Lonely Smoker

20,115 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Millionaire 200
My Best Enemy
Jayce Reinhardt
My Best Enemy

Sorry if this comes off as rude, but this is how erroneous rumors begin.

The presentation was given by Gaia's illustrious (-insert sarcasm here because people on the Internet don't seem to have sarcasm detectors-) COO to just a random group of other gaming site bosses. The Gaia staff other than the COO wasn't there. It is a overall look of gamification not only on Gaia but throughout other sites. The reason why users here in Gaia got angry was because the presentation was given by the current COO and the example of Flynn's parts.

But if he has that mindset it does stand to reason that this would be his vision of how Gaia is supposed to be run.

I think that is what was really upsetting people. (Regardless of everyone and their brother doing it)

User Image

That I am not arguing at all, because it is true. However the person I was quoting was under the assumption that the presentation was given to Gaia staff members when it was not.

I was completely pissed off by the incident, I still am, but that is no excuse for not sticking to the facts.

I'm not under the assumption that it was given to Gaia staff members, upon re-reading my previous comment I know it comes off that way. I am aware that this was not even held at Gaia HQ, although the thread I linked said it was (I only linked the thread because it contained the pictures I was talking about). I know that this was pretty much a one off, and wasn't much to even DO with GaiaOnline. However, it WAS given by someone who is involved with Gaia. If the Chief Operating Officer of Gaia gives a presentation that compares online users to lab-rats, we would assume that this is how they felt about us. And that's why so many people got upset.

Magical Raider

DO NOT LET THIS DIE.

Angelic Cat

23,165 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Snowball Hero 200
Suicidal Dustbunny
My Best Enemy
Jayce Reinhardt
My Best Enemy

Sorry if this comes off as rude, but this is how erroneous rumors begin.

The presentation was given by Gaia's illustrious (-insert sarcasm here because people on the Internet don't seem to have sarcasm detectors-) COO to just a random group of other gaming site bosses. The Gaia staff other than the COO wasn't there. It is a overall look of gamification not only on Gaia but throughout other sites. The reason why users here in Gaia got angry was because the presentation was given by the current COO and the example of Flynn's parts.

But if he has that mindset it does stand to reason that this would be his vision of how Gaia is supposed to be run.

I think that is what was really upsetting people. (Regardless of everyone and their brother doing it)

User Image

That I am not arguing at all, because it is true. However the person I was quoting was under the assumption that the presentation was given to Gaia staff members when it was not.

I was completely pissed off by the incident, I still am, but that is no excuse for not sticking to the facts.

I'm not under the assumption that it was given to Gaia staff members, upon re-reading my previous comment I know it comes off that way. I am aware that this was not even held at Gaia HQ, although the thread I linked said it was (I only linked the thread because it contained the pictures I was talking about). I know that this was pretty much a one off, and wasn't much to even DO with GaiaOnline. However, it WAS given by someone who is involved with Gaia. If the Chief Operating Officer of Gaia gives a presentation that compares online users to lab-rats, we would assume that this is how they felt about us. And that's why so many people got upset.

I remember there was a picture of a slide with the Flynn's booty image. So while he was talking about this to people outside gaia hq, it was sorta obvious that he was applying the strategy to gaia.

Healing Giver

12,750 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Hesitant Participant 100
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
I ******** KNEW something was amiss when I came back from a long hiatus from the website and saw the ridiculous inflation in the marketplace.

Can someone get me a TARDIS so I can go back to pre-2008?

Lonely Smoker

20,115 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Millionaire 200
EtherealMiko
I ******** KNEW something was amiss when I came back from a long hiatus from the website and saw the ridiculous inflation in the marketplace.

Only if we can all come with you. Shouldn't be a problem, the Tardis is bigger on the inside anyway, and there aren't many Gaian's left to fit inside!

Invisible Diamond

I'm pretty annoyed with what Gaia has done and I want to see some real answers. Otherwise I will not be spending real money on the site anymore.
Suicidal Dustbunny
EtherealMiko

Only if we can all come with you. Shouldn't be a problem, the Tardis is bigger on the inside anyway, and there aren't many Gaian's left to fit inside!
I'd hop on that. Not a big Dr. Who fan but any time travel machine willing to go back to better times, I'm all on board for that.

Ruthless Sex Symbol

WHERE IS PART 6: THE RESPONSE

OR PART 6: THE FINALE
420dogs

The staff do not respect us enough to give us a response.
Skullmiser
420dogs

Don't worry there will be more scandals, it's Neo-Gaia.

And the staff are all hiding away pretending nothing's wrong and hoping that it will die down. It's why I profusely post in this thread to keep it to the top. People need to know since it seems not many do.

Gambino Lover

Suicidal Dustbunny
Minty-MANZANA
O.T.L.
Suicidal Dustbunny
As more and more people see the thread, I wonder how long Gaia staff can ignore it?

I mean, I imagine they've been told to just sweep it under, ignore it, carry on as usual.

But I know that I'm not going to suddenly lose interest, and neither are loads of other people. They'll have to address this eventually... right?

Unfortunately, probably not. Gaia's gotten pretty good at ignoring things like this for quite some time now (even well before the current management); it's a pretty safe bet that they're not planning on addressing it any further than they already have.

If you're familiar with the "gamification" debacle ("Dopamine, baby!" wink , there was a fairly substantial uproar from the community over that (for some reason, some users didn't like being compared to lab rats; go figure). An admin made one post on the subject, basically saying "that presentation wasn't at Gaia HQ or to Gaia staff, therefore it isn't relevant" (despite all the reasons it was relevant); they haven't readdressed it since. That was last year. They'll ignore this, too. If they were going to address it further, they would have already done so. Now they'll just wait it out and pretend it never happened, until everyone moves on (probably when they make another ill-considered decision).

Excuse me, I've seen before the "Dopamine, baby" sometimes in other related threads. But I don't know what it has to do with this. Is somewhere something in which I can read about it or something?

It was basically a thing that happened a while ago (About a year ago to be exact), some pictures were released of a staff meeting or something, in which a powerpoint compared Gaia users to lab-rats and the idea of gamification.

Here's a link to a thread with pictures.

Basically it was totally swept under the rug, it was never really talked about save for one or two admin responses, despite community uproar about it. It's relevant because it's another example of a big controversy coming to light, and then being totally ignored.

Whoa. What a douche.

Man I'm glad of not havin donated any dime to that guy ewww.

Shy Girl

7,525 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Eostar Dust
Skullmiser
420dogs

Don't worry there will be more scandals, it's Neo-Gaia.

And the staff are all hiding away pretending nothing's wrong and hoping that it will die down. It's why I profusely post in this thread to keep it to the top. People need to know since it seems not many do.

LONG LIVE THE GAIAN STUPIDITY! rolleyes -bookmarks page-
Seriously, we have gotta keep this alive somehow. Everyone should see this "business" and realize that Gaia is no longer the wonderful playground full of sunshine and rainbow ponies and trust and care, but instead is wrought with greed and corruption and stupidity.
Hey, kid, you wanna buy some Gaia gold?
And if they don't, then ignorance is bliss, I guess? confused
Why hasn't this spread to other corners of the Internet though.
sobacco
A lot of people don't see anything wrong with this. Some also don't understand what's going on and others probably don't care.

It might just be a site but it's a site that devours real money and if this is just one of many shady issues I think we need to n** them in the butt when they emerge.

Divine Muse

sobacco

Some people want this to go away and really don't give a s**t.

"People need to let this go" _The GCD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces