Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sarcastic Genius

Jaden Kazega
Jayce Reinhardt
Besides, if you think about it, most places make sales to increase business. Why are the gold gens discounted right out of the gate rather then items?

I don't quite understand this part of the question. I thought the real issue was, aside from prices I would say are too high for MS-paint-like pixels, the gold generators causing disarray in the economy? Isn't that the difference between this and your JC penny example, since JCP doesn't gave an internal economy (separate from real money) to balance out in the way Gaia does?
While Gold gens flooding the economy is the major problem, I believe the issue being covered here is the false "discounting" of items, listing them as "X percent off" from the start rather than setting a base price, selling them at that for a time, then having sales.

Or at least that's what I took from it.

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
I posted the math a few days ago, but one of Gaia's gold generators had always been at "70% off". When Gaia then claimed it was "80% off", it turned out the actual discount was only 33.3%. A 33.3% discount and an 80% discount are far too different, and it is in fact a scam. Gaia is really wading in murky waters.

Benevolent Feeder

I'd love to see someone actually sue them for this.
Gaia has become such a dishonest business.
gaia is not a good, intelligent, or respectable business.
they havent been for years.

the most gaia will do is not comment on it and wait for the users to get mad about something else, like they always do.
hell, they may release a 200billion gold generator to draw attention away from their terrible(and illegal) business practices.

Salty Aggressor

looool omg. Someone call the Attorney Gen in Sacramento pls.

Shy Poster

13,115 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100
Hiallina
Am afraid that they do have enough lawyers to fend off any accusation. Being virtual items created and sold by themselves may make this a little too grey.

I was thinking the same thing... They might could get away with it being the fact that people are pretty much paying them for nothing in return, since the items are all virtual and stay on the website. You don't even actually own anything you buy on here, which is the biggest scam of all. I would hope, though, that maybe there is some law that would extend to virtual items because I'm tired of Gaia's underhanded greedy crap. I'd like to see them get in trouble.

Sarcastic Genius

Jaden Kazega
Mystic Onyx
Jaden Kazega
Jayce Reinhardt
Besides, if you think about it, most places make sales to increase business. Why are the gold gens discounted right out of the gate rather then items?

I don't quite understand this part of the question. I thought the real issue was, aside from prices I would say are too high for MS-paint-like pixels, the gold generators causing disarray in the economy? Isn't that the difference between this and your JC penny example, since JCP doesn't gave an internal economy (separate from real money) to balance out in the way Gaia does?
While Gold gens flooding the economy is the major problem, I believe the issue being covered here is the false "discounting" of items, listing them as "X percent off" from the start rather than setting a base price, selling them at that for a time, then having sales.

Or at least that's what I took from it.

Oh Ok, yeah, that I did notice. I'd thought there was a law against such a thing, but... let me guess, "virtual items", right? =P
Pretty much.
Technically illegal from what I've seen/read, but the fact that it's "virtual items/services" can be used to complicate the matter.
I'm not sure how exactly, since business is business, but that's how it is.

Gaia is about dirty business these days, so I basically just stick around to watch the ship sink.
People making threads like this just gives me something fun to read while I wait.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

Honestly, with all of the stupid stuff they've been pulling recently and trying to get away with, I hope someone manages to pull attention to it. I hope the law bites them in the butt.

I sincerely want them to realize they're not invincible and immune to negative consequences for all the horrible, dishonest, and cruel things they've done to this site and its userbase.

Sarcastic Genius

Vickicat
Hiallina
Am afraid that they do have enough lawyers to fend off any accusation. Being virtual items created and sold by themselves may make this a little too grey.

I was thinking the same thing... They might could get away with it being the fact that people are pretty much paying them for nothing in return, since the items are all virtual and stay on the website. You don't even actually own anything you buy on here, which is the biggest scam of all. I would hope, though, that maybe there is some law that would extend to virtual items because I'm tired of Gaia's underhanded greedy crap. I'd like to see them get in trouble.
The fun thing about people buying Gold gens is that they're not even buying pixel art.
They're buying numbers. A counter, basically.
That's what amuses me most about the gens.

Cupcakesu
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

Honestly, with all of the stupid stuff they've been pulling recently and trying to get away with, I hope someone manages to pull attention to it. I hope the law bites them in the butt.

I sincerely want them to realize they're not invincible and immune to negative consequences for all the horrible, dishonest, and cruel things they've done to this site and its userbase.
Ahh, they'd probably just throw money at the problem and go back to business as usual. No lesson learned.

Determined Trash

51,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Confectioner’s Sweetest Confession 100
You're totally right, I learned about this in school ages ago. The memory is vauge but its there. I mean I guess they could be skeevy and say they're discounting off the general price of gold gens that they have set rather than particular items but thats a shitty thing to do, each thing should be treated as its own thing, otherwise they shoulda just kept the name the same... did I say that right?

Cuz with the way we;re getting flooded with 'deals' and how they're worded, an unsuspecting Gaian could read one and say "wow, they must have cost much more a few hours ago, 80% off is a great deal!" but when they're coming out of the gate offering the 'discount' its not a discount, its the original price because it didn't exist before then @_@

I think its important to point these things out because if they don't stop, we're gonna lose the website due to it, not just because they pulled the plug....
And what happens if somebody (or class action) successfully sues Gaia and because of all the legal problems, they closed or pending investigation, the site was made to close?
People would be left with no site to go to. Some people actually like this site in spite of the problems. Better than being cheated blind, etc? Need to score something for the little people? Sure someone wins some legal battle, but in the end, everybody could lose Gaia. That's the ultimate consequence.

That said, I do hope Gaia does realize that there is something that isn't so kosher with their practices and the marketing need to realize that they need to wise up or they will definitely invite some sort of retribution.

Eco-friendly Shapeshifter

21,915 Points
  • Hiss of Love 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Waffles! 25
I'm pretty sure they were pulling these shadier tactics along with the tos change to pose a decent reason to close gaia and focus on tentacl. With a good 'reason' - "Sorry guys we got sued so we shut down!" they can cut the loses of this site and focus on the site that was freemium out of the gate.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff