Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should there be an achievement for completing a backwings quest formula chain all the way through to large wings?

Yes - Should be worth 1000 points 0.24137931034483 24.1% [ 35 ]
Yes - Should be worth 500 points 0.013793103448276 1.4% [ 2 ]
Yes - Should be worth 250 points 0.041379310344828 4.1% [ 6 ]
No - Because wahhhhhmbulance. 0.56551724137931 56.6% [ 82 ]
Obligatory poll-whore option. 0.13793103448276 13.8% [ 20 ]
Total Votes:[ 145 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Cimeara

I believe the point is that sometimes the alchemist doesn't get the wings. If someone finds the quest formula and doesn't think they can do it alone (almost a given) and isn't already at level 10 (yes, the formulas start at level 1 but with very low success rates and being higher level will make them go easier), they arrange with someone else to craft the formulas. And that may not involve any personal relationships that make the wings shareable between the those involved.

So the formula-finder gets the wings and the alchemist gets nothing to show to others that they were the ones who actually made the wings. Yes, there's an achievement for getting to Level 10 in Alchemy, but in terms of rarity and difficulty, it's not comparable to completing the backwings. Backwings are more like Level 100.

Frankly I see nothing wrong with making it also be an Achievement. How does that hurt anyone except the Achievement-hunters who've made it their quest to get every Achievement on Gaia, which has its own problem of being narrow-focused and with few likely to finish? (Is there an Achievement for getting every current Achievement?)

I think my original point still stands. So what if an alchemist makes the wings for someone else- they still get the bragging rights and for at least a few shining moments they have one of the rarest items on Gaia and one that will stay rare for the foreseeable future- in their account. Well, until they give it to the person who's really been working their a** off for the wings of course. That would be the one who provided all the expensive components. If an achievement is going to be awarded in fairness it should be divided between those who are on the team who manage to pull off that quest. There is no practical or fair way to program that, though.

My point still stands. An achievement for making the wings is unnecessary. The wings themselves are the award even if the alchemist doesn't get to keep them. That's his or her own fault for making the deal to make them for someone else, as opposed to doing all the work and spending all the gold to do so for themselves.

MistressMinako
Or are you asking for this because you want something to show you made the wings after you sell them to some poor b*****d for 3x what you spent?

Y'know... I don't think anyone on Gaia has that much gold if the numbers I'm seeing on that wing quest are even vaguely close. Not even the wealthiest exchanger will have that much pure at one time. Maybe they'd be able to trade everything they have... or a golden halo and some other old ultra rares.

So yeah, an achievement isn't needed if you have an item as rare as a golden halo, and even more wanted.

Dedicated Collector

34,450 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Shopkeep's Apprentice 500
  • Storybook Royalty 500
MistressMinako
No, because the item should be a reward in itself.

Besides, aren't achievements for, you know, achievable things you can do by participating in the site as opposed to something that is completely out of the realm of possibility for 99% of the site?

Or are you asking for this because you want something to show you made the wings after you sell them to some poor b*****d for 3x what you spent?

For the record, I am keeping my wings, but what is the ONE thing that CANNOT be moved off an account, period? Achievements. No matter what, achievements are locked/tied to your account. It's not about elitism at all... it's about achieveing something great.

Look at video games you have trophies right?

Bronze Trophies - The easy peasy anyone can do with little to no effort trophies.
Silver Trophies - slightly harder and requires skill but achieveable still by most people
Gold Trophies - the hardest obtainable trophies that only an expert gamer could possibly get.
Platinum trophy - for the truly insane who obtained all the other trophies including all those gold ones.

Making the backwings essentially is like the platinum trophy of gaia, or at least a high gold one, not everyone is going to be able to do it... the level 10 alchemist achievement is still highly out of reach of most people... some achievements ie event achievements that required MASS sums of gold (Pie Hard achievements, anyone? where you had to spent upwards of 200k+ to get the last two achievements in that event) are not unobtainable and will never be again, more formulas will go out and thus more people will do them, and it may take time, LOTS of time, and more importantly a TON of DEDICATION... but eventually more and more will slowly come into existance and so yeah, an achievement for that won't be a bad thing because eventually more people will get it if they work hard, right? And like I said, not all achievements (or in video games trophies) are meant to be easy, consider this one if they make it the first TRUE achievement that shows ones dedication and insanity to go to great lengths to actually ACHIEVE something.

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Animal

Well, you can believe that. Personally, I have those frames blocked on my browser because I don't care what trophies a person has. As has been pointed out to you: just because you might happen to have this theoretical achievement doesn't speak to the volume of work you yourself put into it, as well as the market being so limited that the amount of work to code the achievement is essentially wasted development time.
Nah. Even if I got the wings, I wouldn't want an achievement...that's a redundant reward issue.

It's redundant to reward someone for having the gold to get the ultimate reward(wings)...let's not bother okay? smile

We already get a nice formula for a crown...that got cut up by the "stupid" machete the second a set # of people "got the achievement"....rather then just leaving the formula the f**k alone...ah whatever I'm rambling.

Dedicated Collector

34,450 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Storybook Royalty 500
MistressMinako
Animal

Well, you can believe that. Personally, I have those frames blocked on my browser because I don't care what trophies a person has. As has been pointed out to you: just because you might happen to have this theoretical achievement doesn't speak to the volume of work you yourself put into it, as well as the market being so limited that the amount of work to code the achievement is essentially wasted development time.

I would assume it would take the same amount of work as for them to FIX the Formula 10: Crown of Thrice Great for EVERYONE who gets to level 10 to ACTUALLY be able to MAKE it for the SAME stuff the FIRST FIVE got to make it for... which is just 10 aspiring alchemists and gold... instead of 1 BILLION gold worth of components... -_-()

Dedicated Collector

34,450 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Storybook Royalty 500
Canian
Nah. Even if I got the wings, I wouldn't want an achievement...that's a redundant reward issue.

It's redundant to reward someone for having the gold to get the ultimate reward(wings)...let's not bother okay? smile

We already get a nice formula for a crown...that got cut up by the "stupid" machete the second a set # of people "got the achievement"....rather then just leaving the formula the f**k alone...ah whatever I'm rambling.

+1

This is my point... so here's a compromise, no achievement for backwings completion is fine, IF and ONLY IF they go ahead and CHANGE formula 10: crown of thrice great BACK to what the FIRST FIVE got it to be... which is just 10 aspiring alchemists + 250k gold = bam crown, because point is, you STILL have to GET to level 10 to get the formula and thus the 'reward' of the crown... but getting an UNMAKEABLE formulat that requires AS MUCH components as the entire backwings quest essentially is NOT a a reward... it's a kick in the teeth... so if they change the formula back to what the first 5 got it for, I'd be fine, and frankly, I'm dissapointed all alchemists who got to level 10 after the first five are not as outraged as I am and BOYCOTTING gaia to FIX the formula so EVERYONE who gets to level 10 ACTUALLY gets a "reward" for doing so like the FIRST FIVE got...

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Animal
MistressMinako
Animal

I would assume it would take the same amount of work as for them to FIX the Formula 10: Crown of Thrice Great for EVERYONE who gets to level 10 to ACTUALLY be able to MAKE it for the SAME stuff the FIRST FIVE got to make it for... which is just 10 aspiring alchemists and gold... instead of 1 BILLION gold worth of components... -_-()

Oh, is that the item they screwed everyone over for? The one where only 10 people ever will get to use it because Gaia made Alchemy into a pissing contest?

Yeah, you won't be seeing a fix for that anytime soon.

Dedicated Collector

34,450 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Storybook Royalty 500
MistressMinako
Animal
MistressMinako
Animal

Oh, is that the item they screwed everyone over for? The one where only 10 people ever will get to use it because Gaia made Alchemy into a pissing contest?

Yeah, you won't be seeing a fix for that anytime soon.

Nope, first FIVE only got it and so most likely only FIVE will EVER exist on Gaia, and nobody knew about said 'pissing contest' until the FIRST person who got to level 10 got the message "Congratulations one being one of the first five to level 10, for doing so you will be able to craft the crown of thrice great for FREE(essentially) while anyone after the first five will NEVER be able to craft it" it wasn't until there was already 4 of the first 5 before the knowledge went public and then like 4 people all pissed away millions in gold trying to be the 5th of the first 5 to get a free crown of thrice great knowing everyone else would be screwed... ya its shayla was SIXTH to level 10, by oh... three hours? gtsluvr was 7th by about 10 hours, and I was 8th by about 12 hours...

so yeah, me, ya its shayla, and gtsluvr all got SCREWED, if they had at least made it first 10, first 50, or even more reasonably first 100 (there are over 100,000 users on gaia, but maybe 1% will get to level 10 in the next 5 years or so in alchemy with alchemy as it is)... but even THEN I'd still advocate that ANYONE who gets to level 10 alchemy should be able to craft the crown for just 10 aspiring alchemists + gold so it actually IS a reward for obtaining level 10... other than "Hey, here's a formula you can't use, can't sell, but it can look pretty in your inventory while you look at the five who got theirs for free wearing them"

Although one or two were sold and are now in circulation with an average going price of 55M, must be nice for those who got to level 10 first five to recoup some of their gold losses selling their crowns, while the rest of us got nothing to recoup our losses... it's why I'm so adamant about boycotting it and that nobody should gather/attempt to craft the crown and make gaia change it because hey, they won't be able to use the excuse "but people already crafted it the hard way" or "people are working on it"(because really, anyone without a quest working on those components that are in crown could be assumed working on components in prepration for a backwings quest ie like the philosopher's stone).

I'm ALL for making alchemy easier for people to level up/etc and make it cheaper (so long as the 'rare' formulas like the quest ones and erebus moon STAY rare). but I also would be pissed off if every joe smoe and their mother was a level 10 alchemist, and so not having any true reward for obtaining level 10 other than a useless formula... at least if everyone who got to level 10 got the crown for what the first five got, MORE people would be inclined to GET to level 10, and those of us who already are but weren't one of the first 5 wouldn't feel SCREWED and CHEATED by gaia for that bs that was pulled... ya know?

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Animal

Nope, first FIVE only got it and so most likely only FIVE will EVER exist on Gaia, and nobody knew about said 'pissing contest' until the FIRST person who got to level 10 got the message "Congratulations one being one of the first five to level 10, for doing so you will be able to craft the crown of thrice great for FREE(essentially) while anyone after the first five will NEVER be able to craft it" it wasn't until there was already 4 of the first 5 before the knowledge went public and then like 4 people all pissed away millions in gold trying to be the 5th of the first 5 to get a free crown of thrice great knowing everyone else would be screwed... ya its shayla was SIXTH to level 10, by oh... three hours? gtsluvr was 7th by about 10 hours, and I was 8th by about 12 hours...

so yeah, me, ya its shayla, and gtsluvr all got SCREWED, if they had at least made it first 10, first 50, or even more reasonably first 100 (there are over 100,000 users on gaia, but maybe 1% will get to level 10 in the next 5 years or so in alchemy with alchemy as it is)... but even THEN I'd still advocate that ANYONE who gets to level 10 alchemy should be able to craft the crown for just 10 aspiring alchemists + gold so it actually IS a reward for obtaining level 10... other than "Hey, here's a formula you can't use, can't sell, but it can look pretty in your inventory while you look at the five who got theirs for free wearing them"

Although one or two were sold and are now in circulation with an average going price of 55M, must be nice for those who got to level 10 first five to recoup some of their gold losses selling their crowns, while the rest of us got nothing to recoup our losses... it's why I'm so adamant about boycotting it and that nobody should gather/attempt to craft the crown and make gaia change it because hey, they won't be able to use the excuse "but people already crafted it the hard way" or "people are working on it"(because really, anyone without a quest working on those components that are in crown could be assumed working on components in prepration for a backwings quest ie like the philosopher's stone).

I'm ALL for making alchemy easier for people to level up/etc and make it cheaper (so long as the 'rare' formulas like the quest ones and erebus moon STAY rare). but I also would be pissed off if every joe smoe and their mother was a level 10 alchemist, and so not having any true reward for obtaining level 10 other than a useless formula... at least if everyone who got to level 10 got the crown for what the first five got, MORE people would be inclined to GET to level 10, and those of us who already are but weren't one of the first 5 wouldn't feel SCREWED and CHEATED by gaia for that bs that was pulled... ya know?

This is why there are a lot of people who dislike what's been done with the wings. Someone beat you to level 10 by hours, and now you will never get a certain hat because of it. Many other people do not have the means or time for Alchemy and won't get those specific sets of wings.

No matter how you slice it, someone is going to feel screwed over Alchemy. I advocate for greater accessibility of all the items, because frankly we have enough forced rare bullshit already. Nothing should make a hat or a pair of wings worth thousands of dollars in attempts to obtain them.

Sparkly Pirate

19,600 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Citizen 200
No. My main reason being... The backwings quest is SO hard that users who want to make the item have to team up and work together. But only one person would get the achievement? That sucks. Even if someone was able to make it on their own, if they had to pay a Level 10 Alchemist to make it, again, the person who actually put the effort and money in isn't get the achievement. The wings themselves are enough of a reward.

Dedicated Collector

34,450 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Storybook Royalty 500
MistressMinako
Animal

This is why there are a lot of people who dislike what's been done with the wings. Someone beat you to level 10 by hours, and now you will never get a certain hat because of it. Many other people do not have the means or time for Alchemy and won't get those specific sets of wings.

No matter how you slice it, someone is going to feel screwed over Alchemy. I advocate for greater accessibility of all the items, because frankly we have enough forced rare bullshit already. Nothing should make a hat or a pair of wings worth thousands of dollars in attempts to obtain them.

Yeah well, what can we say? Gaia LOVES its RIGGED RIGs... I mean it's either spent $200USD on gcash on a RIG bundle and HOPE to win the item you want (although in reality you can prolly spent $1000USD on Gcash ont he RIG bundle and STILL not get the item you want with how rare some seem to be... IE jet the kitten star from the galaxy core, for instance) or spent $200USD on gcash on rig bundles to sell for enough gold to BUY the item you want from the RIG... and either way you swing it it's gonna cost you prolly at least $200USD worth of gcash to get the item... lest you have the luck of the golden gods to get it on your first try which my RIG luck? yeah, it sucks, NEVER got a victory ONCE ever on a rig... or the rare recolour/etc thing... or etc... so... yeah... maybe the new RIG my luck will turn but I highly doubt it...

and now they are doing RIGs MONTHLY... there used to be at least 2-3 months between RIG releases and now they are MONTHLY... what does THAT tell you? *sighs* it's all our own damned fault as users though if we didn't buy so much of them then they would stop putting them out so often, but they put all the BEST items into RIGs(although now with Alchemy there's good items there too) so expect to see more of the BEST items ever being ONLY available through RIGs at a 0.0000000000000000001% drop rate chance from a victory that you have a like 0.000000005% chance to even get to in the first place (or at least it seems that way for me with my luck and even the 'click, get item' rigs like the deja mood 2 I opened thousands and never got one manner or style or uber rare mood bubble), or through alchemy through some ridiculous formula chain or etc...

it'd be like hey here's a recolour of an item you all have been asking for, it's a level 10 formula that requires 5 crafted components that all require another buncha crafted components some of which also require crafted components, prolly run ya at least 100M(the cost to make an erebus' moon when I did it, though now at current component prices it would run over DOUBLE that to make an Erebus' Moon).

This is the gaia we live in, and sadly because of how much money gaia makes via things as they are because either you pay out, or you go without, basically. I don't think they're going to change it, why would they? It would mean a decline in sales/cash flow/projection/etc.

That's why I'm suggesting an achievement for completing one of the quest formulas as well, it would inspire people to go after them, and well, if a few crazy achievement hos who have to have EVERY achievement EVER went spend-crazy on gaia to achieve it... then that's all the better for gaia, more money for gaia means more support means more events that don't require gcash to actually get some nice stuff... who knows it might even mean the ressurection/revival of ZOMG?

Dedicated Collector

34,450 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Storybook Royalty 500
marshmallowcreampie
No. My main reason being... The backwings quest is SO hard that users who want to make the item have to team up and work together. But only one person would get the achievement? That sucks. Even if someone was able to make it on their own, if they had to pay a Level 10 Alchemist to make it, again, the person who actually put the effort and money in isn't get the achievement. The wings themselves are enough of a reward.

ORRRRRRRR, it encourages someone who gets their hands on a quest formula to put in the time, effort, work, dedicaiton to become a level 10 alchemist THEMSELVES, so that they can get the achievement for themself, ne? There's that side of/to the coin as well.

Sparkly Pirate

19,600 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Citizen 200
Animal
marshmallowcreampie

ORRRRRRRR, it encourages someone who gets their hands on a quest formula to put in the time, effort, work, dedicaiton to become a level 10 alchemist THEMSELVES, so that they can get the achievement for themself, ne? There's that side of/to the coin as well.

Even if you're dedicated, getting there is nearly impossible unless you already have hundreds of millions of gold.

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Animal

Yeah well, what can we say? Gaia LOVES its RIGGED RIGs... I mean it's either spent $200USD on gcash on a RIG bundle and HOPE to win the item you want (although in reality you can prolly spent $1000USD on Gcash ont he RIG bundle and STILL not get the item you want with how rare some seem to be... IE jet the kitten star from the galaxy core, for instance) or spent $200USD on gcash on rig bundles to sell for enough gold to BUY the item you want from the RIG... and either way you swing it it's gonna cost you prolly at least $200USD worth of gcash to get the item... lest you have the luck of the golden gods to get it on your first try which my RIG luck? yeah, it sucks, NEVER got a victory ONCE ever on a rig... or the rare recolour/etc thing... or etc... so... yeah... maybe the new RIG my luck will turn but I highly doubt it...

and now they are doing RIGs MONTHLY... there used to be at least 2-3 months between RIG releases and now they are MONTHLY... what does THAT tell you? *sighs* it's all our own damned fault as users though if we didn't buy so much of them then they would stop putting them out so often, but they put all the BEST items into RIGs(although now with Alchemy there's good items there too) so expect to see more of the BEST items ever being ONLY available through RIGs at a 0.0000000000000000001% drop rate chance from a victory that you have a like 0.000000005% chance to even get to in the first place (or at least it seems that way for me with my luck and even the 'click, get item' rigs like the deja mood 2 I opened thousands and never got one manner or style or uber rare mood bubble), or through alchemy through some ridiculous formula chain or etc...

it'd be like hey here's a recolour of an item you all have been asking for, it's a level 10 formula that requires 5 crafted components that all require another buncha crafted components some of which also require crafted components, prolly run ya at least 100M(the cost to make an erebus' moon when I did it, though now at current component prices it would run over DOUBLE that to make an Erebus' Moon).

This is the gaia we live in, and sadly because of how much money gaia makes via things as they are because either you pay out, or you go without, basically. I don't think they're going to change it, why would they? It would mean a decline in sales/cash flow/projection/etc.

That's why I'm suggesting an achievement for completing one of the quest formulas as well, it would inspire people to go after them, and well, if a few crazy achievement hos who have to have EVERY achievement EVER went spend-crazy on gaia to achieve it... then that's all the better for gaia, more money for gaia means more support means more events that don't require gcash to actually get some nice stuff... who knows it might even mean the resurrection/revival of ZOMG?

I think RIGs, once they were officially RIGs, have always been monthly. We're starting to see multiple RIGs per month now. Also, I don't gamble on Gaia's terrible odds and hard-on for forced rarity. I buy all my items with gold.

Frankly, an achievement wouldn't inspire me for s**t. Maybe if the achievement system was worth something, i.e. back wings, which is why I put effort into achievements in the first place (I only have 1000 less points than you). Gaia's current direction has inspired me to withhold all monetary contributions since August 2011, and that's not changing anytime soon.

I said it in the Alchemy feedback thread, and I'll say it here: Gaia's administration is in this state because Gaia's staff act like they have nothing to fear from a financial standpoint. There is no reason for them to make those nice, rare items more accessible because they'll always be users with open wallets and corporations willing to partner. If you want to make a difference in your own life, go spend your money on something more personally fulfilling. Gaia's not going to make those changes and cow to "what-ifs".

Oh, and no hypothetical situation will ever lead to the revival of zOMG. Gaia's made clear that project is dead in the water no matter what users do.
Animal
Canian

+1

This is my point... so here's a compromise, no achievement for backwings completion is fine, IF and ONLY IF they go ahead and CHANGE formula 10: crown of thrice great BACK to what the FIRST FIVE got it to be... which is just 10 aspiring alchemists + 250k gold = bam crown, because point is, you STILL have to GET to level 10 to get the formula and thus the 'reward' of the crown... but getting an UNMAKEABLE formulat that requires AS MUCH components as the entire backwings quest essentially is NOT a a reward... it's a kick in the teeth... so if they change the formula back to what the first 5 got it for, I'd be fine, and frankly, I'm dissapointed all alchemists who got to level 10 after the first five are not as outraged as I am and BOYCOTTING gaia to FIX the formula so EVERYONE who gets to level 10 ACTUALLY gets a "reward" for doing so like the FIRST FIVE got...

Thanks man! I'm incredibly flattered that you believe the same as I do(even partially)!

I'm more miffed that they are now using you guys(that got to lvl 10/working on wings/doing low cost&no cost crafting for users out of kindness) as a halfass excuse to determine that you guys are ALSO the reason we--as a whole--cannot have change. We're an organic,helpful userbase when it is allowed to happen, think about previous events that actually allowed users to work as a unit rather then broken spattered groupings.

It's nonsense, because I've been reading up on EVERYONE's issues; from alchemy feedback abandoned thread that P.T. doesn't respond to, to the "knew you F**Ked us", to this one here recently. From the myriad of wealthy gaians(I'm talking 5-800million gold) having a s**t time with it. That makes no sense that 10million can't get you through the system like butter. That should be the perfect amount of gold...10 million should be more then enough, to get from lvl 1-10, then another 20million to do whatever else you want to do in the system...

You ALL have my sympathy, from wealthy to newbie. It's nonsense to assume that just because someone has gold they don't give a s**t. They do, it's just if something is going to change...Everyone has the right to expect to have it across the board dammit.

TLDR; Thanks Animal, just know I'm seriously wondering who will have to be "moved" from the project for you, your peers, and everyone else that isn't yet at the lvl10 to get a chance to play with and enjoy the system.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff