Welcome to Gaia! ::

Khaleesi

Antiq
Wally_West
Antiq
Wally_West
Alchemy relies FAR too heavily on chance and not enough on skill and dedication to Gaia. I either have to be lucky to get the components in DC or blow my gold on them in the marketplace.

There is no sense of accomplishment from that.

The newer formulas improve on this a bit, but I still can't craft 90% of the formulas in my inventory unless I want to blow a million gold on something VASTLY not worth it or just sort of sit here and HOPE I'm lucky enough to nail a component I need, maybe.

This, so much!

And it's not like I haven't TRIED to get the components. I have a fair number of roleplaying accounts, and I've been hitting DC with them almost daily.

So far, since Alchemy came out, on my over a dozen accounts, I have gotten one gum rubber, one microchip, one superduperglue. Not even enough to do one level one formula.

neutral

You have to be lucky to MAYBE get a formula, then you have to be lucky to MAYBE get the components for it (if they're released) and then you have to be lucky to MAYBE be able to craft it!

I get that RIGs have done well for Gaia, but not every single function on the site has to be relegated to a game of chance! stressed

Heh heh. Since components started trickling out many weeks ago, I have received from DC.....wait for it.......none! 3 accounts, every day, for weeks. I got one Fat Cat alert with a high level formula in it which I haven't a hope of making, and some sprinkle things from an Enki catch once. That's it. The only formula I have been able to make a few times is the Starter Kit one.
They said they would increase the DC component awards - it seems they did. Lots of Amigo pants and Ocean tops emotion_facepalm

Indeed. I just clicked it and the first award I got was 4th Amigo Lucki Pants rofl That's really not going to help me, Gaia.

Beloved Elder

7,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
Antiq
Wally_West
Antiq
Wally_West
Alchemy relies FAR too heavily on chance and not enough on skill and dedication to Gaia. I either have to be lucky to get the components in DC or blow my gold on them in the marketplace.

The newer formulas improve on this a bit, but I still can't craft 90% of the formulas in my inventory unless I want to blow a million gold on something VASTLY not worth it or just sort of sit here and HOPE I'm lucky enough to nail a component I need, maybe.

This, so much!

And it's not like I haven't TRIED to get the components. I have a fair number of roleplaying accounts, and I've been hitting DC with them almost daily.

So far, since Alchemy came out, on my over a dozen accounts, I have gotten one gum rubber, one microchip, one superduperglue. Not even enough to do one level one formula.

neutral

You have to be lucky to MAYBE get a formula, then you have to be lucky to MAYBE get the components for it (if they're released) and then you have to be lucky to MAYBE be able to craft it!

I get that RIGs have done well for Gaia, but not every single function on the site has to be relegated to a game of chance! stressed

Heh heh. Since components started trickling out many weeks ago, I have received from DC.....wait for it.......none! 3 accounts, every day, for weeks. I got one Fat Cat alert with a high level formula in it which I haven't a hope of making, and some sprinkle things from an Enki catch once. That's it. The only formula I have been able to make a few times is the Starter Kit one.
They said they would increase the DC component awards - it seems they did. Lots of Amigo pants and Ocean tops emotion_facepalm

since this all started and even before I got 1 alchemy component
I sold it for 69k
just one. 69k. EXPLAIN THAT.

5,550 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I like the idea of making old, rare items. And of course, you have to be level 10 to make most of these old rare items. Most people won't even make it close to that far, judging by how hard it is to get to level 10. Than, you have to get the recipe, all the ingredients (with many, you need to make the components which are very difficult to make, and you may even need to take the time to make the components you need to make the components, etc...), than pay lots of gold and hope you succeed. I find it fair, with the very large amount of work going into the process. It's a good alternative to cash in my opinion. It's still very difficult to get, but now, it's accessible to more people.

Khaleesi

strudelStrifer
I like the idea of making old, rare items. And of course, you have to be level 10 to make most of these old rare items. Most people won't even make it close to that far, judging by how hard it is to get to level 10. Than, you have to get the recipe, all the ingredients (with many, you need to make the components which are very difficult to make, and you may even need to take the time to make the components you need to make the components, etc...), than pay lots of gold and hope you succeed. I find it fair, with the very large amount of work going into the process. It's a good alternative to cash in my opinion. It's still very difficult to get, but now, it's accessible to more people.

I don't think you did a good job of describing how it's a good alternative (at least in its present state). Most ingredients are limited (or entirely unavailable). And they basically all cost more to make rather than just buying them on the market with pure gold (which is a cash shop alternative).

5,550 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer

I don't think you did a good job of describing how it's a good alternative (at least in its present state). Most ingredients are limited (or entirely unavailable). And they basically all cost more to make rather than just buying them on the market with pure gold (which is a cash shop alternative).
Sorry, I wasn't completely clear on that. The concept of making things is a good alternative in my opinion. However, the market will have to settle down a bit (or a lot) for this to be a comparable way of obtaining it. And also, ingredients will never be limited if the items/methods that give them are unlimited. Eventually the market will settle (once Gaia takes more action to force it to settle) and all will be well. 3nodding

Khaleesi

strudelStrifer
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear on that. The concept of making things is a good alternative in my opinion. However, the market will have to settle down a bit (or a lot) for this to be a comparable way of obtaining it. And also, ingredients will never be limited if the items/methods that give them are unlimited. Eventually the market will settle (once Gaia takes more action to force it to settle) and all will be well. 3nodding

It has less to do with the market settling, and more to do with the the large quantities required of limited items, compounded with the overall cost of making them being ridiculous (or in many cases, simply impossible). The efforts Gaia has put forth so far haven't done much to make alchemy something that anyone can try to do.

5,550 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer

It has less to do with the market settling, and more to do with the the large quantities required of limited items, compounded with the overall cost of making them being ridiculous (or in many cases, simply impossible). The efforts Gaia has put forth so far haven't done much to make alchemy something that anyone can try to do.

I think they're slowly trying to get more items in in suble ways. smile
Ivan's Surplus revived lots of old RIG items to the marketplace, and I've noticed that the current RIG has started giving out more older items once you lose. They've also released a few old items into Daily Chance. Enki's Catch and the new zOMG! based recipes helped lower level alchemists make recipes, and the golden giftbox recipe helped introduce a lot more golden giftboxes than there would be usually. They're taking it slow and thinking of their movements. I wish they'd make it a bit faster, but oh well. All will be good in due time. 3nodding

Khaleesi

strudelStrifer
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer

Ivan's Surplus revived lots of old RIG items to the marketplace, and I've noticed that the current RIG has started giving out more older items once you lose. They've also released a few old items into Daily Chance. Enki's Catch and the new zOMG! based recipes helped lower level alchemists make recipes, and the golden giftbox recipe helped introduce a lot more golden giftboxes than there would be usually. They're taking it slow and thinking of their movements. I wish they'd make it a bit faster, but oh well. All will be good in due time. 3nodding

Ivan's surplus released quite a few fail items, but tha'ts more or less not the biggest problem with the RIGs. The gold giftbox is a good idea, but it's not permanent (and since it's not permanent, the supplies required a pretty ridiculous).

The Daily Chance has been discussed, there's lots of alchemy components coming out... Like an Ocean blue top and 4th amigo lucki pants >>; It's like they're skirting around the items that are ACTUALLY needed.

I've also noticed that the golden giftbox hasn't really been spitting out many components, it's just more rare formulas.

Enki is a good idea, but I'm not sure how much that's been helping either... We probably need more things like that which REALLY put out a lot of components. We also need the quantities adjusted so it's not so extreme for all the recipes. Basically the entire feature needs to be reworked so people have an incentive to participate.

5,550 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer

Ivan's surplus released quite a few fail items, but tha'ts more or less not the biggest problem with the RIGs. The gold giftbox is a good idea, but it's not permanent (and since it's not permanent, the supplies required a pretty ridiculous).

The Daily Chance has been discussed, there's lots of alchemy components coming out... Like an Ocean blue top and 4th amigo lucki pants >>; It's like they're skirting around the items that are ACTUALLY needed.

I've also noticed that the golden giftbox hasn't really been spitting out many components, it's just more rare formulas.

Enki is a good idea, but I'm not sure how much that's been helping either... We probably need more things like that which REALLY put out a lot of components. We also need the quantities adjusted so it's not so extreme for all the recipes. Basically the entire feature needs to be reworked so people have an incentive to participate.
I agree, there needs to be some heavy reworking. Unfortunately, the golden giftboxes tend to spit out way too many formulas, and many formulas are a bit high proportioned. I haven't seen many DC changes personally. I really like the concept of new materials and such, but the implementation hasn't been the best. What I really like about Gaia though is that they actually listened to us and implemented what we wanted, like easier formulas and components that could be farmed from BG. They just need to make components a lot more prominent, and they'll be set.

Shirtless Powerhouse

Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer
Angel in a Bottle
strudelStrifer

Enki, for the record, only seems to spit out components that are exclusively used in recipes that are dropped by Enki.

So he's not really helping anything at all.

7,750 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Generous 100

Informer

Antiq
Wally_West
Antiq
Wally_West

This, so much!

neutral

^ This, 5 accounts, DC, every day, aquariums, every day, dumspter dive, every day, booty grabbed, every day. Not a single component.

Informer

Oh not to mention, I don't consider Blue ocean tank tops ofr 4th lucky amigo pants "Alchemy" drops, because technically? They are not. They were in the DC system before alchemy, just because they happened to Incorporate them in a formula does not account for the other items that you need in that same recipe that do not come from a gold shop.

Also I haven't really seen much work, or haven't been informed. Have they started making "alternative pathways" in other formulas OTHER then the golden giftbox? Important.

Friendly Friend

7,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
User ImageUser Image
I'm rather frustrated with the alchemy system overall, but I wouldn't say do away with it, either. I am frustrated that Gaia says one thing and does another (and has done so several times in the past) without considering the possible side-effects of their decision.

I do think it's fair to have some older items be craftable, as the site has expanded a lot over the years, and there are so many more members now than in the past, so there may not be enough of any one item available for all the people who want it. I think it's fair to give them an option to be able to make the items. I do however think that extremely hard-to-attain items should be fairly costly to make, but I'm fairly sure they are, else I would have been able to afford a marionette by now :/

I also think that they may be letting some of these special items be craftable as a pre-cursor to future recipes (such as recolored marionettes, they may require old marionettes to craft, but if there were only a handful, there'd be an even smaller handful after the recolored versions came out as alchemy).

Also, as for the recipes being available for 1GC, that doesn't change the fact that it's usually expensive to craft the item, and it does still rely on chance, so you may waste tons of gold and supplies trying to make the item; far more than it would have cost you to just buy the item. Also, I think a good portion of people would rather pay the 149 GC to get the RIG or whatever out of the cash shop rather than fumble with a bunch of failed attempts and wasted supplies to try and craft the thing, especially if they aren't into alchemy (like me)

Informer

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces