Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Lunatic

I personally would like to get the Conventioneer Achievement but I'm not planning on attending any cons in the near future.
    However, I did attend Otakon in 2008 and was at the Gaia Panel.
    While at that particular Gaia Panel I received codes to redeem Gaia items and did just so.
    Unfortunately, the Achievement System wasn't released until 2010.
    Personally, I think that because I have already attended an IRL Gaia-related event that I should be rewarded with the Conventioneer Achievement.

I believe that the Conventioneer Achievement should be updated to automatically check for past code redemptions from IRL Gaia-related events.

Vicious Hellraiser

13,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Threadmaster 200
If it's actually possible for them to check for past code redemptions, sure, that would make sense.

Though, if they don't actually have a log on-site from that long ago of such a specific detail ( and, I'm gonna' level with you: I don't think they would ) then that's not really an option. And I think they would have done that if they could have, to begin with.

Hallowed Shapeshifter

Personally....
While I think it would be nice of them to do... I dont really see the need for it.

So you went to a con in the past, good for you, you got the reward that was due at that time. Just because there is a new reward for them now does not mean you should automatically get that as well.

Questionable Hero

24,325 Points
  • Healer 50
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Hunter 50
I'm all for retroactive grants.
Not sure if it's possible with Code Redeems, but hey, maybe.

Timid Lunatic

[ R ]
If it's actually possible for them to check for past code redemptions, sure, that would make sense.

Though, if they don't actually have a log on-site from that long ago of such a specific detail ( and, I'm gonna' level with you: I don't think they would ) then that's not really an option. And I think they would have done that if they could have, to begin with.

I actually disagree with you on Gaia being smart enough to think of checking for past redemptions.
    However, I do agree with you in doubting that they have a log of such information, which is unfortunate.
    If they are unable to check for past redemptions, then I'm sure there's some other way to figure this issue out.

Gabriella Ellenor
Personally....
While I think it would be nice of them to do... I dont really see the need for it.

So you went to a con in the past, good for you, you got the reward that was due at that time. Just because there is a new reward for them now does not mean you should automatically get that as well.

Would you rather current con attendees simply pass out, or even sell, the codes to people to didn't even attend a previous event?
    At least give the people who attended a Gaia event proper credit.

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

Gabriella Ellenor
Personally....

Exactly this.
I personally think it is really unfair to ask for an award now, before the achievement was even put in place.
And honestly; comes off as a little silly.

I have practically no chance of ever being able to get the achievement as I am in Australia,
but if I went to one before they introduced the achievements, I am not entitled to ask for it.

Vicious Hellraiser

13,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Threadmaster 200
An Undead Sin
    If they are unable to check for past redemptions, then I'm sure there's some other way to figure this issue out.

Not.. really? I mean, if they don't have a log, then they don't have proof. And if they don't have proof, then they've got nothing, and-- unfortunately-- that'll just be one of those situations where life isn't fair and people who attended pre-achievement conventions won't be able to get the achievement based on those.

I mean, if you're sure and you actually know a way other than checking previous logs which most likely don't exist, then I'd love to hear it. But otherwise.. Ehhh?

Hallowed Shapeshifter

An Undead Sin
Would you rather current con attendees simply pass out, or even sell, the codes to people to didn't even attend a previous event?
At least give the people who attended a Gaia event proper credit.

If thats what the current people want to do, then sure. More power to them.

People that attended the events in the past got their credit, in the past.... where it belongs.
By the retro logic, people like me should automatically have the achievements for logging in for how ever many days. After all, its only fair cause we were here in the past before those achievements were ever made/thought up, right?

To me, its like a sale at a store. Just because you bought something one day and then it goes on sale the next does not mean you deserve the sale price. You got it in the time frame when you got it, and if you want the new 'special' then you have to partake in the event during the new 'current' time frame.

Timid Lunatic

[ R ]
Not.. really? I mean, if they don't have a log, then they don't have proof. And if they don't have proof, then they've got nothing, and-- unfortunately-- that'll just be one of those situations where life isn't fair and people who attended pre-achievement conventions won't be able to get the achievement based on those.

I mean, if you're sure and you actually know a way other than checking previous logs which most likely don't exist, then I'd love to hear it. But otherwise.. Ehhh?

Gaia could always check members' inventories for the Gaia-Con items, check post histories and/or journal entries for mentionings of attending a Gaia event.
    The latter shouldn't be too had on Gaia's end.

Gabriella Ellenor
If thats what the current people want to do, then sure. More power to them.

People that attended the events in the past got their credit, in the past.... where it belongs.
By the retro logic, people like me should automatically have the achievements for logging in for how ever many days. After all, its only fair cause we were here in the past before those achievements were ever made/thought up, right?

To me, its like a sale at a store. Just because you bought something one day and then it goes on sale the next does not mean you deserve the sale price. You got it in the time frame when you got it, and if you want the new 'special' then you have to partake in the event during the new 'current' time frame.

I do see your point and it does make sense.
    However, logging in every day is a lot simpler than attending an IRL Gaia event.
    The last convention in general that I, myself, have been able to attend was Otakon back in 2008.
    Haven't been able to attend since; and it's right here in my hometown!
    The Conventioneer Achievement is the one of the hardest to get because of the fact that there are many members unable to attend such events.
    I personally believe that those who were lucky enough in the past to attend should be rewarded for attending, especially since some of them may not be able to attend for years to come (if ever again).
    Now, I haven't heard anything from Gaia's perspective, but I wouldn't think that they'd approve of the sharing of codes that are specifically meant for a select few.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
When achievements came out, they said they would set it so anyone who redeemed a convention code would get the Conventioneer achievement. But they didn't go through with that. If it's possible, it would be nice if they could do it.

Hallowed Shapeshifter

An Undead Sin

I do see your point and it does make sense.
However, logging in every day is a lot simpler than attending an IRL Gaia event.
The last convention in general that I, myself, have been able to attend was Otakon back in 2008.
Haven't been able to attend since; and it's right here in my hometown!
The Conventioneer Achievement is the one of the hardest to get because of the fact that there are many members unable to attend such events.
I personally believe that those who were lucky enough in the past to attend should be rewarded for attending, especially since some of them may not be able to attend for years to come (if ever again).
Now, I haven't heard anything from Gaia's perspective, but I wouldn't think that they'd approve of the sharing of codes that are specifically meant for a select few.

Like I said before, if they choose to retro it, then great. I have no problem against it, and it would be super nice of them if they did. But also not going to actively support trying to get it done. Guess its a 'to each their own' sort of thing.

While I agree we would need to hear from Gaia staff specifically, again I wouldnt see the issue with it. Its not like extra items are being pumped in from it. The same few number of people will get the prize... it just wont be the same few people.

But I said my peace, and since we see clearly (least I think) each others points... I wish you luck in getting your achievement as I take my leave. ^.^

Star-Crossed Seraph

25,775 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Object of Affection 150
An Undead Sin
Gaia could always check members' inventories for the Gaia-Con items, check post histories and/or journal entries for mentionings of attending a Gaia event.

Well, they could if they had the ability to, but then, remember, the Con Items are NOT Soulbound and can be bought on the MP and the Exchange. (From the MP listing: Gaia-Con Registration Goodies (Any) and there are many requests for the codes in the Achievement Forums so others can get the Achievement without having attended.

They had to draw the line some place and making it from the date of the Conventioneer's Achievement existence seems rather fair to everyone. I live in the States and even though they have the Cons in Seattle, I doubt I would ever be able to attend due to my work. I like getting Achievements as much as the next person, but, it doesn't mean a thing if I don't get that one ... there are plenty others that I can get by just being on the site.

Timid Lunatic

Dorian_Archer
An Undead Sin

Well, they could if they had the ability to, but then, remember, the Con Items are NOT Soulbound and can be bought on the MP and the Exchange. (From the MP listing: Gaia-Con Registration Goodies (Any) and there are many requests for the codes in the Achievement Forums so others can get the Achievement without having attended.

I realize this.
    Are you certain that Gaia staff can't look into one's inventory and seeing item details?

I tend to believe that the staff has more control over this site than they let on at times.

Smitten Kitten

15,375 Points
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
I went to a Gaia meetup in 2010 and got a code but this was right before they were really released. I'm very disappointed I redeemed it only a few months too early and missed out on the achievement.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
On the redeem page of the cards they handed out, Gaia should be logging that the user redeemed the code (and the history of codes redeemed).

If it's possible to retro-acheive, that's great.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff