Welcome to Gaia! ::

Help support this idea! Bump the thread when you find some item that has a tagging issue xd

Update: now that Tektek is going down, tags are our only hope... PLEASE FIX THEM!

We've all had that time.. "Ooh that item looks gorgeous" "Wait, how do I find it?"
What if... we could actually search for it in MP by color and poses and we could actually find it?

Tagging item system suggestion - Crowd-sourcing

For now, we can find items that we do not own in several ways
a) via someone's equipped list
b) search function in MP/dressup
c) tektek or by threads if the item is new

Problem: We can't always find the item. Or we don't know it exists because search fails.

Current status:
1. Tags on items inconsistent/incomplete
e.g. some have colors, some have just the name, some names' links are broken, some have the features (like scarf, glasses, etc)
2. Tags are tagged in headquarters as the item is released.

Suggested:
Implement a system where Gaians can help to tag the item à la Wikipedia's crowdsourcing.

How?
1) Via Inventory (for those who own the item)
When you click on an item, add 2 additional buttons 'Suggest Tag' and 'Vote Tag'. Suggest Tag would allow you to enter in free form text with tags separated by commas. Duplicated suggestions would count as a vote for that suggestion. Vote Tag would give a list of suggested tags sorted by ranking - you can either Like or Dislike the tag. Once a tag amasses 30 (Likes minus Dislikes), it will automatically be added to the list of tags on the item. If it falls below this number, it will be removed.
2) Via marketplace (for everyone)
Similar to via inventory method, but with a higher threshold for the number of people liking it to prevent mischief.
3) Via tag assistants (appointed by Gaia)
Wherein these people can add tags without going through the voting system.
4) Tag Liaisons (appointed by Gaia)
Where if a tag does not work for some strange reason (just try searching 'Beyond') they are able to escalate technical difficulties to the developers.

I would think that the voting system would work well for items that are older, and tag assistants can keep up with new items.

If you want to show support.. <3 this thread, maybe it will get more attention xd Thank you!

More suggestions!
Yorugami

p.s. maybe (not sure since I don't know coding at all) do something
like tumblr and make certain tags "followable" so a user
can be updated when a new item is added to the tag?

spunglass
Maybe they could add a sort-by first appeared date in MP

Update!
Staff commentary during AtS:
"This is a good idea and is something we had been considering. The problem was of course how to ensure that the tags being input were legit. I think this is totally worth revisiting, especially with how quickly we release items."
Items not searchable by name

Misc
User ImageUser Image

Beyond series (all), the tag "Beyond"
User Image User Image User Image User ImageUser Image User Image User Image User ImageUser Image User Image User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Mack Jocobi series (partial)
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Shibuya Nobody series, the tag "Nobody"
User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Between the Devil and the __ sea, the tag "Between"

Partial Typos
User ImageUser Image

Missing original name
User Image

"Sketchbook" fixed
User Image

"Flora"
User Image
[url=][img][/img][/url]

Other lists of known bugs
Dating back to Jun 2013

Celestial Dog

an absolutely lovely idea. this would make things so much easier.

Angelic Blob

Would spend my days doing this with no complaints.

Thirteenth Bunny

4,650 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Millionaire 200
I'm all for this...it's so infuriating trying to find the Beyond items in the marketplace with the tagging system as it is now

Impassioned Misfit

I love it. I'd gladly sink time into this going through my inventory. Tagging is currently atrocious, especially considering sometimes things have vanishing tags. If something like this were to materialize, we should have a sort of Tagging Nexus so we can rally everyone and get s**t done. We could have themed weeks where we, say, go through old RIGs and rejuvenate their tags, go through old MCs, etc. I love this idea so hard!

spunglass's Fav

Hostile Genius

cool Awesome idea, plus the tags are influenced by the actual gaian community~
Gives people something to do hahaha xD
*coughs* And ofcourse---
Gives a chunk of work off Gaia's hands rofl

Brainy Kitten

17,775 Points
  • Team Carl 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
This is great. It's so frustrating not being able to find anything in the MP through searching.

Invisible Gaian

14,525 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • 1 Win 50
  • PvP 200
Maybe they'll just do away with the MP altogether once gold becomes completely worthless. Then they won't have to worry about updating these tags. I don't think they care about the MP anyway, since they aren't getting a piece of the action. They want people to pay cash. I notice on their other site (tentacl) there is no MP (not to mention no site feedback forum either). It says something about their priorities.

Thirteenth Rogue

Sounds good! 3nodding

Though am not sure it's possible to have someone as a Tag Liaison... they seem to be understaffed, but being about to report tags is a must (as with the rest of the site's features).
Hiallina
Sounds good! 3nodding

Though am not sure it's possible to have someone as a Tag Liaison... they seem to be understaffed, but being about to report tags is a must (as with the rest of the site's features).

I was actually thinking of a volunteer similar to mods that would compile problems in a useful list for devs. Though a stickied thread somewhere (bug reports?) that someone actually went through would work too.

Prophet

love this idea exclaim +1

Familiar Shapeshifter

17,125 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Brandisher 100
add the inclusion to use -(tag) to lessen up item searches and it's godlike.

But to be honest, they should spend a good time tagging their s**t before they release it just to avoid this problem.

Sir Schmerz's Husband

Thieving Sex Symbol

35,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Now this is a great idea.

Benevolent Feeder

You know, I think this is a great idea and have had similar thoughts on it myself.
Never suggested it because I doubted they would find the time and generosity to do it though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff