Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Shapeshifter

17,125 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Brandisher 100
Sonic Offline
Personally, I don't see why people can't learn to just stop caring. This isn't going to stop muletrolls from mass-downvoting it, nor stop the people who have the voting enabled from seeing the mass downvote.

Then suggest "You have to post if you want to vote" instead of being obvious ;3 -wink wink-

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Anathema Device
Sonic Offline
Personally, I don't see why people can't learn to just stop caring. This isn't going to stop muletrolls from mass-downvoting it, nor stop the people who have the voting enabled from seeing the mass downvote.

.... but it will stop the people who have it disabled from seeing that s**t. Which some people want. It's kind of a win win.
The point is you don't want to see it mass-downvoted because it makes the thread look bad, correct?

Eloquent Lunatic

Sonic Offline
Anathema Device
Sonic Offline

.... but it will stop the people who have it disabled from seeing that s**t. Which some people want. It's kind of a win win.
The point is you don't want to see it mass-downvoted because it makes the thread look bad, correct?

No, the point is that many people- for various reasons... do not like the like/dislike system. Allowing users to opt out of it (as many other site features allow us to do) is a very good option, which should basically appease everyone. Except those people who are not content with making their own decisions and want to tell other people how to make theirs.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Sonic Offline

That’s not the point of this idea, it will allow those who care about that to not see it , which is what some people who have a problem with the voting system. Its better than having it removed like some other users want
Hmm...

What about instead of disabling it for the user, we can choose to disable it on the thread itself?

Cuz I do like seeing up and down votes in SF... but I feel other forums lack the necessity for it, and people will up/down vote based on their personal opinion of you instead. (Exchange, etc)

I'm sure if someone makes a petition they will want to see up/down votes as well, without exposing them to votes in other forums etcetc.

Edit: Oh.. you're suggesting just hiding it from that person's view. I see. Then no, I disagree, because it's not solving the reason why people are getting bothered by it.

A person shouldn't be forced to subject themself to the up/down system, if they feel bothered by it. It was implemented to get top rated threads spotlighted. If a person chooses to disable the feature on their own thread, that simply means it will never be spotlighted. Which I think is fine to leave up to the thread owner. Because despite what people think, it is not uncommon for the down vote system to be used as a troll method. Now whether those negative votes actually bother the owner is another story, but there ARE some people who find it quite troubling. And lets be honest... I can't help but think the people who enjoy this system, enjoy having the ability to drag down a thread without even having to post in it. Because that IS the most common use of this whole system. Overall, I feel it is counterproductive. In sf for example, rather than explaining why they dislike an idea, or posting constructive criticism, people will just mass downvote without a peep.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Miles To Go
Hmm...

What about instead of disabling it for the user, we can choose to disable it on the thread itself?

Cuz I do like seeing up and down votes in SF... but I feel other forums lack the necessity for it, and people will up/down vote based on their personal opinion of you instead. (Exchange, etc)

I'm sure if someone makes a petition they will want to see up/down votes as well, without exposing them to votes in other forums etcetc.

Edit: Oh.. you're suggesting just hiding it from that person's view. I see. Then no, I disagree, because it's not solving the reason why people are getting bothered by it.

A person shouldn't be forced to subject themself to the up/down system, if they feel bothered by it. It was implemented to get top rated threads spotlighted. If a person chooses to disable the feature on their own thread, that simply means it will never be spotlighted. Which I think is fine to leave up to the thread owner. Because despite what people think, it is not uncommon for the down vote system to be used as a troll method. Now whether those negative votes actually bother the owner is another story, but there ARE some people who find it quite troubling. And lets be honest... I can't help but think the people who enjoy this system, enjoy having the ability to drag down a thread without even having to post in it. Because that IS the most common use of this whole system. Overall, I feel it is counterproductive. In sf for example, rather than explaining why they dislike an idea, or posting constructive criticism, people will just mass downvote without a peep.

No one is being forced to do anything, right now they have the ability not to vote if they don’t want to . And if they disable the feature it doesn’t mean their thread won’t be spotlighted because it means the user won’t be able to SEE the system. The thread still can be voted on and spotlighted but they won’t be able to see how many up/down votes they have nor can they vote.

And they might be trolling, but the people who enjoy the system are not all about being able to drag down a thread but like expressing their opinion. And in SF people don’t want to say what’s already been said and bump up a thread so they use the system.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Keeping this alive for further feedback

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
I'm all for this. It'll more or less act as a placebo effect, but it should stop some butthurt.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Mitsumi-chan
I'm all for this. It'll more or less act as a placebo effect, but it should stop some butthurt.

Glad you like it, anything right now I suppose would work even if it is a placebo effect

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

User Image

What about if you made it optional, on the thread?
Such as with polls; you can choose to add a poll to your thread.
Maybe if it were optional to add the voting system TO your thread,
it may be a little better.
That way, it's up to you whether you want to use it or not.
Just "hiding" the option on your account, it can still get up, or downvoted either way.

User Image

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
Himemiya Neko
User Image

Just "hiding" the option on your account, it can still get up, or downvoted either way.

User Image
It can still get upvoted or downvoted, but you wouldn't see it so why care?

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Himemiya Neko
User Image

User Image

I’d rather it be optional to the user, that way both parties would be happy. Just taking it away from the thread only would make one side happy. Those who want the voting system gone.

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

Valheita

User Image

Because people would STILL care.
A lot of people get butthurt on Gaia.
Even if they chose to hide it, they would still want to know anyway.
So therefore, they would change it so they can see it again.

But, if you made it optional for the entire feature on a thread,
that means no one could vote on it at all, if you didn't want them to.

User Image

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

Tsuki_Kirkland

I’d rather it be optional to the user, that way both parties would be happy. Just taking it away from the thread only would make one side happy. Those who want the voting system gone.

User Image

The voting system, being there, is entirely optional already. It's just the OP who really cares about the votes.
And I mean optional in the sense, is that you DON'T have to click on the buttons if you do not wish to.

I would see no problem with someone wanting it to be an optional feature on their thread.
You're at least giving the person the choice, if they WANT their thread to be voted or not.
I find it silly when I post in Q&A, and it's there to begin with; I don't see the point
of it being there.

If it's a thread in the CB, that holds no information in it, there would be no need for the feature
to begin with - It really doesn't pertain to anything in the thread.
But if it were an Art Store, or something like that, than yes, the feature would actually be worth something.

User Image

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
Himemiya Neko
Valheita

User Image

Because people would STILL care.
A lot of people get butthurt on Gaia.
Even if they chose to hide it, they would still want to know anyway.
So therefore, they would change it so they can see it again.

But, if you made it optional for the entire feature on a thread,
that means no one could vote on it at all, if you didn't want them to.

User Image
And if they expose themselves to something that upsets them, even given the option to ignore it, this is a problem?

Frankly, I prefer the OPs idea. A way to sweep it under the rug for the sensitive, without impacting the forum "experience" for the rest of us.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff