Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hallowed Sex Symbol

14,550 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Millionaire 200
User Image

User Image

I lol'd at the minis being 'indirectly' re-released.

User Image

Magnetic Sex Symbol

Vampyrn
Bid Blast aka we stealin' your gold, sucks so far.

Items will end up being bid to well over their value, case and point the Elegant White Satin Coat.
Retails for 56,300 gold.
Current BB: 65,994 gold (And climbing)
Actual Value Bid: 659,940 gold

A ticket is 10g per (8g for 1000) so for every item sold 8-10 times the gold is being removed from the market. I can live with that. However, if you win the item, you don't really win... You win the CHANCE to buy the item, for the last bid value. So if the final bid was immensely over MP Value. There's no point in buying.

In the case of super-rares, like the current Bid on Mini Angel Wings, the only people who will be able to buy them after winning are the super rich. The bid on such and item will no doubt go into the millions, maybe even tens of millions so even if a normal Joe Gaian wins the bid, he can't afford to buy it. If some super-rich Gaian wins, he/she can now buy the discounted Rare, and probably sell it for a huge profit. Thus eliminating the point of Bid Blast, remove the immense amount of gold in Gaia while supplying a value reducing amount of Rares.

The bid jumping the clock back up is the stupidest thing ever when you're trying to get people cheap Rares, until people are used to the system and realize that the price they see is the price they'll have to pay, restoring the clock with each bid will just make the item return next week and drain people's gold for no reason. Let the clock run out, or it will never stop until the deadline is met.

Proposed Changes:

Bid Cap. If it's a store item, the store value minus 10 percent is the cap. If it's rare, the perceived value by Staff is the cap. This will ensure that someone will buy it, or at least have a chance to buy at a fair price. Unreasonable prices will just ensure that the same items show up week after week.

You win it, its yours. Gaians are already paying for you to win the item, you shouldn't have to buy it. With the total losses up to 10 times the bid value, the user who wins should get the item no holds barred. This is a no brain-er - whomever suggested buying the item for the bid price should be eaten by Diedrich.

Clock Reset Limit or Sleep Timer. If the item has been bid on X amount of times the clock stops resetting. OR After X amount of resetting bids, the clock stops resetting for 25 seconds. The current system will inevitably lead to trolling, i.e. people purposely bidding to keep people from getting cheap items.

Shorter Deadlines You can keep your timer reset, but make the deadline shorter so those big ticket items don't go on forever and ever. The deadlines seem to be staggered 4 days from the listing time, shorten them to 24 hours.

Adjust the end time. Currently it sounds like the deadline is 12 AM PST, that means that east coaster's will have to stay up until 3 AM if they want to win a bid... not exactly fair. Adjusting the time back by 3-4 hours suits both coasts. 8PM PST, 11PM EST, would be a better deadline time.

Sorry to quote such a big post but I just COMPLETELY agree with this. Bids go on FOREVER because of that stupid +30 seconds rule. 30 seconds is just WAY to much time to be adding on to the bid forever and ever until the actual date that the staff has decided the bid will end. I do not have the time nor patience to stay up until 3 o' clock in the morning in the middle of the week with a constant 30 seconds on the clock. I would say add maybe FIVE seconds, that's plenty of time for people to click that bid button, especially with how fast the page updates.

Or, at the VERY LEAST, adjust the time as stated at the end of Vampyrn's post. It is completely unfair to those of us in different timezones.

Original Nerd

9,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
Quote:
How long does each auction last?
Each auction starts with a varying amount of time on the clock. Once the clock runs down to the last 30 seconds, each bid will reset the clock back up to 30 seconds. This will continue until there are no further bids and the clock runs out.

I really rather hate this rule, for the fact that anyone can log in to the point and just bid up the price and forever add time, verses the ones who have consistently bid on said item all day. On other online auctions don't reset the clock, they have an end time and the time isn't extended. This kind of brings up the point someone had made today about Gaia being a sell out, and I'm not sure I'm not the only one who has an issue with this rule.

Devout Fatcat

Tricksy Boo
Aris Yuki
Why are people bidding?

Like I said, I think there are a number of people who don't get that you actually have to pay the auction price, you don't just get the item for free if you win.

That and, as people said, there will inevitably be trolls who simply drive the price up out of spite.

And to those who are wondering why they have the 30 second timer, which forces you to waste your gold.

This system is a gold sink

In other words, they EXPECT people to keep buying tickets, and buying tickets, and buying more tickets to try and win, and use up a lot of their gold when chances are they'll get nothing in return.

This will remove all that gold they're spending on tickets from the Gaia economy, and lower inflation

Well, that's what it's supposed to do.

People have been asking for inflated prices to go down, and this is how you do it.

Increase the number of rare items available, and decrease the amount of gold in the economy
I like this explanation of what BB is, but at the same some people seem to get the amount of gold needed to get items at lot more easily then it was before the cash shop came so while it does make people give their gold to Gaia, they can as easily get it back by buying in the cash shop and selling the item. Though I do not see the logic in it some people seem to think it is.

Man-Hungry Demigod

22,900 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • Torii Gatekeeper 500
I was bidding on Princess Manner, and right when the auction ended it said I had won the auction... Then it changed and said I3 l i n k e e had won. I audibly aw'd. It was sad.

So, what I'm gonna say is, if possible, (even if there are about 400 people bidhttp://www.gaiaonline.com/avatar/ding on an item at the end, give or take) try and make the item update with each bid, instead of lumping it together. It gives false information. And honestly, I was a bit heartbroken. :l

Beloved Friend

9,350 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
I will never have the chance to win because I'm not staying up till 3am for it

In a relationship with A Fictional Character

Magical Librarian

how it's currently set up, it just doesn't work. Maybe change it to a raffle? that way the people that are actually putting a lot of gold into have more chances, and not just the snipers who come in at the odd times

Shadowy Sleuth

20,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
it would be nice if bidblast couldn't be botted based on ending time.

4,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
biggrin biggrin biggrin
Can u buy me lusty
The new ones don't seem to ending at 3 a.m. EST anymore. 'Asphalt Jungle' was set to "end latest on Sat, 24 Mar 2012" and yet it's still going. I guess they have reverted back to random end times on the day of?

This solves the sniping problem, I guess?

Shadowy Sleuth

20,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
Girz
The new ones don't seem to ending at 3 a.m. EST anymore. 'Asphalt Jungle' was set to "end latest on Sat, 24 Mar 2012" and yet it's still going. I guess they have reverted back to random end times on the day of?

good. but i hope theres some sort of monitoring system in place now to catch the botters who will try to bot all day in hopes that they are the last bidder when the auction finally ends.
Miserable pile of secrets
Girz

good. but i hope theres some sort of monitoring system in place now to catch the botters who will try to bot all day in hopes that they are the last bidder when the auction finally ends.

They actually just changed it to 3 p.m. EST (noon PST). And I won! whee

Shadowy Wolf

10,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
Like so many others have said that +30 second clock or rather resetting it really needs to go. Where's the point in it? It makes the people who really want that item lose out because they don't have the gold they need, and when they do get it, the price has already gone up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff