Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mega Man-Lover

+[Skarekrow]+
Do they not realize the amount they'd make if a KS was only $10 or something?

10 dollars is too little, IMO. I think 25 or 30 dollars would be perfect since they're already sold at ridiculous times.

Fuzzy Kitten

Kaiba the Revenge
+[Skarekrow]+
Do they not realize the amount they'd make if a KS was only $10 or something?

10 dollars is too little, IMO. I think 25 or 30 dollars would be perfect since they're already sold at ridiculous times.
Yeah that would work as well.

Aged Gekko

FD, you manage to always have a way to express my similar thoughts regarding something on this site perfectly in your threads.
Anyway, I want to elaborate my thoughts on this whole thing.

-When I saw the announcement, first I saw, "We're releasing rares that people have been demanding to have directly released to shops for $15-$25 for a while now at outrageous prices that not only cater to people who can afford it which isn't a whole lot at this time but, we're rubbing it in the faces of people who quest for the item."

I say this because think about it. Do you really think if a person questing, say the Kitten Star, could afford to spend $50 on it, they wouldn't have it by now? I know most people who I've heard of spending that much on Gaia will buy RIG bundles, sell the individual RIGs, and buy the quested item with the gold they received that way. The way Gaia is making it seem, it's like people questing just quest for the hell of it, but have the money to buy whatever from the CS AT ANY TIME, resell in the MP, and then buy the quested item which is not the case at all. This is a huge ******** laugh in THEIR faces and it's BULLSHIT. $25 is a lot more affordable for people who have a low income who CAN'T buy RIGs/other items that often and resell but would still be a high enough price that there wouldn't be an absolute ton floating in circulation after this weekend with them only selling for a limited amount of time. It'd please a lot more people that way.

It also laughs at people who HAVE already invested a ton through RIGs to get these items. If they haven't gotten them, and say spent $100, of course they're going to be like, "******** it. I'm not spending anymore money on RIGs again. Why should I if there's a SLIGHT, very slight at that, chance that they may release it again directly to the shop?"
Oh! Wait! But this is just one of the examples of why these prices could end up costing Gaia more outside of the sale once it's over.

-The second thing I saw were the bundles. Yeah, Gaia, you're screwing yourselves over with this. Actual sale on the bundles or not, you think it's a good idea to piss users off by releasing recolors directly to the shop but then giving them a CHANCE at getting a NEW recolor out of a bundle? That's like adding insult to injury. Cleansing some rarity down, even if a little, and then adding more rarity does not give you a positive, Gaia. It gives you a negative because then, here we users are once again at the same ******** place as before. =/

And mind you, this is coming from a person who doesn't spend money on Gaia Cash. I say all this because of the people who I know that spend GC. However, I know many of them, when realizing 5000GC is equivalent to $50, their jaws just dropped to the ground. Oh, and it only got worse when they realized that was $50 for something they don't even own. I understand the whole trade-off/donation aspect of GC but, there has to be incentive. A majority of my friends that spend money on GC who wouldn't bash an eye at spending $50 on five RIG bundles are even appalled by this. The trade-off, while it keeps up with the trade-off according to the gold shops, is not a good trade-off for Gaia's standard of what gold is actually worth now.

3,150 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Flying Dicks
Gaia wants to make things so rare that they can sell them to us at a premium and act like they're doing us a favor. And knowing that... I just... my mind is so full of ******** right now. I didn't think you'd go this low Gaia.

I don't think this is what people were wishing for when they asked for items to be released straight to the cash shop.

Honestly, it's like they are mocking those who wished for direct to cash shop releases.

Invisible Cat

It's more a mp sale. People are willing to spend $50 on those items ,after all people spend more on a chance of a rare pet. The price of the items will drop. In a long run it more a mp sale.

Though I did wish they had other items off and re-colors.

Invisible Gaian

9,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
Flying Dicks
This is the endgame of artificial rarity. Gaia wants to make things so rare that they can sell them to us at a premium and act like they're doing us a favor. And knowing that... I just... my mind is so full of ******** right now. I didn't think you'd go this low Gaia.

Aaaand this really hits the nail on the head. The biggest defence I've seen for these prices is that "technically it IS a discount versus the amount of money you'd have to and some people HAVE spent to win it by chance". But that isn't a defensible situation either. Gaia has created a shitty deal in the past by design, and has (apparently successfully) convinced some consumers that because this new deal is comparatively less shitty than the original shitty rares-in-RIGs deal, it's good.

Classic sales ploy. Very clever, Gaia. Underhanded and unethical, but clever! I guess you can pat yourself on the back now.

When you factor in that they don't have to replenish stock because these items are potentially infinite, that there is no handling, no shipping involved, no new craftsmanship work required because the items are already finished and coded and digitally distributed, then that $50 per item is pure profit, too. How anyone could class that as anything but corporate greed is beyond me. The items are not exceptional quality, they are not inherently special - Kitten Star could just as easily be Kitten Turd. They have simply been manufactured into a state of artificial rarity and thus desirability by Gaia, apparently so that they could later come along and scam you into thinking you were getting a good deal later on, aka now.

What people want to spend their hard-earned money on is up to them, and if they find the items to be worth the cost, then by all means they should buy them. But why they're also pretending this is anything less than deliberately manipulative sales practices courtesy of Gaia Interactive Incorporated is beyond me.
MrsrachaelSnape
It's more a mp sale. People are willing to spend $50 on those items ,after all people spend more on a chance of a rare pet. The price of the items will drop. In a long run it more a mp sale.

Though I did wish they had other items off and re-colors.

If people are spending that much money, I highly doubt they'll turn around and sell it on the MP for a lower amount. The people buying these likely want them for themselves. Would you want to sell something you bought for $50 for a few million in fake money? I wouldn't. Resellers know how to make their gold, I doubt this will be it.
Kilarra
Flying Dicks
This is the endgame of artificial rarity. Gaia wants to make things so rare that they can sell them to us at a premium and act like they're doing us a favor. And knowing that... I just... my mind is so full of ******** right now. I didn't think you'd go this low Gaia.

Aaaand this really hits the nail on the head. The biggest defence I've seen for these prices is that "technically it IS a discount versus the amount of money you'd have to and some people HAVE spent to win it by chance". But that isn't a defensible situation either. Gaia has created a shitty deal in the past by design, and has (apparently successfully) convinced some consumers that because this new deal is comparatively less shitty than the original shitty rares-in-RIGs deal, it's good.

Classic sales ploy. Very clever, Gaia. Underhanded and unethical, but clever! I guess you can pat yourself on the back now.

When you factor in that they don't have to replenish stock because these items are potentially infinite, that there is no handling, no shipping involved, no new craftsmanship work required because the items are already finished and coded and digitally distributed, then that $50 per item is pure profit, too. How anyone could class that as anything but corporate greed is beyond me. The items are not exceptional quality, they are not inherently special - Kitten Star could just as easily be Kitten Turd. They have simply been manufactured into a state of artificial rarity and thus desirability by Gaia, apparently so that they could later come along and scam you into thinking you were getting a good deal later on, aka now.

What people want to spend their hard-earned money on is up to them, and if they find the items to be worth the cost, then by all means they should buy them. But why they're also pretending this is anything less than deliberately manipulative sales practices courtesy of Gaia Interactive Incorporated is beyond me.

Yeah...

Like I've said earlier in this thread, I am 100% sure Gaia did not have this planned out from the beginning, but with the way it worked out so "perfectly" for them one could swear they did. Although there is a level of demand which factors into the price and rarity of the item, people who pretend the artists don't know us well enough by now to know what we'll love and hate are just pulling wool over their eyes.
Supply is an essential part of the price equation, and there have been times before when some people have theorized that the artists actually manipulated the release rates AFTER the RIG ws released. I can't recall the name, but it was the one with dragons?

I'm worried that if all these supporters actually buy into this, that it will become a normal occurrence.

Beloved Elder

What I don't understand is why people are getting offended by this? As in, Gaia is obviously not marketing this to everyone. They obviously don't expect a 16year old with a paper route to buy it, or a college graduate working two jobs. rolleyes Ferrari isn't expecting a guy who lives in a trailer park to own their cars but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't sell their cars at ridiculous (yet totally acceptable) prices.

Don't drop the "It's $50 for a PIXEL item". Yeah, duh. People spend money on intangible items all the time. Spend $10 to go see a movie you're not really coming out of there gaining anything.
sodium
What I don't understand is why people are getting offended by this? As in, Gaia is obviously not marketing this to everyone. They obviously don't expect a 16year old with a paper route to buy it, or a college graduate working two jobs. rolleyes Ferrari isn't expecting a guy who lives in a trailer park to own their cars but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't sell their cars at ridiculous (yet totally acceptable) prices.

Don't drop the "It's $50 for a PIXEL item". Yeah, duh. People spend money on intangible items all the time. Spend $10 to go see a movie you're not really coming out of there gaining anything.

I'm not offended by this in itself. I'm offended by the tactics that lead up to it.

As well, if you look at demographic data, young teens and young adults are what makes up the bulk of Gaia's userbase, as well as people with a lower income level. Why shouldn't people be upset when Gaia ignores most of the userbase to market to a select few? People were upset when Alchemy did it, and now this is doing it too. Catering to the elite few, when there are thousands of other people that actually make the site what it is.

Why should people not be upset when they get blatantly ignored in favor of catering to the few top spenders on the site?
Flying Dicks
sodium

I'm not offended by this in itself. I'm offended by the tactics that lead up to it.

As well, if you look at demographic data, young teens and young adults are what makes up the bulk of Gaia's userbase, as well as people with a lower income level. Why shouldn't people be upset when Gaia ignores most of the userbase to market to a select few? People were upset when Alchemy did it, and now this is doing it too. Catering to the elite few, when there are thousands of other people that actually make the site what it is.

Why should people not be upset when they get blatantly ignored in favor of catering to the few top spenders on the site?

Aside from the Kitten star people are using as the only example.
Quote:

All of these are $50 and only available for one hour at a time.

Lobo the Gray Wolf - 15,900,000g

Fall of the Evening Star -7,900,000g
Princess Harmony - 5,990,000g

One Winged Soldier - 3,160,000g
Faustine's Bottle - 2,000,000g
Playful Succubus - 2,799,999g
Dante's Divine Verdict - 2,850,000g

Why are some things that are around the same price AND rarity as the $50 items but yet they are more reasonable at $20- $30? Like Lucie for example, thats near the same gold price as the Fall of the Evening star, right?

even taking into account the flux the market is always in. It does tend to lend weight that certain artists are forcing rarity.

Otherwise wouldn't they have some other strategy that actually would make Gaia more money than this??

Beloved Elder

Flying Dicks
sodium

It's not the most even or fair way to run a business, no. It's hard to tell, though. If they charged half the price, would twice as many people buy it? If they charged $10 would 5 people buy it?

Maybe it's just because I'm never too upset about what I can't afford when it comes to stuff besides bills, rent and food. I can't afford it. I'm sad. But good for the people that can/will.

I guess there's a difference between being upset and being offended, you're right.
Jayce Reinhardt

Aside from the Kitten star people are using as the only example.
Quote:

All of these are $50 and only available for one hour at a time.

Lobo the Gray Wolf - 15,900,000g

Fall of the Evening Star -7,900,000g
Princess Harmony - 5,990,000g

One Winged Soldier - 3,160,000g
Faustine's Bottle - 2,000,000g
Playful Succubus - 2,799,999g
Dante's Divine Verdict - 2,850,000g

Why are some things that are around the same price AND rarity as the $50 items but yet they are more reasonable at $20- $30?

even taking into account the flux the market is always in. It does tend to lend weight that certain artists are forcing rarity.

Otherwise wouldn't they have some other strategy that actually would make Gaia more money than this??

If not forcing, greatly encouraging and influencing certain items to be more rare than others.

As far as I know the artists do still set the RIG drop rates, as well.
sodium
Flying Dicks
sodium

It's not the most even or fair way to run a business, no. It's hard to tell, though. If they charged half the price, would twice as many people buy it? If they charged $10 would 5 people buy it?

Maybe it's just because I'm never too upset about what I can't afford when it comes to stuff besides bills, rent and food. I can't afford it. I'm sad. But good for the people that can/will.

I guess there's a difference between being upset and being offended, you're right.

I am a bit disappointed that Gaia does not try lower pricing to see how it would work out. It's one thing to start low and raise the price, people would expect the price to raise after the initial release. But to start high and possibly fail? If they try this again with a much lower price, people will be angry that they spent that much initially.

I think that if Gaia tried lower pricing, it would work well. I'll put it this way, if they had made the kitten star $10-15 I would have bought GC for it and I haven't bought GC in years.
Flying Dicks

I am a bit disappointed that Gaia does not try lower pricing to see how it would work out. It's one thing to start low and raise the price, people would expect the price to raise after the initial release. But to start high and possibly fail? If they try this again with a much lower price, people will be angry that they spent that much initially.

I think that if Gaia tried lower pricing, it would work well. I'll put it this way, if they had made the kitten star $10-15 I would have bought GC for it and I haven't bought GC in years.

Solia sold gold halos for $50 but that was in a yearly shop, meaning people had time to save up for it and it was available for an entire year.

Even with that, I heard the Admins say they didn't sell as many/get enough profit as they thought they would.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff