Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sarcastic Prophet

The rampant inflation in Marketplace prices over the past several months has been detrimental to the community, even the wealthiest among us. No corner of Gaia has been left unaffected by this. Those who haven't purchased any gold generators are left behind in the dust in their quests for special items or art. Artists have had to raise their prices to keep up with the trends in the Marketplace. Members who have invested in Aquariums, and those who are responsible for their income by playing Booty Grab, cannot keep up with the trends in the Marketplace. Many other Gaians, well-versed in the areas of the site that they frequent, have made the fruits of inflation apparent to those who have read their posts. I'm here today to talk to you about the effects of inflation on charities.

For about three years now, I have been the Captain of the Newbie Supporting and Training Guild, or NSTG. We run a tight ship in the NSTG, with carefully-calculated budgets for seasonal events, contests, Towns parties, quest donation programs, charity sponsorships, etc. We are a non-profit organization, so our Crew are all volunteers who simply love to help others, and every donation to our treasury goes directly to our community. Aside from the friendships, assistance, and other resources that we offer for our members, money is an integral piece of that equation. Newbies need help getting started on Gaia, and experienced members need help in getting that expensive item, or in running their charity.

A year ago, a donation of 25,000g to a person on a quest was decent. If their desired item was worth, say, 500,000g, then that single donation covered 5% of their quest. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it was well-appreciated and helpful, especially if others helped and the quester was dedicated to saving up for that item. Now? 25,000g is almost laughable as a donation. Hell, 50,000g is almost laughable. Desirable items are priced in the millions at their initial release. We don't know how we're going to keep up with the economy when our yearly budget of approximately 15 million is no longer as helpful or as generous as it would have been just months ago. And I'm sure that smaller charities with smaller budgets are struggling even more at the present time.

It cannot be said that those against Flynnflation have purely selfish motives; that is simply false and a cheap oversimplification of the frustration that we all feel when looking at that special item, regretting not having purchased it months earlier. It is an oversimplification of the degree to which the current state of the economy has produced this terrible ripple effect on all of us, no matter what we do on this site: games, Guilds, seasonal events, houses, cars, the Arenas. The overall morale of this site is suffering grievously and believe me, your new members have noticed.

Even those who continuously purchase gold generators in order to be able to afford what's on the Marketplace will eventually become the victims of their own choices. It will cost too much real money to keep up with the soaring item prices, and nothing will be affordable. You say, Gaia, that you continue to release gold generators because there are people who continue to buy them, and that makes sense; but neither you nor them have considered, perhaps, that this will even negatively impact them when all is said and done.

Gaia, all I want to bring to your attention is this: The inflation that has come about as a result of the release of Flynn's Booty/Chest is not just affecting those who are questing. It is not only hurting the progress of those who want items for themselves. It is not only scaring newbies away from the Marketplace, the Cash Shop, and Gaia as a whole. It is also negatively impacting those who want to help others acquire desired items; it impacts those who want to help new Gaians acquire some degree of financial independence. Please -- help us help others.

Edit: Please check out this amazing TED Talk by Amanda Palmer on the art of asking for, rather than making people spend, money.

Aged Codger

I don't think they give a crap about new users. They're trying to milk the existing ones for whatever money they're willing to give. This is not a friendly place for newbies and I think the people in charge know it and don't care.

Sarcastic Prophet

I agree that Gaia is becoming an increasingly-unfriendly place for newbies, but I'm not sure if I agree that Gaia doesn't care about new members. I can't recall in which Site Feedback thread I read this a few weeks ago, but the topic creator was spot-on when they said that Gaia is a site that cares about raking in new players that are potential customers to counterbalance any paying customers that are quitting or losing interest. If a newbie who has some money to spend on a form of entertainment comes to Gaia, sees the state of its economy, and realizes that s/he will have to spend lots of money on a monthly basis to keep up with high Marketplace prices, they're going to lose interest and spend their money elsewhere. If desirable items are a challenge to acquire, but still a reasonable challenge, then that will attract the most new members.

Annie Felis
I don't think they give a crap about new users. They're trying to milk the existing ones for whatever money they're willing to give. This is not a friendly place for newbies and I think the people in charge know it and don't care.

Aged Codger

Ebania
I agree that Gaia is becoming an increasingly-unfriendly place for newbies, but I'm not sure if I agree that Gaia doesn't care about new members. I can't recall in which Site Feedback thread I read this a few weeks ago, but the topic creator was spot-on when they said that Gaia is a site that cares about raking in new players that are potential customers to counterbalance any paying customers that are quitting or losing interest. If a newbie who has some money to spend on a form of entertainment comes to Gaia, sees the state of its economy, and realizes that s/he will have to spend lots of money on a monthly basis to keep up with high Marketplace prices, they're going to lose interest and spend their money elsewhere. If desirable items are a challenge to acquire, but still a reasonable challenge, then that will attract the most new members.

Annie Felis

Really? If that's the case, they're doing a bad job. D: I can't imagine new people wanting to stick around this site if they have any interest in the dressup part of it.

Sarcastic Prophet

Yeah, you're totally right. The dressup aspect is probably the most attractive thing to a newbie, and right now, the state of the economy is anything but appealing or inviting.

Annie Felis
Really? If that's the case, they're doing a bad job. D: I can't imagine new people wanting to stick around this site if they have any interest in the dressup part of it.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
I actually found a way to donate to new Gaians that have been working. Honestly they don't care or even know about the marketplace or exchange. I know I didn't when I started. I've had fun going into the Welcome to Gaia forum meeting new Gaians and giving them old event items and gold shop items. Basically items don't need to be expensive to bring a smile to someone's face. smile

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
Annie Felis

I have been complaining about this for months now (on my main account)

Sarcastic Prophet

You're absolutely right! For someone getting started, even a little donation can make their day or make their stay on Gaia worthwhile. What I'm saying is that, a year ago, a standard donation given to a newbie from my guild's treasury meant a little bit more in helping them get on their feet and acquire the items they had on their wishlist and made their day.

Scobre
I actually found a way to donate to new Gaians that have been working. Honestly they don't care or even know about the marketplace or exchange. I know I didn't when I started. I've had fun going into the Welcome to Gaia forum meeting new Gaians and giving them old event items and gold shop items. Basically items don't need to be expensive to bring a smile to someone's face. smile

Sarcastic Prophet

As I said before, I can definitely see how this perception of Gaia is valid, but I do think that Gaia cares about bringing in new users (provided that they spend some money at some point). Again, whether or not it seems as though Gaia genuinely cares about the newbie population... well, that's another story.

Lord Elwrind
Annie Felis

I have been complaining about this for months now (on my main account)

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
Ebania
You're absolutely right! For someone getting started, even a little donation can make their day or make their stay on Gaia worthwhile. What I'm saying is that, a year ago, a standard donation given to a newbie from my guild's treasury meant a little bit more in helping them get on their feet and acquire the items they had on their wishlist and made their day.

Scobre

I think gold generators have killed questing for a lot of people, why I don't even bother questing anymore. Gold is worthless now. It's sad inflation has gotten so bad. I hope you are able to find way to keep your guild going. Maybe buy items when they are rereleased and store them? They tend to be cheaper when rereleased. I guess find the best of a bad situation if you can.

Sarcastic Prophet

I completely agree. Our plan is to go with our budget as we established it at the beginning of the year, and hope that this bubble bursts soon. Perhaps we'll have less prizes/donations that are worth a little more. smile Thank you for the well wishes; they mean a lot.

Scobre
I think gold generators have killed questing for a lot of people, why I don't even bother questing anymore. Gold is worthless now. It's sad inflation has gotten so bad. I hope you are able to find way to keep your guild going. Maybe buy items when they are rereleased and store them? They tend to be cheaper when rereleased. I guess find the best of a bad situation if you can.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
Ebania
I completely agree. Our plan is to go with our budget as we established it at the beginning of the year, and hope that this bubble bursts soon. Perhaps we'll have less prizes/donations that are worth a little more. smile Thank you for the well wishes; they mean a lot.

Hang on, I send you some stuff for your charity. Buying some of the new gold shop updated things too for it. Ok trade sent.

Sarcastic Prophet

Oh my goodness, you did not have to do that! That is so sweet; thank you so much! emotion_bigheart emotion_kirakira

Scobre
Ebania

Hang on, I send you some stuff for your charity. Buying some of the new gold shop updated things too for it. Ok trade sent.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
Ebania
Oh my goodness, you did not have to do that! That is so sweet; thank you so much! emotion_bigheart emotion_kirakira

Scobre
Ebania

Your welcome and it's fine. Gold is worthless to me now. I just play zOMG! for fun and to hang out with friends. I know it's not much, but I hope you helps your guild out.

Intergalactic Sweetheart

Annie Felis

Not true. This place is very welcoming to newbies with big wallets.

Sorry OP but the Phony King of England doesn't care about inflation. There is a theory going around that he wants more and more inflation so people have no choice but to spend more money so they can afford anything here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff