Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Would you like for Gaia to create a Health & Fitness forum?

Yes, and I would use it 0.45045045045045 45.0% [ 50 ]
Yes, but while I wouldn't use it, others would benefit from this type of forum 0.3963963963964 39.6% [ 44 ]
No, because I don't see such getting much use by me or others 0.081081081081081 8.1% [ 9 ]
No. 0.072072072072072 7.2% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 111 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Firestarter

18,450 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
siskataya
Abbacus
Yes! I want this so badly. I'm on my own weight loss path as of late. I can't do much hardcore exercise due to my asthma (it's a bothersome variety that is triggered by physical activity, hence why my weight has been a problem most of my life) but I've been taking 20+ minute walks with my dog every day, and that's been working wonders for me. <3

Awesome! So glad you are finding ways to get out and about. Asthma is a tricky issue when it comes to exercise, but perhaps you can talk to your doctor that can help you build up a fitness plan that will minimize potential asthma attacks while letting you get more activity in. Either way, glad you're excited about this forum - I am too! biggrin

Sisky
i did NOT think about that. My boyfriend states having minor difficulty breathing when trying to run longer distances, so regimens for those with asthma or other breathing difficulties would be a good thing to discuss.

Angelic Senshi

I for one think it would be a great idea to have on the site. A single thread can only do so much, especially when you have six topics going on at the same time under the same genre. Weight Loss is the genre but then you branch off into things like whether or not Zumba is the best way to go, what's better P90X or Insanity, is using the Wii or Kinect with one of those fitness "games" really a proper exercise regime, what brand of walking poles are good for someone with a tight budget, how to find the right running club, and tips on choosing a personal trainer if you can afford that route. That's where I do think a forum would serve the community better. Of course, there will have to be a sticky to remind people that before any major diet and exercise plan people should consult their doctor and to always read and follow the manufacturer's directions for any at home fitness product and dietary supplement.

Junior Nerd

5,550 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
siskataya
sodium
I almost want to say it should be a Hot Topic for a while. A health+Fitness forum would be great~.
And that's coming from a lazy sack of bones. emo *really needs to start up running again*

Cool idea! Maybe we can launch it as a hot topic first, then make it a regular forum. We shall see! And yes, you should get running again - I'm jealous! I cannot run well - it kills me every time gonk

You guys might want to very carefully consider the pros and cons of starting it in the Hot Topics though. Yes, putting it there increases the chances of people realizing that the new subforum exists. But, it also DRASTICALLY increases the amount of trolling and spam that it would receive because it's so visible. Since health is such a personal issue I feel like you would want to take as many persuasions as possible to keep trolling out of a subforum on what, to some people, may be a sensitive issue.
(And I'm not even planning on using this subforum if it gets made, I'm just trying to look out for those who would like to use it.)

Firestarter

18,450 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
I would use it for sure but, yeah, the trolls would move in fast

Firestarter

18,450 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Chibi Halo
          Of course, there will have to be a sticky to remind people that before any major diet and exercise plan people should consult their doctor and to always read and follow the manufacturers directions for any at home fitness product and dietary supplement.

This is ABSOLUTELY necessary

Firestarter

18,450 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Romantic Lover

13,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
I love this idea! I'm so close to reaching my final goal of 135 that any more helpful tips or any extra encouragement would be great.

The only thing I'm worried about with a forum like that is the trolls. We'll need some pretty dedicated mods for a forum that has to do with body image and health because trolls love to pick those things apart.

Firestarter

18,450 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
npulse
I love this idea! Im so close to reaching my final goal of 135 that any more helpful tips or any extra encouragement would be great.

The only thing Im worried about with a forum like that is the trolls. Well need some pretty dedicated mods for a forum that has to do with body image and health because trolls love to pick those things apart.
Yeah. I am hoping for that...

Apocalyptic Deadeye

18,650 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Conventioneer 300
I might as well throw in my two cents to this SF thread:

As of late, I've kinda fallen off the exercise wagon and jumped to 137 lbs. instead of staying at 115 lbs. [Go figure that I gained 12 lbs. in college] More or less, it would be nice to at least have a thread to motivate users to get back in shape as well as get encouragement from users to keep pushing towards their weight loss goal.

Hoping to get down to at least 115 lbs. by post-finals week for a convention, maybe 107 lbs. by end of the summer if I'm lucky. Who knows? I might be able to run without having difficulty breathing as well.

Firestarter

18,450 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
bumping while gaia hacks the planet.
I would really like this. I've been exercising lately (not as much to lose weight but just more to deal with stress and feel better) and I would love to be able to have a concentrated place in which to possibly get all kinds of information:

• Type of exercises, which exercises best tone parts of the body, best exercise combos
• Best way to curb certain cravings
• Diet plans/food substitutes
• Tracking calories
• Alternate methods of exercising (salsa, yoga, palates, tai chi (<---would especially like), etc.)
• Best music for certain exercises
• Mental exercises, like meditation
• Exercising accessories: machines, clothes, wrist weights, those shaker weight thingies...etc.
• Running
• Cardio-workouts vs. muscle toning

Already I can just think of all the cool things I could learn about... emotion_drool And to have a whole forum community to relate to would be just all the better.

Firestarter

18,450 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Speaking of - I would love to take up tai chi emo
Cecilia Wolfram Davidson

IKR! emotion_yatta

EDIT: sorry, now I changed your house sweatdrop sweatdrop

Firestarter

18,450 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
ChrisJS
Cecilia Wolfram Davidson

IKR! emotion_yatta

EDIT: sorry, now I changed your house sweatdrop sweatdrop
Eh, whatever. Anything to help get people to our side on this forum idea :v

Though I might suggest that, for sticky purposes, that advertising of services be emphasized as reason for a warning and that, for privacy reasons, the common sense notion of not giving away personal info or addresses in the forum be sadly restated

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff