the pre-zomg battle we had subforums, and maybe other events too which had that, where only their race/team only have access to. In this event, since there aren't any, people are forced to take a large risk to ask for healing, and since most people are farming from healing spots.. well, yeah. not a good idea. The first two resons is why the angels are getting wrecked so badly..

3: Equipment. Why do we have LIMITED equipment!? especially for the scarf, hat, and weapon. It's literally first come first serve, and not everyone has the chance to join in the very first second the event was released. And even then, why 500!? there's over 20k people still on gaia, with different time zones that when the event was released, it could be 1 in the morning for them! Most people already raided all the items and now here we are, I am lacking on the weapons and 19.5k people are lacking on one, two, or three things because they were limited. It's already terrible enough i keep getting duped items with a CHANCE to get a limited item which is now all gone because there are no more items.

4: Bosses. Equipment is either used just to wear or, in this case, against the bosses. What does the bosses have? 300hp, does a TON of damage (Enough to take you down in roughly 2 hits, while you have 6 moves). Most people have roughly 4-5 items at this point and it doesn't help much. Did i forget to mention that there are potions? You're lucky to get them when crafting, since the only other way to get them is to buy them with cash.. eugh. Pay to play trash. Another thing related to them is why do we have to fight them every time we kill a bunch of angels or demons? We're not even prepared and you keep throwing us at them, completely naked just to die, get healed, die again, and keep going just to waste all your moves so you can go back to killing.

5: Switchem. Oh look.. i'm playing candy crush on gaia. It's decent, but after you beat a bunch of levels, if you try to play them again you get gold. So much for every kickstarter gold-sink. Another thing is we expect to get soul candy to get the items, not money. But it's too late now with all the limited items gone.

That is all. Next time learn from your more successful events that you've done before. If not, please don't even bother trying to do an event again. I've been here roughly three months and the two events i've seen so far deserve to be forgotten and destroyed. This isn't even your very first event. either, or else i would have accepted it and expect better from you.

Hoarding Hoarder

Trick or Treating in the shops is bugged.
Potions aren't granting.
You HAVE to wear the advocate items to get the buffs. They drop randomly, they're limited per day, and you are able to receive duplicates which is completely retarded for something you have to wear and is soulbound.
Bosses are nearly impossible unless you have cash. (Which won't matter because potions aren't being grant even when bought.)
Achievements are glitched.
Switchem from what I've read has a daily limit on candies too.

I only hope the list of things wrong doesn't grow. Tempted to just go to bed for the night and hope it's all a terrible dream that's fixed in the morning.

Hilarious Bear

16,600 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Rogue 100
This event was designed as a pay to play event to make Gaia money.

They are following the current model of gamification if you want to know more about what that is clicky but basically it boils down to make as money as you can as fast as you can until the game / money granting thing dies and then move on to the next money fountain.

Demonic Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
Nights-Rune

They are following the current model of gamification if you want to know more about what that is clicky but basically it boils down to make as money as you can as fast as you can until the game / money granting thing dies and then move on to the next money fountain.

But you waste something real for absolutely nothing. People would highly prefer getting the usual stuff like MCs, CIs, EIs, and whatever other type of items there are, I'm personally fine with the throwing gold part because even then you can get the money back from the switchem or whatever the game is called, but throwing real money for nothing is just too much, even if it's just 10 cash, because not everyone has the ability to get cash because not everyone has access to ads and offers that gives them cash in the first bloody place..

Hilarious Bear

16,600 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Joshua Kurayami
Nights-Rune

But you waste something real for absolutely nothing. People would highly prefer getting the usual stuff like MCs, CIs, EIs, and whatever other type of items there are, I'm personally fine with the throwing gold part because even then you can get the money back from the switchem or whatever the game is called, but throwing real money for nothing is just too much, even if it's just 10 cash, because not everyone has the ability to get cash because not everyone has access to ads and offers that gives them cash in the first bloody place..

I never said it was fair or right or good. I am mearly letting you know they following what has sadly become the industries standard way of working.

Neither you nor I are 'whales' (people with tonnes of money willing to throw at them) and as such are not cared about or considered.

Its a pretty sad thing but it really has become the norm. sweatdrop

Self-sustaining Simp

I do agree with you on 3(limited event items make me sad), but for 1, how do you suggest they do it differently? They've always allowed us to pick teams for team events and I've mentioned a few times in past events that Gaia picking a team for you would result in fairer teams, but no-one wants to be forced onto a team they haven't picked.

Rather than making an unpopular decision like that(which would piss off most people, imho), they need to work on making these events playable for the underdogs. Safe healing spots might help, but people would still be getting attacked on old posts(deactivating old posts in some way would not help either, It'd just make finding people to attack very hard at quieter times). My opinion is that they should have a brief immunity period for players who have just been killed(during which they could not be attacked). 30-60 seconds would give them a chance to heal and get back in the game without making it impossible to find people to attack.

As far as the cash aspect goes, it is very much optional. I've used cash once because I had 20gc sitting around on my account and haven't felt like spending cash would give me an advantage. They do have to make money somehow and I'm not against things like having a cash option to continue instead of waiting five minutes to attack someone again. We're not going to get events without a cash aspect and I think it's been done pretty well here.

For 5, I really like switchem and others seem to too, but it does start getting a bit too hard at level 8 or so. I'm not sure if it could be rebalanced without making it too easy to get soul gems from(which would make people less inclined to attack/heal at all), but if instead of giving soul gems every level the first time and gold after, it gave soul gems at random at a low chance regardless of how many times you'd played or something, it might be more worthwhile as something to play occasionally on breaks from fighting.

I understand your frustrations and share some of them, but Gaia has a relatively small dev team(whose skills likely lie mostly in web development) working on a pretty complex event game(battle) created at least in part by a dev who is no longer on the team. I love the battling system and hope they keep using it for events(has everyone forgotten the tedious "click around and refresh pages until you find an event token!" events we've had in past years?), they just need to work on tweaking it to a working basic, well-balanced standard that they can theme by event. It's something the devs need to have time to work on and test out all year round and I don't think they get a chance to do that.
  1. The event is supposed to hark back to Gaia's past when the Angelic and Demonic items were more or less a staple of what was being released for the first few years. Back then, angels were the s**t, yo. Now people are leaning more toward demons because... why not? Being "demonic" is more fun, now. It's a poorly designed reincarnation of what Gaia used to be in "modern" times to match our "modern" economy. lol

2. Piss poor cheap planning. That's all there is to that. To make safe-spot forums takes development time so they probably cut that corner. It's not an excuse- probably a reason. Though, that would only make the event marginally better, in my opinion.

3. But limited quantity items are fun! Don't you love those subpar items that find their way as "LQIs" that are only sold every 6 months??? (//sarcasm) It's their version of "rarity" and it doesn't belong here.

4. Wouldn't have an opinion. The first second I saw Gold prices were about 1mil I dropped everything. No, I am not playing Switchem or buying Gold Generators to "make up" my gold. It's unreasonable for Gaia to expect me to play a game or buy items to prepare for a game. It's frustrating and stupid that I would have to spend that much time or money on a crappy temporary event.

5. I can't stand that game and it's only out under limited release around the holidays, anyway. I'm not missing much by not playing.

The stupidly expensive Gold prices, having a Cash-to-win option, ignoring the Animal avatars, among other things, keep me from participating. I hope that having a shoe thrown about the mechanics and content of the Failoween 2k14 event will mean something better will come in the future.

I doubt it, but I hope.

Shadow Shadow

Last year's event was Jack vs the Easter bunny, and while there were hiccups in that, the battle system itself and Gaia giving out the GC stuff to make people bosses/invincible that event was awesome in how the battle systems was. No paying for attacks or heals, we just had a stamina bar that would recover over time, you could heal even at 0 HP, and there were safe zones for teams so that one side just won't be completely overwhelmed. Oh and you couldn't attack people from old posts.

I do not know what they were thinking for this event with no safe zones, limited equipment used to beat bosses, limited amounts of how much soul candy we can get per day, allowing people to even attack the oldest of posts, and paying to attack.
This is not a fun event at all.

Familiar Shapeshifter

17,125 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Brandisher 100
I have a tissue
  1. The event is supposed to hark back to Gaia's past when the Angelic and Demonic items were more or less a staple of what was being released for the first few years. Back then, angels were the s**t, yo. Now people are leaning more toward demons because... why not? Being "demonic" is more fun, now. It's a poorly designed reincarnation of what Gaia used to be in "modern" times to match our "modern" economy. lol

Too bad that most if not all of it is just cutesy lusty demons and tasteless cash-grab "artistic nudity".

Demonic Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
idleRAT
I do agree with you on 3(limited event items make me sad), but for 1, how do you suggest they do it differently? They've always allowed us to pick teams for team events and I've mentioned a few times in past events that Gaia picking a team for you would result in fairer teams, but no-one wants to be forced onto a team they haven't picked.

Rather than making an unpopular decision like that(which would piss off most people, imho), they need to work on making these events playable for the underdogs. Safe healing spots might help, but people would still be getting attacked on old posts(deactivating old posts in some way would not help either, It'd just make finding people to attack very hard at quieter times). My opinion is that they should have a brief immunity period for players who have just been killed(during which they could not be attacked). 30-60 seconds would give them a chance to heal and get back in the game without making it impossible to find people to attack.

As far as the cash aspect goes, it is very much optional. I've used cash once because I had 20gc sitting around on my account and haven't felt like spending cash would give me an advantage. They do have to make money somehow and I'm not against things like having a cash option to continue instead of waiting five minutes to attack someone again. We're not going to get events without a cash aspect and I think it's been done pretty well here.

For 5, I really like switchem and others seem to too, but it does start getting a bit too hard at level 8 or so. I'm not sure if it could be rebalanced without making it too easy to get soul gems from(which would make people less inclined to attack/heal at all), but if instead of giving soul gems every level the first time and gold after, it gave soul gems at random at a low chance regardless of how many times you'd played or something, it might be more worthwhile as something to play occasionally on breaks from fighting.

I understand your frustrations and share some of them, but Gaia has a relatively small dev team(whose skills likely lie mostly in web development) working on a pretty complex event game(battle) created at least in part by a dev who is no longer on the team. I love the battling system and hope they keep using it for events(has everyone forgotten the tedious "click around and refresh pages until you find an event token!" events we've had in past years?), they just need to work on tweaking it to a working basic, well-balanced standard that they can theme by event. It's something the devs need to have time to work on and test out all year round and I don't think they get a chance to do that.

There is a reason why i picked the everyone vs werewolves and the pre-zomg event, and the reason is the fact that you can actually join and switch to any team (With their own personal prizes). While pre-zomg did end in a stalemate, and everyone won against the gro-gain max werewolves, everyone had a chance to be on any side. which i personally think are two of my favorite halloween events i've experienced on gaia. Also the fact that pre-zomg had four teams, unlike most other hallowen events i've been in (Mostly two, but there has been other events which included four teams, like most summer events with the rejected olympics and the summer camp).

That i definitely agree with. It's just unfair in general, I can see people getting killed, then slightly healed, and back down to 0 over and over..

Yeah but at this rate they're literally turning any events into a freaking facebook game. I'm fine with the 5-minute-countdown since it prevents people you already attacked some space before you attack them again, but having the strongest attack to be cash is just terrible due to the fact not everyone has cash, all the equipment they need, or the luck against the boss they want to beat.

They could have just rewarded a very small amount of soul candy instead of throwing everything at them.

Yes, i know it is a small team, but the problem i'd like to point out is the fact that they are not looking at the past events and think of why they have been successful, and this isn't really the first test they've made. The first one being roughly two months ago with the summer festival event and even then i wouldn't be surprised if that was better than this event. (except item-related stuff.. eugh.. i hate that terrible bundle prize..)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff