- Posted: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:38:10 +0000
Update as of 02/24/11
February 25th, 2011:
- The announcement has been pushed!
The Angelic Rod, finally, has been released!
Introduction: Why this thread exists
Gaia Fishing was Gaia's first game. It attracted many people on the site for many reasons. Some played for gold, others for the items. Some played to compete for the monthly trophies, and others just enjoyed the game and the friends that came from playing. Whatever the reason, Fishing has continued to hold a fanbase ever since it's release in late 2004. However, over the years the game has gotten little attention. Because of this, various problems have arisen that the community would like to see addressed because it is detracting from the experience of playing the game and in some cases, reaching out beyond the Fishing game itself. First will be presented the issues which we see as problematic. Following that will be our thanks for issues resolved recently as well as suggestions for the aforementioned problematic areas.
Small Note: This thread is about the bigger issues that the Fishing Community Faces. In case the powers that be do happen to see this, this thread has a compilation of the daily issues that we face on top of the ones presented here in Fishy Love.
Positive Feedback: The remaining parts of the Fishing Update
The announcement is still going out for some people as of this update, so you can see it here.
The long awaited announcement is finally here! With it comes public knowledge of the update we have come to love that was released in December (See section below for praise on that) along with the release of the legendary Angelic Rod! No word on the plus yet, but Gaia has finally come through with the biggest remaining parts of the update, thank you Gaia! The update for most people is now pretty much complete. Once we know if the Angelic Rod Plus is part of it, the vast majority of Fishers will be completely satisfied. As it is now we're ecstatic.
To make things even better since the Fishing landing page is not yet out, you can thank Panagrammic for making the Games Landing Page more multi-lake friendly. I do believe it is fair to say that we are definitely feeling the Fishy Love right now.
This particular issue has been a sore spot and problematic one for years now. Most people know about bots, and dislike them. They create many problems for those wanting to enjoy the game. Things such as clogging up the scoreboards, flooding the market with fish that should not exist, to even interfering with the chances of legit fishers catching rares with their masses of buckets. Even worse, they take this gold "earned" from botting these fish and put it into the economy. We would really, really like to see some kind of update to the game's security to actively hinder or eliminate botting. The CAPTCHA helps, but all that does is slow them down a little, and only by requiring them to spend a few seconds entering in the text before automatically fishing another bucket with no effort, and in half the time of a normal person.
Fixed: Hat Sellback
With the aforementioned item update, all items save those made with rare fish were given sellback values. Now we can finally sell the items, should we so desire, without settling for even less than what we would have gotten for the materials had we sold them back. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback: Fishing Update
While there is sadness, frustration, and anger over issues with the finishing of the update, on December 15th, 2010 we DID receive the single largest update the game has ever gotten. Included were 27 new fish (doubling the current number of non-rare fish), 97 new exchange items, exchanges for 3 aquarium fish, a known way to exchange for rare fish, and a bit of an alchemy system (You can find a list of all new things here, or a more comprehensive list in the first post of the guide).
To say that this update was great would not do it justice. From what we have of the update, it is purely awesome. The fish are generally considered to be as good or better looking than the older ones. They have movements akin in difficulty to previous fish, preserving the balance and skill factors in the game. The items are varied (no more hat only selection!) and often very nice quality. The exchange rates for them run the gambit from 100 fish to as high as 1200. Generally speaking, the items needed to complete the recipes are easily obtainable. All in all, the update was a masterpiece, and will be beneficial to the community and Gaia as a whole for a long time (once all of Gaia knows these things exist, anyway). So again, thank you, thank you all very much heart
The Fishing Community's Suggestions for Item Updates:
While the exchange update was superb, there are always more things to suggest that we would like to see. There has been lots of discussion about this in this very thread even, starting around page 138 and goes on for a few pages before mostly tapering off. We got some awesome things, some of which were even related to or on the list of brainstormed ideas below. The possibilities are pretty much endless, so we continue to offer suggestions of things, especially since plushies didn't make it into this awesome update.
List of specifically suggested items that don't currently exist:
- Armor (More is always good)
- Equippable Rods
- Equippable Bucket (Old Cans)
- Fish Slippers (We have bass now)
- Fish Bowls
- Striper Cloak
- Skins (Biter in particular, but all kinds)
- Fishbone Jewelry
- Worm in the ground
- Fish Balloons
- Fish in your mouth
- Bucket of Fish
- Fish Earrings
- Belt with Fish buckle
- Fish Ties (We have striper!)
- Contacts (More, varied fish eyes)
- Can of Tuna (Old Cans + Tuna)
- Palm Tree (From Gambino Fish)
- Lighthouse (From Bass'ken Fish)
- Sludge Pipe (FromDurem Fish)
Exchange rates for this latest update seem to have been handled well. However, we're always ready and willing to lend a hand with such things.
Since we know these can be tricky, below are some sample rates. Each of these would be applied to one item. That is, it would take the various amounts to make a single item, the ones you would want to be more valuable obviously taking the more difficult rates. It is generally assumed that all fish of a size (Small, medium, or large) are the same color in an exchange.
100 small fish (Current general standard)
100 medium fish (Current general standard)
100 large fish (Current general standard)
500 small fish
500 medium fish
500 large fish
1000 small fish
1000 medium fish
1000 large fish (For higher end items)
500 small fish + 250 medium fish + 100 large fish
1000 small fish + 500 medium fish + 250 large fish
5000 small fish + 2500 medium fish + 1000 large fish (For extremely special items)
Some Specific Example Suggestions:
Beginner/Casual Fisher Items
- All existing items
- Worm in the ground - 50 Guppies
- Lighthouse (From Bass'ken Fish) - 100 Guppies
- Fish Bowls - 200 Guppies (different colored ones for each color Guppie)
- Fishbone Jewelry - 50 Bass/Trout/Biters
- Fish Balloons - 25 Guppies, 10 Bass, 1 Striper
- Fish in your mouth - 100 Guppies, 10 Bass, 5 Stripers
- Fish Ties - 50 mediums (9 colors total)
Intermediate Fisher Items
- Equippable Rods
- Basic - 500 Guppies, 200 Bass, 50 Stripers (total, any color combination)
- Distance - 500 Seedkins, 200 Trout, 50 Tunas (total, any color combination)
- Strength - 500 Pebbos, 200 Biters, 50 Boldurs (total, any color combination)
- Performance - 500 Guppies, 500 Seedkins, 500 Pebbos (total, any color combination)
- Bucket of Fish - 600 Smalls (any color/lake combination)
- Striper Cloak - 250 Stripers (one color for each kind)
- Belt with Fish buckle - 250 Mediums (any lake/color combo)
- Can of Tuna (Old Cans + Tuna) - 100 Tunas + 500 Cans (one for each color Tuna)
- Palm Tree (From Gambino Fish) - 200 of each Seedkin
Advanced Fisher Items
- Fish Earrings - 2500 Smalls (one color for each fish in each lake, 9 colors total)
- Fish Slippers - 100 Mediums (one color for each fish in each lake, 9 colors total)
- Skins (Biter in particular) - 1000 Meds (one color for each fish in each lake, 9 colors total-skin would look like the fish)
- Contacts (More, varied fish eyes) - 2000 Smalls (one color for each fish in each lake, 9 colors total)
- Sludge Pipe (From Durem Fish) - 200 Larges (any color combination)
Pro Fisher Items
- Armor - 1000 large fish (one color/texture for each large, 9 total)
- Plushies! 5000 small fish OR 2500 medium fish OR 1000 large fish (one plushie for each fish in each lake, 27 plushies total)
These aren't the only suggested exchange rates, merely some examples of what we mean when we say we want items to take a little more effort.
We know that nothing is perfect, and that those at Gaia's Office strive to make the site fun for everyone. Priorities mean that sometimes things get left behind, or forgotten, and that's understandable. However, Gaia Fishing has sat on the backburner for a good four years now, and people would like to see it get a little more attention. We are thankful for those things that have been done, and appreciate them, but I think it's time that Gaia Fishing got a bit of the spotlight again.
Brief Summation/List of Current Issues:
- Update not finished.
For thanks and specific suggestions quoted from the thread, see the third post of this thread. It has been converted to hold those things that are related, but are not the heart of, the feedback and suggestions presented here.