Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eternal Archenemy

14,125 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
I don't understand why the guild thread things are different from the rest of the forums.
The youtube thing Unable to identify Vimeo video URL. Doesn't work in Guilds.
There is no Post style
Or Post Action.
And the Add Poll option is terribly outdated when compared to the regular forum option.

The fact that Guilds are so far behind the regular forums just screams "We no longer care about the guilds feature. At all."

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
          Don't quote me on this since I'm just speculating, but guilds might be done using a completely different coding than the main forums, so it could be a huge hassle to do this and it's possible that guilds would have to be taken down temporarily for them to work on it.
          But whether or not that's true, they should really consider it. I've seen a lot of people say that their favorite place on the site is the guilds, so they should take that into consideration and spruce them up a bit. Also, possibly wiping guilds that have been inactive for years but that's a different issue.

Time-traveling Senshi

To make guilds look and function like the open forums Gaia would have to shut them down in order to move everything over to a new system or they could make it so only new guilds and subforums are updated to the same system as the open forums. Either way it would be a hassle for guild owners and guild goers. So what they're trying to do is work in certain aspects of the open forums to the guilds. If they can code it into the existing coding they will. If doing that is short of rewriting all of the guild codes then they'll hack in the feature. At least that's what I was told in one of the AtA sessions after we got quick replies in guilds by, I think, codemonkey (but don't quote me on who because it's been a while since that took place).

Shy Stalker

I just wish they'd make some noticeable progress with this.
Denham
          Don't quote me on this since I'm just speculating, but guilds might be done using a completely different coding than the main forums, so it could be a huge hassle to do this and it's possible that guilds would have to be taken down temporarily for them to work on it.
          But whether or not that's true, they should really consider it. I've seen a lot of people say that their favorite place on the site is the guilds, so they should take that into consideration and spruce them up a bit. Also, possibly wiping guilds that have been inactive for years but that's a different issue.
U are right but guilds is very very very old code and for the most of the people at gaia it is somewhat a pain to read from what i understand.So it is hard to work with.But also the code is so much different then the main code they use here as well that it is ether something they need to code for guilds out of that old code in a longer time then it would take for this.or not at all.They are working on guilds but very slowly.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
They recently added Quick Reply to Guilds, so perhaps in the future (near or far, I don't even know), they'll add more updates to it.

Familiar Lunatic

I could fetch the exact quotes, but short version is:

- They'd really like to
- But it's really old code therefore a heck lot of work
- And low priority, currently anyway
- However they'll try and hack some of the things in
- No ETA

Story time:
DARKNRGY
[...]

To give some background, Gaia's most valuable assets are the forums, avatars, items, trading/marketplace, events, flash spaces, that sort of thing, so those always take priority. When it comes to Guilds, holy hell can I relate. I designed and built the entire thing up until another team came along and spiffed up the landing/search, added mass PM, so I feel a great deal of ownership over it (sort of my baby). Yet still I can't ignore that there are challenges with the practicality of working on it. What it really needs is a full rewrite and migration of the forum data structure - that would let us share the feature set between forums and guilds. Forums got the big heavy upgrade and guilds didn't. That upgrade, even though it was nearly transparent to the users, made it physically possible for us to continue supporting the growth of the forums whereas Guilds we knew would be able to keep working because it has only a fraction of the activity. At the time we planned to do it for every post-based feature, but we underestimated the challenge and got stuck with some legacy problems which we haven't solved.

>.<
Chibi Halo
          .../ At least that's what I was told in one of the AtA sessions after we got quick replies in guilds by, I think, codemonkey (but don't quote me on who because it's been a while since that took place).

It was carbonphyber :3

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Gaia has sadly stated the guilds are low priority.

Their code is now so old that updating it would involve too many man hours (Because Gaia rested on their laurels and didn't think to update it in time with the main forums ...).

So despite the guilds desperately needing an overhaul, Gaia doesn't think they're worth the funds.

Time-traveling Senshi

gataka
It was carbonphyber :3

Thank you for correcting me on that one. I knew it was a C named programmer who didn't use caps in their name but I couldn't remember which one. Yeah, when I asked about tipping in guilds he said it wasn't impossible but pretty much implied that it was so hard that if they couldn't make that code work with the old code the guilds run on without rewriting all the code they'd have to hack it in. They're things the staff would love to do for guilds but making them work without breaking guilds all together is going to take some creative thinking. Makes you wonder how many of the more recent additions to guilds are things that were actually made to work with the old code or something simply hacked into place.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff