Poll Whore 0.04 4.0% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 25 ]
1 2 3 4 >

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
I think it'd be nice to see the arenas get a bit more attention, they haven't been worked on in a while, and the age is really beginning to show. I always enjoyed checking out the Arenas because it was a chance to have some fun competition with your fellow Gaians, however there are some technical issues that have been left unaddressed, and some features that could really help to reinvigorate the process.

Current Issues:

-There is an edit button in the Arena that is supposed to allow users to alter their description after it's been submitted, however this function does not work. It's working again, thanks Gaia! c:

-When trying to preview your submissions (to check reference images) it will often give you an error reading:" make sure your link is from a white listed domain" and not display the image. (This occurs even when the link shows up properly after submitting, it would be nice to have a preview function that actually lets users know if their submission is going to show up properly).

Clarify Arena Rules, not sure if this is an issue in other arenas, but there is a huge problem in avatar arenas with deciding where to enter an avatar. Users who enter an avatar inspired by a character, or a cosplay with a twist are often met with criticism in both the original and the cosplay arena, and are often given misdirection. As I currently understand it, cosplay arena is strictly for accurate replications of chracters, whereas original arena would be the place for any derivatives of a character. This is a confusing point and needs clarification, as many users are wasting their money entering the arenas because they can't figure out where their avatar belongs, please make this distinction clear when choosing an arena.

Possible Improvements:

-Allowing animation on items to show up. I know that this is especially desirable when it comes to the Curse of the Grey Wizard item.

-An achievement for making top 10. This could encourage more users to participate in the arenas, as they seem to have fallen by the wayside a bit lately.
(And perhaps a larger prize? Considering the fee of entry, a nicer payout should be considered, especially for avatar arenas where users have to spend additional gold just to create the entry).

-Do NOT notify me if I comment on my own entry, it's annoying.

- A "skip to next unrated entry" button. This would be similar to the "skip" button, but would filter out submissions you have already rated, making it easy to hop around without seeing multiple repeats. (Mainly useful in Arenas with a smaller pool of entries).

- An edit comment option. Pretty self-explanatory, obviously this would only allow you to edit your own comments.

-If a submission is deleted or removed before any votes are cast, it should not affect your average. I understand the no-refunds bit, but when I decided to withdraw my avatar because I wanted to change something before getting rated, I was upset to find that now that avatar which did nothing, it never even got the chance to be voted on, is bringing down my average rating. I would not have pulled the avatar if I would have known about this, and it's frustrating on another level because I don't understand how 0 votes can affect a score anyway. :c

- Changes to the way comments are handled in the Arena. I would personally like to see a system in which users could rate the comment as "helpful" or "unhelpful, however if such an implementation would be too difficult, perhaps just better monitoring of the comments section would suffice. Currently there is little to no monitoring of the comments, I personally have reported several inappropriate comments, and have yet to see any of them dealt with, and if the comments can't be dealt with within a few days, then the reporting system is useless as the entry is only up for one week. Apparently there are signs of life! Keep up the activity mods, it's greatly appreciated!

-----I personally only frequent the Avatar arena, so I can't speak to whether or not this is a major issue in the other fields, but it often is the case that entries will have multiple comments that are off-topic, unhelpful, and inflammatory. This has many bad effects, it derails the comments section into a fight between users, it causes the submission's ratings to be affected by irrelevant discussions, and it creates a hostile environment which drives newer applicants away.

Dangerous Visionary

The rating the comments is awesome! DO WANT! Also not sure but do animated objects finally work in the arena or not? Cause I don't think they do. Also not sure how to curb it out more but something needs to be done about the massive down rating and the how things add up in the arena. As it doesn't make sense for someone who gets like two fives to avg 1.5 or something random like that.

Kuyusi's Partner

Apocalyptic Trash

I like the suggestions, but I would like to see something done about the massive down voting. I've had friends (and myself) be high up on Saturday and Sunday in rank (like 2nd to 5th) only to be knocked out of the top 10 by the time voting ends on Sunday night. I think we shouldn't be allowed to see our ranks until we place on Monday and the winners are seen.

We also need more exposure on the front page. It'd be nice to see the winners announced on the front Gaia Blog page under featured or the Blog. I don't care which as long we get the exposure we need.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Miss-dark8607
The rating the comments is awesome! DO WANT! Also not sure but do animated objects finally work in the arena or not? Cause I don't think they do. Also not sure how to curb it out more but something needs to be done about the massive down rating and the how things add up in the arena. As it doesn't make sense for someone who gets like two fives to avg 1.5 or something random like that.
Oh the animated items! I forgot about that, I'm going to add it to the list right now.

As to the last bit, I know the odd average system to in place to try and weed out malicious voting, I can't really speak to how well it works though, I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area.

Dangerous Visionary

frozen_water
Miss-dark8607
Oh the animated items! I forgot about that, I'm going to add it to the list right now.

As to the last bit, I know the odd average system to in place to try and weed out malicious voting, I can't really speak to how well it works though, I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area.

Yeah I just confirmed the Astra/Animated items DO NOT WORK in the arena and that needs to be change because so many of the dull avatars could use such items to bring them life. Also yeah the avg still needs to be tweaked as another thread pointed out. Also, now that we have new avatar glitch it would be nice for a refund and/or redo system in which if your entry is affected by a glitch you can either get your gold back or enter again next week when hopefully the glitch is fixed.

Dangerous Visionary

Lapsis Stella
I like the suggestions, but I would like to see something done about the massive down voting. I've had friends (and myself) be high up on Saturday and Sunday in rank (like 2nd to 5th) only to be knocked out of the top 10 by the time voting ends on Sunday night. I think we shouldn't be allowed to see our ranks until we place on Monday and the winners are seen.

We also need more exposure on the front page. It'd be nice to see the winners announced on the front Gaia Blog page under featured or the Blog. I don't care which as long we get the exposure we need.

Or and this is not my idea but from what I remember from another thread. Add some sort of captcha system every few rates. (Not just comments either) I also like the idea of having to pay to rate/comment as well but that didn't go over so well. emo

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Lapsis Stella

I'd love to see something done about down-voting too, but it seems like a really complicated matter, so I wasn't sure what exactly to suggest. Personally I wish they would actually reprimand users who are proven to knowingly vote maliciously and unfairly. You know what they say about prevention vs treatment, you'd think that instead of just trying to negate the down-voting they would try and do more to prevent it from happening at all.

And I'd love to see some more exposure, I've taken some breaks from Gaia over the years, so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but if I recall correctly arena winners did used to get some formal recognition.

Kuyusi's Partner

Apocalyptic Trash

Miss-dark8607
Lapsis Stella

Or and this is not my idea but from what I remember from another thread. Add some sort of captcha system every few rates. (Not just comments either) I also like the idea of having to pay to rate/comment as well but that didn't go over so well. emo

A captcha system would great, when you're rating. I'm not sure on the paying to vote/comment. It might kill the arena.

Dangerous Visionary

Lapsis Stella
Miss-dark8607
Lapsis Stella

A captcha system would great, when you're rating. I'm not sure on the paying to vote/comment. It might kill the arena.

Yeah that's what people in the other thread were saying about the paying but were on board about the captcha. But the OP actually wanted a tier type of system. Like a Hardcore arena that had prizes and fee and then a free for all arena for people who just wanted attention. (cause its not like we have a Avatar Arena , Avatar Talk, and the chatterbox for such things) Yet still people enter with crappy sets or just no effort entries hoping that their cheap cosplays or whatever can win the prizes rolleyes

Dangerous Visionary

frozen_water
'd love to see something done about down-voting too, but it seems like a really complicated matter, so I wasn't sure what exactly to suggest. Personally I wish they would actually reprimand users who are proven to knowingly vote maliciously and unfairly. You know what they say about prevention vs treatment, you'd think that instead of just trying to negate the down-voting they would try and do more to prevent it from happening at all.

And I'd love to see some more exposure, I've taken some breaks from Gaia over the years, so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but if I recall correctly arena winners did used to get some formal recognition.

Only issue I have with this EVERYONE who gets a 1 and/or negative comments will try to report people even when its a FAIR rate. I just started rating in the cosplay arena and I already had three people comment and harass me about giving them 1's. (Cause you know I should be totally in love with their use of sets or over done characters that took literally no effort at all) rolleyes

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Miss-dark8607
frozen_water
'd love to see something done about down-voting too, but it seems like a really complicated matter, so I wasn't sure what exactly to suggest. Personally I wish they would actually reprimand users who are proven to knowingly vote maliciously and unfairly. You know what they say about prevention vs treatment, you'd think that instead of just trying to negate the down-voting they would try and do more to prevent it from happening at all.

Only issue I have with this EVERYONE who gets a 1 and/or negative comments will try to report people even when its a FAIR rate. I just started rating in the cosplay arena and I already had three people comment and harass me about giving them 1's. (Cause you know I should be totally in love with their use of sets or over done characters that took literally no effort at all) rolleyes
Well I wouldn't really recommend putting a system in place where you report users directly for the issue, but if there appeared to be a trend of someone going around down-voting or voting unfairly then perhaps more could be done to look into the issue as apposed to just relying on a rating system to negate the effects.

I've seen people admit to voting because they didn't like the character being cosplayed, or the user themselves. I would want to see actual reprimands for such actions (especially when the user themselves admit to doing so) as apposed to just the removal of the posts. (Although, I honestly don't know how they deal with these things at the moment, there's nothing listed in the rules about reprimands for abusive comments outside of just following the ToS so I can only reason they don't so so currently. Although, on a related note they aren't even good about taking the posts down, I reported inflammatory comments that were clearly inappropriate over 3 days ago and still nothing has been done.)

Dangerous Visionary

frozen_water
]Well I wouldn't really recommend putting a system in place where you report users directly for the issue, but if there appeared to be a trend of someone going around down-voting or voting unfairly then perhaps more could be done to look into the issue as apposed to just relying on a rating system to negate the effects.

I've seen people admit to voting because they didn't like the character being cosplayed, or the user themselves. I would want to see actual reprimands for such actions (especially when the user themselves admit to doing so) as apposed to just the removal of the posts. (Although, I honestly don't know how they deal with these things at the moment, there's nothing listed in the rules about reprimands for abusive comments outside of just following the ToS so I can only reason they don't so so currently. Although, on a related note they aren't even good about taking the posts down, I reported inflammatory comments that were clearly inappropriate over 3 days ago and still nothing has been done.)

Well I believe last week there was a user (new account and all) that was going around giving low rates and negative comments (which didn't make any sense and it was clear they didn't know how Gaia layering worked, items combos or anything) to nearly every single cosplay entry so I reported the person a few times. I also report people who do admit to hating the user and/or character or WORST people who enter their entry and then try to "win" by down voting everyone else. emotion_facepalm

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Miss-dark8607
Well I believe last week there was a user (new account and all) that was going around giving low rates and negative comments (which didn't make any sense and it was clear they didn't know how Gaia layering worked, items combos or anything) to nearly every single cosplay entry so I reported the person a few times. I also report people who do admit to hating the user and/or character or WORST people who enter their entry and then try to "win" by down voting everyone else. emotion_facepalm
This is a little off topic, so forgive me, but were any of your reports dealt with yet? I'm beginning to wonder if mine were just ignored or if Arena reports are just given an exceedingly low priority.

On topic, I think it'd be very beneficial to have other reporting options aside from "spam". Inflammatory remarks do more than just clutter an entry, they can really hurt a user mentally, and once one person gets going others tend to gang up. I've seen remarks that go beyond spam into a more serious level, but not an extreme enough level to justify PMing a Mod about it.

Dangerous Visionary

frozen_water
Miss-dark8607
This is a little off topic, so forgive me, but were any of your reports dealt with yet? I'm beginning to wonder if mine were just ignored or if Arena reports are just given an exceedingly low priority.

On topic, I think it'd be very beneficial to have other reporting options aside from "spam". Inflammatory remarks do more than just clutter an entry, they can really hurt a user mentally, and once one person gets going others tend to gang up. I've seen remarks that go beyond spam into a more serious level, but not an extreme enough level to justify PMing a Mod about it.

I don't think its off topic because I think that's actually part of the issue as well but then again we DO need mods. So...anyways, its been less than a week since I reported the troll/noob and a week and some change reporting the other flamers. I agree we should probably have a similar report system that is used in the main forums.

Also I don't think OP should be allowed to delete comments anymore as the majority tend to just delete comments they don't like that aren't flaming and its not like they are actually deleted since the "counter" is still there showing you the number of comments they had. Plus, by doing that you get down rated even more so... In addition, even if its a troll/flame comment or something totally offensive and rule by allowing it to stay more of us can report it.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Miss-dark8607
frozen_water
Miss-dark8607

I don't think its off topic because I think that's actually part of the issue as well but then again we DO need mods. So...anyways, its been less than a week since I reported the troll/noob and a week and some change reporting the other flamers. I agree we should probably have a similar report system that is used in the main forums.

Also I don't think OP should be allowed to delete comments anymore as the majority tend to just delete comments they don't like that aren't flaming and its not like they are actually deleted since the "counter" is still there showing you the number of comments they had. Plus, by doing that you get down rated even more so... In addition, even if its a troll/flame comment or something totally offensive and rule by allowing it to stay more of us can report it.
Well, OPs deleting comments is kind of a double edged sword, but honestly I'd rather side on the option of letting people edit their own comment section, especially when the response time on comment reports is so slow.

If someone says something offensive or hurtful, and It may be a week or more before a mod gets around to taking it down, I want the option of deleting the comment myself if necessary. Maybe if we had a better monitoring of the comments and I could trust a mod to take it down I'd feel differently, but with the current situation I think removing that power would just give trolls free reign.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff