Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Snowfriend

I'm quite frankly appalled at this decision, and extremely disappointed with Gaia.

I had so much fun when zOMG started out, and continued to have fun for months as I slowly and gradually went through all the content, making friends and learning about the world of Gaia at the same time.

I do not play anymore, but this isn't because I don't enjoy the game, this is because there is no new content. I almost feel like the users who are loyal to zOMG have been kicked and their money taken from them.

So Gaia, you think this is okay? To hint at new content, to move your developers etc to a facebook game that is a rip-off of Pokemon, to be constantly indifferent and ignore your users, take their hard saved/earned money for your own benefit just so you can wait a bit and say 'Sorry, we don't feel like doing this anymore'.

I'm going to be blunt and harsh here, as an avid gamer of both console, pc and online games. Keeping an mmorpg/online game going is hard, it requires a lot of resources, money, and ideas. You've proven to us your creativity and shown us just how fantastic zOMG has been because you put in the effort. But for some time now, as a company I wouldn't say you've put in any effort at all. You've ignored the game, ignored the users, and left one person to do everything on zOMG whilst you dilly dally around with Monster Galaxy.

I won't forgive Gaia for what it has done to those people who have supported zOMG for so long. I've read countless ATA sessions to see what Lanzer had said to those who asked him about zOMG - most of the time the users were outright ignored or given answers like 'We don't know at this time'.

Time-traveling Senshi

I'm afraid it's too late to do some of the things people cry out that Gaia should be doing to "save" zOMG. They could actually link the two plots together and finally have what's happening in zOMG affect the rest of the overall lore of the site but it's too late for that. They never planned to do that from day one. They could start marketing the game to attract players from outside the site but again it's too late for that. They could give users a reason to play the game again but it's too late for that as well. Anything they do to get people outside of the niche group of players to play zOMG will be too late for it. It should have been done from day one of the game. The game was glitched, people didn't see the need to be in a clan because those were never given much importance, the plot was kept ten zillion miles away from the overall site lore to the point where the game took place in quasi Gaia reality. It was never, aside from a single comic, made to feel as though it was a part of the actual Gaia world.

Honestly, if you guys didn't whine and complain when you didn't get what you wanted from Gaia a good portion of the site wouldn't even know the game was still around. A lot of people have lost interest in it because they never built in any room for PvP, never built in any ways for people start over if they screwed up, forced people into a gameplay dynamic they were never used to because they wanted it to be a social MMO where you had to team up with people, who honestly didn't want to go back and help those who were stuck at a lower level, and not a serious MMO where you could go about it solo if you wanted to. The users certainly didn't do jack to get people who weren't on Gaia to begin with to come to the site and play zOMG and stick around after that. The game was always made to be an internal thing only to be used by existing members of the site and never something new users could get into. So I would quit acting like this was some huge surprising blow and face facts that it was doomed from day one because Gaia didn't know how to properly market the thing and didn't know how to connect the game to the overall lore of the site like they said they were going to try and do and those playing it barely helped to spread the word of the game to get new users.

Thank you for writing this.<3
I'm not surprised at this, I'm really not. I figured something like this would happen eventually, I'm just waiting for the other games to have similar fate.

From a person who despites crewing outside of Papa Saw for many reasons, I would have LOVED to see a single player option for things past Bass'ken Lake. No loot drops, low gold intake, a bit harder to get badges from baddies, and no orbs would have been an okay comprimise. Just so I could get the badge from completing and getting through Sea Lab.

But I guess that will never happen now. I guess I better keep to Papa Saw before I can't even do that properly.

In a relationship with Redstar Galaxy

Unholy Lightbringer

40,590 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
First it was FS, another promised "perma-feature", taken down and, now, zOMG is also on the way out... Its like Gaia Interactive is trying to kill the Gaia Online userbase on purpose... cat_emo

In a relationship with Redstar Galaxy

Unholy Lightbringer

40,590 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Chibi Halo
User Image

Look, I completely DISAGREE with everything you said, because the zCommunity has been making an effort for a long time, EXCEPT management doesn't give a flyin' ******** about SF (see this thread for examples of the effort: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/site-feedback/monetize-zomg-update-12-22-11/t.67580717/ ) cat_stare

AND... Just because the SF wasn't BiTCHIN' 24-7 about zOMG doesn't mean the zCommunity hasn't been vocal, because it has (i.e. If you used the search feature or just surfed the zOMG forum, you'd find the many, many Gaians who have actively petitioned and suggested ideas about what zOMG could do! cat_evil

Also...

1) PvP is stupid and lack of PvP is a terribly pathetic reason to justify poor decisions made by an equally pathetic management cat_mad
2) If you can't solo zOMG, you clearly have never play'd zOMG (or used Gaia before, because there are so many freekin' easy-to-read/access guides on how to do this) cat_stressed

Galactic Gaian

39,375 Points
  • Galactic Gaian 500
  • Wing Mastery 100
Thank you for writing this...

You've said it all... I've put a lot of money into your site, into zOMG... and this is what you do...? It makes me sad...

Loving Ram

76,050 Points
  • Wandering Ram 500
  • Champion 300
  • Wing Mastery 100
Thank you for putting together the community's thoughts on the matter. I really wish we could somehow stop the FB games or somehow push them to work on zOMG more...this really feels like a punch to the stomach or the kidney, and this news ruined all the joy from the recent site-events...
I am really, really disappointed in Gaia. They are making poor decisions.

Dangerous Tycoon

10,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Hello. I too am a supporter of Gaias zOMG. From the very beginning. I love the gaiaonline but them shelving zOMG is really a low blow to the nuts. zOMG holds lots of promises. From its very beggining, to the arena's and lastly from the latest update which is the DMS. It saddens me alot to hear this sad news gaia. Please listen to zOMG supporters.

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I almost want to wish their FB projects will fail so they'll learn their lesson.

This is a bad move Gaia. Last year I vowed not to buy GC unless you guys do something for zOMG!. And now, reading about this news, I made up my mind not to spend a single cent so you can finance projects I will never really use.

Dapper Gaian

16,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Millionaire 200
Iyira
I'm quite frankly appalled at this decision, and extremely disappointed with Gaia.

I had so much fun when zOMG started out, and continued to have fun for months as I slowly and gradually went through all the content, making friends and learning about the world of Gaia at the same time.

I do not play anymore, but this isn't because I don't enjoy the game, this is because there is no new content. I almost feel like the users who are loyal to zOMG have been kicked and their money taken from them.

So Gaia, you think this is okay? To hint at new content, to move your developers etc to a facebook game that is a rip-off of Pokemon, to be constantly indifferent and ignore your users, take their hard saved/earned money for your own benefit just so you can wait a bit and say 'Sorry, we don't feel like doing this anymore'.

I'm going to be blunt and harsh here, as an avid gamer of both console, pc and online games. Keeping an mmorpg/online game going is hard, it requires a lot of resources, money, and ideas. You've proven to us your creativity and shown us just how fantastic zOMG has been because you put in the effort. But for some time now, as a company I wouldn't say you've put in any effort at all. You've ignored the game, ignored the users, and left one person to do everything on zOMG whilst you dilly dally around with Monster Galaxy.

I won't forgive Gaia for what it has done to those people who have supported zOMG for so long. I've read countless ATA sessions to see what Lanzer had said to those who asked him about zOMG - most of the time the users were outright ignored or given answers like 'We don't know at this time'.
pfff i already emailed gaia hq (nothing back yet) pmed lanzer and some other people about the fact gaia online was based around an MMO that they dident have because of funding issues, and when they finally got the MMO they wanted, they just let it go ...

Aged Lunatic

15,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
fire monkey95
pfff i already emailed gaia hq (nothing back yet) pmed lanzer and some other people about the fact gaia online was based around an MMO that they dident have because of funding issues, and when they finally got the MMO they wanted, they just let it go ...

Than you would be quite mistaken, because Gaiaonline was never based around an MMO. Gaiaonline was originally Go-Gaia and based around an Anime Link List. The MMO talk came later, and was nothing more than talk for the longest time. Gaiaonline has never been, and never will be, based solely around zOMG.

Dapper Gaian

16,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Millionaire 200
hibi-tea
fire monkey95

Than you would be quite mistaken, because Gaiaonline was never based around an MMO. Gaiaonline was originally Go-Gaia and based around an Anime Link List. The MMO talk came later, and was nothing more than talk for the longest time. Gaiaonline has never been, and never will be, based solely around zOMG.
think you need to read up a little more ... go-gaia/gaia online was a online fourm based community ... they got the idea after being big fans of this , but because of lack of funds they couldent get a MMO of there own ... so they had all of the other features (fourms and amrket place ect ect) added untill they had funds for a MMO 3nodding

Aged Lunatic

15,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
fire monkey95
think you need to read up a little more ... go-gaia/gaia online was a online fourm based community ... they got the idea after being big fans of this , but because of lack of funds they couldent get a MMO of there own ... so they had all of the other features (fourms and amrket place ect ect) added untill they had funds for a MMO 3nodding

I don't need to read up on anything since I've been on this site since August, 20th 2003. They did not have the idea for the MMO right away, or if they did it was not discussed with the community when they were toying around with it early on.

This site was called Go-Gaia and the only thing there was to it was an Anime Link List. A handful of forums, about 3 or 4 shops and the world map. Fishing and the Marketplace didn't come out until I was on this site for more than a couple months.

And not until right before or right after they switched to being called Gaiaonline did I ever once hear anything about an MMO. So if they had the idea from the inception, they kept it close to the chest for a VERY long time.

Just because they were inspired by Ragnarok does not mean they were automatically inspired to turn this site into what Ragnarok is, which is an entire MMO. It's not a predominately forum-based community with an MMO on the side.

Dapper Gaian

16,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Millionaire 200
hibi-tea
fire monkey95

I don't need to read up on anything since I've been on this site since August, 20th 2003. They did not have the idea for the MMO right away, or if they did it was not discussed with the community when they were toying around with it early on.

This site was called Go-Gaia and the only thing there was to it was an Anime Link List. A handful of forums, about 3 or 4 shops and the world map. Fishing and the Marketplace didn't come out until I was on this site for more than a couple months.

And not until right before or right after they switched to being called Gaiaonline did I ever once hear anything about an MMO. So if they had the idea from the inception, they kept it close to the chest for a VERY long time.

Just because they were inspired by Ragnarok does not mean they were automatically inspired to turn this site into what Ragnarok is, which is an entire MMO. It's not a predominately forum-based community with an MMO on the side.
*face palm* they dident have funding in the biggining for a MMO, so they made everything else around it ... so although a mp and ect ect wasent there immiditly it was all added while they triend to get funding for there MMO ...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff